Author Topic: Any March & April 05 mums/moms want to chat?  (Read 108066 times)

Offline Jayri

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 20
Any March & April 05 mums/moms want to chat?
« Reply #225 on: August 23, 2005, 01:26:30 am »
Well Riley took four spoonfuls of rice cereal today, I decided to give it a go after she kept staring at our food for some time.
Her new thing is sticking her tongue out, I am finding it hard to explain to ds why dd can do things, like kick and he can't.
Also I think that the shock of having her around has hit him, he is fine with dd, but he acts up a lot so I think the lack of constant attention is starting to bother him. Riley is also up to 1 1/2 oz of ebm. Very proud. But she too has succumb to the bobbing of her head, and she has no sooner begun to roll over, we got all excited, and then that talent disappeared.
I got some pics of ds out last night, looked at him when he was Rileys age, where did my baby boy go to?
It seems like we are all teetering on the brink of solids, it is the waiting part that does me in, a bit like the final month of pg.

kara- I have no idea why they say to give water, I think that hydration is the main thing, it was with ds as he was on the bottle, but now that dd is bf, it is almost as if I am a beginner again, as they are such opposite types of babies.

keep up the good work everyone,
chat later.
Naomi mum to ds 17.06.03 and dd 26.03.05
&dh together since 23.02.01
[img=http://www.snugglepie.com/ezb/158880.png]http://www.snugglepie.com/ezb/158880.png[/img]

[url=http://www.snugglepie.com][img=http://www.snu

Offline BiancaB

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • http://www.tashanorpark.com
« Reply #226 on: August 23, 2005, 10:02:39 am »
Hello Girls :D
Thanks for your encouraging replys to my last post Nikki and Naomi :)
I think I will take the plunge and try them both in the same room..who knows it may turn out a good deal in the long run :wink: I'll keep you posted on that one.

Frasers Mum- Take a look at your current E routine it may need adjusting again- if he is fighting going down for naps etc he may need a longer awake time now that he is getting older and possibly longer in between feeds..I'm not sure because I don't know your current routine but this can be a good cure for 45min naps. If you are dealing with a touchy baby, naps and sleep are a struggle for quite awhile but they do love a good routine and predictability.
Hello Carters Mum and welcome :)  I have a quick feeder aswell so I can relate, but as long as they are thriving we just have to go with the flow and your boy sounds like he is for sure:wink:
Naomi- Just wondering whether Jason is also hitting a developmental stage, I say this because I have noticed that when Kyan is growing and changing he becomes very unsettled and acts out more--He has become very clingy lately aswell, but he is also in the process of getting his 2yr old molars and adjusting to a big bed!
 I try to make sure we have a good Mummy and just me time every day, I usually work this around Sienna's naps. And I also try to remember to get him involved with Si--IE He helps me get the nappys,wash her feet, push the pram etc. It helps him to feel included and a part of things which avoids resentment. Oh and alot of positive talk like "Sienna just loves you so much Ky, look how she is smiling at you" "You are such a terrific big brother" and so on... Just thought I would share this :D p.s We are in Melbourne(the colder end) but Sunshine Coast is a gorgeous area, we head there for holidays :wink:
Take care everyone Bianca
Bianca{Ky and Sienna}

Kyan Scott 21-05-03

Sienna Charlize 21-03-05

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #227 on: August 23, 2005, 15:51:25 pm »
Hi all and welcome to Cathy  :D

We started solids here this past Saturday - Katie was 5.5 months old, so we decided it was time - she's been showing all sorts of readiness signs forever.  So, rice cereal it was - tried mixing it with water initially, on the advice of the dr (to make it easier was her reasoning) and she wasn't too interested.  Tried mixing it with EBM and she loved it.  So, we're working on that right now.  Keeping an eye on her to make sure she doesn't get constipated as that seems to be a common problem with rice cereal.

Bianca - I shared a room with my sister from the time I was born until I was 7, don't think it bothered me too much!  I'm sure they will be fine once they get used to it.  If we have #2 while in this house, I think we'll be headed down that road as well. 

Naomi - Moving to somewhere called the "Sunshine Coast" sounds like a good idea if you ask me!  (But that's only based on the name, not any real knowledge of it!)

Jo - Teeth maybe?  That's my only thought - Katie's been teething on and off forever now and the nights when it bothers her, she is very hard to settle.

Cathy - I have a quick feeder as well - and after those first few good minutes, she does bob on and off to look at whatever is currently interesting her.  I'm just trying a sippy with her - she's interested, but not really sure how it works yet. 

Quote (selected)
Kasia has rolled over tummy to back a number of times (coincidentally, the first time was at the doctor's office after I had just finished saying that she wasn't rolling yet.  ) But now, for some odd reason known only to her, she has stopped rolling .
Isn't that just the truth with everything these LOs do - today I will nap, tomorrow I will not.  Why?  I'm not telling!

Hope all is well with everyone!
-Erin

Offline kq

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 12
  • Auckland, NZ
« Reply #228 on: August 23, 2005, 20:19:12 pm »
Good to hear from you, Erin. Too right about doing one thing the next and not on another...Well, Sam turned 4 months old yesterday and has been rolling onto his back from his tummy although he does take a while and gets frustrated when his arm gets in the way...sometimes incredibly frustrating to watch! He has also been grabbing at things on his playgym and the giggling is just priceless! :D
Naomi, lucky you, the Sunshine Coast is gorgeous although I must say I have only seen in from the touristy point of view. Lovely place for children, so close to the sea and great weather!
Sam has started to look very interested when we eat but we are going to hold off till at least 5.5 months before doing anything about it.
We are still struggling with 45 minute naps and everyday, I pray that today is the day we crack it..after the stress of the past week, I now just get him up and put him down again if he shows tired signs so sometimes we do EASASE. Thanks for the tip..Nikki. :) Makes the day more bearable as he just gets MAD with PU/PD and shush/pat unless he is exhausted. Even then, as soon as he catches my eye, he will smile and chat and then it is all over for that nap cycle.
Hope you all have a good day,
Karen[/i]
Karen

FrasersMum

« Reply #229 on: August 23, 2005, 23:04:05 pm »
Thanks everyone for your responses to my last post.

Yesterday we had a much better day  :D  although it did require a lot of hard worl.  I was vigilant about watching for sleepy signals and getting Frase off to bed straight away.  He is still struggling a little with settling but it was far easier than for the past few days.  I also successfully resettled him after a 45 min nap during his early pm sleep so he did 2 x 1.5 hour naps and 1 x 1 hr nap (I had to wake him because I didn't want a long nap to interfere with bedtime). 

Bianca, because I am a novice and a stickler (and am trying to heed Nikki's advice and go with it a little more but only succeed sometimes  :oops: ) our routine is straight from the book.  The only difference is we don't often make it to 7am wake up - more often it's about 6.10 or 6.15 - so the first nap is taken at 9.30am instead of 10am and so on for the rest of the day.  We try really hard to stick to the routine because I am a working Mum and DH looks after DS when I am at work so he needs the help in knowing what is likely to come next.  Not so easy for the Dad's I think who don't have all the right "equipment" to soothe their BF babies!!

Erin, I also wondered about teething but I am so reluctant to say it might be because I constantly get M and MIL putting DS's grumpy nature down to "teething" I don't believe they accept that he is a serious little boy.  Even though he won't chat to them or crack a smile around anyone other than DH or me.   :roll: Can't wait though for those first little teeth to pop through so something can actually have been teething!

Sorry my posts are always so long - I always start with thinking I'll just jot down a little note, and they become novellas!  Sorry!

Have a great day everyone
Jo

Offline james030405

• Showing Appreciation 22
  • James' birthday is 3rd April 2005
« Reply #230 on: August 24, 2005, 01:14:25 am »
HI Everyone

Erin, you will love the Sunshine Coast.  I have family up there and have also lived up there.  I wish I could live up there as it is beautiful.  Lovely beaches and mountains.  The best of both worlds. 

James rolled over for the first time a couple of weeks ago and didn't do it again till today - whilst he was trying to go to sleep.  Twice I had to go int there to roll him back (he is a tummy sleeper).   James is also bringing his knees up into crawling position.  Anyone else doing this? :roll: I havent' had to do pat/sh for a couple of weeks, we just put him down and walk out.  He often cries but it is just a tired cry and then he goes to sleep.  The last couple of days he has REALLY cried and I think I need to extend his awake time.  We are still not sleeping through the night either.  The last couple of nights he has woken at 10:30pm and because I was going to do a dream feed anyway, I feed him.  He then wakes between 2 and 3am for a feed and sleeps through till 7:30am.  He always wakes up happy and likes to have a play in his cot so he doesn't usually get up until 8am. :D

I am getting ready to start solids as well.  He is showing all the signs andwe have bought a highchair and sit him in it while I am making dinner so he can get use to it.  He loves sitting and watching what is going on.  I think I will start in a couple of weeks when he is over 5mth. 

Hope everyone else is well. 

Lisa- mum to James
[url=http://lilypie.com][/url]

Offline kate585

• Showing Appreciation 78
  • My darling redheads!!!
« Reply #231 on: August 24, 2005, 01:26:56 am »
Hey everyone!  Ryan is doing so well on solids, I thought I would share to inspire all of you who are about to start.  My ds is HUGE (almost 20 pounds and maybe 27-28 inches?  Always in the 90-97th percentile) so his doctor told us to start cereal and solids after his 4 month check up.  He has taken to it right away, but I thought Lisa's suggestion about trying out the highchair before actually starting was a great suggestion...Ryan had some trouble adjusting to the position and fussed some at first.  Now he is eating like a horse!  Cereal and fruit in the am, veggies and fruit at lunch, and cereal and veggies for dinner.  And, he still breastfeeds regularly, although much more quickly.  We have had no digestive issues, unless you count more solid poops (or as my husband said, "It looks like cake frosting!"  Add your own disgusted tone to really get the feeling of his statement!)  So, good luck to you all!!!
Kate,

Offline Jayri

« Reply #232 on: August 24, 2005, 01:51:00 am »
Well it seems like everyone is doing well. Riley rolled on her belly again today, maybe her memory came back :D
To all who are wondering, dh and I have decided that in a couple of years we will try our best to move to australia, things don't seem like a good fit where we are, and the canadian winters are so beyond making me mad. We have friends who live in and around Coolum Beach. So that is the plan.
Jo I am so glad that Riley wasn't the only one having a few problems with her settling and napping.
Bianca I do think that Jay is going through a developmental stage, I never thought of it before, only growth spurts came to mind. He is a gem with Riley, loves to try to help, but I have always been reluctant to it as I didn't want to seem like that is what I expected of him IYKWIM. He has started to try to put two or three words together lately.
Anyone have any hints on tantrums, I know it is good for him to get it out, but it seems  at times like nothing will work, time outs, talking , nothing.
He is also especially hard to put to bed, screams when he realizes wht is going on, even with a wind down. Dh and I are looking for a babysitter so I can go back to work in the next few months, and I am scared that his tantrums will scare people away.
I forget who said to mix Riley's cereal with ebm, I will try that tomorrow, for some reason it never dawned on me.
Must go for now, bedtime is screaming my name.
Take care everyone.
[img=http://www.snugglepie.com/ezb/158880.png]http://www.snugglepie.com/ezb/158880.png[/img]

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

« Reply #233 on: August 24, 2005, 05:17:16 am »
Judy, I'm chuckling at you feeding both girls while surfing the net!  :D  8)   Do you still use your feeding pillow thingy?  Do they get distracted with each other?

Danielle is definitely taking longer to feed (considering she was a 5min feeder as a newborn) and will feed for 25mins a few times a day - I think she's pacifying a bit and it's generally when I'm lying down with her and I'm reading a book and get distracted - I take her off and there's generally no milk left.

She decided to roll from her back to front today - I almost missed it though and has also started to pull her knees under her when doing tummy time.  We've definitely settled into one night feed only (still don't do the DF though) so been feeling a bit more rested in the last few days.

Offline Arwyn's mom

• Showing Appreciation 15
  • Arwyn -- April 5th, 2005
« Reply #234 on: August 24, 2005, 05:51:36 am »
All this exciting news! I didn't visit this site for 3 days and there are three pages of great updates! I love hearing what other little ones are doing.

We had a little meltdown on Friday. I suddenly felt as if I were missing out on Arwyn's infancy and not taking every moment to enjoy her. I felt as if I were simply moving from E to A to S and then starting all over again. In my haste and lack of good judgement, I decided to let her stay up if she woke up from her naps after 45 minutes. Up until Friday, I had been putting her back down, usually with a lot of work, upwards of 25 minutes of pat/shush or pu/pd.

As a result, Arwyn had a meltdown through the night. She woke up every 1.5 hours, just crying her head off and was very difficult to settle. This just made me feel worse as I knew it was because she was too overtired.

So, anyways, I'm just learning to enjoy her awake times and that putting her down for longer naps is good for her. Weird... I don't know why I suddenly felt that I was missing her "growing up". Hormones?

Wow! I can't believe how many little ones are rolling from tummy to back! My little one rolled from back to tummy for the first time last Monday... and has rolled from tummy to back (I think accidently) on Saturday (after the meltdown).

Judy -- At times, Arwyn will stay on my breast forever as well. I think she pacifies and I usually have to take her off. Mainly it is because I am not paying attention or have fallen asleep. :oops: She doesn't usually seem upset or anything when I take her off, just continues on...

Sorry about the long post, I just needed to vent about our little meltdown!
Ankie
Burnaby, B.C. Canada

Offline BiancaB

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • http://www.tashanorpark.com
« Reply #235 on: August 24, 2005, 11:36:25 am »
This sure is a busy board :)
Jo-Just one thing from my own experience with my touchy/spirited ds. He always seemed to need to go down for first nap earlier than the other naps ie he'd wake at 7 and I'd put him down arond 8:30, it took him ages before he could handle 2hrs uptime---he just took in so much information while he was awake, I used to miss his tired window all the time and he would become overstimulated extremely quickly.
 It is so interesting to me how different little Si is---her nature is the exact opposite so far..I was always slightly jealous of these Mum's who had babies that would be just lying there in the pram one minute looking all around and then fast asleep the next, no fuss!! Now I have one!! Although having a touchy first taught me SSSOOOO much about being a Mum and tuning in to your babies body language.
But little Grumpy/Touchys do need high maintenance that is for sure- as a toddler ds is such a smart and sensitive/loving boy.
  I sure wouldn't change a thing--even the hours of hanging over his crib doing patshhh pu/pd with a lot of tears mainly from me :shock:  Hang in there and like your doing embrace his unique nature, he will give you so much love back in the long run :D
Naomi-About tantrums, I avoid them when possible by choices, choices, choices ie You can pull the plug(bath ending :shock: ) or Mummy can?
Do you want to walk to the car or will you need help??(not coming when asked :shock: ) But in my case it a little easier for us all I think, because Ky is ahead in the talking department(already learning to read) so this has helped a great deal because he is able to tell me what he wants etc so avoids frustration-
 There are some great tips on the toddler board about tantrums etc has helped me heaps. I also personally love the techniques in a book called Love and Logic you may have heard of already.
 I also know what your saying about making Jason to much of a caretaker with Riley and I totally agree, I found Ky just loves to be involved though and doesn't seem to resent it at all so far. I"m careful to keep it fun and not ask him to entertain her or watch her for me..but if he is playing and talking to her I let him know that she loves it...because she can't say it of course :wink: He was playing dress up the other day and I came in to discover Sienna covered in socks and scarves--she was a princess :D Its so gorgeous to hear her crack up giggling at him!
Take care Bianca :D
Bianca{Ky and Sienna}

Kyan Scott 21-05-03

Sienna Charlize 21-03-05

Offline Peach

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #236 on: August 24, 2005, 13:13:11 pm »
Jo - I have a touchy grump as well who never really cracks a smile around anyone other than dh and I (and sometimes we practically have to put on a three ring circus to get one!)  MIL & FIL are ALWAYS saying, "What's wrong with this kid?  She never smiles or what?"  And they say it EVERY SINGLE TIME they see her....even if only 15 minutes have passed!! :evil:  I try not to let it get to me, but as a new mom I sometimes find that the comments stick in my head and make me worry.  Is this seriousness normal for touchy/grumpies?

(Maybe I should tell them she's teething!! :lol: )

Kara

Offline Carter'sMama

• Showing Appreciation 45
  • Windsor, Canada
« Reply #237 on: August 24, 2005, 13:14:08 pm »
Hello All!

This definitely is a busy board!!!  Everything is going pretty well here except ... last night for the first time since 3 month growth spurt, Carter woke up screaming at 1:15am.  I assume he woke up screaming because when I woke up he was already screaming.  Although I think I am getting better at sleeping and not listening to every noise he makes from his room!  I was exhausted and I just fed him without even trying to get him back to sleep.  Maybe a mistake on my part but I was tired   :oops:   He took a good feed and then fell asleep.  Then he got up at 6:00am but he wasn't crying so I left him in his crib until 7:15.  I don't know if it is another growth spurt (when do they have another one after 3 months??), or if he just needs more food (as in a second meal of solids).  Are any other 5 month olds on solids twice a day?   I think it is too early for him to be on solids once a day but he seems to be ok with them.

That is a good idea to get a high chair for practice!!!  We put Carter in his while we ate dinner (he used to just cry in his infant seat).  I think he loves it because he can see what is going on.  He gets very excited every time we put him in it now and he will sit there for up to half an hour and play with his toy.  I only put him in it while I prep his cereal or while we eat dinner so he doesn't get tired of it!

Peach - I notice you are from Ontario, what part?  It would be nice to have other March/April babies around!!!

I hope everyone has a great day!
"You may be one person in the world but you may be the world to one person"
Cathy - Mama to:
Carter Luke - March 29, 2005
Mason Henry - April 7, 2007
Daphne Catherine Grace - May 30, 2010

Offline Jayri

« Reply #238 on: August 24, 2005, 18:56:51 pm »
I am starting to think that Riley was a little ahead of other dc's.
She has always fed for no more than 10 mins, at first I was worried, but then I thought that if she is happy and contenet and going between feeds for a good length, she is fine.
I switched her to oatmeal cereal today, I tried the rice with bm, still didn't like it very much, so I tried oatmeal, seemed to be liked a little better.
She does fairly well with it, a couple of spoonfulls before a feed, then she tops up bf. She seems more content and satisfied with having a little cereal.
Not sure if I want to do a df anymore. Lately she has been waking at around 3 after her 11pm df. Could she be going through a spurt or could the df not be effective. She used to go to 5 sometimes even 6am with an 11pm df.
Apart from that we are all good here.
Jay is kinda responding to disapline a bit better, the time out chair seems to be hitting home with him. If he gets too worked up I send him to his room until he calms right down.

Gotta run, kids are playing.

Offline james030405

• Showing Appreciation 22
  • James' birthday is 3rd April 2005
« Reply #239 on: August 25, 2005, 04:03:58 am »
G'day everyone,

Well just in the last couple of days, James has become more active than ever.  We have hardwood floors in our house, and i use to be able to put him on a soft rug and he would play with his toys.  Now he has worked out how to get off the rug and onto the floor.  He then slides around on his belly (I always put an all-in-one suit on under his clothes instead of a singlet) so his belly isn't straight on the floor.  One minute he is in one place and the next he is over the other side of the room :lol:   I think I will have to look at starting solids in the next few weeks as he is getting more active.  He will be 5 mths in about a week and a half so maybewill try then.  Everyone elses 5mth dc seem to be coping well with solids.  My grandfather has a gluten intolerance so I am not sure what type of cereal to start with.  I have bought rice but may have to ask child health nurse.  Anyone else in this situation? 

Other than that and his constant chattering we are doing well. I am also not sure about the dream feed.  For about 2 weeks he was waking between 1 and 3am for a feed whether or not I dfed him. Was starting to get worried about habitual waking. :?   Last night I dreamfed at 10pm and then he woke at 12:30pm for a feed.  He then slept till 7am but played in his cot till 8am (even then I had to get him up).

Naps are going well.  I have extended his awake time to 2.5hrs and heis going down much better.  The last couple of nights I have been giving him his last feed about half and hour before going to bed (usually around 6:30pm for 7pm bedtime) and he is also going down much better.  having a full tummy helps. 

Sorry for the short story.  Glad to see everyone is going well.

Lisa - mum to James
[url=http://lilypie.com][/url]