Author Topic: Watery poops with green mucus: food allergy?  (Read 2655 times)

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Watery poops with green mucus: food allergy?
« on: July 10, 2005, 15:32:36 pm »
Just the last week or so Natalie's poops have mostly been quite watery, sometimes a little green, and often with strands of mucus. (Sorry if TMI :oops:) Is this a sign of a food allergy?

She doesn't appear to be fussier than usual, she's still eating well - sucked down 4.5 ounces in her bedtime bottle last night and yelled for MORE! :shock: - and gaining well (has a healthy second chin LOL).

Not much new in my diet lately, some more garden veggies instead of getting them at the store all the time - green beans, squash/zucchini, green peas, lettuce. I already have almost no dairy anyway, the occasional yogurt that I share with Josie that I've done since before N was born, so that wouldn't suddenly be manifesting now, would it? Some soy protein powder in a rice milk drink once in a while too, but again, occasionally since before N was born w/o problems. Eating the same amount of bread I always ate, which is maybe one sandwich a day w/Josie for lunch (I'm not a big bread-eater), so not inclined to single out wheat.

It IS possible that she might have picked up something when I took her to the pool, as this started happening about the same time, but if it were an out-and-out belly bug, I'd expect her to be complaining all the time, and while she tired quickly with all the Josie stimulation LOL, she doesn't usually appear to be in pain.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas? What should I do next?

Offline Seona1973

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 18:34:44 pm »
This is what the kellymom  website says about poo in a breastfed baby:

The normal breastmilk stool is pasty to watery, mustard coloured, and usually has little odour. However, bowel movements may vary considerably from this description. They may be green or orange, may contain curds or mucus, or may resemble shaving cream in consistency (from air bubbles). The variations in colour do not mean something is wrong.

It also says this about potential food allergy:

If a breastfed baby is sensitive to a particular food, then he may be fussy after feedings, cry inconsolably for long periods, or sleep little and wake suddenly with obvious discomfort. There may be a family history of allergies. Other signs of a food allergy may include: rash, hives, eczema, sore bottom, dry skin; wheezing or asthma; congestion or cold-like symptoms; red, itchy eyes; ear infections; irritability, fussiness, colic; intestinal upsets, vomiting, constipation and/or diarrhea, or green stools with mucus or blood.

IMO if your lo is showing no other signs of discomfort and is not off her milk then there is probably nothing wrong with her and it is just another phase in her bowel movements - they tend to change every so often!!

More info here:
http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/food-sensitivity.html

hth

Seona

Offline babyHQ

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 18:08:25 pm »
Our baby had very watery poo, across the green spectrum, and included mucus strands and clumps. It also was particularly vile and foul smelling. After considerable effort to track it down we learned the following. A terrible smell is the result of a virus being sorted out. Body doing its job, that sort of thing. Behavioral difference may or may not be apparent. The very watery poo is diarrhea and the mucus is the result of the intestinal lining being damaged/healing and dispensed with. Both of these are commensurate with an intestinal bug or problem. If you should see red streaks, observe the color. Bright red means it happens at the end of the tract - on it's way out. The rectum can become quite irritated with so much passage. Dark red is a sign of 'old blood' farther up in the tract and is particularly worrisome.

Any of these symptoms should be brought up to your GP or health visitor. Diarrhea can impact nutrition and vital hydration very quickly. For us, the case was our baby picked up a virus somehow somewhere, took it to her intestinal tract, and really struggled to put her little system back in order. There was nothing really to be done. We gave her bananas and the doctor also gave us stomach flora in the form of granules to mix into the baby cereal. This seemed to help. So did rehydration salts, which were drunk with gusto and was a noticable pick-me-up.

IMH experience, it CAN be an out an out belly bug ... only it's not the flu or something you would expect to incapacitate your LO in a specific way.

Best luck ....
You're always teaching them *something* ... the question is what.

Offline Hubbafer

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 20:57:34 pm »
My 3 month old gets this.... asked our doctor about it, and it's a part of the breastfeeding / digesting of the milk.  I was worried initially, as it was stringy, but after talking to the doctor, once I get him on solids, it'll change.
"Lucas Francesco"
Born: May 23, 2005