Author Topic: Any March & April 05 mums/moms want to chat?  (Read 108045 times)

Offline herbst99

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Update on progress
« Reply #150 on: August 04, 2005, 20:21:49 pm »
Hi - Great idea on where everyone is at developmentally (We are from South Africa by the way...)
... lise was born on 04/03/05 so is 5months today!! As she is a spirited one NOTHING stops her from getting what she wants so - she is already rolling both ways, gums everything, screech all the time (this is pre-talking ... not bad manners in ones this small!!) and she gets soooo frustrated if she cannot reach a toy - she only knows that she wants it NOW but cannot get to it. I don't know if I should start praying for her to crawl early or not!!! She is sitting hunched over with a little bit of support but as she has reflux this position is usually uncomfortable as it puts pressure on her diaphram and she usually regurgetates if I leave her like this to long - hiccups as well (anyone else have this problem???)
She certainly keeps me very busy!!! She loves bath times and really enjoys music. unfortuanatly mom can't sing so we make do with some CD's. Started sollids today - some rice cereal and she LOVED it!! Was a big mess thoughAs she is formula fed since 4mths, I started solids a little earlier as she is already taking in 225ml formula 5 times a day - and I don't want to make this even more.
Well that is it! Bye for now
Nikki
Nikki - Mom of Lise and Cara

Offline james030405

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 22
  • James' birthday is 3rd April 2005
Any March & April 05 mums/moms want to chat?
« Reply #151 on: August 04, 2005, 21:50:15 pm »
thanks for the encouragement on the weight gain - I will just have to wait and see I guess.  My lo is almot rolling over from front to back (he is a tummy sleeper  :( I know this is wrong but he sleeps much better).  He is already pushing himself up onto his arms with them being fully extended.  During tummy time, he moves in almost complete circles and then gets frustrated because he has lost his toys.  He is sitting while we are holding him - if we put him in his car seat or bouncer and pushes with his elbows to sit up higher!!   :P

He loves his bath (I think he loves the massage after) and we also do swimming lessons (very important in Australia) and he loves them - splashes around.  We also do a baby gym which has lots of different activities for him to do as well as baby massage.

My day is usually:

3:30am/4am feed - goes straight to sleep
7:30/8am - awakes - feeds
9:30/10am - nap (sometimes 45mins/sometimes 1.5hrs)
11:30/12pm - awakes - feeds
2pm - nap (1.5hrs)
4pm - feed
5pm- bath
6pm - feed
7/7:30pm - bed
10-11 - df

Sometimes there is a short cat nap between 4 and 6 just depending on what we have done for the day.   This routine is what I do I think (I am having a case of nappy brain today)

Is there anyone in Australia that uses formula for babies with dairy intolerance?  After seeing a lactation consultant , she said he may have a diary intolerance.  I mostly breastfeed and have pretty much cut out all diary (except where in foods).  I give him formula if he is with someone else or my supply feels low.  I have been using Nan 1HA Gold but this says not to be used on infants who have been "diagnosed" with diary intolerance.  He does seem to tolerate it okay.  I am still not sure if he does have an intolerance - just trial and error.  I was wondering if this is why he hasn't been putting on weight?  (Noticed something in allergies forum).  Sorry for waffling. 

Hope everyone has a great day.
[url=http://lilypie.com][/url]

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

« Reply #152 on: August 05, 2005, 01:04:50 am »
Wow, we have a clever bunch of babies! :D

Bianca, sounds like we're doing a similar thing at night so that's good to get confirmation.  I like your idea of not refeeding at 7am if she's already fed at 6-6.30am but just adjusting the schedule later in the day - I think that would work better for us.  The other day I ended up doing 3 cluster feeds before 11am since she wasn't eating properly because of her 5am feed -but it all worked out in the end.

Caroline - Danielle has also been doing some early morning wake ups and I've found if it's 5am-7am she will want to be up for the day - 5am's just way too early.  But it's not the same every night and like Bianca suggested, the DF seems to bring the night feed in earlier for us and then she's likely to sleep right past the 5am point and go 6.30-7am - so prefer the earlier night feed rather than too close to morning. 

James 030405 - nothing wrong with tummy sleeping if that's the informed decision that you've made - there are a lot of mums on this site who's babies do tummy sleep.  Just like my non-vaccination decision, it's a choice as a parent that you make.

kq - I found when Danielle was not staying on feeding for long that for me was a sign to stretch out her day feeds, just take it gradual and see how it goes.  Danielle was always a 5-10min feeder, on the 4hr schedule she now feeds 15-20mins but it's only now at 4mths that it works really well for her.  When I first tried the 4hr routine she wasn't feeding long enough to stimulate my milk supply so I had a drop and went back to 3hrly feeds for a week or so and then tried again, now she feeds for longer and my milk supply keeps up great.

Erin, I also plan on holding off on solids even though we're also recommended 4-6mths.  Most mums I know do it sooner rather than later though.  I didn't with Nathan until he was 5.5mths.  Although at our well-child visit the other the nurse suggested I do solids since she's still waking once or twice a night - my question back to her was well if she only feeds every 4hrs and isn't even enthusiastic about that (I actually have to offer her food at 4hrs she doesn't ask for it), surely food will take away her desire for more milk?  she had to agree - made me mad actually because surely that would then mean a decrease in supply and the possibility of loosing my milk supply?  Too bad if I accepted her advice blindly without questioning it.

I've suddenly noticed that Danielle can stay up for 3hrs or so!  A few times lately she's had her usual 45min morning nap and then stayed awake till her 12.30pm nap which is her big 2.5hr one.  It actually works better that way.  It only works though if she's woken at 6.30am or later - otherwise she needs another little nap prior to 11am to keep her going until the big sleep (I don't like to mess with this one since it's the same time that Nathan sleeps).

Anyone's babies chatting in the night and then going back to sleep?  Danielle's been doing this for the last week and sometimes after a night feed does it, but fortunately we've only had one incident of her waking at 5am and not resettling.

So last night/today we look like this:

11pm woke for a feed (I'd decided not to do DF)
4.30am feed and back to sleep after 15mins of chatting
6.30am woke and chatted to herself
7am up
7.30am feed
8am nap (45mins)
11am feed
12.30pm nap (she'll sleep until 2.30-3pm)
3pm feed
4.30pm nap (45mins)
6.45pm feed
7pm bed

Have a good day for all of us "down under" and evening the rest of you! :D

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

« Reply #153 on: August 05, 2005, 01:21:05 am »
Thanks for sharing that Judy re the vaccs - it is a tough decision huh?

See my comment above about how the 4hr routine actually works out well for my milk supply now.  I did go back and forward a bit, but it's fine now.

It must really be tough being pulled all directions, it happens enough with just one other let alone thinking about a bit of "you" time.

Offline kq

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 12
  • Auckland, NZ
« Reply #154 on: August 05, 2005, 05:34:56 am »
Thanks Nikki, did you stretch out feeds by 15 minutes every few days as the 3rd book suggests? Also, how did you know that your milk supply was affected? I worry that these 5-10 minute feeds are affecting mine and hence the 2 night wakings. Expressing is hopeless as even with the super duper hospital grade one, I only get about 20 mls (no let down!).

The immunisation issue is tough! Nikki, I am from Auckland NZ and I see in the paper today that 5 fully immunised children (meningococcal vaccine) were admitted to hospital with meningococcal disease.
By the way, did you know about the campaign to try and break the record for the most number of women breast feeding simultaneously in public tomorrow? NZ time-11 am. Check out http://www.womens-health.org.nz if you are interested.
Karen

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

« Reply #155 on: August 05, 2005, 05:43:52 am »
kq - I actually went straight to 4hrly as she had not problem doing it, when she was on 3hrly she really wasn't interested, so it wasn't like I had to stretch her out.  I felt my supply wasn't too good when my boobs just never felt full at all, and in fact quite soft.  When she got used to the 4hrly feeds and started feeding for longer they filled up again in a few days.

Yes, I think I'll be doing my 11am feed along with all the other bf mothers tomorrow, just as well Danielle's on that schedule huh?  :lol:

That is the thing about vaccines, they're not a guarantee, so I think people can feel "safe" yet not realise they can still be at risk (esp since that vaccine is only for one strain). OK I'm done now. :wink:

Offline james030405

« Reply #156 on: August 05, 2005, 10:31:15 am »
Hi everyone

Well it seems that my 17week lo has learnt to screech.  He does this whilst crying and sounds awful  :cry: He seems to get frustrated very quickly as well.  James has always had the hiccups even in utero - I could always tell the difference from hiccups and movements.  I have heard that feeding can often settle the hiccups.  I have just read about 4-6months feeding in Tracey's third book and he definitely seems less interested in feeding (hence low weight gain) but she also said not to worry about it.

Has anyone else learnt to put arms up/out to be picked up?  I thought this would come a little later but he definitely seems to know and tells me when he wants to be picked up.   :shock:

Hope everyone has a nice weekend. :D

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #157 on: August 05, 2005, 15:37:20 pm »
Judy - Sounds like things are a bit nutty in your house, but it most certainly will pass.  When my nephew was a newborn, my sister had a neghbor who was about 11 or 12 come over and play with her almost 2 year old just so he could get some one on one time.  Not sure if that's an option for you.  I know she paid her, but not as much as a babysitter.  We are on a mostly 4 hour routine here, Katie feeds 5-6 times a day and supply has been ok (although I was nervous making the switch and kept a close eye on it for a bit)...and with your challenges right now I don't think I would be thinking much about routine at all.  (Katie screamed in her car seat as well until just before 4 months when she started being interested in playing with her toys and looking out the window.  That was a great day!)

Nikki - Fuuny you should mention nighttime chatting as I could hear Katie on the monitor the other day at 4 AM just chatting away and then went back to sleep.  Made me laugh.  I agree that most people do seem to start solids much closer to the 4 month than the 6 month mark - still planning on waiting a few more weeks here.

Personally, I'm glad people bring up things like starting solids and vaccinations as it helps me to look into things and question things I wouldn't have thought twice about otherwise.  I guess it's not necessarily the best thing to always follow dr advice blindly. 

I enjoyed reading all the updates.  Take care all!
-Erin

Offline Jayri

• Showing Appreciation 20
« Reply #158 on: August 05, 2005, 19:29:53 pm »
Hey all it is so good to hear that everyone is doing well.
I was just wondering as to if anyone has or is about to introduce solids to their lo's.
I am a little nervous of this, even though it is not the first time me doing this, it is however the first time I am doing it bf and on a routine.
I wish I had heard of bw with jayson, it would've saved so much hassle :oops:
Naomi mum to ds 17.06.03 and dd 26.03.05
&dh together since 23.02.01
[img=http://www.snugglepie.com/ezb/158880.png]http://www.snugglepie.com/ezb/158880.png[/img]

[url=http://www.snugglepie.com][img=http://www.snu

FrasersMum

« Reply #159 on: August 06, 2005, 02:32:50 am »
Hi all!

So many new arrivals on this board, it's hard to keep up!

Re solids, I phoned our child health line the other night to chat with them about the fact that Fraser is still super fussy quite a bit of the time (I had 1.5 hours of screaming the other day - not fun!  When Frase is at home with his dad when I am at work, DH struggles with the screaming as well)  So I phoned them to check that they thought all was ok and they suggested that we try solids.  As has been mentioned already, the standard in Australia at the moment is 6 months but from 4 in certain circumstances.  My gut tells me that Frase is not ready yet so we will be waiting until much closer to 6 months. 

As for the dreaded fussiness - well, he is a "grumpy" so perhaps that is the cause?  Perhaps it's still that the Zantac is still kicking in for the reflux?  I'm not sure but I'm off to the GP on Monday morning (I have a lump in my breast which I'm a bit worried about, but that's a whole other story!) so I'll have a chat with her and see what she thinks....

Still no screeching here  :lol: Sounds funny though and I'd like to hear it (perhaps only once!!)

Hey James's Mum - I'm also in Brisbane!!  What suburb are you in??

Anyway, thanks as always everyone for being there!  Enjoy your weekend and chat next week....

Offline Onewoman

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #160 on: August 06, 2005, 08:57:12 am »
Thanks for the warm welcome  :D Having read your posts I now know I am not alone in the problems we are having! It's good to know, as I have been very stressed these last few weeks, wondering what on earth I am doing wrong and what I can do to fix things!

The main probs are;

Not feeding well in the day (I am breastfeeding), bobbing on and off, generally not very interested in eating, so I am trying to move to 4hr, but stuck on about 3 1/4 - 3 1/2 because of her napping.

Waking up more at night to make up for lost calories in the day. She used to sleep from 7 - 3 have a feed then wake at 7. Now we are all over the place and I have found it very demoralising. I am trying to limit her night time intake by offering her water instead, so last night she woke at 11 - I tried to get as much milk into her as possible, then when she woke at 2 I gave her water and she went back to sleep til 4, when I fed her. Then she woke at 5 wanting to get up, but I just reswaddled her and she went back to sleep ok, (which is something to be glad of :lol: !),  then up at 7.

This feed she has at 4/5 am really interferes with her first morning feed. She's just not interested. What do you other Mum's do? I have tried leaving her up to 45 minutes, but then we are getting close to 8 am for a feed and it mucks up the rest of the day as then I am trying to feed her more frequently than she needs to make sure she has her bedtime feed at 7 :?

45 minute naps are problem, which I thought I had sorted but has come back  :shock: . A 3 hr routine is manageable with them but we can't manage a 4hr with them. I'm just feeling a bit lost right now  :?

The one thing I have to remember though is that at least she goes to sleep by herself  :D ! That is one achievement a lot of Mums I know would love.

Does anyone's baby actually follow the 3 or 4 hr routine as stated in Tracey's book? Or is it unattainable to us mortal Mums :shock: Just wondered as I am putting myself under so much pressure to try and get it all right.
Susana xx
Mum to Ruby Rose (Spirited, Touchy)
& Ella Joy 4/10/92 (Teenage and hormonal)

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

« Reply #161 on: August 06, 2005, 09:15:02 am »
Onewoman, you're issues sound VERY similar to what I've been experiencing.  I've just been mostly going with the flow and it all works out at the end fo the day, things do take a little tweaking and pre-thought at the start of the day though on how to get it all to work.

Re: 4hr schedule - this definitely fixed Danielle's fussing at the breast and bobbing on and off, she started feeding for a lot longer too.  The key to getting onto 4hr EASY is to having your lo sleeping right up to the next feed time or within 1/2hr of it I find.

Re 45min naps.  We have one in the morning and the way I get around it to fit in with the 4/4 is to have her up for about 1.5hrs after the 45min nap and then pop her down for a catnap to tide her through to 11am (even if it means putting her in the frontpack) - although in the last few days she's actually survived without the 2nd catnap and lasts until her 12.30pm nap.  That way the extra 20mins catnap will tide her over for another 2hrs of activity before going down for a nap at 12.30-1pm.  It's not the proper method, but it works for me, I don't have time to do pu/pd and she's so happy awake at that time, that I don't have the heart to work on it.  So we look something like this in the morning.  Wake 6.30am and feed, 8am nap for 45min, 8-45-10.15am activity, 10.30am catnap until 11am then feed. 

Re: 4am waking - I also find if Danielle feeds 4am onwards that it means she doesn't feed well at 7am.  It it's around 4am I will limit the feed so as to not fill her up too much (it is difficult to get it right though).  So as per Bianca's suggestion, if I end up feeding at 6am onwards I will treat that as the first feed of the day, but not necessarily get her up ie feed at 6am, put back to sleep, when she wakes at 7am don't refeed, but feed again 10amish.  We haven't had this problem lately though.  I don't mind having an 8am feeding when I know she wouldn't take it at 7am, because I will then refeed her again at 11am fine and we get back on track.  I hear you about having to add an extra feed to keep bedtime at 7pm.  Some days I add an extra feed and don't worry about it - it might end up right before a nap, but because we don't do it all the time Danielle's not conditioned to "need it".

Night wakings in general - ours are still all over the place and I will feed either once or twice between 7pm-7am.  Last night she woke at 11.40pm and fed and then went right through until 6.45am yet other nights will wake again at 4am - I'm just going with the flow at the moment and not trying to drop feeds if she wakes (I haven't been doing the DF recently).

Hang in there, sounds like you're doing a fab job!  Just when you get it all sorted out, things will change all over again. :)

Offline Onewoman

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #162 on: August 06, 2005, 12:10:50 pm »
Thanks for your reply Nikki~Nathan&Danielle's Mum :D I will try your suggestions - the extra catnap to make it through to the next feed and feeding before a nap now and again. I agree it wouldn't really hurt to do it sometimes.

TOday has not been too bad actually - so far anyway :wink: I did try to limit the 4 am feed and must have got it about right (It's so hard to tell when b/f) because then she ate well at 7.30, had a 1.5 hr nap though I did have to resettle her at 45 mins and has had another good feed at 11.00 (Both boobs and she hasn't done that in weeks!)

Hopefully we can keep it on track today  :) It took a while for her to settle into the 3hr routine going from 2.5 hrs, so I guess I just need to be patient while we do this transition and stop stressing! I'm not really bothered about the timings of things too much, it would just be nice to have a bit of predictablility so I can plan my day a bit and more than 2.5 hours sleep in one hit would be nice too!

Thanks for the encouragement - I needed it :D
Susana xx
Mum to Ruby Rose (Spirited, Touchy)
& Ella Joy 4/10/92 (Teenage and hormonal)

Offline james030405

« Reply #163 on: August 07, 2005, 09:49:20 am »
Hi James&Riley's mum,  I have been thinking about starting James but it is not recommended in Australia until 6 months.  I think I might start in about 4 weeks.  I am seeing a child health nurse this week and will discuss it with her.  I have a very active spirited/textbook boy and he is starting to grab for my food when I am holding him.  I have heard this is a sign of them getting ready to start solids.  I would be interested to see if anyone else is starting. 

We have been having some problems with settling this week.  He is a very good sleeper and can resettle himself if needed.  His naps are generally 2 x 1.5hrs and a catnap in the afternoon.  It is just the settling we are having problems with.  I do pat/sh and putting him down just has the tired signs are shown (yawning and rubbing eyes) and also have kept him up for a little longer after seeing these sings but he is still getting upset when being put into cot.  pat/sh usually works and he is asleep in about 10mins but that seems to have changed.  Can tired signs change after 4mths? :roll:

Offline james030405

« Reply #164 on: August 07, 2005, 09:52:14 am »
Hi Frasers' mum
We are in Boondall on the northside.  What about you?  James is a spirited/textbook baby (sometimes I think with a touch of the grumps)