Author Topic: Advice please- PU/PD with 4 month old  (Read 3765 times)

Offline Lizzy1981

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 02, 2020, 19:45:05 pm »
Hi there
I am about to start doing pick up put down with our 4 month old as he is waking at night every 40 mins or so and I’m going mad.
There are a few things I am confused about though and would appreciate some guidance from those who have done it with a baby of this age

- should we shush pat him when in crib (and while holding)? Instead of saying calming things, hand on tummy etc?
- Can we start with a bedtime or should it really be with a nap? (He tends to take all his naps in the buggy as we have a very on-the-move toddler too)
- should I do PUPD after he’s fed at night (I assume I can’t just let him fall asleep at the boob as per usual?)
- how important is it that the room is very dark? Would it be ok to have a low lit lamp?

So grateful for any advice and of course inspirational success stories! I don’t want to have him crying too much as he’s still so small but I really am losing the plot

Thanks

Offline Henrys_Dad

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Advice please- PU/PD with 4 month old
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 21:10:26 pm »
I don’t have all the answers but will try with a few.

Be careful with shush pat as this may annoy them you’ll have to see had they react.
We started with night time then naps the following day then every other sleep time.
If you can get help from your partner do it, both be committed LO will cry and it is hard but take it in term 2 days on 2 days off, just the one person doing it at the same time no swapping.
Yes PU/PD after feed, you’re teaching them to go to sleep themselves not via food etc, so if they’re asleep give them a little nudge before putting them down.
Room should be calm and relaxed, use your judgement that a small none bright nightlight should be fine as long as it doesn’t distract.

Hope that’s a help.

Offline Lizzy1981

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Advice please- PU/PD with 4 month old
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 21:49:31 pm »
Thanks very much. Appreciate the reply. Hope it worked for you?