Author Topic: Brands of formula - which to buy??  (Read 3158 times)

Offline {{{Angela}}}

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 12
    • pillowhead designs - hand embroidered goodies
Brands of formula - which to buy??
« on: April 24, 2005, 13:27:25 pm »
I've been exclusively BFing ds for almost 10 months, but now he's drinking more and eating more solids (I used expressed breastmilk to make his cereal), I feel like I can't keep up.  That, and I'd like to wean him in a month or two.  So I'm thinking about using formula to make his cereal but there are so many brands out there, I'm not sure which one is best.  Any recommendations?

Thanks. :)
Angela
mommy to Xavier and Zinnia

hand embroidered goodness at http://pillowhead.etsy.com

lil'monkey

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 16:00:20 pm »
As every baby's taste is different ( not counting allergies and such), have you try contacting the manufacturers ( email, phone, or signing up on their websites) so they will you free samples?  I know that Enfamil ( formerly Enfalac), Simalac and Nestle/Carnation all gave me free samples when I visited their websites.  Also keep in mind that by 12 months, you can introduce whole milk to a baby.  HTH.

Offline {{{Angela}}}

• Showing Appreciation 12
    • pillowhead designs - hand embroidered goodies
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 00:21:54 am »
That's a good idea, but unfortunately, they say it takes 6-8 weeks for your stuff to get to you, and I needed some sooner.  I went out and got some Similac, which is what they use in the hospital.  So far, ds doesn't seem to notice the difference in his cereal.  I don't know whether or not to be offended.  :wink:
Angela
mommy to Xavier and Zinnia

hand embroidered goodness at http://pillowhead.etsy.com

Colleen

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 03:40:06 am »
I have used the Target brand of formula for Griffin, all the research I could find said that the generic brand really was just as good as the name brands. I guess it is so much cheaper since they don't give out so many free samples or donate so much of it to hospitals. ;-)

Whatever brand you choose, you should get the toddler or stage 2 kind which is designed for older babies who are mostly eating solids. The nutritional needs of older babies are different from young babies relying on formula for ALL of their nutrition.

Offline MrsKirky

• Showing Appreciation 27
  • Aidan dressed as a Sheriff for Halloween
If cost is a factor
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 05:18:55 am »
If cost is a factor to you, I have to say that the Similac company sends out coupons much more frequently that the other manufacturers.  I am using Enfamil and my sister Similac and we both signed up on both websites to do a coupon exchange.  I am ALWAYS mailing her $5 coupons!  I usually get $1 or $2 coupons.  It is also cheaper at Costco for the big container and you can use the manufacturer coupons there.  (they accept them as checks).

Everything else is just a personal choice I guess.  I think they are all pretty similar, but there is a comparison of the different types of formula on the Dr. Sears Website (if you can get past the breastfeeding info without feeling guilty!  :lol: ) 

Our Dear Little Aidan
(Krista) Aidan-2/9/2005. Touchy.Gravida 5 Para 1 and proud of the LO for hanging on tight!

Offline Kinlagh's Folks

• Showing Appreciation 7
  • Toronto, Canada (I'm back baby!)
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 12:41:48 pm »
We started our dd on Enfalac when we first started weaning off breastmilk.  She seemed to have some major gas issues so not sure if it was the type of formula, or just the fact that she was now digesting something new (other than breastmilk). 
So just to make sure, we switched to another brand - Nestle Good Start - and things improved immediately.  She had no problem with digestion of this new brand.  Just a suggestion.

Also, the Nestle website provides a weaning table that might be helpful to you.  I've attached the table below.
Michelle

Proud mommy to Kinlagh Emilie
Born 19/01/2005

Offline Laura~Cooper's Mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005, 12:48:20 pm »
We started with Similac but it gave him terrible gas so we switched to Good Starts and he has been fine ever since.  He still has "seeds" in his diapers when he poops like when he was breastfeeding.  (sorry if that is tmi but I am very impressed by that! :) )
Laura

Offline Noelle

• Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2005, 14:25:29 pm »
You've probably made your choice by now  :D  :wink:   but for what it's worth, I use Enfamil.  I've tried Nestle, Similac, Walmart brand,etc.  But enfamil is the only one that is a really fine powder and it mixes up SOOOOO much better.  Very minimal clumps if any  :D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline LadySox

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2005, 05:57:35 am »
Just wanted to add how impressed I am with the Nestle Good Start as recommended by my Dr.  I continue to BF and bottlefeed and lo adjusted just fine when it was added to her diet.  I also agree with the above posted regarding lo bm's.  The added bonus is it is a much lighter colour than what I remember my other children's formula was, which caused many a stain.  No stains at all on Emmaly's clothing.
Let us know which one you decided to use and your opinion.
LadySox
Mamma of Emmaly

Offline Nikki60

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Milk
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2005, 09:55:18 am »
Why not just use full fat cows milk on his cereal. They can have this from about 9 months, and can start to drink it as a main drink from a year. If your worried he won't get enough vitamins and minerals from cows milk then why not give him vitamin drops from your doctor?