Author Topic: what do you feed your toddler?  (Read 3178 times)

Offline lilybell

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
what do you feed your toddler?
« on: July 15, 2005, 21:12:13 pm »
i'm in a rut for easy things to make for dd. she is strictly fingerfoods now - won't let me get a spoon near her unless we're out to eat  :roll:
our typical repitoir is as follows:
oatios, puffed organic corn & sliced grapes, cherries or bananas for breakfast (she barely touches the fruit)

lunch is usually 1/3 of a steamed & sliced veggie dog, steamed broccoli & cauliflour & some unsalted cracker / pretzles / goldfish

dinner wavers between corkscrew pasta w/ sauce & veggies or a scrambled egg w/ cheese & veggies.

about 50% of the time she eats well, the other half, most of the food ends up on the floor...

HELP!!
elsbeth - mom to dd isabella

Offline rachelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 8
  • Oregon/USA
    • my blog
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 21:16:08 pm »
chicken or veggie nuggets
grilled cheese sandwich
peanut butter/jelly sandwich
lunch meat and cheese

I remember haven't a tough time at that age...kiandra barely had 4 teeth, so it was hard to find stuff for her to eat!  good luck, hope you get lots of good ideas!
Rachelle
Mommy to
Kiandra Diane 6-11-03
Kalli Louise 9-20-04
And Kiersten Angeline 4-25-06

Offline lilybell

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 21:22:37 pm »
Quote from: rachelle
chicken or veggie nuggets
grilled cheese sandwich
peanut butter/jelly sandwich
lunch meat and cheese

I remember haven't a tough time at that age...kiandra barely had 4 teeth, so it was hard to find stuff for her to eat!  good luck, hope you get lots of good ideas!
great ideas! thanks!
does anyone have a quick easy recipe for vhicken nuggets?

she also can't have peanutbutter as i think she's allergic (i'll try it again after she gets tested for it)

Offline jubee

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2005, 00:45:37 am »
Hi

I am having similar tough time with our 13 month old ds.  He has no molars, doesn't seem to chew well.  He gags on things that need to be chewed instead of mushed in his mouth. HE loves cracker/cookie type stuff.  Won't touch fruit. The doctor says nothing is wrong with him, she believes he is just picky????? I would love some ideas too.
Julie

Offline {{{Angela}}}

• Showing Appreciation 12
    • pillowhead designs - hand embroidered goodies
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2005, 22:22:53 pm »
Xavier eats mostly pasta (with various sauces - tomato based, cheese based, always try to sneak in some pureed meat/veg in there), omelettes, bread, cheese. 

For breakfasts we do toast, omelettes, waffles, pancakes, french toast, Nutrios (Heinz brand toddler cheerios), fruit.
Lunch is usually pasta or bread/sandwich, with cheese, fruit, veggies - peas, corn, green beans, carrots are the ones he'll eat.  Maybe some deli meat if he's in the mood.  Sometimes I give him these Chinese buns made of rice flour with a filling of veggies and meat.  I just buy those frozen at the grocery store.
Dinner can be pasta, rice, potato (baked like "fries" with just a touch of oil) for carbohydrate.  Protein is usually in the pasta sauce or he could have omelette and he recently tried fish.  And veggies and fruit.

I'm running out of ideas for the protein portion of the meal.  I've noticed that several people give their lo's turkey sausage and I'm wondering what brand and aren't you worried about salt/preservatives?
Angela
mommy to Xavier and Zinnia

hand embroidered goodness at http://pillowhead.etsy.com

Offline frankiesmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2005, 11:55:51 am »
One thing that I find works for ds is to make casserole or soup type things.  So, for example, I will put a whole chicken in the crock pot with carrots, potatoes, and a bag of frozen soup vegetables and he loves it!  The veggies then get the taste of the meat and are much more flavorful.  Sometime we will do pasta and bake it (liked baked ziti) but add veggies.  We made pasta with tomatoes, zucchini, and eggplant and added cheese and baked it and he loved it.  Also, soups are great.  I will make chicken broth and add soup vegetables or you can use low sodium canned soup.

For a protein meal, you can try stuffed peppers, basically lean ground beef with rice and tomato sauce and cheese stuffed in peppers and baked.  He loves that! 

Also, frozen veggie burgers are great. 

HTH!

Kim

Offline SandyGal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2005, 17:58:26 pm »
Butternut squash makes a nice pasta sauce and very nutritious. Steam or or bake the squash. I usually cut some up into squares for her to eat as finger food and then make the rest into a pasta sauce. Just blend until smooth, adding water or milk to make a good sauce consistency. Can flavor with a little bit of sage and butter if you like and you can also add ground meat and puree until smooth to sneak in a bit of protein.

Other easy to eat finger foods... plums, peaches, very ripe pear. Gerber makes these freeze-dried veggies and fruits now. They soften right up in the mouth, but start with a little crunch. It's a nice variation. Comes in corn, apple and banana-strawberry varieties and it is nothing but the fruit or veggie (no added ingredients). Veggies are also quite soft... asparagus, beets, green beans, peas. Canned and frozen and cooked until soft are what dd prefers. She does not tend to like fresh and steamed veggies.

Chicken nuggets are basically just ground chicken (raw),  mixed with bread crumbs and maybe broth or water until a good consistency to make a patty. You can also add apple to sweeten a bit and add some vitamins. I use chicken breast meat and use the food processor to chop and mix to the proper consistency. Then use bread crumbs as the coating. I've fried them in oil, but would like to try baking instead (just haven't gotten around to it). You then can freeze them and reheat at anytime.

HTH  :D
Sandy-Mom to Kyra (1-7-04) and Kylan (9-20-05)

Colleen

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2005, 19:48:19 pm »
By your DD's age, my kids eat whatever we ate. As long as it was cut up into manageable size pieces, she should be able to eat about anything. :)

Edited to add -- Now that I've read the other responses, I should point out that both of my boys had all 16 teeth by 15 months old. If Isabella has less teeth, be sure to adjust the texture accordingly (as I'm sure you know ;-) ).

Offline 15milner

• Showing Appreciation 211
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2005, 20:55:05 pm »
Ds loves potato gnocci
Other things I make:
Mini-meat balls from pork / chicken / beef.  served with chunks of potato  any veg.
Tuna / salmon fishcakes with added veg
breaded turkey / chicken goujons.  - bash chicken breast until thin, cut into strips, dip in egg, then a mixture of breadcrumbs/parmesan/ parsley.  Fry gently in a small amount of olive oil(just enough so that it doesn't stick to the pan)
poached salmon / grilled fresh tuna is easy to pick up.

Offline lilybell

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2005, 20:15:06 pm »
hey guys, someone on another site directed me to this website w/ toddler recipe ideas:
http://www.mothering.com/sections/recipes/recipes.html
looks pretty good!

Offline LukasMom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Eating
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2005, 10:17:50 am »
I enjoy cooking, and I'm afraid I spoil her a bit.  I will whiz around cooking all kinds of things for her to see what she likes. The answer is almost everything!  :D

I do feed her turkey sausage, also chicken sausage, bacon, pepperoni, turkey or chicken dogs, and pork sausage. I don't think she eats enough of it to worry about salt/preservatives.
I am more worried she won't get enough iron or protein.  She weighs only 18 lbs so I want to give her every opportunity to get lots of protein so she can grow! 

I also give her thin-sliced turkey or ham, boiled/scrambled eggs, pieces of pork chop, shredded chicken, and fish or fish sticks.

In the dairy department, we have cottage cheese (always a favorite), creme fraiche, baby yogurt, ricotta cheese, cheddar cheese or processed
cheese slices, string cheese, mozarella cheese, swiss cheese (we are working on cheeses--I want her to try them all eventually!) and whole milk.

She does the worst with breads. I give her all and any breads we have, including tortillas, pitas, hot dog rolls, and rye bread. She barely touches bread by herself these days. I have to place it in her mouth. The same with pasta. She will eat soda crackers but not as much as before. I also give her baby oatmeal using a spoon (or she can eat it herself--messy,
though). She has Cheerios or crispy brown rice cereal in the morning. For beans, I give her Boston baked beans, refried beans, pinto beans, and kidney beans (inside chili).

No nuts or peanut butter yet as allergies run in the family.

For veggies we have corn, tomatoes, potatoes, lima beans, peas, wax beans, green beans, asparagus, carrots, brocoli, spinach ...oh, what else is there. Squash, sweet potato, yams,  eggplant, turnip...we have tried all kinds of veggies. She only hates the zucchini or raw onions (can you blame her?)

For fruits, the big thing right now is blueberries from our blueberry bushes. She also eats strawberries, a little cantaloupe, peaches, apples, bananas, pears, plums, what have you.
She likes apple and pear and white grape juice. Does NOT like grapefruit or grapefruit juice. She has had orange juice but not often. These juices are all diluted with water btw.

For treats, I used to give all kinds of cookies or goldfish crackers. I became concerned about sugar so now I only give graham crackers or maybe a tiny piece of white corn chip. She also eats pickles and pretzels with careful supervision. (She has about 12 teeth including some molars, and she is a good chewer.)

With cottage cheese, lima beans and blueberries, I have to be very careful. She will gorge on these things if I give her too much.  She also tends to take a big handful and cram it in her mouth, so I coach her to chew.  She has only choked once, on a slippery peach.  She's reasonable with most other things. She is starting to not eat some things at all, particularly bread.

"I don't understand your crazy moon language!" --The Tick

Offline Jessi

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2005, 03:41:15 am »
I don't have a lot of ideas that haven't been posted here, but I thought I'd mention one of my ds's favorites.  I make a batch of brown rice, pour in a can of black beans, then usually freeze 8-10 baggies.  When it's time for him to eat, I microwave the beans and rice for a minute, then add some bbq sauce and grated cheese.  It's sticky enough so that he can feed it to himself and he always eats it.  Also, morningstar makes tomato basil flavored veggie burgers that he loves.

Keep the ideas coming!