Author Topic: Babies of Oct-Dec /04  (Read 122779 times)

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 275
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #165 on: June 15, 2005, 23:57:40 pm »
Hi mom to Mia! Welcome!  :D  Love this thread. Such a good source of inspiration and support! I don't know about preemies either but I agree with the others advice. I also know up here they still say (as a guidline still) that the six month mark for solids is more important for bf babies and 4 months for ff.  Don't know which you are doing but...

Kathy, you crack me up!  It's fun to make the food isn't it?

Mimi, we don't really have a pattern for the teething stuff. We tend to just give it whenever she is particularly grizzly if you know what I mean. If she's had a tough day we'll give it to her before naps and night or we just wait and see overnight. Don't know if that helps...

Jennifer we're still having yuck weather so I can't help with the heat! But I do know how I feel after a day in the sunshine!  :lol:

Well we had a horrible night again. Dd was up every 1/2 hour.  :shock: This morning I figured "well, we're not sleeping anyways" and I bit the bullet and put dd down for her nap with no soother. I just feel I have to eliminate it as a source of all the wakings. It took 45 minutes of pu/pd then she slept for an hour. In the afternoon it only took 5 minutes of her sucking my fingers in between "waaah's" (broke my heart!) and she then slept for an hour and 40. Though naps haven't been our problem, just nights. I tell you I'm not looking forward to tonight!

Sharon

oh and thanks all for your support with Ella and her "lovin'" or lack there of!  :) I really needed it!!!

oh, oh..one more thing. I talked to the wonderful "Matthew's Mommy" and the schedule I posted is right on track. She also gave me a column by the sleep lady with some advice on early wakeups. Let me know if you're interested and I'll post it here.

really have to run now as dh thought it would be a good idea to babysit the neighbours children today!  :shock:
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Ella Rose November 20, 2004
Alexander James March 19, 2008

Offline Jadynsmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #166 on: June 16, 2005, 01:17:00 am »
Quote from: Mum to Ella Rose
She also gave me a column by the sleep lady with some advice on early wakeups. Let me know if you're interested and I'll post it here.

Sharon, would you post that schedule & also the advice on early wakeups? Oh, and wow, weaning of the ever so wanted paci???  Congrats!! I just don't have the guts to do it right now esp since I take it out after 5mins and she doesn't miss it.  What are you going to do when she wakes in the night or early morning?  You're a brave woman.  Good for you.
Quote from: Mum to Ella Rose
really have to run now as dh thought it would be a good idea to babysit the neighbours children today!  :shock:

Dh is pretty funny, isn't he?  I can't imagine my hubby 'volunterring' to babysit other children!!!  He he he.  Let us know how that goes. :lol:

Jennifer - Jadyn wakes pretty consistently at 7:15am.  She's usually like clockwork so when she wakes earlier, there's usually a reason for it.  I think she might have heard her daddy creaking around (our house is old & hardwood floor creaks) OR the sun might have crept in when daddy opened the living room and it came in her room.  Hopefully she won't make a habit of it.

As far as the heat, I just don't take her out in it for very long.  She's sooo fair that I'm afraid she'll get a sunburn on her almost bald head. :wink:  She has hair but it's so fine.  Gosh, can she get something of mine, eg thick dark hair?  I mean, come on, she has daddy's face, his personality (thank heavens for that cause he's soooo laid back & yes, I'm the high strung one), even his body type!!  Oh, well, I guess she did come out of me....  They all say that when she gets older she will look more like me.  I don't see how.

Talk to you ladies soon (I'm sure very soon) :wink:

lil'monkey

Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #167 on: June 16, 2005, 01:37:33 am »
OK, I'm totally confused!!!!   Here's how our day went:

Early wake up at 5:15, ignored her for 15 min - didn't work.  Feed her - didn't want it.  Hold her in the dark - after playing with my face for 25 min she dozes off but woke as soon as i lay her down.

Nap 1:  45 min - grunts for 15 min but won't go back to sleep.

Nap 2:  No nap - decided to take her shopping.  Didn't nap till we were going home, for 20min in car.  This was 4.5 hrs of awake time.

Nap 3:  No nap - but lots of babbling and rolling around in crib. 

Early Bedtime:  4.5 hrs from nap in car.  Thank goodness she went to sleep easily with no fuss.

I'm seriously thinking that dd should have only 2 naps now.  What do you ladies think?  This has been going off and on for a month now.  I want to use Sharon's schedule as a guide anyone using that or somthing similar? 

Alligirl,  I will add you to my prayers tonight!

Offline momtomiya

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Thanks for the welcome
« Reply #168 on: June 16, 2005, 01:43:33 am »
It was great to see the responses from you out "there". I'm not usually a computer person so when I saw the responses I figured that I actually do know something about computers!!
Well, Miya is showing signs of being ready for solids. She is hungrier earlier than usual, she opens her mouth real big when I bring a spoon to her to lick, she is sitting up with minimal support and she weighs 18 lbs!!  :shock:  The signs are there (oh, she's breastfed) but not too sure when to start.  I guess in the big picture of things it won't hurt to wait a few more weeks to  start and wait for her 6-month mark.  I guess I'll see in the next few days. If she continues to feed before the 4 hour mark and is real hungry maybe then she is clearly trying to tell me that it's time to start. She is also an angel baby and content with life so far, so waiting probably won't hurt. 
Thanks again for the responses :D

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #169 on: June 16, 2005, 01:44:20 am »
Hi again,

I just meant the "schedule" I was kind of figuring out a few posts back on moving to two naps and how feeding would work.

As for the paci weaning... I'm FREAKING out right now!  :lol: As I said, 1/2 hour pu/pd 1st nap, 5 min. "waahing" (so mantra cry) and finger sucking 2nd nap, just put her down for the night now (1/2 hr early I might add) And this is the big one...after her bottle we cuddle and she tucks into me (my only cuddles  :wink: ) and sucks her soother. So I was soooo scared to try no paci. But... she did it!!! I don't mean to jinx it but she didn't cry when I put her down! She chatted a bit and it's only been 15 minutes, but.. I'd definitely count this as a success! As for what I'm going to do when she wakes all night again, as I'm sure she will, I guess just pu/pd and hope for the best! Wish me luck!

Oh and the babysitting went fine. Basically dh got to play video games with the kids while I fed dd, did all the dishes, changed the diapers... :wink:

Here's the early waking thing Matthew's Mommy gave me:

(Partial excerpts from "Good Night, Sleep Tight")

Good Morning! Welcome to the most requested topic to be included in Snooze Week to date! Mornings for some of you, it seems, begin as early as 4 AM as others of you lounge around until 9 AM waiting for your baby to wake up. Both of these scenarios, however, can have their own repercussions. Waking up too early can mean a tired family and earlier naps, throwing off bedtime rituals later. Waking up too late does the opposite, pushing nap time to later in the day and sometimes prolonging bedtime. The solution is to find a schedule that works for you and your family and teach your child to stick to it!

Early risings sometimes have a very simple solution. If too much light is coming into the baby's room, buy room-darkening blinds (also good for napping). If an external noise-garbage trucks, songbirds, or a dad with a long commute who has turned on the shower-is waking him, you might want to try a white noise machine or a fan. Unfortunately, it's not always so simple.

If your child is awake at 6:00 or 6:30 a.m., cheerful, refreshed, and ready to start his day-even if you aren't-you'll probably have to live with it. That's a common and biologically appropriate wake-up time for a baby or small child. Remember to adapt the meal and nap schedule to suit his early hours.

Babies who wake up before 6:00 a.m., or who wake up cheerful at 6:00 or 6:30 but are a total grump by 7:00, are a different story. You need to intervene and coach him to sleep later. The longer you endure early risings, the harder it is to change the pattern, so I strongly suggest you address it now, even if it takes a few weeks to see results. Once they're older, it can take months. Make sure your early riser is getting enough daytime sleep because nap deprivation can cause poor night sleep and early awakenings.

If your baby is under 8months old and you think he is waking up very early because he is hungry, try waking him for a final feeding about 11:00 p.m. as an interim step, and also work on making sure he takes more food during the day.

When your early bird stirs, go to his room immediately. You want to try to get him back to sleep ASAP, not let him scream himself awake. Give him his lovey and try to soothe him back to sleep without picking him up. Follow the Sleep Lady Shuffle guidelines outlined in Good Night Sleep Tight). Even if he doesn't doze off again-and not all babies will at first-do not turn on the lights or get him out of his crib until 6:00 a.m. no matter how much he protests. Getting him up earlier, while it is still dark, sends a confusing message and is another example of intermittent reinforcement. He can't understand why he can get up in the dark at 5:45 a.m. but not at 2:15 a.m. Also, many parents I've worked with have learned the hard way that if they let him get up at 5:45 a.m., the next thing they know it's 5:30, 5:15, etc.

At this age, I usually recommend that the parent stay in the room for this early-morning routine. If, however, you feel your presence is encouraging him to be more awake, as often occurs with older children, you can try leaving his room after a bit of reassurance and see if he falls asleep again on his own. Check on him every ten to fifteen minutes. If you stay in the room, keep the interaction minimal. Try sitting in a chair with your eyes closed. When the clock finally strikes 6:00 a.m. and he's not falling asleep-and it can seem like it takes a very long time to reach 6:00 a.m.-leave the room for a minute or two. He may cry, but try not to let it bother you, you will be right back in a minute. When you come back in, make a big deal out of "good morning" time. Do your dramatic wake-up. The morning routine is the flip side of the bedtime-routine coin. Your goal is to help him distinguish between day and night, to know when it really is time to get up. Your message must be clear: "I'm getting you out of the crib because it's morning time-not because you were crying."

If your early riser is over 2 or 2.5 years old and sleeps in a bed, then you will have to return your child to their bed and treat this like a night wakening. Continue with your Shuffle position until the clock strikes 6:00 a.m. Consider using an alarm clock radio to help signal to your child when it is wake up time. If you sometimes let you child get out of bed and start the day before the music comes on then he or she will not take the alarm clock seriously!

Important points about early rising:

-Nap deprivation and too late a bedtime cause early rising!
-In other words, skipping naps and putting your child to bed later will cause early rising-I know it's not logical- you and I would never do that - but it is true!
-You can't assume your child needs less sleep than the average until they are taking decent naps and sleeping through the night for several weeks.
-Room darkening shades are critical!
-Early rising takes several weeks of utter consistency to change so stick with it!

Patience, consistency, and understanding of both your child and his needs are critical for this process to be successful. Be firm and be loving and good mornings will be right around the corner! I wish you both many happy mornings together!
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #170 on: June 16, 2005, 02:25:21 am »
Gawd I post a lot!!  :lol:

First off, Mom to Miya, I am sooo sorry I spelt your lo's name wrong in my last post! Even though I a VERY sleep deprived that was just careless and I'm sorry!  :oops:

I was posting my looooong last one at the same time as momtomiya's came in and Mimi's so I hadn't read them yet. I just wanted to say that even though we are having a hard time at night it really sounds to me Mimi that your lo is ready for two naps. So far it's working well for us...dd is happier and as I said Matthew's Mommy was a big help in saying we're on track. It did take up to a week or so to get it going but dd is definitely happier during the day. She just wouldn't take that last nap! Let me know what you decide and how it goes!

And sounds to me mom to Miya that you're right on track! If dd is getting that excited and opening her mouth it seems she's gearing up!  :D  But you're also right in saying you're okay to wait. Especially if she's bf. And I like keeping an eye out on the intake. (as much as you can bf..) Dd was drinking over 40oz a day when we started solids!  :shock:

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Offline alligirl

• Showing Appreciation 34
  • Our little lady!
    • My blog
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #171 on: June 16, 2005, 12:56:28 pm »
Hello all!  Just an update on our pulmonary appt yesterday (I'm gonna post this on the Health board, too, but I wanted to post an update here since I asked for your thoughts and prayers).

It went great!!  I'm so happy with that doc and he said that he thinks this is something that Z will grow out of by his first birhtday (I can't see that happening, but we'll have to wait and see).  He said as long as his reflux pain was being controlled by meds, he couldn't see that there was much more to do right now.  So I'm feeling like a huge weight has been lifted!

Thanks so much for your thoughts and prayers! :D

OH, and Z slept through till nearly 6 without the 11 and 2 waking!  BIG SIGH OF RELIEF!  I needed a good nights sleep!
Alli-
Stephen Alexander 01/27/03
Zachary Christopher 11/11/04
Marc-Adam Garrison 10/26/06
Genevieve Cathryn 05/07/09

Offline cazao

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #172 on: June 16, 2005, 14:54:08 pm »
yay!!! way to go alli. that`s great news.... :lol:
Our beautiful baby girl is....

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #173 on: June 16, 2005, 15:27:45 pm »
That's wonderful Alli! So happy for you all. And a decent nights sleep to boot! Yeah!  :D

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Offline Jadynsmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #174 on: June 16, 2005, 15:55:53 pm »
I am so happy for you Alli!! That's super fantastic.   :D  :D

Thank you Sharon for posting that article.  Don't you know it, as soon as I read that, this morning Jadyn gets up at 5:45am.  I tried for 30 mins to put her back to sleep and I thought she was down but in the very end, she raised her head & dropped her paci.  When she drops that paci & raises her head, it's over!! She won!!  I knew I had lost this battle.  I nursed her at 6:15 & went on with our day.  Daddy was still in bed so I can't blame it on him or the sun going in. :P  I don't know what's up with this early waking.  I guess since putting her down is going so easy & she's sleeping through her 45mins, she's gotta throw something in there just for me. :wink:  I really hope tomorrow she will be asleep at 6am........

well, her eating solids has taking a turn.  She ate a little this morning (pear & cereal) and she clenched her mouth shut after a couple of bites.  I thought she's just very distracted & turned her head to me (she had turned it sideways).  After trying 4 more times, I'm getting the clue she just doesn't like it!!!  So I had some peas leftover from last night & gave it to her.  She smelled it & opened her mouth wide!!! :roll:  So I thought ok.  I can play this game.  I put a bit of pear with the peas and she opened her mouth enough to take just the peas!!  I thought this is hillarious at first.  Then I was getting kinda annoyed.  How can a 5mo already know what she doesn't like?  Doesn't she know I cooked those darn pears myself, peeled it & cooked it and pay way too much money for it????  Oh, boy! I'm going to try it again for dinner.  My husband thought it was really funny.  I should make him feed the pears to her. :wink:

Oh, btw, she has dropped the catnap as well.  She sleep 1.45mins for her first nap & 1.30 for her second.

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #175 on: June 18, 2005, 20:55:14 pm »
Nice new pics Kathy!  :D

Dd has up days and down days with solids. Tried parsnip this morning and you'd think we were trying to poison her!  :lol:

Still trying to wean dd from the paci. Had a horrible day and precedning night yesterday. So wanted to cave but dh was strong. So last night to give me a break I went and stayed at a girlfriends once dd went down and came home this a.m. (my first time away!!  :shock: ) Wouldn't you know it, dd went to sleep at 6:20, woke briefly at 11 and 5:30, put herself back to sleep both times and woke again at 6:30. Then today she only needed 2x pu/pd for her naps and slept 2hrs for the first and she's just gone down again now.  Of course she does it for dh!! But it's a great thing. When I came home today her face lit up and she started waving her chubby arms around when she saw me. It was sooooo awesome!

Hope you're all enjoying your weekends! Any big father's day plans? I made dh a photo album starting with me pregnant through to now. Then I put a picture at the end of dd holding a piece of paper that says Happy Father's Day Daddy. In the front covers I glued a pic of dd and dh and drew in crayon with Ella's hand and put her foot and hand prints in it too.
I hope he likes it!  :D

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Offline Jadynsmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #176 on: June 19, 2005, 03:29:57 am »
Hi everyone,

I figured it's almost end of June I'd better put the month's avatar.  I just figured out how to do it.  :oops:

I had to work yesterday & today and we had Lexi's 5th birthday party tonight with family.  Poor Jadyn had a rough go around 6pm.  She needed a catnap but too much going on and too many people holding her & playing with her, she just had a meltdown & screamed for 10 mins!!!  Times like today I never want to go in to work, even if it was for only 5hrs.  She just can't handle that many people & that much activity.  I just wanted to go somewhere quiet & hold & nurse her.  She took a 30min catnap from 6 to 6:30 and her eyes were red from all the crying.  She woke up crying, which she never does.  My heart is just broken.  Can't stand to see her so upset.   :cry:

She woke early 2 mornings in a row: one at 5:45 & one at 4:30 :shock:  You guys know I don't do these early wakings very well.  I was scared to death that it was becoming a habit but my little angel woke up yesterday at 7:15 & this morning I had to wake her at 7:45am.  I don't know what to expect tonight since she had such a crazy day and late bedtime (8:20pm).

She is officially on a solid strike.  She bfs no problem, just like always, but cereal & fruit is out now.  I read on the Solids & Weaning and some suggest it might be teething (top ones).  I wonder.  She basically will take ONE bite & turns her head & clamps down her mouth :? At first it was kinda funny & cute, but it's now officially getting on my nerves!!  My husband thought it would be a good idea to make her open her mouth by holding her nose, and boy was she ever sooooo mad.  On top of that, she never did open her mouth, even with her nose closed!!  She's a stubborn one.  I'm going to keep on offering & hoping she will go back to eating the way she was the first week. 

Sharon - I'm going to steal your idea for Father's Day card idea. :oops: I'm not very creative in that dept.  It's tomorrow, yikes. I did buy some Kenneth Cole dress shoes for his work.  I basically worked today to pay for those. :roll: I have a weakness for shoes (me or his) & purses. It's so hard to go to dept stores to work & get discounts & not buy things.  I usually have more self control but it is Father's Day & he does need work shoes.  I'm making excuses, aren't I? :wink:

Have a great weekend with your fathers!!

Offline Jakes_mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #177 on: June 21, 2005, 01:16:47 am »
hi all, sorry i havent posted lately.  well, it seems ds is regressing. not sure if it is his age or what?  his naps are now 40min.  He doesnt seem interested in his bottle anymore and he is very irritable.  He seems to be teething but is it possible for him to be getting his 7th & 8th teeth.  will  he (or dh and i ) ever get a break from the teething? 

did any of you have problems with short naps, ds always took short naps.  if i spent a long time working with him i could get him to nap longer but it seems like more work then worth. i would love to hear your stories.  right now, ds takes 3-45min naps and sleeps from 7pm-6am. 

thanks as always  :wink:

Offline Jadynsmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #178 on: June 21, 2005, 02:52:25 am »
Hi Jennifer - Sorry your lo's having regression.  I'm sure it's still teething and yes, it will stop soon, won't it???

Jadyn did 45mins whole a month almost all the time and then just one day she just extended the ones she wanted to extend.  Tracy does say in the book that sometimes babies just are power nappers. :roll: Hopefully that isn't the case, though.  Is he waking from these 45mins happy or grumpy?  Whenever Jadyn woke up from these 45mins, she was mostly very happy so I usually just went with it.  She still has her 45mins once in a while and I'm totally ok with since she's happy & rested.  She usually does one good 1 hr 30mins and a 45min sometimes.  Like I said, it's like just one day she just got it.  I'd like to think it was all that sleep training but I'm sure it had something to do with developmental stage as well.

Jadyn is also not as hungry as before either.  Her solids are hit or miss these days :roll:  Today at dinner she was soooo fussy and I couldn't get the food into her fast enough.  She wanted to put her hands all in the bowl & chew the spoon too.  Two days ago, she wouldn't eat but ONE bit of her food.  Her milk is down to bfing for about 8mins max.  She's still chunky, so I know she's not starving or anything.  I'm sure your lo will eat when he's hungry.  Just continue to offer when it's his feeding time.

Let us know how it goes.

Kathy

Offline Jadynsmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #179 on: June 21, 2005, 03:22:46 am »
Jennifer- I meant to tell you that we also extended her wake time to 2.5 for her first nap & 2.5 to 3hrs for second.  Then she stays awake til her bedtime (4hrs).   And I stopped going in to check on her because I always seem to wake her.:roll:

Kathy