Author Topic: US and UK Food Brands for Allergies  (Read 3936 times)

Offline Livvismum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
US and UK Food Brands for Allergies
« on: May 27, 2005, 19:39:20 pm »
Thought it may be helpful to list foods that we all use for whatever allergy we are dealing with. If we use the following abbreviations (any suggestions welcomed if I miss something) against any items after listing their brand name and then list where you normally buy from it may make shopping easier for other/new parents dealing with food allergies.

DF - Dairy Free
SF - Soya Free
EF - Egg Free
WF - Wheat Free
PF - Peanut free
TF - treenut free
FF - fish free
CF - Crustacean shellfish free

I've listed the top 8 allergens as we could go on forever and the others are more obvious and less likely to be "hidden" in food. I haven't listed the obvious things eg there's not likely to be fish in bread! but if you do come across a product that could have a possible allergen in to others please let people know.
* If you use the above headings to start with and we'll keep adding headings and items

ALWAYS REMEMBER TO CHECK LABELS BEFORE GOING ON ANYONES RECCOMMENDATION. ALL ITEMS ARE GIVEN IN GOOD FAITH.

United States:

Bread, Baked Goods and Morning Goods
Rice Dream brand rice milk, "ice cream" in several flavors including strawberry, vanilla, orange cream (Note: their label now reads "this item may contain traces of milk because it was produced on the same equipment that processes milk" but with an intolerance *not allergy* I have not had a problem with this) DF, SF

Iron Kids bread, some Rotella's brand breads are ok - DF, SF

Bisquick - DF, SF

Plain and Honey Nut Cheerios, Rice Chex, Life and Cinn Life, Kix Cereals - DF, SF

Fats, Oils, ingredients & Kitchen Cupboard
Enjoy life choc chips - Healthway Natural Foods DF, SF

Butter substitutes-Fleishmans Light, Fleishmans Unsalted, Mazola Unsalted (most margarines contain WHEY so be very careful when reading labels, these brands can be hard to find) - DF, SF

Swansons Natural Goodness Chicken, Vegetable, and beef broths - DF, SF

Campbells Tomato Soup - DF, SF

Treats
Teddy Grahams cookies in Chocolate Chip, Honey, Cinnamon - DF, SF

Ghiradelli and Guittard semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips - DF, SF

Newman's Own sweet dark, sweet dark orange, expresso chocolate bars - DF, SF

Duncan Hines cake mixes and can frostings, check labels as several are DF, SF

Poptarts - most fruit flavored and brown sugar are M/SF

Hyvee brand devil's food and yellow cake mixes are DF (although they now say made on shared equipment)

Deserts:

United Kingdom (UK)

Bread, Baked Goods and Morning Goods
M&S Count on Us Soft White Bloomer - DF, SF - M&S
Tesco Light Rye Bread - DF, SF - Tesco Extra
Terance Stamp Sunflower Bread - DF, SF, WF - Sainsburys, Tescos

Fats, Oils and ingredients
Pure Sunflower Spread (yellow tub) - DF, SF - Tescos, Asda, Holland and Barrett
Avacado Oil - DF, SF - Tescos Extra
Florentino Basil Pesto - DF, NF, WF (contains onion) - Asda
Florentino Red Pesto, DF, NF, WF (contains tomato and onion) - Asda

Treats
Terrance Stamp Chocolate - DF, SF - don't know, Adsa just stopped stocking
Organix goodies anilmal shaped biscuits-DF, SF, EF, PF(produced in a factory that makes food containing nuts), TF(produced in a factory that makes food containingnuts), FF, CF

Deserts
First Glace Ice Cream - DF, SF, EF

« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 23:45:41 pm by Mydreamcametrue »

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: US and UK Food Brands for Allergies
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 23:46:46 pm »
Thanks to fifibobandmore:

I have to check the labels for additives so I think AF which has popped up on a few of my packages means Additive Free. All Additives affect my DS#1 asthma so for him everything has to be made in house including his favourite meal at the moment of chicken nuggets, corn on the cob and spicy potatoe wedges
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline Jimbob

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: US and UK Food Brands for Allergies
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 20:01:33 pm »
The orgran range is very good for multiple food allergies. It is an australian brand but is available in the UK. Some supermarkets stock a limited range but we have a vegan store in Manchester that stocks a wide range of these products.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker