EAT > Eating For Toddlers

Tips for encouraging veggies

<< < (2/13) > >>

springhillmom:
I mix veggies with cottage cheese and she loves it.

Broccoli, peas, carrots, squash, sweet potato...she'll tolerate all these plain but chows down on them with a little cottage cheese mixed in.

luv2savelives:
My dd has been boycotting green beans for about 3 months. Until I tried putting "Flavor All" on them.  She asks for "green beans with sprinkle" all the time now. Works great on corn too. She likes to "help" sprinkle them. I have also found that letting her "help" make things gets her excited to eat them. I let her help me put fish on the tray to bake, etc and she of course won't pass up what she has made "all by herself". I second the orange applesauce idea. Works for us too as long as there is more applesauce than carrots so she doesn't taste them as much.

Lilah'sMommy:
This one works with my DD, but she loves pasta and tomato products, so it may not work for everyone.

Make "sneaky veggie" sauce: Grate carrots and zucchini on the smallest grater holes.  Chop fresh spinach as small as you can.  Saute all in a little olive oil (add a little mince garlic if your DC likes it; mine loves it).  Add tomato sauce and a little oregano.  Simmer for about 10 minutes or so.  You can serve it like this, or be really sneaky and puree it in the blender to make the veggie pieces even smaller.  Toss with a pasta that holds a lot of sauce, like shells or rotelle.  Sprinkle with parmesan.  My DD loves it.

You can also make mini pizzas with pita or just regular bread: Spread on the sauce, then top with cheese.  Melt under the broiler.

I made a big batch of this sauce and froze it in ice cube trays so I can have a toddler-sized portion ready for a quick meal.

I also find that any time we are eating veggies (which is often, since we're vegetarians), DD will always try what we're having.  She doesn't necessarily eat much, but she learns that veggies are tasty and Mom and Dad love them!

GatorGirl:
Man you guys we really struggle with the veggies.  DD is the pickiest eater I have ever seen, no meat, barely any veggies, limited fruit.  All she wants is carbs, carbs, and more carbs..........I am going to try the sauce thing -- thanks!

Lynda

Meg's Mom:
This worked on 2nd try w/ dd who eats no ff veg...

1 tbs can corn
1 tbs can carrot
1/2 tbs tomato paste
sautee all olive oil and as a bit of garlic...loved it!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version