Author Topic: Any March & April 05 mums/moms want to chat?  (Read 108658 times)

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
Any March & April 05 mums/moms want to chat?
« Reply #135 on: August 03, 2005, 18:04:24 pm »
Hello, I've only just found your posts and wanted to say Hi :) .
Charlie is nearly 4 and half months old now, and changing every day! He has just discovered 'screeching' too, and thinks it's very funny (favourite place to do it is in the supermarket  :oops: ). Dp also thinks it's funny and joins in :roll: , whatever keeps men happy!

I haven't read all your posts - there's 15 pages! But I will keep dropping in b/c it's nice to talk to people with los the same age. It makes it seem like you're not the only one (although you all seem to be down under - was there something in the water 4 + 9 months ago  :wink:  :lol: ).

Speak soon, Caroline
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline herbst99

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Hi
« Reply #136 on: August 03, 2005, 20:11:11 pm »
Hallo - I thought I introduce us as I am suddenly not able to find solutions and might need serious help soon!! still coping though. Lise is our first and spirited at that ... she is on a OK routine on most days - if we can just fix the napping - night sleeps are fine. She is a very busy little girl and wants attention and entertainment all the time - does not do well with being cuddled, held, rocked etc so this makes wind downs a little tricky. She is her moms angel though! Keep well
Nikki
Nikki - Mom of Lise and Cara

Offline Jayri

• Showing Appreciation 20
« Reply #137 on: August 04, 2005, 00:37:02 am »
hello nikki and caroline, and welcome to our thread. I find it so nice to talk to other women who have a lo like me. Let me introduce myself, My name is naomi and I have 2ds, #1-ds- is a spirited thing, who keeps me on my toes enough for the two of them, #2-dd- is my little angel, I wasn't too hot on the idea of having a girl, I was more happy with the prospect of 2 boys, but now she is here, she is everything I could ever want and need and made me realise why I am so special to my mum.
Nikki, your lo is beautiful, I love the smile,it seems like she is smiling from the tips of her toes,so good to see my dd is not the only one with lots of hair, people are so surprised around my neck of the woods.
well I have to pop off for now, there is a pic of my lo on p14(i think that is the one). Look forward to your future posts.

TTFN :D
Naomi mum to ds 17.06.03 and dd 26.03.05
&dh together since 23.02.01
[img=http://www.snugglepie.com/ezb/158880.png]http://www.snugglepie.com/ezb/158880.png[/img]

[url=http://www.snugglepie.com][img=http://www.snu

Offline BiancaB

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • http://www.tashanorpark.com
« Reply #138 on: August 04, 2005, 02:11:35 am »
Hello Caroline and Nikki and WELCOME :)
I'm one of the down unders  :lol:  Something is definitely in these waters!
My ds is nearly 4 and a half months, its a great age, I just love the chubby stage :)  All those fat wrinkles around the thighs!! So gorgeous! Any questions,queries, stories and just a bit of a whinge if you feel like it are all welcome on this board..

I thought I'd ask all our Mum's for feedback as to where there babies are up to as far as developmental stuff...
ie verbal,rolling,grasping
Example:
Sienna is currently....
Holding soft rattle and toys(pulling towards mouth)
Screeching,cooing and almost laughing(got one real one out of her yesterday)
Recognizes family members, especially loves her big brother starts kicking like mad when she hears him :)
But not rolling from back to tummy yet!?
Just a few things...Love to hear where others are up to (I'm impressed with the scooters :lol: ) not to compare just for interest sakes..
Actually I can't remember half the time what they are supposed to be doing by now and I'm sure ds(now 2) was doing all these and maybe more things at this age, but I think I'd better get my baby diary out to check!
Take care Bianca
Bianca{Ky and Sienna}

Kyan Scott 21-05-03

Sienna Charlize 21-03-05

FrasersMum

« Reply #139 on: August 04, 2005, 02:41:56 am »
A big hello and welcome to the new comers from another of the Aussie contingent!   :D  Nice to have you around.   I've felt very welcome since coming to this board a couple of weeks ago!!

Bianca, great idea about the developmental stages.

Fraser is: putting EVERYTHING into his mouth and drooling heaps (funny how everyone, especially M and MIL, are positive he is teething - everything gets blamed on teething!); cooing and laughing a little (but no funny screeching  :D); gets VERY exciting about having a bath and splashes like crazy; rolled once from front to back but I'm pretty sure that was an accident; still gets very fussy at least once a day but often more; still wakes during the night for a feed (generally just once).

Chat soon
Jo

PS - No photo yet but notice I've managed to add a Lilypie - very proud of myself  8)

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

« Reply #140 on: August 04, 2005, 02:58:34 am »
It is funny seeing where Danielle is compared to Nathan - he did some things earlier and others not.  So she's doing:

Sucking fingers and hands constantly
Has just started to hold rattles etc in the last few days and gets very excited when she sees them, but not quite coordinated to do anything much with them - not really attempting to reach for things yet
Scoots around in a circle on her back - arching and trying to roll over, gets her hips flipped but her sholder's left behind
Squarks VERY loudly - she has quite a deep voice
Has been doing the greatest belly laughing and giggling for about a month, is just hysterical, the more we laugh, the more she does
Adores Nathan and is constantly chatting to him (he of course being a good male says "is that right?" while playing with his toys and not even looking at her!  :lol: )
Rolled a couple of times from tummy to back when she was about 9wks old but hasn't done it since (I think it was accidental and her arms were in the right place at the right time)

OK, now for where our routine is at and any help if anyone can think of anything.  Danielle is still stuck waking once or twice a night depending on whether the DF is offerred or not (if I DF at 10pm she will wake around 2-4am, but without DF sometimes only has one night feed but sometimes 2 if her first wake up is too close to midnight) - not really too sure what to do.  She likes the 4hr day routine, but is a bit of a lazy feeder and makes up for it at night and feeds really well.  For her 2nd night feed I try and limit it otherwise she won't eat at 7-7.30am even if it has been 4hrs. :?  Any suggestions?  Also, she's started waking at 5-6am for her day yet not hungry.  I've been leaving her if she's just chatting, but eventually (maybe after 1/2 hr) she starts to get grumpy, so I bring her into bed for a chat and then try to feed her.  It means that I need to refeed her by 8am as a top up so I know that she'll go until 11am to get us back on track.  It's not a major issue, but I feel that we're really stuck with night feeds because of this.

Offline james030405

• Showing Appreciation 22
  • James' birthday is 3rd April 2005
Weight gain
« Reply #141 on: August 04, 2005, 03:04:44 am »
Hi everyone,

I have a textbook/spirited 4mo (he was born 03/04/05 - very easy date of birth)  Very nice to see how everyone else is going with babies the same age.  I just have one question; has anyone else noticed that their babes are not putting on weight?  My lo had his 4mo check today(and injections) and he has only put on about 20 grams in 2 weeks.  He is pretty much on the 4hr EASY plan, breastfed except for the odd supplement feed with formula (due to low milk supply early evening).  He is a very good sleeper with at least 2 x 1.5hrs naps duringthe day and at nights will go down about 7:30pm and will only wake once during the night for a feed, will then wake at about 4am for feed then sleep till 7:30am/8am.  Early evening I try and cluster feed every 2hrs and he hasn't needed the dream feed for awhile (although last night he did wake at 12:30pm).  Everyone keeps telling me he is a very active baby and is probably just burning off the calories. 

Sorry for babbling on but just curious to see if anyone else has seen this.  He is almost rolling over and is very strong on his arms and pushes himself up very well.  The doctors didn't seem to worry about it, should I?

Thanks for any suggestions.
[url=http://lilypie.com][/url]

Offline kq

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 12
  • Auckland, NZ
« Reply #142 on: August 04, 2005, 03:23:14 am »
Hi,
Sam will be 15 weeks old this Saturday. I am wondering when you did the transition from the 3 to 4 hour routine. He still naps very well during the day with an average of 5 and half hours over the 4 naptimes. He is fully BF and has 1 -2 night wakings (no dream feed). Also, what do you do when they wake at 5 am and you feed. When do you next feed? I have trouble getting him back to sleep after 5 am feed but he will do so reluctantly with shush pat but that only gets us to 6.30 am usually. I then have the problem of awake baby, not hungry and he can only stay awake for 1 hour and 15 minutes max! So I do AEAS but feed at 7 am. He does not take much! Is that how you get back on track?
I am happy to start my day at 6 if he feeds then but 5 is too early!
Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

ps: mine was born 23/04/05, also very easy birthdate to remember!
pps: james 030405, did they plot his weight on a chart and is remaining on his centile. Is he a big baby anyway?
Karen

Offline Jayri

• Showing Appreciation 20
« Reply #143 on: August 04, 2005, 03:47:34 am »
Well done on the lilypie jo!!
Riley at the moment is trying to roll on her belly, she gets 3/4 of the way, but the arm thing is holding her back, I think she has adlready done it once and is a little confused as to why she can't do it again.
She too like to squeal in delight, she likes to rock back and forth which makes her quite the fidgit bum and hard to hold on your knee.
I think todays new thing was that she learnt that Jay's fingers can be a good chew toy.
She is also reaching out for her toys, waving her arms at me during feeding times is a favorite. And she LOVES to smile, when she wakes up, lookong at you so you will look at her, when she is  watching big brother. She watches Jay a lot, I think she is taking mental notes on how to keep up with him and give me a run for my money this time next year :wink:
This was a good idea Bianca, it makes me realize just how far Riley has come along in the past 4mths.
 As for our routine, it still needs a little fine tuning, but for the most part dd eats around every 4 hours, she takes a little bit to eat after naps though, I think she just needs time to wake up! Riley is roughly doing the EAS thing, dh has been home a lot lately so our routine is a little off whack, she did better tonight going to bed, I think we were just missing her "tired" window. Nights are going well too, a feed at about 8, df at about 11 and then tues night she went from 10:45 till 5am.
Any hew, sorry it is long, there seems to be a lot to chat about to everyone lately.
 chat later   :)
Naomi mum to ds 17.06.03 and dd 26.03.05
&dh together since 23.02.01
[img=http://www.snugglepie.com/ezb/158880.png]http://www.snugglepie.com/ezb/158880.png[/img]

[url=http://www.snugglepie.com][img=http://www.snu

Offline james030405

• Showing Appreciation 22
  • James' birthday is 3rd April 2005
« Reply #144 on: August 04, 2005, 04:10:43 am »
Hi KQ

James just sort of went onto the 4hr by himself.  We were having some trouble with feeding (come on/off all the time).  One day I just extended it to 3.5hrs and he seemed to eat better and gradually went to 4hrs.  His naps also went longer, I think he just decided by himself.  His weight has him in the 48th percentile which I guess is not too bad.  His little legs just  keep going throughout the day - actually his whole body keeps moving.   :lol:   He was 7lb 9oz born (he was full term), so I don't know if he is actually a big baby, pretty average.  In Australia, they recommend starting solids at 6mths; is this the same everyone else and has anyone ever started earlier?

In regards to your 5am waking, sometimes ds does wake at 4am and I feed in the dark and no talking and put him back to bed.  He just goes back to sleep (hopefully this will last!).  Do you talk to your lo and interact with him?  Is your room dark enough so there is no eye contact?
[url=http://lilypie.com][/url]

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
« Reply #145 on: August 04, 2005, 10:13:38 am »
Wow, thanks for the great welcome!

I also think this developmental thing is a great idea, I've been reading your posts with a big smile on my face, saying 'he does that too!'.

..Charlie is getting really into his screeching, but I've been spared the scooching so far.

..He loves to fling himself back and forth when we're holding him in the sitting position (got to have a good grip!). His head is pretty steady now, and I can see him trying to sit up (& getting frustrated when he can't quite hold it) - I've been propping him up in his pram & I think he's going to get the hang of it soon.

..Has only just begun to enjoy tummy time (used to scream blue murder), so nowhere near turning over/crawling stage yet.

..EVERYTHING goes in his mouth (and he's getting to be quite a good shot - he used to miss and poke himself in the eye a lot). Also sucking fingers all the time - only sucks thumb when tired.

..He has a fantastic giggle - piggy & train noises are the funniest!

..Still hates his bath, but at least he doesn't scream through it any more, just looks miserable  :roll: . 

..He's not a cuddly baby - more interested in exploring and experimenting at the moment.

..Likes to talk to himself & others a lot (even talks himself to sleep in his crib at night!).

We've settled into a pretty good routine, but there are still things I'd like to change, if anyone's got any ideas:
Wakes 5.30am  :shock:
Feeds straight away (bf in my bed)
Will not go back to sleep after that
Feeds 8.30am (bf)
Nap at 10am until 12pm
Feeds at 12pm (bf)
Nap at 2pm until 3.30pm
Has a bottle at 4pm
Nap at 6pm until 7pm
Feeds at 7.30pm
Bedtime 8.30 - 9pm
Sleeps well until morning most nights (hopefully!)

If anyone has any comments/suggestions, they are gratefully received. He is generally a happy baby, and I think we're just about used to each other now.
The only problem I can forsee is that it's just him and me for most of the time - dp is at work a lot, and don't see extended family on either side (long & boring story  :roll: ) - am I setting him up to be a clingy baby?

Thanks for any input
Caroline
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline BiancaB

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • http://www.tashanorpark.com
« Reply #146 on: August 04, 2005, 11:31:18 am »
Hello everyone :)

Nikki- My routine is back to 3-3 1/2 hr feeds during day. Sienna can handle 4 hrs but it just seems easier for her on a 3hr routine right now.. if her naps go longer or we are out and about and she forgets she is hungry :wink:  we do go 4hrs.
Nights are similar to yours.. some nights I do a df and some nights if I'm too tired I don't. If she sleeps until 4am(with df) and feeds she will then sleep through to 7-7:30am. I will always feed her at that time even if she only takes one side(if she hasn't had a really good feed then we shorten gap until next feed ie 3hrs)
If she sleeps right through the night, she will wake around 6-6:30am this is from hunger of course but it is still too early to start her day, so I feed her and then put her back to sleep even if its only 40mins or so, she needs to reach 7am at least to have her full quota of night sleep.

Because she has fed at 6:30 I don't feed her (that 6:30am feed is a big one) until after her first morning nap, so around 10am depending on how long the nap is for. This gets us back on routine okay. Maybe just playing around with your feed times might help out a bit. Getting in a few more calories during the day has helped Si with her nights, she also did a week of early wakings and then they went away again so Danielle might be growing again too :)  This week Si has been napping like a dream, no short naps at all WOW am I enjoying this week :lol:

James Mum- If you are worried about weight gain I would shorten your feed routine again and if he is happy to feed every 3hrs that will put some more calories in him--But if the Health Nurse wasn't concerned and James is sleeping well and seems content I wouldn't worry too much. Sounds like you are doing a great job, and know your little guy well. As far as solids, my personal opinion is waiting until around 6months or first tooth is best. Their little digestive systems cope better the older they are. :)

Caroline-  if at all possible you could try to bring your routine back a bit, making Charlie's bedtime earlier, maybe around 7-7:30pm..this seems to generally suit most babies and helps with day routine.
 On your current routine Charlie is getting around 8-9 hrs at night and about 4 and 1/2 during the day, so if you can squeeze a couple more hrs in you will be getting up to about 14-15hrs in 24 which is on average what majority of babies need at this age. Its great that he is napping so well during the day for you, maybe shorten that last nap and wake him at around 6:30pm he should then settle pretty well for bed(after bath) at 7:30pm. Then if you want to try and get rid of the 5am wakeup you could add in a df at 11pm which should bring his wakeup either back to 4am(which may make it easier to settle him again) or it may lengthen his wakeup a little later ie 6:30am...it really depends on each baby as to how they respond to the df. Hope I haven't bombarded you!
 :D P.S I wouldn't stress about it just being you and him for now..your all he needs and wants at this age, later on introducing more people will be good for him-maybe a playgroup or good neighbours if you haven't got family close by.
Sam's Mum- Not sure but some of what I wrote above may help your 5am wakings...hope so and welcome  :)
Great reading through all the babies developments too!
Take care
Bianca
Bianca{Ky and Sienna}

Kyan Scott 21-05-03

Sienna Charlize 21-03-05

Offline Onewoman

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #147 on: August 04, 2005, 12:06:44 pm »
Hi there  :D
Just thought I would say hello to all the Mums in this forum. My baby is 17 weeks today, her birthday is 21st April and her name is Ruby Rose  :D . She is such a sweetheart and pretty contented most of the time!

I've been doing EASY since she was about 8 weeks old and some things have gone great - like teaching her to get to sleep on her own, but of course there are problems :? Thought I'd sorted the 45 minute naps then she started them again! Was sleeping a good 7/8 hours without waking - now wakes! Has been chewing her fists like mad today and think she might have started teething - she was NOT happy  :shock: . I'm trying to move to the 4 hr routine, but she has a cold and so things are all over the place!

Oh well, I'm sure we will get back on track. Would be cool to chat to some of you and share info and tips  :D
Susana xx
Mum to Ruby Rose (Spirited, Touchy)
& Ella Joy 4/10/92 (Teenage and hormonal)

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #148 on: August 04, 2005, 15:10:28 pm »
Wow - welcome to all the new moms who have joined in on our little thread!  So good to hear how everyone else is doing.

Katie, my LO, will be five months on Saturday (time flies) and at the present time is grabbing everything and putting it in her mouth (when I carry her around the house, her hands just try to grab whatever she can reach - yesterday she stuffed a catalog I was looking at in her mouth and cried when I took it away). 

She has now rolled over twice - just did it for the first time the day before yesterday - Bianca, my doctor said that with all the time babies spend on their backs now, they don't expect them to roll over until closer to 6 months now.

She is super chatty - makes lots and lots of noise - screams, squeals, cooes, you name it, she does it.  Loves to just scoot around, wiggle, kick, splash in the bath, roll on her side, anything that requires movement!  Makes changing her very interesting. 

No solids yet, here in the US, they use the 4-6 month guideline - the dr said she was probably ready at her 4 month checkup, but we've been holding off, based on all the research out there that says it's better to wait.  We'll probably start just past 5.5 months as they did want us to start before 6 and we'll be away that weekend and I didn't want to start something new then.  As it is, she has been getting her first two teeth for the past month or so (I've been able to see them, but they just won't come the rest of the way through) and keeps making these funny chewing motions with her mouth.  Makes me glad I've waited this long as she now seems more ready than she was a month ago, so I'm sure a few more weeks will help some more.

James' mom - I do agree with Bianca - if his lack of wait gain is a cause for concern, bring his feedings closer together.  However, if  your Health Nurse doesn't have a problem with his gain and he's having enough wet diapers (there are guidelines somewhere) I wouldn't worry.

KQ - I tried to get Katie onto a 4 hour routine at around 3.5 months, but she just wasn't ready for it.  She pretty much transitioned herself right around 4 months, so I would just go with the shorter routine until Sam lets you know he's ready.   

As for all your early wakers - Katie was up at 5 every day for about a month - seemed to be the last remnant of night wakings.  I just fed her at that point, but she did go right back to sleep, so I'm not sure what to tell you if they don't.  I found it didn't throw us off too badly for the rest of the day.  I think there's a few threads on it in the sleep forum.  I also found that if I would hear her start to stir at that time, I woudl go in right away and feed her and even though I know it's best to not rush in, I knew she was hungry and was going to wake up anyway, so I would feed her and she'd go right back to sleep for a few more hours.  I didn't do it that many times though, and I don't think it would be a good long term technique, maybe just a way out of early wakings.

Caroline - I don't think you're making Charlie into a clingy baby.  It's mainly just Katie and I and dh for a bit at night.  We wander around the park and the mall and stores so she can see other people which she loves, but I don't think they really need to interact with a wide variety of other people right now.  As long as you can put him down and he'll play happily and doesn't need to be physically attached to you all the time, I would think you'll be fine (just my opinion though, I have no experience to back this up!)

Take care all!
-Erin

Offline kq

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 12
  • Auckland, NZ
« Reply #149 on: August 04, 2005, 20:17:07 pm »
Thanks for the welcome and great advice! Your developmental stuff is great as Sam is a little younger but is beginning to do some of the above. I look forward to the rest! Will wait and gradually extend Sam to 4 hourly routine...He is easily distracted and although I feed him quietly and away from humdrum during the day, I suspect he is not getting enough calories as he is looking around. He also does not seem very hungry-might try 3 and half hourly and see if he stays on the breast longer.
Bianca-Thanks, I might try not feeding him again until after the 1st nap if he does 6 to6.30 am waking. I have not been DF him as he wakes up during the dream feed and I feel as if I am disrupting his sleep. Slightly confused about DF bringing back wake up time to 4 am. I thought is was supposed to extend it. I am quite keen not to have 5-6 am waking so might try DF again if it will bring wake up time to 4 am. Last night we had 11.30 pm (he woke up, not DF), 2.30 am then 6.30 am. The evening feed was a 6.30 pm.
James's mum-I agree that I would not worry about the weight gain. He sounds just like Sam, incredibly active! Sam just about pushes himself off my lap when held in a sitting position. I do feed in the dark and not make eye contact but he seems happy to chat in the dark but then begins to yell after a while.
Must dash, the 45 minute monster is rearing it's ugly head!
Karen
Karen