Author Topic: June/ July 05 Mom's Chat  (Read 121799 times)

Offline jordon&dylansmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
  • Toronto, Canada
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #1080 on: January 15, 2006, 01:57:10 am »
I'm wondering if any of you ladies have encountered this situation with your lo's yet?  He normally has two naps during the day and a third if there is a long stretch between his afternoon feed and bath time.  The last three days he has been giving me all the signs of being tired around 5pm, but he isn't due for his bath until 6:30 or 7 (depending on when he ate last), but he won't  go to sleep.  I end up picking him back up from his crib and then he's happy-ish until bathtime.  It's weird.   Today he was awake for almost 5 hours before he finally had his bath and went to bed....

He doesn't seem to be terribly put out by this, but I'm just confused because he was giving me all the signs of being tired then won't sleep..... 

Any suggestions?
Judy

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Livingmom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #1081 on: January 15, 2006, 02:02:30 am »
My lo did (and still does) the exact same thing. She almost never takes the evening catnap anymore--even when she starts rubbing her eyes. She is usually awake from around 3pm until bedtime between 7-7:30pm. It works for her--although there are plenty of nights that she is a little on the crabbier side.  :?
My guess (and maybe I just hope it is this) is that she is at daycare all day and wants to be with mom and dad at night so she doesn't want to waste that time napping.  :wink:
Judy
Mom to Zoey (DOB 5/31/05) and Zander (DOB 7/24/07)

Offline ry,cait&alex

• Showing Appreciation 135
  • The Royal court
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #1082 on: January 15, 2006, 02:03:53 am »
Good grief my feet hurt!!!!! And now I am so tired!!!  But aside from that, I think our party was a great hit!!  We lived in a very very very small house (about 900 sq feet with two children) and moved into a  2100+ sq ft house, so much easier to 'entertain' ppl with more room!!

We received several things off our registry and were given several gift cards.  So Tuesday will be a fun filled day.  We are going to start ordering our furniture and then going to Target to wrap up our registry!  Wooohhhhooooo!!!!

Well Cait is back to her old self, so no complaints there.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:    So I am guessing none of you use the mesh bag eating thing?  I am going grocery shopping tomorrow, so I guess I will look then.

Amy, glad to see that Luke is feeling better. 

Christine, Brock is a cutey!!

Leslie, Cait gets a rash if I use a "wipey" on her face after eating.  I guess her facial skin is more sensitive than her butt?????  :roll:  :shock:  And if she is drooling a lot, it can irritate it too.  We just try to keep her as dry as possible.  Oh, AND when we would give Ryan a bottle as a baby, it would leak down into the fat rolls on his neck and cause a monstrous rash.....poor dude.

Rebeca, sounds to me that Santiago is perfectly healthy.  Good for you for trusting you instincts and calling the dr to expain himself/herself.  WE are the only ones who truly know our children.  Charts and graphs dont' begin to tell all the facets of our children.  And I am real sorry about your DH.  We have a rule in our house.  We both can't be mad or in a funk at the same time and if the need should ever come that we BOTH have to be mad/funky at the same time, I get to go first!!  :twisted:  :wink:   Hope everything gets back on track for you soon.

Okay...that is all for now.  Have to go unload my new Corning Ware out of the dishwasher.  :D

bj

Brandy-
Super Mommy to Ryan,Cait and Alex!!!!

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #1083 on: January 15, 2006, 04:11:52 am »
bj - glad your party went well..hope the lo's had fun too!  :wink:

we had company over tonight and alecks is waaaay over tired and sleeping for like 10 min intervals it seems...what fun.  my cousin had her lo over (he's only 6 wks) and he is soo cute!...makes me wish she was still so small...or better yet for another one! :shock: no, no, not yet this one takes every last bit of attention i can give at the moment it seems - poor dh...nah...most the time he doesn't deserve the attention anyway  :wink: i know all about dh's and childish moods.
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #1084 on: January 15, 2006, 04:15:17 am »
by the way i have only heard of the mesh bags somewhere on this site but have never seen them available anywhere.

i also have noticed that alecks had been lengthening her awake time and seems to be taking one longer nap (2 and a half hrs) and an hour and a half nap instead of two long naps and a catnap...must be the age and starting to outgrow it.
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline alison toms mum

• Showing Appreciation 40
  • my little bundles of trouble
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #1085 on: January 15, 2006, 10:11:17 am »
Yep tom has mostly stopped taking his catnap in Eve now aswell, we put him to bed 30 mins earlyer and he seems fine (although he does sometimes fall asleep on his bottle when hes really tired :oops: ) iIts improved his nighttime sleep anyway.. so horay for that. :D
Alison

Offline LeslieG

• Showing Appreciation 95
  • Big sis Abigail Grace - lil bro, Lucas Haden
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #1086 on: January 15, 2006, 12:30:46 pm »
Regarding the catnap. I am finding the same thing. I tried to give Abbi a catnap yesterday and she cried and cried. I wasn't going to fight her on it. I decided to put her to bed just after 6:30pm (was nervous because I didn't want her to wake up too early) and she is still in bed at 7:30am as I type this.

So much of this motherhood stuff is just rolling with it.  I am watching a beautiful sunrise this morning.

Glad to hear your party was a success BJ! 

Does anyone else have problems sleeping?  It is great that Abbi sleeps through the night but maybe I need some sleep training. I have not been sleeping well. I think the best I have slept in the last few months was right after my dental surgery when I was taking pain killers.  Any tips?  I probably should be getting more exercise.

Leslie

Offline rebecaq

• Showing Appreciation 153
  • It's Naked Time!
    • Mac Homepage
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #1087 on: January 15, 2006, 14:52:54 pm »
Well, things seem to be smoothing out for us here.  Santiago slept well last night, he moaned a little bit around 4 a.m. but his fell back asleep soon after.  This morning though he would NOT eat his cereal with formula, he would actually hag and dry heave, I thought maybe he was full after his feed.  But dh suggested making some with breastmilk and he ate it all!  There are too many things pointing towards bf so I'm going to "forget" what the doc said and not give him anymore formula.  I'll try to intrdue if evry few days just in case and so he starts to get use to other flavors of milk, but only for that purpouse.  I'm a little worried that all this emotional upheaval (sp?) has affected my supply because I could pump less than an oz, so I'm going to see my lc this week so she can help me out.

On the dh department, I think he took a hint yesterday and make very snuggly and lovey-dovey  :roll: Thank goodness   :roll: I even got a back massage last night!!   :lol:   So today we're going to his parents house and then to the park with ds, I'll take pictures and post them tonight!!

Oh, about the cat nap, Santiago almost never has it, unless we're in the car at around 5 p.m.  Somedays he takes it in stride, others not so much, but all in all he's content.
Beca - Momma of two Mini Dudes ;D
          Wife to the Big Dude ;D
[img=http://b3.lilypie.com/w5d0m4/.png]http://b3.lilypie.com/w5d0m4/.png[/img][/url][url=http://lilypie.com][img=http://b1.lilypie.com/P8R8m4/.png]http://

Offline Critter

• Showing Appreciation 137
    • The Dallas 3 Day
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #1088 on: January 15, 2006, 15:18:19 pm »
Luke still takes his cat nap...esp when he's been at daycare all day.

We got a little mesh contraption.  I think it's made by Sassy.  It's a little mesh bag with a plastic handle.  Haven't used it yet.
God will give you exactly what you ask Him for, even if it's not in the package you expected it to be in.

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline Superman'sMom

• Showing Appreciation 58
  • Hey Superman!
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #1089 on: January 15, 2006, 15:25:05 pm »
BJ-Yea for your party, glad it was a succes. Have fun with those target gift cards. Oh I haven't tried the mesh bag things but I have seen them at Target. Right next to all of the bottles and pacifers.

Rebeca- My milk supply seems to be sensitive also. If I am majorly stressed or not sleeping it has a not so good impact. I also have to drink about 20 gallons of water a day. Aiden balked at the formula at first too. But I changed formulas around to find one that tasted better and he is fine with it now. But I think you should be fine with breast milk. I have to make sure he will take it, in case my milk supply runs low or he hits a growth spurt.

Catnaps are gone here. Aiden did the same thing, but I gave up putting him to bed adn inroduced quiet time. He still gets a bit cranky around that time so we go for a walk (weather permitting) or listen to some music or read a book.

It is amazing to me how much I have learned from Aiden. I have more patience and flexabity then I ever did. He trained me well. I feel like my job is so much easier. I am afraid this is the calm before the storm. But this age is really making me want another! It is not possible and crazy but still would be nice.
Chelsea

Mom to SPIRITED Aiden
Born 7/10/2005

Offline jordon&dylansmom

• Showing Appreciation 63
  • Toronto, Canada
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #1090 on: January 15, 2006, 16:00:58 pm »
Thanks everybody for responding about the naps.  I will try to do either a quiet time or go for a walk during that time of day.  He still sleeps well through the night, but has started to wake up about an hour earlier than normal.  It's funny, I was silently complaining to myself this morning about the fact that ds is waking up at 7am instead of 8 and I had to stop myself.  My goodness how selfish am I?!  Most people would kill to have a baby that sleeps from 7:30pm to 7am!   I have to remember that I am very very lucky to have the baby that I have.

BJ- glad to hear your party went well, the new house sounds Huge!  Where in West Texas are you?  I vacationed in Texas a few years back and I would have to say, I think it is my favorite American State to travel in.

Cheers
Judy

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline ry,cait&alex

• The Royal court
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #1091 on: January 15, 2006, 16:27:26 pm »
Judy, I have to agree with you, Texas is my FAV state....and not JUST because I was born and raised here!!!   :wink:   I actually live just North of Houston in College Station.  It is the town where Texas A&M University is based.   I think Amy is actually the one that lives in West Texas.  Do you have a lot of jack rabbits Amy?  I went to Del Rio once on our way to Big Bend Nat'l park and we all named Del Rio, Jack Rabbit hell, because we slept in our cars ( :roll: ) and when we woke up there were at least a million jack rabbits all over the place!!!  Those things were HUGE!!  Anyway...I digress.

Yeah, I think I am going to try the mesh feeder.  See if that does anything for her.

My thing with the naps is that Cait seems to think she can stay up ALL day from her morning nap till it is time to go to bed.  :shock:   And she isnt' cranky or whiney, but she does fuss the later in the day it gets.  And I think I have to lay blame at my MIL feet, because she will watch the kids for me when DH is out of town, and I am at work.  She says that she puts Cait in her crib and she does nothing but cry.  :roll:   Well I dont'  know how to tell her that if she is hysterical crying pick her up, and try again in 15 minutes.  If she is just talking and such...LEAVE her alone.  She will go to sleep.  I don't really do the CIO approach, grates my nerves to hear her crying that long and unconsolably (sp?).  So I need to work with her on that.

AND if this child doesn't start to SIT UP on her own soon!!!!  Dh says we have just been lazy with her and not working with her.  Do you guys think that maybe that could be part of the problem?  Aye, aye, aye....it just never ends.

Party was a great success, thanks to all for asking.  We only got one duplicate gift, and one of the ppl that gave it to us wasn't there for the opening of the gifts, so no one was feeling uncomfortable.  So I get to take that back and my gift cards and shop shop shop!!!  And I am ssssoooooo lucky that I have a dh that loves to shop with me.   :D  :D  :D   And the kids were even given presents, so everyone enjoyed the party.  My aunt threw the party for us and bought a beautiful floral center piece that I took pictures of this morning so that I can duplicate it with some flowers from Hobby Lobby.  I will see if I can post a pic if anyone is interested in seeing it.

Anyway...off to the grocery store, home depot and maybe Target!  :D  :D Check in later!!

bj

Brandy-

Offline ry,cait&alex

• The Royal court
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #1092 on: January 15, 2006, 16:37:25 pm »
:oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops: sorry I keep writing books....ya'll can tell me to shut up at anytime.  :oops:  :oops:

:wink: bj

Brandy-

Offline Superman'sMom

• Showing Appreciation 58
  • Hey Superman!
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #1093 on: January 15, 2006, 17:54:27 pm »
I just came form Target...spent way too much money. They have diapers on sale though.
Chelsea

Mom to SPIRITED Aiden
Born 7/10/2005

Offline LeslieG

• Showing Appreciation 95
  • Big sis Abigail Grace - lil bro, Lucas Haden
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #1094 on: January 15, 2006, 18:14:27 pm »
BJ- regarding the sitting up thing. I feel the same way about Abbi not rolling over. It doesn't bother me but my mom seems to think that this is a problem.  We didn't do anything to help Abbi sit up on her own but I have a feeling that her bumbo chair helped her get used to it.  Like I say she has been sitting for two months now but still could care less about rolling. Will she sit with support of pillows? 

Rebeca - glad to hear that you are going with your instincts. My sister is an Emergency Room Pediatrician and when I was concerned with Abbi's weight she said that it becomes a concern only when babies drop two percentage lines on the growth chart. Otherwise it is likely that the baby is leveling off and not growing as quickly anymore.  Does this make sense?  It made me feel better when she told me.

Leslie