Author Topic: any april/may 05 moms want to chat?  (Read 64991 times)

Offline jjstar

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
    • http://www.leavingalegacyretreats.com
any april/may 05 moms want to chat?
« Reply #390 on: October 03, 2005, 12:24:12 pm »
Well the trip is going pretty well. He is waking a bit more than normal at night but last night it was just wake and right back to sleep (better than the night before when we were up for almost 2 hours at one time). Does anyone have any thoughts on adding extra padding to a pack-n-play?

Got his bumbo seat yesterday! So much fun.[/img]
Jill, proud mother to Jameson born 05.05.05,
touchy/textbook baby!

Offline krice

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #391 on: October 03, 2005, 15:34:57 pm »
Jill - cute pictures.  I take it Jameson is the one in the blue bumbo??

Hi everyone.  We are still alive over here.  I've been reading your posts when I have the time, but haven't managed to respond to anything for such a long time.  Lots going on in our neck of the woods - house renovations are happening!

Matthew had his first cold.  It just about killed me!  I haven't had to get up with him for so long!!!  He had a nasty head cold (runny nose, sneezing, coughing, sore throat) and lost his voice at one stage.

Someone was asking about swaddling and how to wean a while ago - we did it gradually (first one arm, then two, then nothing). HOWEVER . . . since the cold DS has slept 1000X better if he is swaddled - so we are back to one arm.  I hate how a sickness can set everything back.

Don't know if I told you but we are doing a "baby yoga" class.  It's a lot of fun to see the moms and LO's!

Glad to see some more moms are joining us!
(I will try to post a little more consistently)
Cheers,

Kathy
Mom to Matthew (05-06-05)

Offline jjstar

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
    • http://www.leavingalegacyretreats.com
« Reply #392 on: October 03, 2005, 15:45:43 pm »
Yes Jameson is in the blue bumbo. The other LOs are my sisters twins that are two weeks younger than Jameson. It is so neat seeing them interact with each other!
Jill, proud mother to Jameson born 05.05.05,
touchy/textbook baby!

Offline JKHH

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #393 on: October 03, 2005, 19:45:07 pm »
Jjstar - that is a really cute picture.

I have been on a bit of an emotional roller coaster the past few weeks. I go back to work on Halloween. Less than a month now. I really like my job and Kay is going to a great nursery school that is brand new (run by a woman with a great reputation). I know things will be hard - but OK. My problem is trying to NOT count down the days until I go back to work. I suspect the anticipation of going back will be worse than actually being at work.

I am also starting to wean Kay onto formula for two feeds a day. We started last weekend (my husband did the feeding) and then Kay got a rash. Learned a new lesson that if you start formula put lots of diaper cream on FIRST because the baby will likely get a rash in reaction to the different poop. So I stopped the forumla to let the rash heal. We started again this weekend. An hour ago I fed her the formula myself. It was really sad. Kay didn't mind though...she was quite happy...which is great.

I guess with these big things happening now I am starting to take stock of how much has happened since Kay was born. How far we have come with her sleeping and how much she has grown! I look at her and I can't believe she is already 5 months old.

When I was pregnant I became VERY weepy which is not my usual way. Guess what...it has not gone away yet :?
Janet

Mom to (Kay) Kathleen Elizabeth
Born May 4, 2005 - a Textbook/Spirited Baby

(Abby) Abigail Christina
Born November 4, 2007 - a Textbook Baby

Offline Jamom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #394 on: October 04, 2005, 01:19:25 am »
Janet-- best wishes going back.  I have been back over a month now and I will say, people are right when they say the anticipation is worst than actually going back.  I cried and cried the night before but then was actually kinda' (gasp) excited when I went back to work.  It's been hard, and somedays I struggle, but now that I am getting back to being busy at work and into the swing of things, it's not so bad.  The hardest part is how tired I am at the end of the day and all I want to do is play with Jake.  But I do take a guilty pleasure in my work as I enjoy it as well as being back with my co-workers/friends.  You'll be Ok -- big HUGS to you and if you need any support, send me a "pm".

Jill-- love the Bumbo picture.  I just love Bumbo chairs.  That was one of my best baby buys!

Kathy-- sorry to hear about the cold.  That's the pits.  Thanks for tips on weaning from swaddle.  We've been trying one arm out -- and it works some times and not others. He needs it to stay asleep not to fall asleep.

Kate-- hopefully Liam will get back on track.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.  You've had a rough time and could use some good luck!

Well-- I am off on my first traveling trip for work (Texas).  It's just overnight but the first time I am very far away from Jake. Dh is doing such a good job with Jake and is such a good daddy that I don't feel as bad about it.  It will be a long month of both dh and I traveling for work although not on the same days.  It's stressful but unfortunately a necessary for my job.

Jake turned 5 months yesterday and I can't believe how quickly the time is going and how much he is changing and growing.  I just look at him and think, wow, what a little blessing.

Hope everyone and their lo's are doing well.
Erin

Mom to Jacob 05/02/05 and Sophia 8/12/07

Offline Taylor's Mommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • Long Beach, CA
    • http://www.taylormadellc.com
« Reply #395 on: October 04, 2005, 05:52:59 am »
HI Everyone.

I too have been out of the loop for over a week now, as things are pretty busy here with work and such.  I just read the last page, but enough to gather that Liam is having some troubles.  So sorry to hear that Kate, as I know he was just in the hospital last week.  Hope things get better soon.

Taylor got her first cold yesterday and it is so sad!  :cry:   One bit of advice that I will always listen to now is TRUST YOUR MOTHERLY INSTINCTS!!!  Tonight as I was putting her down I was going to give her Pediacare and DH said, "she seems fine, do you really think she needs that?"  logn story short, he was raised in a religion that doesn't really believe in medical intervention including medication...and although he doesn't believe in it now (after almost dying at 11 from apendicitis), it is still pretty engrained in him.  Well, not feeling his support for giving her anything we put her straight to bed.  And of course she woke up at 9:30 screaming and coughing and all stuffy.  I got so mad at him we got into a big fight and told him I was going to trust my instincts from now on and medicate when I feel necessary!!!!  DH is such a wonderful dad and husband, but that is the one thing we don't quite agree on.  Oh well, tomorrow is another day.

I will have to post some big pics of Taylor too.  There is one of her in her Bumbo seat and in her Exersaucer that are just priceless.
One new thing we have given her is a kiddy swing that you hang on the patio.  She absolutely LOVES it!  she was squealing so loud today it was the cutest thing.

Jamom-good luck on your first trip away from home.  I'm sure all will be well.  And JKHH-yes, the anticipation is worse than the actual going back.  You may not believe it, but eventhough I am quitting soon, work is not that bad.  In fact I think I would have stayed if 1. the commute wasn't so horrible and 2. DH didn't need my help running his business.

Anyhow, gotta go!  everyone have a good night!
Andrea
Taylor-Textbook Baby
DOB 04/19/05

Sydney-too soon to tell, but looking EASY
DOB 05/20/07

Offline Taylor's Mommy

• Long Beach, CA
« Reply #396 on: October 04, 2005, 06:23:07 am »
so DH just came in and apologized and said that from now on he will trust me and my instincts with all things relating to Taylor's wellness/medicating.  HE said he knows his upbringing is clouding his judgement.  I guess he's not so bad after all! :wink:
Andrea
Taylor-Textbook Baby
DOB 04/19/05

DOB 05/20/07

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #397 on: October 04, 2005, 09:41:10 am »
Andrea, totally agree about trusting your instict... that was why I took Liam to hospital! I think having carried around our lo's before birth, we have a mother's instinct that no one else could ever have. So often I have had that feeling something isn't right with Aiden & the next day he was sick.

Theresa, my supply is back up & feeding going well, the night feed is getting later & later, so fingers crossed, we might be back to long night sleeps by the end of the week. Liam is also now back falling asleep independently, although I seem to have to resettle at 45mins more than before, he does resettle easily, so I think we are well on the way back... YEH! How are your supply problems going... I really do reccommend pumping for 5-10mins after you stop getting milk, after 3 days doing that I feel full all the time!

Will post more later, dh & I are in the process of developing a "behaviour management"  strategy (how we will deal with undesirable behaviour) for Aiden, as we have been having a few issues there... mostly due to not agreeing on how to handle things & now he is at the "terrible twos" we are getting some HUGE tantrums ( we had one an hour long!!!) & pushing the limits big time... Thats what a Spirited Toddler gives you.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

s_olano00

« Reply #398 on: October 04, 2005, 13:02:44 pm »
Hello Ladies,

It's nice to know that everyone is doing fine. I joined this thread about 1 month ago and it's amazing to see how much our LO's have grown and developed since!

On our side, things are still wacky. Although AK doesn't cry anymore when I put her in the crib, we're still dealing with irregular naps, crazy night sleep, difficult wind-downs - you name it. Things have improved compared to last week, so I still keep the hope that slowly things will get back to normal until the next growth spurt :?

One strange thing has happened, now, AK refuses to take her bottle and only wants my breast... well, what can I say... I am back to bfeeding again.

I am kind of sad bc my Mom was supposed to arrive tomorrow for a 3 week stay (finally, I would have time to get a decent hair cut and go to some doctor's appointments) but it seems that her trip is delayed again for the zillionth time (she's been planning to come since AK was born). Mom is coming from El Salvador and unfortunately, last weekend a volcano over there erupted (no mayor threat to the capital, but plenty of small earthquakes) and since hurricane Rita, the country is soaking in rain, so right now, practically everything is landsliding because the earth cannot hold more water. I have a little sister on her teens and my Mom thinks that is wiser to stay over there and wait until all the danger is gone. Well, I guess I'll have to keep on waiting.

Kate - Please don't frighten me anymore with this Spirited child thing  :D  :D  :D Ak is becoming more and more spirited up to the point that she's really spooking me. I feel I have to start planning now what to do with her for the rest of her life in order to have her under control....

Well, gotta go. AK is asleep and I need to grab some lunch.

Take care everyone!

mommytsa

« Reply #399 on: October 04, 2005, 18:54:42 pm »
Kate- Glad to hear things are getting better with your supply.  Mine is fine.  Really, I never had any definite problems, I was just paranoid that since I'm away from him during the day and can't pump at work that if I wasn't feeding him more frequently in the evenings that my supply would go down, since even though I'm pumping, I know that's not as effective as the baby in stimulating production.  It's very stressful to try to pump half the day's milk when you can't pump at work!  So basically, things are fine, and I'm learning to be less paranoid about it.  Thank you for thinking of me, though!

Silvia- I'm sorry you wouldn't be able to visit with your mom.  It must be very hard living so far from your family.  I hope everyone in El Salvador is doing well despite the mudslides and earthquakes.  I also went through periods with Aaron when he refused the bottle (immediately following periods where he refused the breast!)  What worked to get him back on the bottle was to have my MIL give him a bottle when he wasn't "really" hungry, like an hour after I fed him.  At first he just played with it, but then the next day we offered the bottle when he was hungry, and he took it just fine.  Maybe she needs a "no-stress, take it if you want it, but if not, oh well" sort of approach.  Seemed to work for Aaron.

Janet- You will do fine going back to work.  I've been back for 2 months, and it is hard to leave my LO, but it has gotten easier with time and even though I think about him frequently, it is so nice to have adult conversations about something other than poop and when the baby last ate.  But understand that it is normal to have some misgivings.  The first month was very difficult fo rme because we had just started the transition from pat/sh to pu/pd and I knew that for HOURS of the time I was at work, Aaron was screaming in his daddy's ear.  To echo someone else (Andrea?  I forget who's who) if you need support or to vent, pm me.

Offline JKHH

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #400 on: October 04, 2005, 19:30:08 pm »
Thank you for the kind words ladies!

I appreciate hearing about your experiences. It is great to know I am not the only one going through this crazy time...and that I will survive.

Jamom - I hope you have a successful trip tp Texas.
Janet

Mom to (Kay) Kathleen Elizabeth
Born May 4, 2005 - a Textbook/Spirited Baby

(Abby) Abigail Christina
Born November 4, 2007 - a Textbook Baby

Offline cambeladamom

• Showing Appreciation 0
colorado
« Reply #401 on: October 04, 2005, 21:35:37 pm »
i am writing from colorado-dh has training here for work. the flights here went great-much better than expected. ds only cried during one landing and took a long nap too! he even slept well his first night here in the hotel. but--i think i may have earned "worst mother of the year" award today. i went shopping with him and he was getting tired and fussy. i was almost done trying on jeans (something i have not bought forever) and so i put him on this soft bench in the corner of the changing room. i stepped out for just a second and he fell!! i felt awful!!! i checked him out and he doesn't have any bumps that i can see. i think it scared him more than anything. but boy do i feel terrible about it.
glad to hear everyone is doing okay. sorry about the colds some of the lo's are getting. i thought ds had a slight cold a week or 2 ago, but we have yet to face a real one. i am not excited.
still wondering when the early morning feeding will disappear...
the pictures are so cute--i think i should have bought one of those seats.
got to go..ds is fussy and after our mishap i feel guilty if i let him go for a minute:)
Maria--mom to
Cambel 5/1/05 and Ada 4/25/08

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #402 on: October 04, 2005, 21:42:13 pm »
Silvia, sorry I have you worried about a spirited child, here are the upsides as I see it. Knowing what they want & being passionate about things they like/love... Aiden is so passionate about trains (& all things with wheels), that a train trip is talked about for days. His enthusiasm & drive even at this early age, wanting to acheive something & working for it. Also his loving caring nature has the same sort of spirit that he has for other things (we get lots of cuddles). Life can be really good as long as the boundaries are strong & he gets lots of warning about change/what is happening next (good for all toddlers), things are just the way they are as the 'boundaries' were loosened when he got sick & he is pushing the limits again :lol: to see if he can get somewhere! I think the challenges may be greater with Aiden than Liam, but I also know the rewards are greater too!
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Jamom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #403 on: October 05, 2005, 00:45:01 am »
Hi all.  Made it back from Texas only to find out that Jake did his first roll (back to tummy) while I was gone!!!  :(   :cry:  :cry:  But he did it again for me tonight.  I guess he skipped over that whole tummy to back part for now since I hear that generally comes first.   So, I had a little "talk" with him and told him that next time he wants to hit a developmental milestone to do it when he is at home in the evenings or weekends and while I am at home! :lol:

But I think this rolling has really messed up his sleeping and I am holding my breath for tonight.  His naps were off all day at daycare and he was kinda' out of sorts tonight.  (Although we are also weaning him from the swaddle and some days are better than others).  I'm hoping he doesn't have frequent night wakings because he's rolled over onto his tummy and I have to flip him back.  Now I can relate to all of you who were going through some of these sleep issue a couple weeks ago or so due to developmental things!! 

Anyway, hope all is well with everyone.  Silvia-- I hope your mom makes it and when she does she'll just love the time she gets with your lo!
Hope all those colds get better.  We've fought through a couple already and I know it's not fun so hang in there!
Erin

Mom to Jacob 05/02/05 and Sophia 8/12/07

Offline Taylor's Mommy

• Long Beach, CA
« Reply #404 on: October 06, 2005, 16:38:12 pm »
Hi all,

this thread is so much easier to keep up on than the march/april thread!!!  anyhow, taylor is still struggling through her cold and if it doesn't get better by tomorrow I am going to take her to the ped.  sure there's nothing she can do?  it has affected her sleeping at night because when she lies down she gets all stuffed up and can't breathe right but is so tired that she gets very upset because all she wants to do is sleep!

Last night Taylor sat up unassisted for the first time!!! :D   It was on teh changing table and I set her up just to see what would happen and she did it for about 1-2 mintues!  Of course a little wobbly, but I definitely consider it sitting up :wink:   Very proud of her!

Jamom-totally know what you mean about them hitting a milestone whiel you're at work.  on Saturday I saw Taylor roll from back to tummy and got so excited and DH looked at me liek I was a loon!  he said, oh she's been doing that for a couple of weeks now! :shock:  :x   tahnks for telling me!

Maria-I'm sure Campbel os OK...like you said just probably scared. 

Gotta go!
Have a great day everyone
Andrea
Taylor-Textbook Baby
DOB 04/19/05

DOB 05/20/07