Author Topic: canned tuna?  (Read 7352 times)

Offline phoebesmum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
canned tuna?
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2005, 18:42:19 pm »
Tuna pasta bake is my dd's favourite!

Put cooked pasta in an ovenproof dish and add cooked brocolli and any other veg you fancy, one can of chopped tomatoes and sprinkle with grated cheese
Cook in oven at 180c for about 20 mins then blend as appropriate for your lo's age.

Really easy and tasty for adults too!

Offline evanskimberley

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 118
  • Kent, GB
canned tuna?
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2005, 08:15:10 am »
I've just checked out that website and found it very interesting, although confusing.
I referred to a different page for fish to avoid during pregnancy, I couldn't find one specifically for babies, so thought this was the nearest thing. It said that pregnant women should only eat cod, pollock and canned tuna once a month. That seems very sensitive!!!

Does anyone know if that is American fish, is the stuff I buy in GB any better? I know I ate cod and tuna each once a week during pregancy and DD has it about that frequently now.

Anyone got any advice?
Kimberley

Offline shir_shir

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
canned tuna?
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2005, 07:23:53 am »
he likes to eat it like that. fresh.
my littel Tal

Offline klt

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
canned tuna?
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2005, 17:47:04 pm »
Help!  I am freaking out as I just read this post and thought: I'll double check the ingredients on the tuna I;ve been giving dd this week.  I thought it wasok if it said it was in water not brine but the ingredients say tuna, water, SALT  :shock: so now I feel terrible - have I damaged her kidneys, ruined her tastebuds or something like that?   PLease help I feel like such an idiot I have been trying to be so careful with what she eats and then I do this  :oops:

Offline amheusser

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • West Michigan
    • Logos Academy
canned tuna?
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2005, 19:14:52 pm »
Kit - I'm sure it's fine.  I was surprised yesterday to read that my frozen peas contain salt - no salt was the reason why I buy frozen rather than canned!  :x    Unless you've been giving her a full can of salty tuna 3x a day, you haven't done any damage.  You can try to read more carefully in the future, but it's not a big deal, especially in a baby-sized serving.
Aubrey
-------------------------------

Offline micah'smom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
    • http://www.xanga.com/mrskohng
Re: canned tuna?
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2006, 16:59:10 pm »
resurrecting an old thread - sounds like GB and US regulations may be different on canned tuna?? recently there's been a whole hoopla about how the USFDA is totally not regulating the amt of mercury in canned tuna. there are most likely more amts than we thought, even the chunk light - depending on what kind of tuna they use (yellow or skipjack), info not found on the can, so you have no idea. so my gut instinct is that if you're from the U.S., to avoid it alltogether until your lo is older.
selena, mom to micah 4/14/05

Offline Izzy-B's mommy

• Showing Appreciation 31
    • http://www.thinline.ca
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2006, 19:42:54 pm »
What about if your from canada?  Do we eat the same tuna as the states I wonder???

Offline micah'smom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
    • http://www.xanga.com/mrskohng
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2006, 20:42:57 pm »
izzyb'smomma, good question? i have no idea...but do you have the same brands? that may be a better indicator (starkist, etc).

here's the article i read about it last month:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0512310211dec31,1,2450043.story

basically some cans labelled "light tuna" are made with yellowfin tuna, a species that have as much mercury as albacore. the article lists some brands that use those.
selena, mom to micah 4/14/05