Author Topic: any non-egg, non-dairy, non-sugar cookie recipe?  (Read 3549 times)

Offline Myles

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
any non-egg, non-dairy, non-sugar cookie recipe?
« on: May 14, 2005, 17:55:12 pm »
Hi,

Myles is only 8 months, so no egg or dairy for him. We also don't want to give him refined sugar til he's at least one. Anybody have any cookie recipes w/out these things?

Thanks,
  Andrea

Offline carolyn

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 67
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 18:57:51 pm »
Here is a recipe I found at http://cookie.allrecipes.com/az/HealthyBanana.asp
It looks perfect for the age of your child. You could probably leave out the dates if you are afraid they are a choking hazard. I might even try it myself today. :D

Healthy Banana Cookies

* 3 ripe bananas
    * 2 cups rolled oats
    * 1 cup dates, pitted and chopped
    * 1/3 cup vegetable oil
    * 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
   2. In a large bowl, mash the bananas. Stir in oats, dates, oil, and vanilla. Mix well, and allow to sit for 15 minutes. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
   3. Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until lightly brown.
carolyn
John's mommy :-)

Offline carolyn

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 20:41:13 pm »
I made some.  They aren't too bad. They cooked faster than the recipe says so you have to keep an eye on them.  I substituted raisons for the dates, but I think you can do without either if you want. Don't expect a sweet cookie; all of the sweetness comes from the bananas.  I think they could use a chocolate dip.  :wink:

I think it would be ok if Myles can chew a little bit.  They are not cakey or soft. They are chewy and definatley don't melt in your mouth. 

If you don't want to try these there are several things you can use for substitutes in regular cookie recipes.

Dairy: Use a non-dairy margerine or vegetable shortening instead of butter. 

Eggs: Use a replacement product like Ener-G.  There is a thread with a lot of information on the food allergy board. I think the thread name is something like "Egg White Allergy"

Sugar: I don't know what to tell you here. You may have to hunt down an unrefined sugar.  I don't think you can give babies sugar replacements like Equal and Nutrasweet. You might be able to give them Splenda. Splenda is a 1:1 substitution for sugar, so it is easy.
carolyn

Offline Gareth - Harvey & Theo's Dad

• Mac Daddy
  • Showing Appreciation 218
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2005, 07:07:19 am »
Quote from: carolyn
I don't think you can give babies sugar replacements like Equal and Nutrasweet. You might be able to give them Splenda. Splenda is a 1:1 substitution for sugar, so it is easy.

I wouldn't give artificial sweeteners to a baby either.  I know over here that it's illegal to market artificial sweeteners to children under 5.
Gareth

Harvey - 18 Nov 2003

Theo - 24 Dec 2005

Offline carolyn

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2005, 12:44:37 pm »
You can get turbinado sugar, which is partially refined but without chemicals.   Turbinado still retains about 2/3 of the original cane juice in it.  Sugar in the Raw is one brand I see at mainstream grocers here.  I looked at its website; it says it is unrefined.  It can be used anywhere white sugar is and in the same quantities.
carolyn

Offline Oakley's Mom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • http://groups.msn.com/TheCanucksOverseas/_whatsnew.msnw
splenda
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 05:56:58 am »
I have no idea how it applies to babies, but consider this:

During pregnancy, Splenda is the only safe sweetner to use, as it is never absorbed into your system.  It only helps out your tastebuds, then takes the fast train through and you pee it out.  Or at least that's what THIS year's research says... we'll see if the story changes in 5 years?  ya never know...
Alana