Author Topic: Any March & April 05 mums/moms want to chat?  (Read 108713 times)

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Any March & April 05 mums/moms want to chat?
« Reply #165 on: August 07, 2005, 14:34:46 pm »
James' mom - I find that Katie has very clear tired signs for her first nap, but sometimes I do much better clock watching (at the suggestion of someone on this thread) for the second nap.  (Usually 2 to 2.5 hours after she wakes from her first nap, if I put her down she'll nap without much fuss, even if she didn't seem all that tired to start.)

Ruby's mom - Yeah, I wouldn't think too many of us "mortal moms" get the routine as stated in Tracy's book.  At least I know I don't.  Basically we try and get the general E, A, S pattern at roughly 3-4 hour intervals, although it tends to fall apart at night where I usually throw in an extra feeding if she's fussy.  If she wakes early from naps, we do EASAE.  She generally sleeps through the night, but I really just chalk that up to her temperament not to any miracles that I've performed.  Hang in and I'm sure things will sort themselves out as she gets older.  Must be interesting having a teenager and a tiny one at once!

Regarding solids, we're giving it a few more weeks, will probably start her just before 6 months as we will be away when she turns six months and don't want to start anything new just then.  She's interested and all, but the more I read, the more it seems like its best to wait.  I'm glad we've waited this long. 

I was awakened at 3 AM last night, not by Katie but by the bat that somehow found its way into our house and was flying around our bathroom knocking things over.  Poor thing.  Fortunately we were able to get it outside - still can't figure out how the darn thing got in though.  Always interesting!

-Erin

Offline mickymuscles

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA
« Reply #166 on: August 07, 2005, 20:07:06 pm »
hi all,
we are fully on the 4/4 with consistent 1.5 hour naps....he wakes crying so i know he needs a bit more sleep but cannot get him back to sleep for the life of me unless i hold him...but i don't want to revert back to our bad habits!!!!  Anyways, we did try starting rice cereal at 4 months (pressure from my mom-said it would making him sleep better).  It caused him to have the worst constipation!!!  Boy-did my mom ever feel bad for pressuring me to give it to him (and of course it didn't help him sleep longer either!) So needless to say we are waiting till he is a little older!
Micky
mom to 2 beautiful boys!

FrasersMum

« Reply #167 on: August 08, 2005, 02:49:15 am »
Erin, a bat!  How funny!   :lol:  :lol:  Just when you think you are going to get a good nights sleep.....

James's Mum - I have noticed that Fraser's sleepy signs are not as clear now as they were when he was a little younger.  Like Erin, we watch the clock as well and put him down if we are reaching 2 - 2.5 hours of awake time.  We still find that he is so much easier to get to sleep if we catch him early enough.  We are at Gordon Park - not far from you at all!  How are you getting on with you LO's weight?  Has he started gaining again after his slow spell?

Hey Nikki, have been reading with interest your observations on the dreamfeed - I tried it with Fraser for a couple of weeks but it seemed to unsettle his sleep and he would feed twice on the nights after a DF and only once without it.  Very similar to what Danielle has been doing for you.  It's lovely and refreshing to read your posts, especially as you are one of the (I consider) experienced mums - you always seem to write that you just go with the flow..  I think that I get far too caught up with schedules and times and clock watching so thank you for bringing me back to Earth with your posts!

Hugs to all the mums, hope everything is bright in your world

Chat soon, of course!

Offline kate585

• Showing Appreciation 78
  • My darling redheads!!!
« Reply #168 on: August 08, 2005, 03:17:34 am »
Hi!  I'm new to this posting thing, so be patient.  My Ryan is an Angel baby (thank goodness!) who was 9 lbs. at birth.  He's transitioning himself to the 4/4 schedule.  He weighed 17 1/2 lbs. at his 4 month checkup, so his doctor suggested starting him on solids.  He's actually been doing very well on them.  I am having 2 issues with the eating, however.  First, Ryan has discovered his hands BIG TIME and fusses if I try to hold them down while feeding.  If I let them go to get more food, they instantly go into his mouth, making a huge mess, but more importantly, knocking a lot of the food out of his mouth.  The other issue is that he cries like crazy whenever I am done feeding him.  At first, I thought he just didn't like me wiping his face, but when I waited to see if that was the problem, he still screamed.  He'll look at me, look at the empty bowl, look back at me, and then lose it.  He is usually a pretty happy baby, so this is a bit out of character.   Any suggestions?  I have loved reading all of your posts and feel like this is a great place to get some advice.   Thanks!
Kate,

Offline james030405

• Showing Appreciation 22
  • James' birthday is 3rd April 2005
« Reply #169 on: August 08, 2005, 04:44:32 am »
Fraser's mum:  you're not very far at all - maybe we could catch up one day.  I am taking him to see the child health nurse on Thursday to talk to her about it.  He is still on the 4/4 routine - i have tried to see if he is hungry after 3hrs if he is awake and he comes off and cries.  I often leave it for 1/2hr or 1hr and he seems to drink better (he only drinks for about 10mins - is this normal)?  I am not sure if this pulling off is due to him not being hungry or reflux.  I have just had a look at the reflux site and he does seem to have a few of the symptoms - vomiting (but not always) pulling off, not gaining weight etc.  I have discussed this with a doctor and they didn't seem to think he had it, I will talk to child health nurse on Thursday.

In regards to sleeping, he was awake for 5hrs yesterday between 2:30pm and he finally went to bed at 7pm :oops: I was watching for the signs and he would get so upset when put down, I would have to pick him and to comfort him.  We also had an hour crying today - I eventually gave him some children's panadol because he was really crying and biting down on his hands - I was wondering if it was his teeth - he calmed down and went to sleep after this. :cry: I really hate it when he goes to sleep crying :cry: .  He has been asleep for 2hrs so far, so I don't have a problem with sleeping as such it is just the settling.  I have been trying to read tracey's 3rd book and cannot really see any answers in there - I have tried the 4 steps to winding down (except we don't swaddle, so only 3 steps) and he still does it.  Has anyone else begun teething? :?

He is only waking once a night and feeds for about 10-15mins.  I have been trying not to do the dream feed but he seems to need it as he wakes at around 12pm hungry.  I am going to try and feed tonight at 6:30/8:30 and 10:30pm like Tracey says in her book and see if that can sustain him until 5am. 

Hope everyone else is going well.  I seem to have a great baby except for this settling thing :(

Lisa - mum to James (Textbook/Spirited)
[url=http://lilypie.com][/url]

Offline BiancaB

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • http://www.tashanorpark.com
« Reply #170 on: August 08, 2005, 23:57:15 pm »
Hello everyone :)

and especially to any newcomers to this board.

Lisa- Reading your post I would say that you are describing what sounds alot like overtired/overstimulated baby. I'm not sure of your day routine, but the crying when put down in bed is pretty standard while you are sleep training and the biting down on hands and really getting worked up is something I've seen with my dd when she is just tooo tired...They are trying to find a way to comfort themselves and they can get very frustrated. I have written this in another post but at times like these I have had to just hold her firmly in my arms and walk up and down in dark room until she starts to relax.
In Tracys original bw book she describes overtired/overstimulated signs, and also explains that they will sometimes just scream until they are exhausted and finally crash when they are just too wound up to settle.
A couple of things to try..
1.Help your baby to learn to self-soothe ie sucking fingers or thumb
2.Try Tracys pu/pd tecnique- placing baby down and doing pat shhh, during which he may be crying(quite loudly :shock: ) then pick up and place down again slowly and start pat shhh again.
 When over 4months you don't hold baby until they are calm and then put them down as this just makes things worse. 
 You are picking them up only to break the crying cycle and to reassure them that you are there, but you put them down again while they are still crying and continue your pat shh ...REMEMBER if you start pu/pd you have to be prepared that it may go on for up to 45mins, sometimes longer and if you end up rocking baby in your arms, you will have wasted all that crying and time. But if you successfully end up with a baby settled in there cot it only gets better and shorter(time) as they learn that bed is where they will fall asleep, with Mum always nearby offering support :)
   It may help if your ds doesn't have a pacifier, to hold his hands close to his mouth and encourage him to suck them while you do pat ssshh.
 Alternatively, you could hold him in your arms until he has gotten to the eye slowly shutting stage of sleep and then lay him down..but be prepared that if he hasn't learnt to settle in his cot he may cry when you put him down in which case you could try the above.
 If you put your baby down in his cot when he is sound asleep he hasn't learnt to go to sleep independently.
If you haven't got Tracys first book I would recommend it as it has heaps of good tips.
Hope some of this helps and is understandable :D
Any questions please ask, I have had good practice and complete success using Pu/PD with both my children, ds was a touchy so we needed to use it quite alot in the early days :wink: 
Bianca :)
Bianca{Ky and Sienna}

Kyan Scott 21-05-03

Sienna Charlize 21-03-05

Offline herbst99

• Showing Appreciation 0
Hallo again
« Reply #171 on: August 09, 2005, 20:24:37 pm »
Hi all - well we are just back from a long weekend away golfing ... Lise was suppose to stay with my mom but SUDDENLY developed stranger anxiety with even people she stays with regularly (she is a very attached baby and does not like being held by strangers!!) I was torn in 2 about leaving her for 4 nights and after a week of spending whole days with my mom - me leaving for a few hours at a time and then returning - things did not get better. I would be as if she suddenly realizes I am gone and then starts crying inconsolably ... my mom would try settling her for 30 min after which she would usually call me to come home ... SO I decided to take her along and it was great. Nightime sleep was a little disruptive but we will fix that now that we are back home.

Lise is on the 4/4 and does great - Nikki~Nathan&Danielle Lise also naps only 45 min and I also then try and put her down for a catnap before the 11:00am feed ... this works great for us to!!

Good news is that Lise was able to sit unsupported for a couple of minutes yesterday ... I have her back on her LOSEC as she was defianatly starting to do go backwards again without it (She is on ANTI REFLYX formula as well).

Re Solids - I am sticking with the RICE cereal untill she is 6mths ... one recommendation is that you do it 2hrs after a milk feed - so she gets a couple of teaspoons at around 5 after which it is time for a 30 min nap before bath, massage, bottle and bed at 7:00. When starting with veg the evening cereal will move to the morning around 9 and the evening cereal be replaced with veg ... fruit can then be introduced for lunch ... will keep you updated as we go trough trial and error.
Nikki - Mom of Lise and Cara

Offline james030405

• Showing Appreciation 22
  • James' birthday is 3rd April 2005
« Reply #172 on: August 11, 2005, 02:42:29 am »
Hi everyone,  Well I could not have had a more changing week with things that have happened.  James rolled over from tummy to back on Monday although hasnt done it again.  I took him to the child health nurse today and they said his weight gain is fine for a breast fed baby. 

Tuesday night James woke every 3hrs from 7:30pm to 5pm and wanted to be fed (apparently a growth spur) and last night (wednesday) he slept from 7:30pm till 3:45pm (with a 10pm dream feed), fed and then slept till 7:30am.  The only difference with feeding is that his 11, 3 and 6:30pm feeds were formula and df was bf.  He just looks so much more settled and content after formula that I have decided to formula feed during the day and breast feed d/f and first feed (and maybe 2nd) of the day.  The child health nurse said that a lot of women do this and it works well.  I will see how we go tonight.

In regards to settling, he has also had a break through.  Instead of pat/sh now, we just put him down when showing the tired signs and he cries for about 5mins (nothing to stressful) and then he puts himself to sleep.  I thinkthe pat/sh was stimulating him even more. So far,so good with this technique.  If he gets a bit distressed, I just place my hand on his back talk to him and he settles down. 

Re: solids, the child health nurse said that maybe in about 3 weeks, I could try him on rice ceral.  She gave me a list of things to look for to seeif he was ready - he has about 1/2 of them already so I might wait till months and then try. 

I hope everyone is coping okay. 

Lisa
[url=http://lilypie.com][/url]

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
« Reply #173 on: August 11, 2005, 10:04:11 am »
Hi there, sorry if this post is a bit garbled, but I've not had much sleep!

There's been some chat about when to start solids, so I thought I'd share my experience with you. Charlie has been starting to get more hungry, and waking earlier in the morning (5am  :shock: ), and I've been getting pressure from all quarters - "why isn't that baby on solids yet?" "you really should have started him on solids by now" "he'll sleep better you know"  :roll: . So I tried him on baby rice last night for the first time. To be fair, he took to it like a duck to water, swallowed everything that went in, and enjoyed licking the spoon. I was very proud!

BUT - one hour after going to bed he woke with such a scream - very distinguishable as pain, and could not be soothed. He was upset all night, hitting his tummy, and screaming / sobbing. This is a baby who has slept through the night since 2.5 months.

This has convinced me that I was right, he is TOO YOUNG, and I won't try again for a while.

This is a good lesson learned - trust my own instincts.
Thank you for listening!
Caroline
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline Jayri

• Showing Appreciation 20
« Reply #174 on: August 11, 2005, 17:22:02 pm »
Well thought I would post and say hi to all. We have an annual buskerfest here in halifax, so we have been busy with that.
Riley discovered rolling on her belly, she got stuck with her arm under her but after a while she just yanks it out and lays there squealing at the top of her lungs :lol: . I am very pround, I guess this is where the change from newbie to growing up takes place.
i think I am going to wait till 6 mtns for riley's solids. the wierd thing is, is that when I had Jayson in 2003, they said to start him at 4mths, he wouldn't take it until around 6 though, and now they are saying to wait till 6mths :? . nevermind.
This is a little off the board topic, but I was wondering if any of you aussie mums would pm me, dh and I met up with some long lost friends and they were wondering why we hadn't moved moved to australia yet. things are in the planning stage at the moment, like what we need to save and do etc..,
but we are looking at the sunshine coast in queensland and wondered what tips anyone would have,
anyway, gotta run,
Naomi mum to ds 17.06.03 and dd 26.03.05
&dh together since 23.02.01
[img=http://www.snugglepie.com/ezb/158880.png]http://www.snugglepie.com/ezb/158880.png[/img]

[url=http://www.snugglepie.com][img=http://www.snu

Offline herbst99

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re Solids
« Reply #175 on: August 11, 2005, 19:54:23 pm »
Charlie's mum - I am so sorry to hear that solids did not go well - There are 2 reasons they now recommend one wait for solids until 6mths
 :arrow: Babies intestines not yet mature enough and also something about the exchange between the intestines and the bloodstream ... somettmes allergies will develop because of this??? unsure of details - anyone more clarity on this???
 :arrow: babies are born with the gag reflex which also includes (up to 6months!!!) the tongue thrusting reflex. While the tongue thrusting reflex is still intact it is sometimes considered as a sign that babies are possibly not yet ready for solids.
My DD is on rice cereals as an "sensory experience" and not so much for the calories etc ... we are just setting the stage for 6mths.
Hope you get some more sleep tonight!!
Have to give DF! Goodnight
Nikki - Mom of Lise and Cara

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

« Reply #176 on: August 12, 2005, 01:34:31 am »
Frasers mum - I'm flattered about being considered experienced, sometimes I really wonder what the heck I'm doing! :lol:   I drove myself around the bend trying to "make" Nathan fit EASY, and it's honestly so much easier this way but still keeping things in a routine, I couldn't imagine winging it though and on days when things are out of order I seriously have no idea what is hunger and what is overtired. :oops:  :?

Well we're going to hold off on solids until 6mths, not really looking forward to the extra work that will bring.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #177 on: August 12, 2005, 02:16:16 am »
Hooray - I finally stuck an Avatar up there that is neither giant nor miniature.  It was the darndest thing, I just couldn't get that inbetween size for the longest time. 

Nikki - I hear what you're saying about not making them fit EASY perfectly.  I've got Katie in the general swing of it, but I really don't worry if we haven't got it perfectly.  (And of course there are days that don't even remotely resemble EASY.

Anyone have a thumb sucker?  I'm beginning to think that if I let her, Katie would lay in her crib all day long and suck her thumb.  I don't even think she'd notice she was hungry.  I'm sure she'll grow out of it eventually!  (At least I hope she will - I have a cousin who is 22 and still a "closet" thumb sucker.) 

We are theoretically starting solids in about a week or so - we'll be just past 5.5 months at that point.  She seems much readier now than she did at 4 months, when the doctor told us she was ready if we wanted to start solids.  Just rice cereal though until 6 months, we'll see how it goes.  I have been getting the "you haven't started solids yet" comments though. 

Hope everyone is well!
-Erin

Offline kq

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 12
  • Auckland, NZ
« Reply #178 on: August 12, 2005, 04:56:40 am »
Nikki,
So pleased to hear that you were going with the flow. As a first time mum, I was bending over backwards trying to get Sam to fit EASY. Since reading your post, I have just been going with the flow and life is so much better! Keep the advice on solids coming as we are just turning 4 months and I was wondering if it was a good idea to start. Will now wait till 6 months.
Had a breakthrough and Sam is now taking the bottle although it takes him about an hour to feed. Breastfeeding has spoilt me as he only drinks for 5-10 minutes. Have been increasing interval between feeds slowly and he seems more interested now and is going between 10-20 minutes. Still on 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 hour.
Have a nice day all,
Karen
Karen

Offline Arwyn's mom

• Showing Appreciation 15
  • Arwyn -- April 5th, 2005
Help... dd only naps for 35 min!
« Reply #179 on: August 12, 2005, 07:00:26 am »
Hello there,

I'm a newbie to the message board and am desperately seeking some advice on how to extend my daughter's nap times. Because she only naps for such a short time, by the time it is nursing time, she falls asleep from exhaustion!

My day is usually spent fretting about how little she naps and by her late afternoon feed (3 pm or so), I give in and let her nurse to sleep. I also lay her down with me so she will sleep longer. I don't want to do this as a habit but I would really rather she sleep!

Anyways, does anybody have any advice on extending naps? Arwyn is nursing approximately every 4 hours or so. She wakes at about 6 am and goes to bed at 8 pm. I thought I had an Angel/Textbook baby but apparently not in the area of naps.

Arwyn's mom
Ankie
Burnaby, B.C. Canada