Author Topic: Any March & April 05 mums/moms want to chat?  (Read 108760 times)

Offline mileha

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Any March & April 05 mums/moms want to chat?
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2005, 01:31:00 am »
Hello ladies! First time visitor, and I need some support. I have a beautiful baby girl who is almost 8 weeks old (June 3rd). She sleeps great at night, but will not sleep during the day. Of course, by mid afternoon she is so fussy. How long did it take you to get on a good and EASY schedule?

Here is all the other info..

We co-sleep with her. She sleeps from about 1030pm-4am. She usually falls right back asleep, as I am bfing. She wakes around 630-7am for another feed. She SOMETIMES will fall back asleep.

xposted
1st time mommy to beautiful Kianna!

Offline BiancaB

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • http://www.tashanorpark.com
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2005, 03:25:51 am »
Hi to Mileha...Kianna's Mum
My little girl is also almost 8 weeks, on your question about daytime naps, I think that it is real important to follow Tracys advice and check out your feeding(E) first ie--how long she is feeding and how often. If all that is going well, then you may be missing her tired signs, so the next step would be to work out how long she can handle being up (A) at 8 weeks some babies can handle 45 mins or a little longer if a remeber correctly, my dd can only stay up 30 mins max after her feed(which takes about 25mins) and then I go through the steps of helping her to sleep, these are also outlined in Tracys new book...swaddle, hold until relaxed, place in crib, and either leave if you have a babe that goes to sleep on own, or do the PAT/ SHH method until asleep this can take a full 20 mins so watch the clock....if your baby cries a little just persevere they know you are there with them. Your little girl may have a sleep debt if she hasn't been napping at all during day, so it might be a little harder to get a good sleep routine happening during the day at first so hang in there.
Hope this helps :)
 Bianca
Bianca{Ky and Sienna}

Kyan Scott 21-05-03

Sienna Charlize 21-03-05

Offline piggywig

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2005, 08:28:10 am »
Forget everything I said earlier! Night times have gotten worse over the last couple of nights. I've Been cluster feeding as I wanted to really try that again, but he's now waking at 1.30am, then again at 3, then from 5 he wants to be awake! I'm so tired!
Are these forced feeds in the evening causing this? :O(

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2005, 07:46:35 am »
Piggywig, maybe you've hit a growth spurt?

Well the DF hasn't got me back to a 6hr sleep stretch yet (which I was getting if I put her to bed at 7pm she'd sleep till 1am), I've been doing it at 10pm and D will go 4hrs max.   :?  Although she did two sets of 4hrs the other night so only one night waking which was fab since Nathan's up at 6am anyway, we got a good sleep.  Unfortunately last night was back to a 3hr and then a 4hr...

How's everyone else doing?

Offline SouthernMom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2005, 14:41:02 pm »
Had an interesting night yesterday. My Mom watched my little one while my husband took me out for our first post baby date. I made up two bottles of 4 ounces each and told her to give him what he wanted. Since I've been BF, I really had no idea how much he would take. My doctor said perhaps 2 to 3 ounces. So, I got home and Pierce was happily in dreamland and had finished both bottles. Amazingly, he slept from 11 until 5:45! My little guy has not gone for more than 4 hours in the past week. I don't know what to think. Perhaps he's not getting enough food at night? I hope this isn't just a one time event. My advice (which is worth what you pay for it) to Piggywig would be to stick with the cluster feeds. More food in your baby's tummy should make him sleep longer. Hang in there everyone!

Offline jamie3boys

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2005, 18:53:41 pm »
Hi all, I am new to this post, but it looks comforting to have other mothers to chat with. Alex is 7 weeks on Wednesday, he was born March 30. I also have 2 other boys, 5 and 3. So far Alex seems to be a spirited baby. He has had 2 growthspurts already, more than doubling his weight in just under 2 months. Its difficult to settle him to sleep, but lately I've found that swaddling him (using the aussie swaddle), holding him until he feels heavy, and then laying him down works wonders. He puts himself to sleep at almost every nap. Tanya, I bought one of your blankets from your website, very cute and very practical!!! I loved the instructions for the swaddle you sent with it. We use it for every nap and bedtime!!!
Days are going great. We operate on a 3 hour EASY most times. Sometimes 2.5 hours. He eats for about 20-25 minutes on both sides (he's breastfed) and then has activity for about 5-10 minutes in the afternoon and about 45 minutes in the morning and evening. He seems to like the longer naps between 11 and 4.
Nighttime is getting there. We lay him down around 7-8 and he sleeps until 12:30. He eats and then will wake up again at 4:30. Sometimes he will get up at 3, but after that last feed he usually sleeps until 6-7 and then he's up for the morning. We don't dreamfeed because we, too, go to bed at about 9. I'm thinking of doing one at 9 anyways though...any thoughts? We have a couple of rogue nights where he will eat an then be awake for about an hour afterwards. I dread those times!!! Its so hard to settle him then. I usually have my husband get up with him, but I think he's the reason he wake back up after just 20 minutes. I think he needs to be settled more and I'm the only one that takes the time to do that.
Just out of curiosity, for those breastfeeders, about how much breastmilk do you get when you express? I'm going to try a yeild this morning to see and I wanted something to compare it to.
Good to meet you all, Jamie
Married May 2000
Jacob - Born August 28, 1999
Toby - Born March 4, 2002
Alex - Born March 30, 2005

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2005, 08:31:33 am »
Hi Jamie, your night times are very similar to what goes on here (bedtime 7pm, wakes 12-1am and then again around 4am).  I attempted the DF for about 4 nights but it didn't make any difference so have decided to drop it for a couple of weeks and in the meantime see if Danielle stretches out her 1am waking a little.  I think a 9pm DF would be fine if it's a couple of hours after the bedtime feed.  With Nathan I used to give him the final feed at 7pm and DF at 9.30pm (started off at 10.15 and just pulled it back in to my preferred time). 

I've found cluster feeding doesn't work with Danielle, she basically hates to have food offered to her if she doesn't want it and struggles and wrestles with me the whole time and doesn't take much.  I've reverted to letting her set the pace and she will feed 3-4hrly, so will be interesting to see how that affects her night wakings - she feeds soooo much better and takes a lot more in, so think it will balance out anyhow. - unlike little piggy Nathan who took all the food that was offered.

I also find that she will generally have 2 x 1hr naps in the morning, then a 2-2.5hr nap in the afternoon which I usually need to wake her from and then a catnap in the early evening until time for the bedtime routine - so we're not really following EASY all that much anymore.

I haven't pumped any milk so can't comment on how much.  I know when I attempted pumping with Nathan I barely got anything, but know that that's not necessarily a good guide.

My little bubba no longer looks like a little bubba, can't believe how fast that first 6.5wks has gone and all without drama either, she just slots into our lives so easily. :D

Offline Schae

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2005, 12:07:10 pm »
Hello, may I join altho Luka was born 22 Feb??

We've been on a kind of EASY since birth, but am only really starting to teach him to fall asleep on his own for the past week. My fault for allowing other people to let me doubt myself.

How is everyone doing?
Proud mama to
Luka 22 Feb 2010 Textbook/Spirited
Tiisetso 18 Sep 2010 Textbook/Touchy
and three little angels

Offline jamie3boys

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2005, 15:10:26 pm »
Hi Shae!

Ugh, we had an AWFUL night last night. Alex went to bed at 8, but did not fall asleep until 11! I tried everything, feeding him, a pacifier, finally I brought him in bed with me, but nothing worked. He just fussed and fussed and then at 11 fell asleep. From there he was up all night. I'm going to try doing bath in the morning instead of night, so he is less stimulated before bed. anyone else do this?
Jamie
Married May 2000

Offline Schae

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2005, 19:43:51 pm »
Jamie

You're not alone in your awful night. We had a horrible night too. Luka went to bed at around 7.30 after his bath and cried and cried, nothing we did was right. And he didn't sleep during the night either.
And I also had my mom (I live with my parents.. not for long), tell me that I'm a child abuser because I was 'allowing' Luka to cry. Nice hey?

Tonight, it was a struggle to get him to sleep and we're not even using BW techniques anymore. If he cries then i'm called a child abuser, so I can't let him cry.

Hope he sleeps better tonight!  :D
Proud mama to
Luka 22 Feb 2010 Textbook/Spirited
Tiisetso 18 Sep 2010 Textbook/Touchy
and three little angels

Offline jamie3boys

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2005, 21:23:29 pm »
Shae, With my first son I was 18 and also lived with my mom and dad. They were extremely supportive, however, I did feel obligated to be an extra good mom. I did not use the BW I had never even heard of it then, I just went with my natural instict, fed when he seemed hungry and rocked him or cuddled him if he was fussy. At night, I would take him to bed with me and we would sleep comfortably in my queen size bed most times all night through. Maybe until you are on your own you could just do what seems right rather than what the book says?? :)

Alex had an AWESOME night last night!!! One thing I did different is do his bath an hour early. Someone had suggested before that he was becoming too stimulated from the 7:30 bathtime. Therefore an hour/two hours later he was still awake and now extremely overtired. The lack of nighttime sleep was making him more sleepy during the day and thus we were lost in a cycle. SO...last night we did bath at 6:30. I fed him at 7, and cuddled with him until he was drowsy around 7:30/7:45. Out like a light until 1:30!!!!! It was blissful sleep! :) Then he was up at 3:30, and 5:45, and then 7:30. I can handle that. Maybe an early bathtime will help you too Shae?

Jamie
Married May 2000

Offline suzanne672004

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2005, 12:28:05 pm »
Hi all,
can i join in? :lol:  i have a 10 week old girl named tahlia. she was born on 05/03/05. I have only just started the E.A.S.Y schedule this week. Tahlia is a spirited baby with a touch of angel and textbook. Its been great finding out that tahlia actually has abit of a pattern before i couldnt see it. Im having a little trouble with her day sleeps though, at first i was mistaking sleepy for hungry. Now i think im having trouble getting her to sleep i must be missing sleepy signs. this evening she went 4 hours straight of just E.A.E.A.E  :roll: Towards the end i knew she was overtired but couldnt get her down, however most days she has a period like this where she just doesn't seem sleepy at all is this normal? i honestly dont think she naps enough but she doesnt seem to need sleep. Also she is sleeping from 10pm at night till 4 am then till 8 am then till about 10/10.30am is this ok or should i be trying to get rid of the 4am feed? Tahlia introduced evening cluster feeds herself so sometimes i wonder if she needs it. 

Thanks Suz

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2005, 01:00:14 am »
Hi to all our newbies!  :D

Suzanne, you shouldn't actually need to try and get rid of that night feed, it will gradually extend out on it's own.  You may need to make sure you're on a 3hr EASY during the day and if that feed is still at exactly the same time each night in a week or so, then you could maybe try Tracy's wake to sleep method (haven't tried it myself though). 

Well we've finally got the DF working for us.  I pick Danielle up at 10pm, and she's been going till 3-3.30am and then this morning slept till 7.15am.  Yay - she even managed to sleep through Nathan's screeching at 5am when he refused to go back to sleep - and here was me thinking that he was "training" her to wake at 5am.  So happy that we're getting there with the one night waking - it's not every night yet, but maybe half of the week has been like that.

Offline tigris

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2005, 00:50:53 am »
Hi everyone,

I am a newcomer too, and my baby is exactly 2 days older then Suzannes - Daniel was born March 7, 2005. We started on EASY when he was about 3 weeks old, but I have to admit it was a rocky road at first. It just seemed impossible for me to both follow his cues and keep the flow of EASY going. What should I do if he woke up after a nap and it was just 1.5 hour since the last feed? Give him food or let him have A-time until it was time to eat/he got hungry?
Anyway, with time we got the hang of it, and I am amazed now in hindsight over how much things seems to change constantly as he develops. What worked like a charm last week is useless now, and what he could not do yeasterday is a piece of cake today... :lol:
I am giving Daniel a DF at 11, and he usually sleeps until somewhere between 3.30 and 6.00. It varies every night. Then he eats and goes back quickly to sleep until either he wakes or I wake him at 7. My problem is - and I wonder if any of you have some good suggestions - what do I do when he wakes at 5.30 or 6.00? There is only one hour left until wakeup and food-time. If I feed him, the whole days schedule goes out of whack. But I can't keep him hungry for a whole hour either. Any suggestions?

Kristina

Offline kGo

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2005, 02:49:09 am »
tigris, I had the same question, I just posted it on the EASY schedule forum... got a good response regarding letting baby sleep until she woke. I'm not sure what to do when Baby wakes up at 6am! Alas, I am same as you amazed at how weird babies are changing everyday and how I have to stay on my toes 24/7... as if I wasn't tired already!

Baby Reyvadee (Revy for short) was born April 19, 2005... this is a great forum to chat with everyone! She is a touchy/textbook, we're working HARD on naps. Nighttime is pretty good so far (I'm hanging onto this for dear life).

hope everyone is doing well around the globe with their new babies!
Mom to Reyvadee "Revy"
born April 19, 2005
Touchy/Textbook baby