Author Topic: Babies of Oct-Dec /04  (Read 122935 times)

Offline Pete's Mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #240 on: July 06, 2005, 14:09:23 pm »
Well, I see Peter and I have no shortage of company for our 5:30 - 6:00 am wake up :lol: ....  He wakes up so happy and excited that there is not a chance of getting him back down.  Normally he amuses himself till 6:00 am when I go in to start his day.  I think he is just an early riser like his Mom.  I also don't think it helps that dh is getting ready for work at that time as well.  I am not really complaining though at least he is sleeping.  Although as with his eating and everything esle I wonder if it is enough (I don't imagine that we change for many, many years to come :D .)

Jakes_mom sending you good vibes for your first day back. 

Jill, I would definately say you need to keep hitting the gym to keep up with Connor.  I thought Pete was quite the workout at 20 lbs.

Have a great day ladies!
Jen
-----------
Peter Andrew 11/23/04

Gigismom

Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #241 on: July 06, 2005, 17:34:08 pm »
hi
hope everyone had a wonderful long fourth of july weekend (u.s.)  we went to long beach, CA for the day and gianna went on her first carosel ride...so adorable!
it is exciting that all your babies are starting to crawl.  mine is a little behind the times!  she just lays on her stomach and starts whining after a few mins...i get down there with her and play to encourage her to build strength on her tummy.  did everyone else's baby resist tummy time at first too, or is gianna just not a tummy girl?  i'm not sure if i should make her lay on tummy or roll her over when she gets fussy.  one good thing is that she is now starting to sleep on her stomach at night and not crying when she rolls to it.  it is also helping her sleep later in the am-she slept til 6 today!
i am still trying to read all the pages of this thread (in all my spare time!)and figure out who's who.  everyone seems so nice and supportive, i'm glad i found you all.

jen- with the question about the sippy-we have been giving gianna a sippy since about 5 months, but she still doesn't have it down.  we bought a few different kinds for her to try.  she actually seems to do best with the cheaper ones where there is a spout but the water just slowly leaks out of it.  a lot messier but she seems to "get it" more with those kind of cups.  also, she likes drinking out of a regular cup (with help!)

kathy-gianna has recently begun rejecting breakfast as well whereas previously she ate almost 1 cup of oatmeal!  but on the upside, she eats the other meals like they might be her last!  so i guess as long as she is eating something and not waking at night she is fine.

one last question:  gianna's nap lengths are all over the place.  sometimes it's 2 hours, sometimes it's 1.5 and lately we are back to 45 mins.  is this normal?  anyone else having problems with inconsistency like this?  take care everyone.  (sorry i can't shut up today)

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 275
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #242 on: July 07, 2005, 03:28:04 am »
We put dd down last night at 7:30 and she slept until 7!!!!!! Yipeeeee!!! Much more manageable for us all. I had said I wasn't sure if it was her clock with the early wakings or her bedtime and if last night is any indication...it's her bedtime. It's not a huge difference but she went 11 1/2 hours as opposed to 10 1/2...  dh has been suggesting this for awhile and I've been the one who's been reticent. Just goes to show ya! We put her down at 7:40 tonight so we'll see tomorrow if it lasts. Oh and I should say she actually WOKE at 7... didn't make a single peep before that whereas usually it's at least a 1/2 hour of chatting before she says HEY get in here already!  :lol:

Dd didn't like tummy time either and still whines if she gets too frustrated with the lack of movement. We just try to keep encouraging her with it and alternating which side she's on. Sometimes after a particularly frustrating time on her tummy we'll roll her over and all she needs to be happy again is that. So she can flail her arms and legs wildly about! It's almost like she's having a wee fit on her back! But she just wants to move so badly...kwim?

We've also had a great deal of inconsistency with naps this past while. I have become VERY committed to pu/pd or a back rub or whatever it takes if it's less than an hour. Anything over... and she's up. On good days it seems to be a natural 1 hour and 1 1/2 hour nap. If she does that I'm bery happy and so is she!  :D

We started dd on EASY from birth but I have seen time and again how well it works. Between sickness, teething, general schedule disruptions, paci weaning... it has ALL worked out when we've just stuck to it and done things slooooowly... whilst "reading" dd at the same time. Does that make sense? We know what our goal always is and if we go slow, we are always all the happier for it. Dd is really blossoming into a wonderful little girl and I swear the BW has made all the difference. Keep at it and be consistent. Never forget they are learning at the same time you do and when you change things they are going to be confused by it but with patience and care it's all better in the long run.

Okay... I've babbled enough!  :lol: How was work Jenn?????

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Ella Rose November 20, 2004
Alexander James March 19, 2008

Offline caljaccol

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #243 on: July 07, 2005, 04:41:51 am »
What a long weekend :!:  :!:

I took the kids down to my parents for a few days and spent every night up with a screaming dd. :x   Ds had  been getting over a terrible cough and gave it to dd.  Well after 2 nights of no sleep, I took dd to Emergency where we waited for 3 hours only to hear what I already knew, and told them when I walked in the door, dd had an ear infection.  Her first one!!!  So after a day on meds she is starting to feel better and slept 12 straight hours last night.

Other then that, we took her to the lake for a day to just hang out.  She really liked the fresh air but only lasted a few hours before falling a sleep for the rest of the day.

Re: sippy cups
My dd hasn't figured out how to suck the right way to use one yet, but does drink from a straw (dh and his darn slurpees :roll: ).  She is pretty good at using a regular cup.

We are doing really well with solids.  She actually starts to fuss if her meal is late. 

She is moving backwards :P  all over my living room.  She has no interest in really crawling. Right now she is more into pulling herself up on things then moving around.  Today she alost pulled herself right up to standing along the couch.  She will be 7 months next week, but I think she is still too young for that :shock:
Dawn
Sahm to: dd 7, dd 5.5, ds 4.5, dd 3 years, dd 15 months

Offline Jakes_mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #244 on: July 07, 2005, 13:04:26 pm »
hi ladies,  thanks so much for all of your support during this terrifying time of returning to work.  my first day went very well, we were so busy i didnt have time to obsess over ds.  When i got home i expected a big smile or alitte excitement but... nada!!! :cry: He didnt skip a beat with playing with my sister.   now looking back not sure if i should be sad or happy. :wink:   

caljaccol- so sorry to hear about dd's ear infection.  hope she feels better soon. :)

Sharon- so glad to hear you are getting some sleep, i am definitely jealous  :D Jake is still taking 45 min naps so he is still on 3 naps a day, usually around 9-10, 1-2, & a catnap.  if he didn't get the catnap he wouldn't make it till 7 for bedtime.  Last week he napped for 1 1\2 hours but i think he is getting more teeth (again :roll: ) because he is super cranky in the afternoons. 

Do you guys think it is okay to have 3 naps after 6mo?  i really dont see Jake switching because he naps are so short, they have always been this way.   i guess it really doesnt matter as long as he is happy. 

What kind of activities do you do with your lo, Jake seems to be bored by me  :lol: .   Need some new ideas.

thanks Jenn

Gigismom

Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #245 on: July 07, 2005, 18:12:09 pm »
JENN
glad to hear your first day went smoothly.  it must be a big relief to know he had fun w/o you, although a bit sad too!  about your nap question, my dd is over 7 months and still takes 3 naps per day, so we are in the same boat.  she was always a 45 min napper.  then we hit 6 months and she started doing longer ones, up to 2 hours.  so i thought about switching to 2 naps.  but lately she has reverted back to the 45 min thing!  occasionally she takes a longer one, but for the most part they are short.  so it looks like we will have to stick with the 3 naps for a while.  i think it is okay to have 3 naps, esp since they are short ones.  you don't want jake to get overtired.  regarding your question about what to do with him, as for us we have to stay inside most of the day now since we live in the desert and it is 112 outside.  so we are challenged finding things to do as well.  gianna loves her exersaucer, reading books (turning the pages), listening and dancing to music, and watching our dogs play.   we don't do anything special so i can't really help you there.  anyway, have a good day everyone.

Offline jillybeansmith

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #246 on: July 07, 2005, 23:22:06 pm »
Ladies...

Today was our first day on E.A.S.Y.
He was a little tired and cranky and clingy some of the time....BUT, this was the first time in 2 months that he has been to bed before 9:30 or 10:00.  He went down tonight like a dream.

Last night was a horrible night as he kept spitting up, then just wouldn't settle...so I hope he is tired from the routine and not just because he was thrown off last night.

There is one problem...and I guess it would be a problem that I created..for the most part he still has to go to sleep sucking on a bottle...He doesn't take much in, he just needs to suck on it...He will not take a soother, he stopped using it at about 4 months...he hates them now.  I have to work on getting him to sleep without sucking on a bottle.  I'm concerned about bottle rot, but I go in and remove it as soon as he is asleep or he just spits it out when he's soothed.. Any ideas on that one?

Wish me luck...I'll let you know how we make out...I'm just hoping he doesn't consider this 7:15 thing to be a nap and ends up awake at 9:00 (that's happened before)...I'll keep you posted.......

Jill

Offline jillybeansmith

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #247 on: July 08, 2005, 11:52:03 am »
Well...we did a little better...Connor remained asleep from 7:15 pm to 10:00 pm at which time he woke up frantic, and he needed to spit up :cry: ...I got him settled down by 10:20 pm...he then did his usual 1:00 am feeding (this is the one we need to elimiate), fell back asleep, woke up breifly at 5:00 (another habit), but fell back asleep and slept until 7:00 am..

So, all in all, I think it was a success... :D

We'll see how today goes..

He seems to be an awfully 'spit-uppy' baby..and sometimes when he wakes up at night to throwup, it upsets him so, and it takes a while to get him settled.  And, it's always several hours after feeding.

I'll keep you posted on how we are making out...

Jill

Offline alligirl

• Showing Appreciation 34
  • Our little lady!
    • My blog
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #248 on: July 08, 2005, 12:00:17 pm »
Jill, I have no idea how you could get rid of the bottle to sleep, but maybe to start, you could water it down gradually until it is nothing but water (at least then it wouldn't hurt his teeth).

Just an idea! :)
Alli-
Stephen Alexander 01/27/03
Zachary Christopher 11/11/04
Marc-Adam Garrison 10/26/06
Genevieve Cathryn 05/07/09

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

• Showing Appreciation 275
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #249 on: July 11, 2005, 04:36:17 am »
Hi all!

Jill just wondering about the formula thing with the night time spit ups. We give dd Good Start during the day but at night we still use the Enfamil with added rice starch (reflux baby) so she doesn't have as much chance to spit it up. Works well for us.. just a thought.  It would stress dd out a great deal too when she threw up at night. Or you may try keeping him upright for 10 minutes or so after the last feed? Or the nighttime feeds?

Glad to hear work went well Jenn! It's confusing isn't it to be so happy your lo did well without you yet part of you wants them to be ecstatic you're back!!  :lol:

Dawn- sorry to hear about the ear infection! I think that's hysterical about the almost pulling up already! Sounds like you'll have your hands even more full!

HHmmmm activites... I'm lucky here lately. Dd is happy just about anywhere! I don't know what happened!
 :lol: LIttle things seem to amuse her the most lately. Slow wiggling hands in front of her, our belts, (??) blowing on her, high pitched voices, other people, (!!) time by herself, (she loves to be naked in her crib with a few toys  :lol: ) Though if any of you have read my other posts.... she's outgrown her exersaucer!! And almost her jolly jumper which makes me sooo sad. Oh and she loves plastic cups and pots.

We've been having decent sleep around here too... she actually took a two hour nap yesterday which she hasn't done in months!!!!  :D

Dh is going away for two days tomorrow so I'm not looking forward to that, plus I made the horrible mistake of starting smoking  :oops: again when dd was so sick and I'm going to quit again tomorrow. (with some of the other mums here) Should be interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wish me luck!!!!!!

I hope you all had a fabulous weekend!!!

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Ella Rose November 20, 2004
Alexander James March 19, 2008

Offline jillybeansmith

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #250 on: July 11, 2005, 11:47:37 am »
Thanks for the advice.
The one thing that I've noticed that may seem to have aggravated his problem, is that I bought a case of the 'Enfamil Next Step, for 6+ month olds'...I'm starting to wonder if that has caused issues...He has always been spit-uppy,  but it seems to have gotten worse.

So, we have been keeping to the E.A.S.Y during the day...it's been working like a dream...Thursday & Friday, he was in bed at 7:15.  He was ready for bed both Sat & Sun night at 7ish, but Sat night the grandparents were over, so he got over-tired & excitable...and last night, he had the spit-ups and tummy trouble.  Friday night he had to sleep with me for 2 hours because we had a power blackout, and I discovered that he is afraid of the dark (he had no nightlight, and no hallway light on), but I was able to put him back once things were back to normal.

Yes, I find that once he is upset with tummy trouble, his night schedule si toast...He just gets so upset..last night he was so upset that the only place I could get him to fall asleep was in his swing.  I think maybe he is more comfortable in it when he feels crummy because it kind cradles him.  (he'll soon be too big for it though).

Talk to you later.
Jill

Gigismom

Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #251 on: July 12, 2005, 01:27:10 am »
hello everyone
 we had a looooong weekend!  gianna has started waking at night for about 2 hours.  what is going on?  she is not hungry as i tried offering feedings and she was uninterested.  she wakes up and cries unless my husband or i are standing next to her at her crib.  we have to do pu/pd a little, but for the most part she just lays there and plays as long as we are in her sights.  scary!  we don't talk to her or make eye contact so she doesn't think it is playtime.  she has done this 3 nights.  i have put a hold on all new foods in case it is gas.  we are giving her an herbal rememdy for teething in case it is that.  but i don't know what else to do.  i am tired and confused.  anyone else experienced this? 

sharon-is the change in bedtime still making a difference for your dd's wake up?  did you make her bedtime earlier or later?

Offline Pete's Mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #252 on: July 12, 2005, 02:54:12 am »
Hello everyone!  Thanks for all the responses on the sippy cup.  Now that we have found one that he seems to like he is at least entertaining the idea of drinking from it.  I have also found that he does pretty well with a regular cup.

Lindsey - Pete did that for about  4 or 5 nights before he started crawling.  It was almost like he was waking up to practice some more...Has she been working on something new like crawling or such? I guess it could also be separation anxiety - I believe that is next on the development list at this age...maybe a lovey that has your scent would help...here's hoping it passes quickly.

Hope everyone is doing well and getting some sleep!
Jen
-----------
Peter Andrew 11/23/04

Offline Jakes_mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #253 on: July 13, 2005, 14:55:31 pm »
hi ladies, i need some help.  i just finished posting on the sleep board but realized i could get great advice from you all.  Jake is still waking early.  every morning around 5am!  this morning he woke at 445 and i kept going in there and flipping him onto his back (because he was upset) finally he fell back to sleep at 6am and slept till 730.  he is still on 3 naps and i think he is sleeping too much during the day so yesterday i kept him up for 4 hours before bedtime, didnt seem to work. 

the other concern is he seems to be filling up his diaper more then usual and it is leaking which could be the cause for the early waking.   i change him during df and he still has room in his diapers. 

thanks ladies, this is just getting so exhausting.

Gigismom

Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #254 on: July 13, 2005, 22:04:06 pm »
hi jakes mom
i have exactly the same problem as you.  my dd wakes up so early, and therefore needs 3 naps per day to get her to a decent bedtime.  but i think it is the 3 naps that are contributing to the early wake up.  it's a vicious cycle.  i don't know how to break it either.  i am considering just keeping her up longer for the awake time, but am afraid of getting her so overtired she can't nap.  scary!  also we are still facing multiple night wakings.  i think that is sep anxiety...but not sure.  we are very tired over here.  if anyone has any suggestions, please help.  thanks