Author Topic: any april/may 05 moms want to chat?  (Read 64983 times)

Offline cambeladamom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
good morning
« Reply #300 on: September 13, 2005, 15:54:46 pm »
i am going to try to catch up here. i feel like i have missed so much:) i can't remember all the questions, or who said what, so i will just reply to what i do remember.
sylvia-i am so sorry your nipples are so sore. i went through that the first 3 months of cambel's life and it was awful. i think i had thrush too, but now spots in ds's mouth. my midwife suggested "gintian violet" --this purple dye. it helped with the burning and itching, but the pain didn't go away until ds learned to suck better. that has to be so frustrating for you. i hope you can get something figured out. i also wanted to tell you that my mom will be in hungary in january. she was very interested in the fact that i was communicating with someone who lived there. she is speaking at a retreat for women and wondered if maybe you would be interested in hooking up with her. i hope that doesn't sound strange--she was just excited about you:)
kathy-i think it was you who is wondering about the bath. we will have to switch cambel soon too as he is making a mess of my kitchen. but right now my bathroom is too small for me to kneel down beside the tub to bathe him (i can't wait to move and have a bigger bathroom). i was hoping i could wait until he can sit up in one of those "tub chairs" before i move him to the tub, but i am not sure i want to keep mopping up after each bath.
cambel is doing well. i think he is sleeping better. but he is so much more alert that if he wakes up, he'll start playing and it makes it harder for him to go back to sleep. i have also noticed that if he is overstimulated during the day, it disturbs his night sleep. this makes me nervout, b/c with the move we have to make, he is bound to get overstimulated a lot. it looks like we may have to live with my sister and her family for awhile. i guess we will just make it until we can be settled in our own place.
ds is still taking a feeding at around 4 or 5 in the am, and then i try to get him to eat again when he is up for the day around 7. i will be glad when he drops this early morning feed. but i am like you jjstar- i would rather just feed him than hear him cry.
our nap/bedtime routine is really just holding him for a couple of minutes and then swaddling one arm and giving him his blankets. he will usually be asleep pretty quickly. unless he is overstimulated, and then he will fuss for awhile and we may have to go in and resettle him.
he is not quite on a 4 easy. he can stay up for 4 hrs. but his naps aren't 2 hrs, so he ends up eating at approx. 5, 7, 10:30, 2:30, 5:30, and 7:30 (we don't df, so the cluster feeding still works for us). i guess we'll drop it when solids are established.
i am glad to read about the rolling over issues. ds rolled over (both ways) a couple of weeks ago, but hasn't seemed interested in it since. he is happier on his tummy than he used to be, but he only rolls to his side now and not all the way over. i thought maybe he wasn't normal, but it sounds like he is:)
well, that was a long post. sorry about all the detail:)
have a good day all!
maria
Maria--mom to
Cambel 5/1/05 and Ada 4/25/08

Offline jjstar

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
    • http://www.leavingalegacyretreats.com
any april/may 05 moms want to chat?
« Reply #301 on: September 13, 2005, 19:12:03 pm »
Wow I feel like I haven't posted for so long and I don't even think it has been a day?!

Comment about gintian violet...be careful using it on your nipples and not getting it off before the baby latches. I've heard that it actually removes a layer of skin and if the baby gets it in their mouth it can hurt them. I actually had trush in my mouth when I was pregnant (first few weeks before I even knew LO was coming). It hurt so bad. I had to get gintian violet then. It was actually somewhat hard to find too.

The maya wrap is the carrier that I have. I love it and don't mind using it. I just think it is like most things that aren't main stream...if people aren't used to it they stare at you. I get that a lot being from the north living in the south (in a small town too)! The first two months I would have gone crazy if I didn't have the wrap. I would walk around our neighborhood breastfeeding him all the time. I just actually figured out how to put him in it so he is sitting up. They say there are like 40 different ways to 'wear' the baby...I've only tried two so far.

Thanks for all the comments about rolling! Jameson actually did it all by himself today! He has been rolling tummy to back for quite awhile but just figured out how to go from his back to tummy. I just hope that he 'practices' in his crib. This might help with the night crying?!

Well I hope everyone has a great day! I'm off to get some much needed scrapbooking done!
Jill, proud mother to Jameson born 05.05.05,
touchy/textbook baby!

s_olano00

« Reply #302 on: September 13, 2005, 20:01:11 pm »
Thank you so much for your advice ladies! This board so far have been a valious source of advice and support  :D 

I suspected from the beginning that what I have is thrush, but I haven't been able to find any websites with pics to compare and also, DD is not showing any sympthoms other than fussy feeds. Also, since I was checked by 2 different persons - both with experience in the matter - and was told that I don't have anything,  I kind of decided to trust on their word.

Tomorrow I will schedule an appointment with an adviser from La Leche and will see what they have to say.

Well, gotta go to pump some more milk.

Have a good day / night

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #303 on: September 13, 2005, 21:22:59 pm »
Silvia, both times I've had thrush neither boys have had white spots in their mouths, nor been fussy feeders, I've just had painful nipples & a knife like pain when they latch on... you can't get gentian violet in Australia, but I have used great stuff called "Daktarin Oral Gel" & it has cleared it up in 2 days. Also, cut back on the "bad carbohydrates"... sugars etc, can help.
Does your dd have much nappy rash... that was something Aiden had at the time too & it was thrush related.
My reason for thinking it is thrush is that it happened well after feeding was established... If it was me I would say even if they think it isn't can they give you something just in case so you can eliminate that as a reason.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Jamom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #304 on: September 14, 2005, 02:33:41 am »
Wow, I am having a hard time keeping up with all these posts! I am so exhausted from working and then wanting to rush home to see Jake and play with him.

Fun to read all of the rolling over stories.  JAke seemed so close last week to go from back to belly -- he was grabbing his toes and if you just gave him a little nudge he'd roll.  Now this week, no signs of it at all and the toe grabbing has decreased too.  :? I guess they aren't as interesting this week or something.   :) I don't know if he'll ever figure it out but sometimes I want to be careful for what I wish for since it can ruin the good sleeping we've been having.

Andrea-- hope working is going OK!!! Hang in there.

Well, hope everyone and their lo's are doing well.
Erin

Mom to Jacob 05/02/05 and Sophia 8/12/07

Offline Taylor's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 17
  • Long Beach, CA
    • http://www.taylormadellc.com
« Reply #305 on: September 14, 2005, 04:53:09 am »
Hi Erin-thanks for checking in.  Work has been, well, work!  It's an hour commute and with gas prices it cost me $50 to fill up my tank today!  The company has totally changed too since I've been gone.  DH and I are seriously talking about me leaving so that I can help him out with his business, as he is quickly getting behind.  First we have to find affordable health insurance though since he is self employed.  Does anyone out there have any suggestions for buying health insurance???

Taylor's night wakings have been non existant the last 2 nights :D   but watch I jinx it now.  As far as the rolling over thing, supposedly she has rolled over a couple of times on her tummy but I haven't witnessed it,only DH  :x .  She was rolling from tummy to back a couple of weeks ago but has stopped taht.  weird how they lose interest! 

Solanno-I hope your bf troubles go away soon.  I can't imagine having to deal with that.

Question/Advice for you ladies-dd's naps have gotten strange.  she has decided to now take 1 very long nap/day, and a 45 minute nap/day, but the order changes every day.  So our days look like this:
if she takes a long mornign nap (2.5 hours), she will take a 45 minute 2nd nap and then a short evening cat nap.
if she takes a 45 minute morning nap, she will take a long afternoon nap (2.5 hours), but then will wake up around 4 pm and not want to take a cat nap.  (we can only get her to take a catnap if she has been up for 2.5-3 hours or if we are in the car running errands).
this has been going on for about a week now and she seems to be okay with the one long and one short nap, and then a cat nap.  so should I just go with it?  when she wakes up from a 45 minute nap, be it the morning or afternoon, she seems happy, and only gets FURIOUS when we try to get her to go back down.  If we get her up she is all smiles.

I'm exhausted and it's only Tuesday! :cry:   

Have a good night everyone!
Andrea
Taylor-Textbook Baby
DOB 04/19/05

Sydney-too soon to tell, but looking EASY
DOB 05/20/07

Offline mommycarrie

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • My boys!!
« Reply #306 on: September 14, 2005, 06:32:41 am »
WOW :shock:  :shock:  :shock: I can't believe it! I'm finally caught up with reading.  I think it was Kate that suggested I just read the last 3 or 4 pages, but I'm glad I read everything.  In doing so I feel as if I have gotten to 'know' everyone and their lo's.  I also noticed a lot of similarities with our lo's too.  (I'll share my info in a bit)

Also in reading the more recent posts, I have realized what the problem was with DS.  Most recently Andrea's posts have been really similar to what was going on here.  It was also mentioned by more than one person that the problems could be developmental.  I think I agree now that was the case.  The past couple of nights have been mostly back to normal. (normal for us is off to bed with little fuss, a d/f about 11 and then wake up about 6:30/7am) 

I have another May mom friend I will let know about this thread as I havn't seen a post from her yet.  I think she will enjoy it as much as I have.  As many of you have stated your issues with DH's and them 'helping', I would have to say mine is somewhat on par.  He does do good for the most part (diaper changes, walks, playtime) but when I ask him to read even a paragraph from the book to see where I'm coming from, or if I ask him to do something specifically, he does his own thing... :x it makes me mad.  He too mentions to others about what a good baby he is and that he's on a routine, but he does credit me for it which is good.  Tonight DS was up when DH came home from errands so I gave him the chance to put him down for his catnap.  He has done it before so I have no issues with that, but I do have issues when he tries to do his own thing.....I asked him to swaddle at 6 and do the routine and lay him down btwn 6:15 and 6:30.  I was still catching up on posts and he was downstairs at 6:05 :!:  :evil: I didn't say anything at first because I don't want to be critical of everything I get him to do, so I let it go......until he started to fuss more than his mantra cry.  I went up and got him settled and off to sleep then went down and calmly asked why he had "strayed" from what I asked.  He just said 'I thought he was okay to go down and we'd see what happens"  :evil: 'well guess what happened?' I wanted to scream.  I stay at home with him and know his routine.  I think that he owes me the respect of listening to my 'suggestions' and that he doesn't have enough time invested to throw his own tweeking into the mix.  Sorry :oops: I have just let out a major vent.  He also makes noises (slamming things) when others (even me) are sleeping as if there is noone else in the house. :evil:  Ya he has to go off to work but he could just close things and not slam them.  I have mentioned it on more than one occasion but to no avail.

Here is our info:

baby  8lbs12oz & 20in at birth, currently 17lbs and 26in..had second shots today(14th)-poor little guy-it was like he knew where he was before he got the shots-mean mom :( .  Textbook with some angel and spirit

easy  now on 4hour.  mostly b/f....do various combos of ebm & formula for d/f.  has been on rice cereal since 3 months (only at last meal before bed)

settling  about 45 min before bed/nap, change bum so he's comfy during sleep, swaddle then stare at light or out window until in a trance, then off to bed.  And fingers crossed that no fussing follows (usually not).

me  sahm...liking it mostly but feel lonely sometimes. That's when I call someone from back home to chat or go out for walks. (there's a new mom on the block so I just started to go for wlaks with her and her 2month ds)  First baby; married 2 years 2 months to my mostly wonderful DH; just turned 31

hobbies  trying to sleep when DS does, bw site, and tv I guess

Well, I guess that's all for now.  It's 12:30 and I'm off to d/f.  (I know it's later than supposed to be but i just started-last night-to try and adjust DS day so when time change happens I'm not up at 5:30am)...wish me luck as I am hoping the morning starts at 8am

Carrie

Offline Taylor's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 17
  • Long Beach, CA
    • http://www.taylormadellc.com
« Reply #307 on: September 15, 2005, 04:04:06 am »
Hi Carrie-glad you got through the thread.  That was quite a feat!  Rylan was a big boy when he was born.  Can relate to the DH being frustrating sometimes!  The other night he didn't think Taylor needed her catnap either so I just kept my mouth shut and went with it.  Well by bed time she had an utter meltdown!  Screaming like she was 6 weeks old again.  AFter we finally got her down, he said "I sure messed up not putting her down for her catnap"  I just nodded and smiled to myself!

Good news, we got a good lead on health insurance so I may be able to quit my job soon!!!

Have a good night everyone!
Andrea
Taylor-Textbook Baby
DOB 04/19/05

Sydney-too soon to tell, but looking EASY
DOB 05/20/07

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #308 on: September 15, 2005, 04:51:27 am »
Carrie , don't think yourself mean for giving the shots... they hurt for a few minutes, mostly shock, but think of how you would feel if Rylan got sick because he didn't get them!!!

Girls count yourselves lucky your dh's do anything with your babies... my dh has changed ONE nappy for Liam & Settled him for One sleep!! Ok he does do heaps for Aiden & Liam is pretty easy & I do feel like I know what I'm doing, so it is fine, but I think I have to start letting dh get more involved as I'm going to a day at the Races next month with my work (old, since when my leave is up I'm not going back) & dh will have to look after both boys for more than the 3 hours I have once left him with them.
Andrea, good on you for holding back, because now he realises that it isn't you that is being upset by his actions but he has made his little darling cry when he could have avoided it. I think you will find being male, he will forget that sometimes, but a gentle reminder of "remember how upset she was last time we did that" works a treat.

I'm going to try Liam on the bottle this weekend - Hope he takes it Aiden was on it from 2 weeks old, but haven't been bothered with Liam he is such a fast feeder the thought of expressing sterilising etc, puts me off.

Andrea good news about the insurance, seriously, I think there is a point where you have to weigh these things up, for me not to be working now we live on a very tight budget, but the stress it took on my working with one in daycare & the commute (1hour+ each way) really would be too much for me with 2, so I totally understand where you are at. I only went back after Aiden to get my 10years of service up & to get Long Service Leave - which is 3 months paid leave for 10years of service with the one employer, so with 3 months paid maternity leave, I'm getting paid still!
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline mommycarrie

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • My boys!!
« Reply #309 on: September 15, 2005, 05:08:35 am »
(2nd attempt at this reply)

Someone mentioned before about a ring sling and I just wanted to say that I have one.  I made mine from instructions on the net (here's the link if anyone is interested: http://www.mayawrap.com/sewSling.shtml  )  I wanted to make my own partly cuz I don't like ordering from the net and I wanted to see if I could do it.  I am not a sewer even though I have a machine.  It's been packed up for I don't know how many years.  The need-to-sew mother in me must have been unleashed.  I even bought a pattern for hats.  I started one 3 weeks ago and am still not done :oops:

Andrea -- I think you would enjoy being a SAHM even if it was only part time.  DH and I made the decision before we got pregnant that if we moved for his work (we did) that I would be a SAHM.  I know a lot of moms need to work to help the household and I know some moms out there just need to work.  I'm all for whatever as long as the kids don't suffer...I guess I have seen one too many Oprah episodes  :oops:   I really have to hand it to the moms that work from home though  :wink:   I don't know how they manage to split the day effectivly :?

Good night all and a friendly reminder to all those who watch it.......
SURVIVOR STARTS TOMORROW(today depends where you live)

My countdown is on for ALIAS ON SEPT.29th  YEAH!!!

Carrie

Offline jjstar

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #310 on: September 15, 2005, 13:10:09 pm »
Andrea...that is great news about the insurance. I hope it works out for you guys!

Do any of you SAHM find it hard to let others 'help' with things since you are with your LO all the time. I'm not sure that I would be this protective if I left for work. I get into the mentality that I can do it faster and the right way so I just do it. I'm afraid I'm going to end up burnt out and worse that Jameson won't ever want anyone else to help him with things. I wasn't sure if it was BF thing or a SAHM thing.

So last night when Jameson woke at 3:45 I said, we're not going to feed to try to get him back to sleeping through the night. Oh boy was that fun. When he was still crying after 45 minutes of PUPD I caved. I figured he had used up any caleries he could have used to get him through till 7. He took a full feed and went straight to sleep. What should I do tonight?? Feed him right away or try to hold him out again? I'm afraid he is going to get in the habit of eating at night and never sleep through. Suggestions/ thoughts?
touchy/textbook baby!

s_olano00

« Reply #311 on: September 15, 2005, 13:45:14 pm »
I just cannot believe how some of you have described situations I am going thru right now...

On our side, 45 min naps are back again and we are having issues oing to sleep in the night. Last night it took me more than 2 hours + a major meltdown to put DD to sleep. Also, she has decided to wake up at 6.30 am instead of 7 am, which really, really kills me

Maria – I forgot to tell you in my last post that I sent you a pm with my contact data for your Mom… I hope you found my message by now.

Kate – About the nappy rash, as a matter of fact, she hasn’t had one so far… I spoke with someone from La Leche and I will have a consultation with a lactation specialist tomorrow. Since AK (Anna Krisztina) and I are having so many issues, it seems we will have to go back to square 1 and learn all about bfeeding all over again. I hope it works.

Andrea – You just described AK when she wakes up earlier  :D  If I try to put her down, she’ll give me this „How do you dare try to put me down” cry. Of course, if I pick her up, she’ll chuckle. About recieving help; I am just like you and I constantly think in the fact that maybe AK will get too attached to me because of this. I know I was foolish to refuse my MIL’s offer to come and help me out during summer, but I knew that I would worry more about how she’s getting things done rather on concentrating on AK.

Carrie – I just cannot believe it…. Our DH’s must be twins  :lol: … he is pretty noisy as well.. I just tell him that he is like an elephant in a china store. Of course, if he is dealing with AK, I have to be completely quiet. Right now, he will only do nappies, bath and playing on weekends. I really hope that things will improve as AK grows and I am looking forward to the time when AK wakes up early and I just will send her to play with Daddy so I can have some more hours of sleep – DH is an early bird and I am pretty much like and hibernating bear.

I read that some of you are wearing your LO’s on slings and I wanted you ask you if you are aware of spinal stress? Because of it, I just use the sling on very short trips (10 / 20 mins) and just once or twice a week. Here’s a link if you are interested
http://www.continuum-concept.org/reading/spinalStress.html

Well, gotta go to wake up AK for our last afternoon strech.

Have a good day / night

[/url]

Offline jjstar

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #312 on: September 15, 2005, 16:27:56 pm »
Question for those of you with bumbo seats...would this be something you would take with you when you go out to eat. I was thinking it might be something good to use once Jameson is a bit bigger so we don't have to use the dirty highchairs at restaurants. I'm trying to figure out if I'll use it enough to get one.

Silivia...thanks for the article. I hadn't heard of any of these risks. There is always something?!
touchy/textbook baby!

Offline krice

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #313 on: September 15, 2005, 16:49:07 pm »
Jill (jjstar) We love taking the bumbo out for dinner!  It works so well.  We are sure to get a larger table and we sit Matthew in the bumbo right on the table top.  That was he is eye level with us and is able to look around the restaurant (and make goo-goo eyes at the waitress).
Cheers,

Kathy
Mom to Matthew (05-06-05)

Offline mommycarrie

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • My boys!!
« Reply #314 on: September 16, 2005, 01:26:33 am »
Do those of you who have bunbo seats get them from a store (which ones) or do you order them off of the net?  About how much do you pay?

Jill--I'm not sure what it is either, but I feel the same way about me just doing it because it will be done faster, if not better.  I too am worried about DS becoming dependant on only me so I try REALLY hard to let others do stuff with him even if it's not how I do it.  Also I can't remember how it happened that DS got rid of the night feeds (even though I was doing EASY at the time ---I'd have to find my EASY log for that time) but I think it was just prolonging and prolonging.  At the time I was still using a paci so that helped.  I can't remember if you are using one or not.  I had taken rylan's paci away cold turkey a couple of weeks ago and just started to use it agian (as a tool, not a prop) to extend his sleep.  I am getting him to wake up later and later in the morning because 6/6:30 is too early for me so I take it away before he goes off to sleep completely.   You could try this if you are comfortable with it.  Good Luck.

Carrie