Author Topic: Babies of Oct-Dec /04  (Read 122949 times)

Gigismom

Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #345 on: July 29, 2005, 19:04:38 pm »
is anyone else's lo waking a lot during the night?  (aside from phoebe, because i know yours is!!)  this is becoming a big issue as it happens almost every night.  sometimes she wakes once sometimes 3 times.  she sometimes goes right back to sleep, other times is awake for 2 hours.  i try not to pick her up, but just pat her belly or back and shh her.  she will quiet for a minute then cry again if i walk away.  i do not think she is overtired as it is rarely longer than 3 hours between last nap and bed.  i don't think it is teething pain because we give her meds before bed.  anyone else having this problem and how are you dealing with it?  i am bummed as dd used to be a GREAT night sleeper.

Offline jillybeansmith

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #346 on: July 29, 2005, 21:50:12 pm »
gigismom...we have the same issue....Connor gets up several times a night..usually the only thing that calms him is a bottle, but now I give him a watered down bottle because he only sucks a few sips and goes back down (he's never wanted a soother)...He's also had issues with teething, and he spits up a lot, so once he's upset with those issues, it kinda sets the tone for the whole night...

Offline Jadynsmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #347 on: July 30, 2005, 01:23:58 am »
Hi ladies,

Sorry I can't help you in the question about your lo waking at night times since mine is doing it.  I know it has to do with her teething and I'm just trying to ride it out.  Actually she slept in our bed all last week. :oops: She woke 2 or 3 times & I patted her back to sleep, but it woke my husband up each time.  He's making me put her in her crib tonight.

I think it's just time for our babies to do weird things during their naps since they are all teething!! :?   Jadyn has decided to play "let's sit up and play" game during nap times.  She did it for both naps today.  I tried to pat her & hold her down to make her go to sleep.  She won.  I ended up just letting her do that for about 15mins and finally went back in and put her back down to sleep.  I'm wondering if she's needing longer wake time.  Her wake time for her 1st naps was 2.35hr and 2.45 for her 2nd nap.  Maybe it needs to be 2.45 & 3hrs?? 

I finally decided to give her a different type of sippy cup and it seemed to work much better.  It's one of those that has two different stopper, one with slow and other fast flow.  Only problem with that is, it doesn't have handle on both sides.  I hate to keep on buying sippy cups.  I'm going to go next week & search for one that has a handle and the one you can control the flow of the fluid.

THANKS everyone for b-day wishes.  I know 40 is supposed to be a big deal, but it really wasn't.  I know I don't feel 40.  Heck, I feel about 33yrs old.  I think having an infant helps.  Also you know what they say about Asians not aging.  :wink: Thank you mom & dad.

p.s. For the constipated babies, I think when I give her pear juice or apple juice dilluted with water with her solids really helps. 

Have a great weekend & great sleep everyone!!

Kathy

Offline NKmommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 45
  • AKA Nathan'smommy
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #348 on: July 30, 2005, 03:50:35 am »
Here is ours!  :)

1. Crawling - yes, on the belly, but still gets around!
2. Standing - yes but doesn't know how to get down
3. Sleeping - just ended middle-of-night bottle a couple weeks ago; still awake all throughout the night, sometimes every hour :( 
4. Bottle - 4 - 5 bottles a day (4-6 oz each)
5. Solids - doesn't like puree, but wants anything that mom and dad are eating; also loves baby yoghurt, cheese, and cheerios
6. Babbling - yes, da, ma, ta, ...
7. Sitting up - yes
8. Sippy cup - definitely NOT; drinks from it if I hold it up for him; otherwise likes to bang it, throw it, etc
9. Holds own bottle/cup - no
10. Teeth - 2 bottoms; working on the tops
11. Seperation anxiety - not much when playing, but won't let anyone else feed him (Argggg)
12. Wakeup - around 5:30 - 6:30 am Usually babbles to himself until I get him at 6:30

Can I add temper tantrums?  I never knew that an 8 mos old could throw  a full on fit when the book he likes is finished or the toy he likes is taken away!  :)
Sheila
ng

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

• Showing Appreciation 275
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #349 on: July 30, 2005, 04:04:40 am »
BLAGH!!! Are things ever rocky here!  :?  For some reason (like oh, I dunno, the newfound rocking on hands and knees, the newfound standing, the newfound trying desperately to sit up but getting tangled, the two top teeth trying to poke through) things are just all over the map in our house!  :lol:  Dd will NOT go to sleep without a fight anymore. Naps and nighttime. At least an hour... needless to say it's throwing any semblance of a routine out the window. She's decided she hates to eat solids unless it's cheerios, throws her food all over the place, HATES cereal, hates bath time, hates all her toys... okay maybe not hates, but just is downright ornery! Every single thing we do all day and evening is a big fight. ~ sigh ~ I hope we get through this stage soon... on a positive note, she drank diluted pear juice from her sippy today. I had to hold it but it's the first time she drank!  :D

Sorry for the rant, just needed to vent.

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Ella Rose November 20, 2004
Alexander James March 19, 2008

Offline Pete's Mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #350 on: July 30, 2005, 12:22:53 pm »
Nathan's mommy - I can so relate to the temper tantrums.  Last night was all out war because I want to put a bib on him for supper (Peter thought that was quite the injustice :roll: ).

Sharon and Kathy - good news on the sippy cups success!  Like you Kathy, I have a every growing sippy cup selection - why is it that most of these things get sold as two in a package.... Oh well maybe instead of playing with tupperware, ds will just have to settle for unwanted sippy cups.

We haven't been having night wakings but naps are all over the place for some reason he wants to go to sleep about 2 hours after his first nap which means he is up around 1:30 pm and won't take another nap before bed! 

Well we are off to visit family in Las Vegas tomorrow.  Pete is a pretty light sleeper so I don't know how it will go having him sleep in the same room as us....I sure hope the plane ride goes well - I am already picturing the dirty looks as we walk on the plane.

Have a great weekend ladies, and here is wishing you good sleeps!
Jen
-----------
Peter Andrew 11/23/04

Offline pdb

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #351 on: July 30, 2005, 13:16:16 pm »
Wow!  It sounds like we're all having some erratic times with our babies.  Glad to know I'm not the only one.  I'm starting to wonder if I should call the doctor since Susana is shredding her ears again.  Does anyone else's lo do that?  The first time it happened I panicked when I went into her room and saw blood all over the sheets!  She does it while she's teething, but in the back of my mind I always worry she might have an ear infection since she's had one of those too. 

On top of all this, I went back to work yesterday. :cry: It broke my heart to leave her.  She wasn't crying, but she gave me this look like, "Wait mommy, I'm supposed to go with you!"  I cried the whole way to work.

I haven't been trying sippy cups.  I did once or twice a few weeks ago, but she couldn't figure out how to get liquid out.  What types is everyone finding most successful?  What liquids are you giving from the sippy cup?
Phoebe

lil'monkey

Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #352 on: July 30, 2005, 19:49:41 pm »
pdb - we've tried the Nuby no-spill, no-valve cup ( she didn't like it as the spout is too big for her mouth), Playtex soft spout ( didn't like again the spout).  We use the Advent spout to go with her old Advent bottles.  I had to remove the valve so that she knows that water comes out of it instead of it being just a banging toy! :lol:   After a few weeks, she got the hang of it and would suck with the valve.  I think that you just have to try until you find the ones she likes.  And yes, I think that it is a conspiracy to sell the sippy cups in pairs!

I think dd is about to cut a tooth as I can clearly see and feel the ridge.  I hope that this explais why she wouldn't let me near her mouth.  Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Offline Jadynsmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #353 on: July 31, 2005, 04:31:18 am »
Wow!! Today was a very eventful day.  We went to visit our friends in Ky (2hrs drive) and Jadyn slept for the whole 2hrs in the car!!  Then she is all smiley for our friends and their little children.  Then she's just giving kisses to the little boy (10yrs) and keeps on smiling at everyone & cooing and trying to talk.  They swear she was saying "hi" :lol:  Lunch time, she takes the sippy cup and actually drinks from it, even with the spout that is hard to get liquid out (no-spill)!!!! I was amazed she did it like she's done it her whole life. LOL!! Then she crawled, moving her knees one in front of the other!!! I thought it was a mistake so I moved the toy she was trying to get to, and she did it again!!  Not lunging, not cheating by scooting or rolling, just plain CRAWLING!!!  Ok.  So then at the same time in between, she gets on her hands and puts her butt up in the air, like she was trying to stand from crawling position!  So she pulls up on daddy's tummy and actually stood.  By this point, I'm just floored.  She did this for almost 30mins, non stop.  She did so well at our friends' house that they were so amazed how happy & content she was.  She did give me a little hard time going down for her 2nd nap, so I put her in my trusty sling and she was out in 2mins.  I laid her down on their bed and checked in after an hour and she was sitting up playing with the paci, looking very rested like she had a great nap.

I've been doing the signs, just 'milk', 'done', 'kiss', 'more' and 'gentle'.  She just smiles at me when I do them.  But when I do the 'kiss' sign, she opens her mouth and kisses me.  Oooohhhh I could just eat her up.  She did it while we were there and just kept on kissing me, even though I was doing it like 5 or 6 times.

Sharon - So sorry it's so crazy right now for you.  When Jadyn does that rocking on all fours, I have to let her get it out of her system. :roll:  Sometimes it can be as long as 30mins til she finally gets all tired out.  As for food, I'm finally figuring out that she likes to eat food that is cut up in small pieces, not all purreed.  I gave her peaches chopped up and bananas cut up and she loved it. 

Phoebe - I give her pear juice with water mixed in it and she seems to like it.  On the ears, she just grabs it and tries like she's knocking it off, like pulling it off.  That's horrible about her ears bleeding. :cry:  I could hardly work the first couple of times I left her but it does get a little easier.  You get to look forward to coming home and giving her all the kisses. :D

Nathan's mom - Jadyn definitely let's me know when she's not happy, like when I move something away from her or try to change her diaper.  She slams her arms and legs down like she's throwing a fit.  I have to just laugh because it's soo cute.  :lol:  I know this is the only way she can communicate!! :lol:

Pete's mom - I hope your trip to Vegas goes well.  And I wouldn't worry much about people on the plane.  He is just a baby after all and it's a short flight, right?  I bet he will do just fine.

Hope you're all enjoying the weekend.

Kathy

Offline Pete's Mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #354 on: July 31, 2005, 04:52:45 am »
Phoebe - we tried the Avent one first (no luck) and then tried the Nuby one with the soft silicone top.  Once he got the general idea with the Nuby I tried the Avent ones again (with the valve removed) and he took to it no problem...  Last week I tried putting the valve back in the Avent and he drank around 5 oz of ebm from it.   The whole process took us a good two months of offering it for a sip or two of water each day after his meals. 

Kathy - my goodness it Jadyn going for a record of most developmental milestones in one day?  That is fantastic!  :D
Jen
-----------
Peter Andrew 11/23/04

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #355 on: July 31, 2005, 05:08:47 am »
Lindsey, dd did the same thing for awhile, as did most of our babies I think!  :lol: We would just pat/sshhh dd when she woke (wakes) overnight. Only if she couldn't be settled would we feed her. I think it's a combination at this age of "the world is tooooo exciting! I can move! Where's my mummy? My teeth hurt!" etc. etc. etc. Have you decided about Europe yet? I think if you are at all reticent...then you shouldn't go. Don't let anyone pressure you into anything!!!

We use the avent trainer thingy too... where you add the handles to the bottle and the different spout...

Kathy...OMG!!!!! How awesome is Jaydn?! What a peach! I am sooo proud! Does that seem strange?But I feel like I know her and it's just so exciting to hear of all these milestones! I just vented about Ella going through stuff but it's making her frustrated, so for Jaydn to be sleeping and figuring our her world, well, I just say YIPPEEEE!!! Good on her!  :D

Phoebe sorry it was so hard going to work! I hate leaving dd! And if your lo is pulling on her ears hard enough to bleed, I would call the doc. Just to be safe! Dd (knock on wood) has never had an ear infection so... it could just be the teething monster but it can't hurt to check it out! Oh and dd's first drinking from the sippy is diluted pear juice. No milk yet...

Good luck in Vegas! Let us know how it goes!!!

Dd cut her left top tooth today so I hope we'll be back to "happiness" soon!  :lol:

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #356 on: July 31, 2005, 05:11:25 am »
Ack. I feel like a boob.... Sorry I misspelled Jadyn's name TWICE Kathy!!!  :oops:  I'm being careless in my rush to write...  :oops:  :oops:

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Offline pdb

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #357 on: July 31, 2005, 13:46:54 pm »
Thanks everyone!  I think I will call the doctor this week and see if he wants me to bring her in.  Last time when she was teething and then had an ear infection right after, she made her right ear bleed, but her left one was the one with the infection.  So I'm thinking it's probably the teething that's making her pull at her ears. 

Last night was awful.  After almost no naps yesterday, Susana went down easily around 6:30.  We got through 40 minutes without her waking up so I thought we were home free, but then at 7:30 she woke crying.  I waited a few minutes and she did manage to fall asleep on her own.  At 11:15 she was crying again.  After a few minutes I went in to check on her and her lamp was on.  Our power had gone out and we had left it on so it woke her up.  Poor thing.  Then at 4:30 she was screaming again.  When I went in to check, she looked asleep so I left her and she eventually stopped.  Then at 6:00 she was up for good.  I guess the good thing is she went back to sleep on her own most of the time.   :?   I just keep thinking about next week, when my students start back to school.  I will have to get up at 5:00 so no more sleep for me after a 4:30 wake up.  :(

Thanks for the advice on sippy cups.  I kind of figured you just have to experiment.  Someone gave me a couple as a gift so I started with those.  Yesterday I took the stopper out and she drank a little out of it.  She was more interested in chewing on it though.

Kathy - Sounds like you had a fun day.  I know you must be proud!  Isn't it so cute when they stick their little butt up in the air like they are going to stand up?  Susana does that too.   :D
Phoebe

Gigismom

Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #358 on: July 31, 2005, 19:30:38 pm »
pete's mom-  hope your trip to vegas goes well.  i always worry so much when we travel, but it usually goes ok.  we took dd to hawaii when she was 6 months.  the plane rides were hard, but most people were understanding and gave us pitiful looks like they'd been there before!

nathan's mommy-we cannot relate to the temper tantrums, as whining is the preferred method at our house.  i would almost rather an occasional outburst than the constant whining!

kathy-that is so wonderful about jadyn's newfound abilities.  i can't wait til gigi can do at least some of those things.

phoebe-sorry your going back to work was so hard.   how did susana do for the sitter?  i hope things get easier as you settle into your new routine.

sharon-glad to hear the tooth is through.  these things are causing more trouble than they are worth!! hope sleeping gets better for you guys.  basically i have decided "no" on europe at least for gianna.  we MIGHT go without her.  i think we will make the reservations and buy insurance so we can cancel them if we decide we are not ready to leave dd at that age.

have a nice weekend!

Offline MomtoRee

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #359 on: July 31, 2005, 20:07:39 pm »
Phoebe, sorry work was so hard.  I cried the whole first week and I even came home for an hour at lunch everyday that I worked.  It sucks but it does get easier.  There are some days though that it is just as hard as the first day! 

Jadyn sounds like she had an amazing day!  Sounds like you couldn't of had a better trip. 

The sippy cup that we have finally had luck with is a Playtex one.  It has two side handles and she can hold it easy.  I have to fix the valve so it isn't tight so she can get teh water out.  We use to just take the valve out but now just not tight.  We went through a lot before we found this one that she likes.  Still not really getting much, but we are getting closer.  The only thing that I put in it is water but I hope that she will start taking her juice from it too. 

Right now we are still having loads of trouble wtih the two front teeth.  We haven't got to sleep past 5:30 in a while now.  Plus she has now went back to only sleeping for 30/40 minutes for her first nap.  Somehow, though she is in a good mood most of the day.  We can understand the tantrums here.  Half the tiem I give up trying to put the bib on and just take the shirt off!  The other half she just eats in my lap or sitting on the table.  If i put her in the highchair crying she won't take a bite!  Not one little bit! 

Something that I did recently was do a treasure basket and she loves it.  I can actually walk away wtih her on teh floor playing with it  :D.  If you don't have one I suggest making one.  WE are up to about 50 items and it is my lifesaver to get some stuff done.
Ree November 2004