Author Topic: any april/may 05 moms want to chat?  (Read 64959 times)

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
any april/may 05 moms want to chat?
« Reply #240 on: September 06, 2005, 03:54:38 am »
Kathy sounds like you are doing great & to be honest, if you work on the going down to sleep at the start of the night/naps, deal with the resettling later.
There is a wonderful lady called Teddy, who posts mostly Toddler discipline stuff, but her lo is a little older than Aiden & she used to post lots for the sleeping boards & she always said to people it's how they go down at the start of the night tha is important at first & as they master that, you help them along with the resettling. As long as you didn't rock Matthew to completely to sleep & he was drowsy when you put him back in... I say well done girl... do it again & when the naps & bed time are downpat, you might find, you don't have to worry about it or you have the energy to do PU/PD.
My other things is, when you are doing something like PU/PD & your lo's get "over stimulated & cranky" they probably do need that extra feed, so offer it, don't get so caught up in "I didn't feed you for a week, why do you want it now" While I say Liam sleeps 7.30 -4/5, there is almost always one night a week, like last night, where he wants a feed at 2 or 3 & then does through to 6/7, don't know why just the way it is.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

mommytsa

« Reply #241 on: September 06, 2005, 03:58:29 am »
Kathy--It sounds like you're coming around the bend.  The late nap is the hardest for us too.   Today DS basically mantra cried for 40 minutes (never got really upset, just mantra cry) and we got him up after trying half-heartedly to pu/pd.  I was tired, he wasn't really upset, and I was hoping if I just let him fuss he'd settle himself down.  He almost did once or twice, and I settled him twice, but he just didn't want to give in and sleep. 

I'm bracing for a relaspe, and we'll see how well it goes with DH tomorrow while I'm at work, but I feel like at least we know it's working.

Good luck and have a great week!

Offline mommycarrie

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • My boys!!
« Reply #242 on: September 06, 2005, 04:59:48 am »
I had DS on the 3rd of May so we're real close.  just wanted to send a quicky....have to go dreamfeed DS.  I'm in for chats...whatnot.  I'll have more time to reply tomorrow.

Later,
carrie

Offline jjstar

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
    • http://www.leavingalegacyretreats.com
« Reply #243 on: September 06, 2005, 14:01:29 pm »
Sounds like everyone is doing a little adjusting these days!

We've had much better days & nights lately. LO isn't back to sleeping through the night but he isn't staying up for hours at a time so I'm okay with a little night waking. He also didn't wake before his DF last night and went right back to sleep after eating! I was so excited!

I have a clarification question about PUPD...do you put down on a mantra cry? Or does it depend on the body language that goes with it? Sometimes I think we should and then others not. Wasn't sure what the majority thought about that one.

Well we go in for the 4 month well baby visit on friday. Lots of shots. I'm afraid our whole weekend is going to be shot. Maybe I should have scheduled it earlier in the week?!

Well today is the first day that the sitter is coming to the house. I'm not planning to really do anything just have her observe me. We'll see how it goes!

Hope everyone had a good weekend!
Jill, proud mother to Jameson born 05.05.05,
touchy/textbook baby!

Offline Mom2X&F&V

• Love 2B a mommy
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • They are huge now!!!
« Reply #244 on: September 06, 2005, 14:12:32 pm »
Hi... my dd was born May 30... I just notice your chat forum... I think I need to catch up with past days... just wanted to get into the forum and to know me... Hi to everyone.....

Offline jjstar

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #245 on: September 06, 2005, 14:16:06 pm »
Welcome Carrie & Daniela!
touchy/textbook baby!

Offline cambeladamom

• Showing Appreciation 0
hello
« Reply #246 on: September 06, 2005, 15:13:42 pm »
we are back from a long weekend with the inlaws, and my house desparately needs cleaned and laundry needs done...but instead i am posting a message:) just wanted to say HANG IN THERE to kathy and theresa. you will make it. i am so impressed with your persistence. it will pay off. keep us posted. i hope you both are having good days!
maria
Maria--mom to
Cambel 5/1/05 and Ada 4/25/08

Offline krice

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #247 on: September 06, 2005, 21:41:21 pm »
Welcome Carrie and Daniela.  This forum has been a great help to me - I hope you get loads of tips and suggestions from it too!  Be sure to fill us in on how your LO's are doing.

Jill (jjstar) - re: to PD on mantra cry or not???  My LO will go from his hysterical cry, to quiet when I pick him up, and then only will start the mantra when I lay him down.  I would suggest that if your DS is doing the mantra in your arms to lay him down and see if the mantra continues.  If it escalates back up into the frantic cry, pick him up.  If not, give him a chance to settle himself.  Other moms agree???  I have noticed that when we started I was too quick to pick DS up - he seems to need to let out a few BIG cries and just when I think I need to pick him up, he goes out like a light.

Jill, we also have our shots on Thursday - I am sooo not ready for it.  This week with the PU/PD has taken its toll on me.  I am EXHAUSTED.  To think that this may throw Matthew out of wack even more makes me cringe . . . .

Maria (Cambel's Mom) thanks for the words of encouragement.  It's been a tough/challenging while and I have never had such big bags under my eyes.  Actually, that's not true, but it sure feels like it!!!!!

Theresa (MommyTSA) - keep letting me know how your LO is making out with the PU/PD.  Right now you are my guide for what to expect.  I keep reading DH your posts . . . it keeps us going.  Thanks!

I will post a Day 4 update tonght - I've been going it alone all day today (boy I sure miss having DH around to spell me off).

Later!
Cheers,

Kathy
Mom to Matthew (05-06-05)

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #248 on: September 06, 2005, 23:16:27 pm »
We had an interesting night last night... bath time - pop Liam in the bath  while dh is getting Aiden undressed... then suddenly notice a big yellow floater or 2... Liam poo's once a week or so & they are 'toothpaste like- but yellow, anyway whisk him out, pass to dh & I jump in the shower with him, while dh undresses Aiden, then hand Liam to dh & I shower Aiden.
Then put Liam to bed... Liam loved the shower, but a difficult juggle, so not sure we will repeat it too often.
Then all quiet until 1am Liam wakes up??? the night before he woke at 2am & I had forgotten to put the heater on, so he was cold, but last night??? Anyway as he consistently goes from bedtime to 3/4/5, I wasn't going to feed him, so I spent 15mins & resettled him, thinking ok he'll sleep till about 3am... no at 3.30 Aiden started chatting away & then I'm back off to sleep & it's 6am & he woke up. So he just was awake enough at 1am to want to party... I think I need to up the stimulation in the day time.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

mommytsa

« Reply #249 on: September 07, 2005, 01:53:47 am »
Welcome to Carrie and Daniela!  The more  the merrier!

Jill, sometimes I put down on the mantra cry sometimes not.  DS can mantra cry for hours, so ifhe's been going at it for a while, I pick him up and calm him to sort of switch his mind into sleep mode.

Kathy, I'm so glad it's been helpful for you!  I knoe that throughout this whole thing I've been worried that I was doing it right and was going to mess DS up even more.  I don't have any suggestions about the shots messing this up too, because I don't have ours until next Friday.  I can tell you though, that today we seem to be having a little regression.  It's not as bad as it was the first day or two, but it's been taking 20-30 minutes to put him down and he's only been sleeping an hour instead of two, and I haven't been really trying to extend the naps that hard.  I figure one thing at a time.  First get him to sleep without the paci on his own, then worry about the length of the naps.  It's probably not the right thing, but it makes sense to me.  I guess we'll see how I feel about it in a few days. 

Well, it's time for bath and bed.  Talk to you ladies later!

Offline Jamom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #250 on: September 07, 2005, 02:52:47 am »
Hi all.  Wow, I really had to do a lot of reading to catch up on all the activity going on.  I can't reply to everyone but wanted to tell all of you who are working on PU/PD to hang in there and that I am keeping my fingers crossed for you!!!  :)

Re: the mantra cry --- Jake does this-- especially if I miss his cues.  I have found that with JAke, it's best to leave him be as he needs to do it.  If I go in and PU, he gets worked up.  So, unless he's been doing it for a long time, I just let him go and he usually settles fairly quickly.  I think in Tracy's new book it says not to PU if mantra cry-- not sure, so if you have it, may want to double check.

Kate-- wow, I don't know how you do it with 2 -- I'm still trying to figure out 1!!!

As for the 4 mo. shots -- Jake had his last week and I actually thought he was a little better than after his 2 mo. shot.  Maybe I just thought this because the doc said that he should do better with the 4 mo than the 2 mo. but it seemed like he was OK. He was a little fussier and I did some accidentaly parenting  :oops: to get him to sleep once or twice because he was running a slight fever and a little out of sorts but we were back on track after one day.  So, good luck to all of you whose lo's have to get them this week!  Don't you just hate those darn shots?!?!? I always feel so bad for Jake.  He'll be smiling and giggling and then here come the shots... poor guy, doesn't even know they are coming.

As for us-- back to work is still going Ok -- mainly because the project I was working on before leave went away suddenly so I have been been able to leave very early every day that I've been back so far.  This has made the transition easier on me.  Today, we had the first day at daycare.  The daycare provider followed our routine and Jake even took 2 good naps at daycare and then a catnap at home.  I was so surprised she got him to sleep and stay asleep because at home he sleeps in a dark room and it's quiet but at daycare he sleeps in a Pak N' Play while all the other children are playing.  Can't believe she got him to sleep and she even put him down drowsy but awake.   :shock:  He was giggling and smiling when I picked him up, which made me feel so good.  :D

Andrea -- are you back at work yet??? Big Hugs to you! I hope it is going well -- or as well as can be expected.

OK-- sorry so long but I have missed replying to so many of your posts and hope you and your lo's are all doing well.
Erin

Mom to Jacob 05/02/05 and Sophia 8/12/07

Offline krice

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #251 on: September 07, 2005, 04:34:25 am »
Day 4 PU/PD and Paci weaning

Well, yesterday I suspected habitual waking at the 2:30am time slot- of course I was wrong. 

This time DS woke at 1:10AM.  Wasn't fully awake, but had his swaddle all messed up so I reswaddled and held him again for 20 minutes.

4:07am hungar cry - fed DS a full 8oz, changed and reswaddled and left the room.  He sniffled, moved about, sucked his fingers and was generally restless for a little over 30 minutes.  So I went back in laid my hand on him and he drifted off.

8:30am NO PU/PD!!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol: From the moment I lay Matthew in the crib to the time that he fell asleep was 12 minutes.  (I always lay on the floor and peek to see how he is doing).  The downside was he only lasted for a 45 minute cycle. :( I thought I'd use this as an opportunity to get DS back on schedule.  So I din't attempt to try and put him back down - It kind of worked.

10:30am Matthew displayed all of the cues for sleeping but I was in a dilemma . .. we had a doctors appointment at 11:20 - I knew I couldn't get in a 45 minute cycle so I didn't put him down.  I put him in his carseat and covered him up - he was fairly quiet but would kick his feet every now and then so I knew he wasn't asleep.  I was nervous that he would be cranky and overtired for the doctor but he was amazing.  Didn't cry when he was stripped naked and put on the scale, poked and prodded.  He smiled and laughed the entire time.  A much different case from the last time we were in.

He fell asleep on the drive home and so I left him in his carseat.  I was praying that I would get more than 1 45 minute cycle in . . .didn't happen.

12:40pmIt took 38 minutes to put him back down BUT only 1 PU/PD.  I did however have to go lay my hand on him about 3 or 4 times and tell him it was "time to go night-night".

4:15pm it took 18 minutes for Matthew to go to sleep.  No PU/PD was necessary, just had to lay my hand on him once or twice and help get his fingers back in his mouth.

7:55pm  THE BEST YET!!!! :P  :P  :P We had an amazing wind down.  Matthew and I lay on the floor, DH read us a story using a whisper voice, lots of finger sucking and trying to roll from back to front. . . .but it was very mellow.  We lay there smiling at each other and lots of rubs and pats. I was getting nervous because DS wasn't showing any sleepy signs, so made a command decision to put him into his crib.  We walked out of the room and that's been our night.  NO PU/PD and NO need to soothe - just walked out and left the room !!!

One thing I have learned out about my DS is if I lay him down on his tummy he will scoot around the crib - he has back slept since day 1.  It has been a challenge since we have left one arm unswaddled.  If he is on his back it will flail all about.  I've tried swaddling it partially in, but he always manages to free his arm. 

SOOOOO . . . here's what I do. . . .when I swaddle Matthew with one arm out, I brace the free arm bent towards his mouth and stick him right against his bumper pads (I have very thick and almost hard pads - not gushy ones) and place a rolled up towel along the other side of him.  He can't roll away to free his arm.  This provides the control for when his arm begins to flail.  It has worked really well for us.

Kate - I think I said I believed Matthew wasn't going through a growth spurt, but I think he proved me wrong (again).  At the doctor today he had grown a full inch in 5 days!!!!  Every week I take him into a health clinic for
a weight and measurement check - at the office today I said that they must have made a mistake, but sure enough when they measured again  he was up a whole inch!

Theresa - I'm expecting a relapse either tomorrow or the next day.  Overall, I'm so pleased to see how far we've come.  DH and I used to hold him down, try to hold the paci in, cover his eyes, and stop him from turning his head side to side.  What a difference AND on top of things, NO PACI!!!!! :lol:  :lol:

I hope everyone else is doing well.  Please keep us posted.
Cheers,

Kathy
Mom to Matthew (05-06-05)

s_olano00

« Reply #252 on: September 07, 2005, 07:46:44 am »
So, we jumped into the PU/PD train 2 nights ago, and the first night it took 2 hours of hysterical crying to go to sleep. Yesterday during the day, she would go to sleep quite easily (20 mins), but she had pretty bad naps (1/2 hour or so) and I had to shh/pat to get her down to sleep for another 1/2 hour or so.

BUT the night sleep was way better. It only took me about 10 mins of shh/pat and putting my hand on top of her to get her settled. I mean, from +1 hour that took me before to 10 mins and sleeping in her crib, it's a great improvement for all of us!

She woke up asking for her dream feed at 10pm and after that, she woke up at 12.30 (put her back to sleep in 20 mins), 1AM (fed her, only had about 4oz and changed her nappy), 3AM (put her back to sleep), 4AM (fed her, took 6 oz) and 6.45 AM

What is this??? I just cannot believe she wants to eat every 2 hours... I'm not buying it... maybe, as Kate said in one of her posts, she needs more calories during the day, but honestly, I don't know how to make her eat more. Normally day feeds are a struggle since she is more interested in anything else but eating. Any suggestions?

About whether to PU during mantra cries - the book says NOT to PU. I don't PU since I know DD pretty well and that's her way of "letting go", but if she would do it for more than 10 mins, I would definetly pick her up.

Wish me luck. We're going today to the Ped because DD and I have a cold and DD has a sore throat and need some medication. Also, since the formula I had is in the lost suitcase, I have to ask from the Doc for a new prescription (in this country is very unsual for a Mom to feed formula to her baby before 6 months) so I have to practically beg the Doc to give it to me and put up with the dirty looks at the pharmacy when I buy it. I don't like to put up with that, but my nipples are still sore from last week + bfeeding her during the trip and the cream that I got to heal them is -surprise, surprise - also in he lost suitcase...

We will only have the 4 months shots next week, but as a consolation to the ones that will have it this week, I've heard form several people that the 4 month ones are not that bad...

I still have plenty on comments, but I don't want this post to be too long.

Well, gotta go... I have to get ready for the Doc.

Good luck to the ones doing PU/PD and I wish a good day (or night, depending on which part of the world you are) to everyone!!

Offline jjstar

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #253 on: September 07, 2005, 16:29:01 pm »
Kathy it sounds like things are going well for you guys! Hope it continues that way for you!!

About my question about the mantra cry...I was asking if you PD on a mantra. I also don't PU on mantra because Jameson has to do a little of that right before he goes out completely. I'm guessing the PD depends on more than just the type of cry.

Well today at bible study he staying in the nursery the entire time. All the other times I've had to go get him because he has been hysterically crying. Maybe he is getting a little more independent in his little body?!
touchy/textbook baby!

Offline mommycarrie

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • My boys!!
« Reply #254 on: September 07, 2005, 16:35:19 pm »
OH MY GOSH  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

When I first saw this I didn't see that there were 25 pages already.  I guess I shouldn't post when I should be saying goodnight to my pillow :oops:   I have soooooooooooooooooooooo much reading to do to catch upwith everyone.  It will be nice to share notes with mom's that have lo's the same age though.

Looking forward to catching up and joining in....(might take a few days) :wink:

Carrie