Author Topic: 5.5 month old can’t self sooth  (Read 3933 times)

Offline Hadar

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 06, 2020, 20:07:16 pm »
Hi forum,
So I have a 5.5 month old, her schedule is not constant since napping and wake times change each day. We did pu/pd combined with shush pat to get her to sleep. When finishing wind down routine - feed, bath, book, song, I put her to bed. She starts to babble and I leave the room. After ~10 mins she starts to cry slowly and finely when I think it’s a real cry after 15-20 mins have passed since putting her down I will go in the room and pu/pd or pat shush. She is used to sleep on her stomach so I place her on her stomach, but she will roll to back crying and not roll back until I pick her up and put her in this position (although she is a master in rolling to both side).
Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks!

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: 5.5 month old can’t self sooth
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 16:08:57 pm »
She may be going thru a developmental leap, especially if she's only just recently learned to roll over. IME every time a new skill "comes online," little ones are compelled to practice it over 7 over.

Could also be the early onset of the 6-month growth spurt.

Is she cutting teeth? Those can hurt! Try some pain meds before sleep time, see if it makes a difference. :)

Offline Hadar

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 21:20:58 pm »
Hi! Thanks for your reply, she actually fell asleep alone today! After 10mins of talking  and another ten mins of complaining/crying (maybe this is the mantra cry?) she fell asleep! She is going through a development leap as she just started crawling.. but she has been having a hard time to fall asleep alone even before. Anyways today was perfect she also slept 1.5 hours in both naps 😅 I hope it’s not a one time thing.....