Author Topic: June/ July 05 Mom's Chat  (Read 121923 times)

Offline sara_derek

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
    • family homepage
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #240 on: September 27, 2005, 21:15:54 pm »
Hi All,

Sounds like we're all moving into an age of more sleep!  yay for us :)

Christian is doing great.  This is my last week with him before I return to work as a 3rd grade teacher.  Having September off has been wonderful!  He has been sleeping 12 hours through the night for a week now and it is so great to feel rested in the mornings.  He is napping well and eating well and I have no complaints!  I wish I could stay home with him this year, but alas, the checkbook won't allow it! 

Good to hear everyone's updates!
Canyon 12/27/02
Christian 7/4/05

Angel#1 12/23/01
Angel #2 5/23/06
Angel #3 11/27/06

Offline Critter

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 137
    • The Dallas 3 Day
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #241 on: September 27, 2005, 22:58:43 pm »
Sara,
I am envious that you took your maternity leave the first 6 weeks of school.  I am a 6th grade teacher and were I not in a new school this year, I probably would have done the same.

I've been home for the last two days and yesterday I enjoyed myself so much that I sat down to see just how far in the hole we'd be if I quit.....I think the re-po man would show up within a few days b/c some bills would have to go unpaid for me to stay home.   :roll:
God will give you exactly what you ask Him for, even if it's not in the package you expected it to be in.

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline Joey'sMom

• Showing Appreciation 27
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #242 on: September 28, 2005, 00:47:47 am »
Wow, fellow June/July moms and fellow teachers.

I am fortunate enough to not return until November, but I'm already nervous and upset.  It's such a strange feeling.  I miss work and I miss the kids, but I can't fathom not being with Joey.  But like you say, the checkbook won't allow me the whole year either.
Mary Pat

Offline CaedensMama

• Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #243 on: September 28, 2005, 01:22:28 am »
Hi all -
We are slowly but surely getting longer naps, usually at least one sometimes 2 that are longer then an hour. And he is feeding more regular too - I think that is helping. Nighttimes are about the same - we aren't doing the DF and he is getting up usually twice, 12-2ish and 3-5ish and then up at 6-7 and often will eat and go back down for another 45 minutes. I can't complain though I would love to drop one of those feeds - we are working on it!

I would like to try and transition him to 4 hours feeds - any ideas on how to do this when he may only nap 45 minutes? Do we skip and E and do 2 S's in a period? We are already usually doing A on each side of the E anyway and he does fine with that. Not sure how he would do not eating though and being put back down. He can go 4 hours okay - has a couple times when we have been out and he has slept 2 hours. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this?

Amy - Yes- I think Caeden is teething as well. No snot, maybe slightly stuffed but drool everywhere and something, usually fingers, always in his  mouth! I bought him a teether that we put in the fridge and he loves it. My mom said I got my first tooth at 4 1/2 months, don't know if it's heritary or not but it seems that he may be an early teether as well.

BJ - I don't know if this is a good idea or not, but this is what I have ended up doing with Caeden to get him to go to sleep NOT in my arms (and walking or bouncing and shushing, etc :oops: ) - I have been laying him down in our bed and laying right next to him, usually have him swaddle and though he often gets one hand out (I let it stay out till his asleep or almost asleep) and he has his paci, which yes I do end up putting back in several times. But I figure one thing at a time! Anyway, I lay with him till he falls asleep. He will often scream or cry sometimes just whimper for anywhere from 2 minutes to 20 minutes (I think it depends on how tired he is, I am still trying to figure this out..... :? ) Anyway, I let him cry and rub his arm or hold his hand or talk to him or shush, depends on what he is doing. He will stop crying at some point and just lay there and stare at the ceiling or me and drift off to sleep. After his eyes are closed for a couple minutes I usually get up and leave. I will move him about 10-15 minutes later and he rarely even flinches as I move him to the cradle. Often during naps and daytime I leave him there thru the nap - it's easier and he is only rolling one way and has actually never even done that swaddled so I know he won't roll off. And our house is small enough I am in there before he gets moving too much anyway.
Again - not sure if this is a good idea, but so far it is working for me. He is going to sleep better and often longer and will hopefully continue to transition this into his crib. Plus as he is crying I am right there with him so he is not "abandoned" or left alone - and he used to often cry like this even when I was holding him, so I think he is just somehow calming himself this way.

Kayna - Very cute picture! I love the hair. Caeden's is still pretty light and hard to see, not much there anyway!

If anyone would like - I have new pictures on his website: http://www.babyhomepages.net/caeden - I still cannot figure out how to size them to post on here....... :cry:  :?  But there is some cute ones there!
Oh and Clair - it is easy to get a page on there - go to their homepage and just register one, it's free but you can opt for a $2.00 a month charge and get some more stuff. It's fun to help keep in touch with faraway family and even those in town!

Okay - I have gone on long enough..... have a wonderful evening or day wherever you are!
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011

Offline Critter

• The Dallas 3 Day
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #244 on: September 28, 2005, 23:37:00 pm »
Ok, we started cereal today!!!!  The boy has been acting like he's starving to death, so my pediatrician gave us the green light.  I am going to try to attach a picture to show you how cute it was!
God will give you exactly what you ask Him for, even if it's not in the package you expected it to be in.

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline CaedensMama

• Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #245 on: September 28, 2005, 23:46:13 pm »
Too cute!
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011

Offline sara_derek

• BW Devotee
    • family homepage
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #246 on: September 29, 2005, 01:24:26 am »
Oh my goodness!  That is adorable!
Canyon 12/27/02
Christian 7/4/05

Angel#1 12/23/01
Angel #2 5/23/06
Angel #3 11/27/06

Offline Kayna

June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #247 on: September 29, 2005, 14:57:20 pm »
Oh Amy, that's too funny. I love it when they make all those funny faces when trying new things. Can't wait......... :lol:
Kayna
Eric DH Married 5/1/99
Daikon Neil 8/14/01
Avery Rose 6/13/05

Offline ry,cait&alex

• Showing Appreciation 135
  • The Royal court
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #248 on: September 29, 2005, 15:22:26 pm »
Amy, that's great!!!  I love the pic!  Have you been able to figure out how 1 spoon full in the mouth turns into 2 spoonfuls OUT of the mouth????  :roll:

We actually had a great night last night, and WITHOUT  cereal!!  We got home after 10pm and there was just no way I was going to do both.  I had been up since 5:30 am, dh had a CAT Scan (he's fine) and I took on 2 other children after work for some friends, I was whooped.  Yep, she slept right through till 7:45 am.  So...the question is....does cereal make her sleep through or was it just coincedence that she started sleeping through at the same time I started cereal.  Or maybe you have an answer for a less complex question....what came first the chicken or the egg?  LOL   :lol:  :wink:

Clair....how is Red?

bj

Brandy-
Super Mommy to Ryan,Cait and Alex!!!!

Offline Critter

• The Dallas 3 Day
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #249 on: September 29, 2005, 18:52:53 pm »
BJ,
How often do you give Cait cereal?

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline ry,cait&alex

• The Royal court
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #250 on: September 29, 2005, 19:15:18 pm »
I have only been giving her about 1-2 tablespoons at about 8 pm.  I haven't started her on "breakfast" yet because she just doesn't seem to be very hungry first thing in the morning.  I don't want her to "eat" too much and then refuse her bottle and have her lose her nutrients from her milk until the dr says "YES, this is okay."  KWIM?

So, I have only been giving it to her once a day.  Once she gets a bit more proficient with the whole "eating" thing, then we will venture to more tasty things and more often.  Even though she has started sleeping through the night, I think more cereal ends up on the bib, instead of her tummy.   :lol:  :shock: 

Have you noticed/Or will you make a note to see if Luke starts to take MORE bottle once you start the cereal?  Like the last 3 days, Cait has sucked her bottle DRY, to the point of the liner has caved in on itself.  Anyway, just wondering.

bj

Brandy-

Offline Critter

• The Dallas 3 Day
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #251 on: September 29, 2005, 19:27:47 pm »
Ok, so maybe we'll cut back a little and skip cereal at his 2:00 feed....I thought he was supposed to get it at every feed.  This morning he had a couple of ounces from his bottle, then he had his cereal, then he sucked the bottle dry and I had to make more formula for him.  Wonder why that is?  So wierd!

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline Critter

• The Dallas 3 Day
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #252 on: September 29, 2005, 21:43:45 pm »
OK, tell me this.  WHY WHY WHY (and you all are not included here!) do experienced moms make a new mom feel like a complete idiot?  I swear if I have one more mom tell me that I am doing it "all wrong" I am going to SCREAM!  Especially when they ALL have different methods of doing stuff?   :evil:

I talked to the pediatrician this afternoon and here's what he told me....

Do cereal at his 10 am feed and his 6 pm feed.  Put it in his bottle or don't, it's up to me, but since he's doing fine with the spoon already, keep doing what I am doing.  Also, he said to give the solids first and then the bottle.  This last statement is what I have gotten the most conflicted opinions about.  I understand that people want to give advice, but SHEESH!  Do they all have to be so darn rude?

Sorry...I feel better.

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline ry,cait&alex

• The Royal court
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #253 on: September 29, 2005, 21:50:23 pm »
Tell those "know it all's"  this:

Yep, I very well may be doing it all wrong, but Luke loves it, he's  thriving, and doesnt' seem to be unhappy,  so I must be doing something right.  Then stick your tongue out at them.   :lol:  :wink:

And I give a bottle first, then I start the cereal and after a couple of bites , I will give her a "drink" to help wash everything done with.  I mean, I need a drink with my lunch or dinner so why wouldnt' she?

Amy, You are doing a great job.  I didnt' ask my pedi before I started Cait's cereal, but figured, I am her mother and I know what is best for her and that is all that matters.  Plus, dont' tell me how to raise my children if you aren't willing to pony up the money to provide for their expenses! 

bj

Brandy-

Offline Critter

• The Dallas 3 Day
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #254 on: September 29, 2005, 21:53:10 pm »
AMEN SISTER!!!

As for giving the bottle first vs last, we sorta do half and half.  He is furious if he doesn't get something in his tummy NOW when he wakes up, so I gave him enough of the bottle to take the edge off, give the cereal, and then he finishes the bottle.  I like that plan.  That way, everyone's theory gets used, right? :roll:  :wink:

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08