Author Topic: June/ July 05 Mom's Chat  (Read 121110 times)

Offline ry,cait&alex

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 135
  • The Royal court
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #105 on: August 07, 2005, 19:20:47 pm »
Amy!!!!  That is fantastic!!!!  Woohoo!!!!!!!!  Way to go, LUKE!!! 

Isn't it so refreshing?  You feel like a whole new woman, dont' you?  Did you do a dream feed?  That might extend his sleep time a bit.  But I think I have figured out that this is all a "baby step" process (no pun intended).  They have to work up to that 8-10-12 hour stretch gradually.  Right now, I am ecstatic with Cait going about 9 hours between feedings and about 6-7 hours sleep.  And I was so tired last night that I finally got her down at 12:20 KNOWING she was going to get up in 25 minutes to eat.....well she actually started making noise at 1:48, but I ignored her  :oops:  :oops: and neither one of us stirred again till 5:45.  Oh...well Ry did come and get into bed with me at 3:15, and I had to call his dad so that dh could tell him to go and get in his own bed. :roll:  So when I finally get one sleeping through, the other one has to be butthead and I still have to wake up!!  ugh....

AND, I think I have figured out what makes Cait sleep!!!!!!  Holy Cow, we were given a blanket sleeper, it looks like just a normal "bag" but zips up from the feet and has arm holes  (and head hole, obviously) and is made out of a fleece material.  OMGoodness, it is saving my life right now.  I put her down for a nap a bit ago and she started crying, I only had her in a onesie.  So I found the sleeper that she had worn to bed last night, threw it on her and have not heard a peep out her since.  I will be screwed when she grows out of it.  Guess I better hit my aunts up to make some copies in progressive sizes!!!!  HEHEHEHEHE, I hope this keeps up.   :wink:  I guess this is a form of swaddling, because she does not like to be bound up tightly.

Clair, how is Red doing?  Kayna, sounds as though Avery is well on her way!  Congrats!!!

Wishing everyone a sleep filled night :!:

bj

Brandy-
Super Mommy to Ryan,Cait and Alex!!!!

Offline Critter

• Showing Appreciation 137
    • The Dallas 3 Day
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #106 on: August 07, 2005, 20:34:35 pm »
No, we didn't do a dream feed, because when he is asleep, he will not take a bottle....believe me, I have tried.  I bet I could have given him a little bit when he woke up and fussed at 11, but he went back down.  Just a question, though....when you do give the dream feed, how much do your los usually take?

My husband has been SOOOOOOO great about doing the middle of the night feedings.  He's a night owl anyway, but I am one that has always gone to bed early and slept late.  Those days are long gone, but it's nice to know that I have someone here that doens't mind the late nigh feeding.

I go back to work full-time this week.  Luke went to day care for three half-days last week, and starting Wednesday he'll go full time.  Makes me so sad, but I know that it will be ok.
God will give you exactly what you ask Him for, even if it's not in the package you expected it to be in.

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline rooby-rooby-roo

• Showing Appreciation 108
  • Do what you always do - get what you always got
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #107 on: August 07, 2005, 22:29:45 pm »
Hey guys, well things are still mixed here, luckily we have had two somewhat better nights, with Red going down at 7pm, DF at 10.30pm and then through till 3am and then 6am one night and 4am and then 6.30am last night. That i can cope with!! Days have become a bit crazy as he is having his 6 week growth spurt which basically equals feeding like CRAZY and not sleeping. Hope fully he'll come out the other side of it and sleep loads to make up for it.

I cut the dose of his feed thickener in half, which has unplugged him!!! (He was constipated!) Obviously the reflux is a bit worse, but with the growth spurt upon us, i cannot tell what is happening as he is feeding loads and fussy because of that too!!

I must say, in the midst of all of this crazyness, i am really enjoying being a mommy of two babes. Yes its hard work but it is already so rewarding. I went to visit my good friend today: she has a dd 5 weeks younger than my dd, and now had a new baby 6 weeks younger than Red! She was born at 8lbs 3oz and i could not believe how tiny she was!! Red is such a hulk!! He is growing so so big - i'll have him weighed on Tuesday and report back to you!!

Kayna - loving that you're a clown - how FAB is that!! I have just taken on a new 'career', to make a bit of spending money. I am a childrens book seller! There is a brand in the UK called Usbourne books that make books and educational games/ puzzles/ equipment for ages 0-16yrs. To join you pay £38 ($67) for a set of books worth £100 to use as your display, and then you host parties, go to playgroups etc and take orders for books from the main catalogue. For every £100 worth of orders i take, i get to keep £24, and if i host the party in my house i also get 10% of the takings to spend on books for me!! My first event is on 25th Aug. I'll let you know how much i earn!!

Hope you are all ok, sleep well gals x x
Clair - Proud Lesbian Mama to:

*Ruby - spirited angel
*Red - touchy angel
*Rory - all-round angel
*Raphael - blessed with another angel??

Offline Pumajay

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #108 on: August 07, 2005, 23:38:32 pm »
Hi folks

just found this thread and spent a while reading and figure all our babies are similar ages(dd is 7 weeks old on Tuesday) so how come my lo only sleeps for max of 3 hrs at night still ?????  Also she can be awake during the day for 2 - 3 hrs without a nap, she doesn't cry or anything in fact she is perfectly happy sat in her chair watching the world go by but it seems strange to be awake that long.

Generally she comes to bed with us at about 11pm her last feed will be about 10.15 she then wakes up around 2am, she will take a big feed then and be awake for at least an hour after her feed, and will then be awake again before 5am for another feed, i'd really like some advice on how to cut out the 2am feed, any ideas ???
Your mind is like a parachute, it works best when it's open[/size]

Offline CaedensMama

• Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #109 on: August 08, 2005, 01:12:09 am »
Hi - quick question for you all since you have LO's around the same age as mine. How long are you all going between naps, including eat and activity? We are trying around an hour, sometimes it works great and other times he will cry quite alot before calming and falling asleep. I am trying to figure out if I am missing his window and trying to soon or too late or if he just needs to cry himself to calm. He is usually giving me "tired" cues - I think - by about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes after feeding - fussing, starting to "zone" or pull on his ear and arms and legs going wild and really starting to annoy him.
We usually have a pretty short "wind down" so far - we talk for a few minutes, I swaddle him and say a prayer with him and then hold him for anywhere from 3 or 4 minutes to 15 minutes until he begins to nod off. I have been trying to get him into bed awake but so far if I put him in there fully awake he screams, we usually do okay mostly asleep and occassionally when I have had a hard time getting him quiet it is all the way asleep before I lay him down.
I feel like I am maybe missing his window though one side or the other and was wondering what you all were doing and about how long he should be able to go between naps at this age. He was 8 weeks old yesterday.

Thanks
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011

Offline Critter

• The Dallas 3 Day
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #110 on: August 08, 2005, 01:28:16 am »
Pumajay - I was once in your boat b/c I thought that my son had no problem staying awake for so long.  What I found is that he stayed awake for so long b/c he was overstimulated and we had to engineer his nap times.  He's now 8 weeks old, so adapt as you will, but 45 minutes to an hour and a half tops is all he can stay awake or he isn't able to sleep for more than 30 minutes at a time.  We started taking him in 45 minutes after he woke, swaddling him TIGHTLY, giving him his paci, and it made life much easier for all of us.  Some babies don't yawn all the time, so you need to watch for "the stare".  Just a tip

Jennifer - hope that helps you as well.  My little man is on a 4 hour feed schedule
God will give you exactly what you ask Him for, even if it's not in the package you expected it to be in.

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline Kayna

• Showing Appreciation 14
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #111 on: August 08, 2005, 01:53:33 am »
Quote from: amystoker
Pumajay - I was once in your boat b/c I thought that my son had no problem staying awake for so long.  What I found is that he stayed awake for so long b/c he was overstimulated and we had to engineer his nap times.  He's now 8 weeks old, so adapt as you will, but 45 minutes to an hour and a half tops is all he can stay awake or he isn't able to sleep for more than 30 minutes at a time.  We started taking him in 45 minutes after he woke, swaddling him TIGHTLY, giving him his paci, and it made life much easier for all of us. 

I couldn't have said it better myself. I didn't read the BW before our second LO and with our first he cried all of the time. I'm pretty sure he had reflux considering his symptoms but he was also "very" overtired = overstimulated. I thought, "he'll sleep when he's tired" but then he'd only sleep for 20 min. tops and be wide eyed and crying again. Not good. With LO#2 BW has taught me that babies don't realize when they're tired and rely on the parents to put them to sleep before they get to that state. I usually start wind down after 1 hour of awake time (includes feeding, changing, etc.). I'm certainly not an expert but I can say this LO has been way easier than our first  :wink: .
Kayna
Eric DH Married 5/1/99
Daikon Neil 8/14/01
Avery Rose 6/13/05

Offline Critter

• The Dallas 3 Day
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #112 on: August 08, 2005, 23:40:22 pm »
Ok, what is the deal....ds is VERY fussy when he goes down for his naps.  We have had to do paci duty almost every 30 minutes.  It takes him forever to settle down.!  Something else that's happening is his feeds are off...normally he takes 5 oz (at least 4) at every feeding.  This morning he only took 2.5 and this afternoon the caretaker at his daycare said he only took 3.  We both tried to get him to take more but he would have none of it.  Seems to me that he keeps pooping in the middle of his bottle and by the time his diaper is changed he is no longer interested in the bottle.  He is still going every 4 hours, so I know he isn't starving, but is this normal??

Also, any other moms out there NOT doing cluster feeding/dream feed but have gotten their lo to sleep through the night?  Luke is still waking up in the middle of the night.  Is this normal too?

Very Tired Mama

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline Critter

• The Dallas 3 Day
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #113 on: August 09, 2005, 22:23:34 pm »
You are all going to think I am very silly, but I just figured out how to get Luke's picture on here, so if you get an e-mail message that the board has been updated you can all "ooo and ah" over him 

Sorry I am such a dork!    :roll:  :D

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline CaedensMama

• Hand Full of Blessings
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #114 on: August 09, 2005, 22:49:44 pm »
Amy -
Luke is so cute! I love the picture.
I think he and Caeden are close to the same age - Caeden was born June 11.
We rarely do a dream feed - he has been going from 7ish to 2-3ish and then the last 2 mornings he has slept till 6:30 after that feed. I can't complain! But I am not sure it will last.
Naps have been our struggle this week, but more on that later cause he just woke up again and I gotta go!
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)

Offline Critter

• The Dallas 3 Day
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #115 on: August 09, 2005, 23:02:56 pm »
That's about where we are too, except for last night he went from 8-12:30 and then ate again at 4. 

It's hard b/c the day care wants him to eat no earlier than 6.  I can't tell you what time he eats from day to day, except that he consistently goes 4 hours...sometimes longer.  I know that the longer he's at daycare the more regimented his schedule will become.  I hate it that he has to be there.  I know that they are taking good care of him.  They are the best in town, believe me, I did my research!

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline Critter

• The Dallas 3 Day
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #116 on: August 09, 2005, 23:03:32 pm »
Oh, and thanks for saying he's cute :-)

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline CaedensMama

• Hand Full of Blessings
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #117 on: August 09, 2005, 23:16:22 pm »
We are still trying to stay 3 hours between feedings. Sometimes he only goes 2 1/2 though. We are EBF and since I am home with him too I think sometimes he knows since he is with me he can get the milk whenever he wants!  :roll:
I am trying to get his naps a little more consistent hoping that will help the routine too - He wants to eat as soon as he wakes up and if its only been 2 hours, he doesn't seem to know the difference.
Any advice on getting him to go to sleep on his own? I am beginning to get frustrated cause it seems like I try and try and then end up giving in cause he has gotten overtired and is SCREAMING - I can only get him to consistently go down sound asleep from my arms or almost all the way asleep as long as I have caught the little tiny window of "ready to sleep".
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)

Offline CaedensMama

• Hand Full of Blessings
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #118 on: August 09, 2005, 23:18:55 pm »
Anybody else's LO "found" their thumb or fingers to suck? Caeden did about a week ago and now he furiously tries to suck his thumb even though he usually has it tucked in his fingers so then he gets frustrated! He likes his paci and usually falls asleep with it, but won't keep it in on his own, so I am thinking maybe the fingers will suffice and allow him to put himself to sleep or back to sleep soon when he get the hang of it!
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)

Offline Critter

• The Dallas 3 Day
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #119 on: August 09, 2005, 23:27:42 pm »
We are formula fed over here, so I can't help you on that one, but I will ask you if you're swaddling him.  That is the ONLY way Luke can get to sleep.  His little arms have to be bound to his sides (not on his chest)

Luke found his fingers too.  IT is so cute, but he's not very consistent.

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08