Author Topic: June/ July 05 Mom's Chat  (Read 121892 times)

Offline Kayna

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2005, 20:59:36 pm »
Thank you. I was wondering if I could push it to that. Ooops, there's one yawn better get ready......... :lol: .
Kayna
Eric DH Married 5/1/99
Daikon Neil 8/14/01
Avery Rose 6/13/05

Offline ry,cait&alex

• Showing Appreciation 135
  • The Royal court
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2005, 21:14:53 pm »
any suggestions for a baby that doesn't yawn????? :cry:  :cry:

She will go to sleep just fine if we hold her, rock her or go somewhere in the truck.  But the minute ANY part of her body hits the crib mattress, it is all over.  Well I take that back, anytime I try to put her on her back she wakes up, but if I take a huge chance and put her on her tummy she sleeps just fine.  But I do not like her sleeping on her tummy, for obvious reasons.

I think it is a "security" thing.  If her legs start to flail then it startles her.  She does not tolerate swaddling, AT ALL.  Any ideas?  Seems like all of a sudden her naps have just gone to heck.

bj

Brandy-
Super Mommy to Ryan,Cait and Alex!!!!

Offline Critter

• Showing Appreciation 137
    • The Dallas 3 Day
swaddle
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2005, 22:31:58 pm »
Ok, I thought that my ds hated being swaddled too, but then I figured out that it was the blanket I was using.  I have to use a really stretchy knit blanket and wrap him TIGHT.  I put his arms on his chest low enough so that they don't flail around and get out and it has made a huge difference.  If your baby doesn't yawn, try watching for "the stare".  I bet if you really watch her close enough, she'll yawn when she's really ready to go down...I know you have others, so that makes staring at your baby intently a little harder  :D .
God will give you exactly what you ask Him for, even if it's not in the package you expected it to be in.

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline ry,cait&alex

• The Royal court
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2005, 22:50:23 pm »
YES!!  She does do the stare!!!  LOL, I guess I will try the swaddling, but it is so hot here, that if I use something other then the thin blankets, i am afraid she is going to get too hot.  I guess we will see.

bj

Brandy-

Offline Critter

• The Dallas 3 Day
HOT
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2005, 23:04:59 pm »
Well, Midland isn't exactly the coolest place in the world and we came home from the hospital to NO AIR CONDITIONER!  Can you believe that?  I thought I was going to have a complete nervous breakdown.  Luke slept in a t-shirt and his diaper for a week.  I was convinced that he was always hot and that's why he couldn't sleep (even after the AC got fixed), then we found out he was colicky and the pedi. switched his formula to Enfamil Nutramigen....it's so expensive but it has made a HUGE difference. Once we got the formula thing figured out I started swaddling him more and he slept longer.  I keep the fan in his room on high, even though we turn our thermostat down pretty low at night (about 74).  He's snug as a bug in a rug! I don't know what your baby sleeps in, but we had our ds in a onesie for a long time and he did well.  Now that the AC is working full blast we put him in a little footed sleeper and still swaddle him.  One thing that I did figure out is that he hates for his feet to be confined, so I don't fold up the bottom corner...I just have an 11lb 5 oz burrito :-)
God will give you exactly what you ask Him for, even if it's not in the package you expected it to be in.

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline rooby-rooby-roo

• Showing Appreciation 108
  • Do what you always do - get what you always got
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2005, 22:51:08 pm »
Hey y'all!

Well i had Mr Red weighed yesterday and at 4 weeks of age he weighs 10lbs 3 oz, so that is just under two pounds gained from birth! Ruby was a slower gainer at first and only put on 12oz in her first 4 weeks so i am proud of my chubby man!! He is outgrowing his newborn size clothes, but this is mainly because he is a very long baby, with very long legs!!

We are however visiting the doctor tomorrow as i am now sure he has reflux, and needs some medication for it. As much as i try to help him through this without the meds he just seems to be in a lot of pain for a lot of the time. He has all the typical signs: He starts to look uncomfortable and cry after having some milk, he cries, pulls off the breast, wants it again, cries, pulls of the breast, etc. He spits up a lot, and seems to be in pain with it, he has wet frequent hiccups, painful burping, he is fussy during and after feeding and is difficult to get to sleep, even though i am doing everything i can, he is falling asleep then waking in pain and this can happen up to 6 times per nap so consequently i spend a lot of time trying to get him to sleep :roll: He also seems to sound very congested all the time which i understand to be a sign of reflux.

BJ, i agree with Amy, Red hates being swaddled but he cannot sleep with out it. When it was very hot here i just had him in a onesie, and i swaddle him in a flat crib sheet, i use a large one so that he cannot escape. He likes this so much more than with a blanket, and it is easier to swaddle with.

Here is our nap wind-down and it seems to be working well so far. At exactly 45 mins from the time he woke up (i time it, i do look for yawns too, but going on the clock is more reliable!!) I swaddle him, pick him up and hold him so his head is on my shoulder. I then pat his bottom and shush until he calms down and goes into the 'glazed stare'. He will fight me and takes up to 10 mins just to be still, but i think a lot of this is reflux related. Once he is in the trance i place him down in his crib, i then continue to shush and pat lightly his arm/ side (i prefer not to put him on his side), if he is well settled i will just place my arm and hand on him as not to overstimulate him, as the patting can do. I keep on gooing until i think i can leave. Note, this is not the first time he shuts his eyes, as he goes through some 'jolts' and wakes himself up completely and often i have to start patting and shushing again. Once i have put him down i try not to pick him up as i think this overstimualtes him even more.

Kayna, i think with two, we have to do the best we can. I am really working on naps especially when dh is not at work (he is a nurse so does shifts), but i have to allow for Ruby as well. If i cannot get him down (or more often the probelm is that he wakes after a short nap) then in the sling he goes. I figure it is a compromise that works for all :wink:  Do you think that Avery might need to go down before the first yawn rather than after it? Might she not be settling because she is already overtired by that stage? That is what Red is like and so i go by the clock and not by the yawns!

Anyones elses babe hate the car seat/ stroller? I feel trapped, what with working on naps and him yelling his head off if we go out i feel like if we leave the house i leave my comfort zone!!
Clair - Proud Lesbian Mama to:

*Ruby - spirited angel
*Red - touchy angel
*Rory - all-round angel
*Raphael - blessed with another angel??

Offline Kayna

• Showing Appreciation 14
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2005, 23:36:14 pm »
Yay, today has gone so good so far. I think it must have been Avery's 6 week growth spurt that sent us in a tail spin because now today she seems to be sleeping it off. She slept through the night last night even (couldn't get her to sleep until 10pm but slept through until shortly after 6am). Now today she has gone down for her naps unassisted again.

Well, all except one and I'm not sure where I went wrong, advice please. We went for a walk and she slept in the Baby Bjorn for about an hour. She woke up as soon as I took her out. About 15 minutes later she was yawning, since it was close to feeding time I fed her but she didn't fall asleep and seemed wide eyed. I talked to her for awhile and she was very smiley and cooing. Finally she yawned (about 50ish minutes after wake up) and I went to do wind down. She started crying and after about 20 minutes of trying I had to just hold her tight until she melted into my arms before she fell asleep. Did I wait too long or should I have waited for more yawns? Clair...I'm wondering if you're right about watching the clock vs. the yawns but this mornings naps worked perfectly by waiting for a few yawns first. This is so hard.
Kayna
Eric DH Married 5/1/99
Daikon Neil 8/14/01
Avery Rose 6/13/05

Offline CaedensMama

• Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2005, 23:59:33 pm »
Hi all! I loved reading your posts....sounds exactly like what I have been doing. My Caeden is a little over 6 weeks old. He was 7#, 11 oz at birth, 8# 5 oz when we left the hopsital, 7#,10oz at 5 days and 10#, 2 oz at a month old. And I know he has grown since then! :-)
I have been trying to get him into a routine, I started a few weeks ago just doing the eat, activity and then sleep routine, not paying too much too the clock, just keeping some routine. I have been trying to get him consistent on a 3 hour eat schedule this week. We are breastfeeding. He is doing pretty good and unless he gets woken up or is having a long day he can usually go 3 hours or a bit more. He has been eating 10-15 minutes, maybe 20 on one side per feeding. Occassionally when he is acting still hungry after that I will offer him the other side, but he will usually only nurse 5-10 minutes there.
Sleeping has been a challenge so far - I would love any advice you may have from your own experiences! He naps good, when I catch him before he gets overtired and I hold/rock him to sleep. I have not minded this so much up to this point and have cherished the cuddle time, but this week he has not wanted to sleep once I put him down, even if he is sound asleep. The only time I can get him to sleep in his cradle is at night - he does fine then. But anytime during the day he wakes up within about 20 minutes. He sleeps okay in the swing and great in my arms or the sling. The sling works great when we are out, I know he will sleep and be good.
Nighttime - he has been going down between 7-8ish and sleeping till 12 and then after that he has been up every 2-3 hours till 5 or 6 and then he just catnaps till about 9 when he gets into his daytime routine. My husband leaves for work between 5-6 in the morning and part of our challenge is that Kieran loves to spend some play time with him before he goes. Caeden is usually up and then talk and visit and have a diaper change. But this also means that we are up for the day - or so it seems - as I can't sleep for more then about 20-30 minutes at a time after that!

So - sorry this is long - this is where where are and what we are doing! I love to hear what is working well for you all too!

Jen
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011

Offline Critter

• The Dallas 3 Day
growth spurt?
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2005, 03:04:19 am »
How do you know that your baby is going through a growth spurt?  Do they eat more or less?  It seems that later in the day my son doesn't have much interest in finishing his bottle...sometimes he'll only eat half.  This is ok if it is around 7, but when we give him his last bottle around 10 or 11 I'd like him to eat it all since the cluster feed didn't work out for us.  He's been pretty fussy in the evenings the last few days and dh is frustrated b/c he thinks it's something he's doing since I usually let him take over when he gets home from work.  He's not doing anything differently than I would.  This fussiness just started this week.  He will be seven weeks on Friday.  Any clues?

I am going through a bit of a hard time "letting go" right now.  I have been so good about putting him down while he's awake and letting him sleep in his crib, but lately I just want to hold him ALL the time.  What's the deal?

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline CaedensMama

• Hand Full of Blessings
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2005, 03:15:44 am »
Amy - I am thinking my ds has been going thru a growth spurt as well. He will 7 weeks on Sat. He has been eating like crazy, often every 2 hours during the day. Sometimes only 10 minutes and other times a good 20 minutes or longer.  He is doing okay at night, but still getting up kinda often 2-3 times.
It has also been really hot here and I think that may be making him more "thirsty" during the day and so he wants to nurse.
Don't know if that helps.... but they say 6 weeks is prime time for a growth spurt!
Jen
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)

Offline ry,cait&alex

• The Royal court
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2005, 03:21:07 am »
Believe it or not, I am having the same prob with Cait.  Every time dh feeds her, she throws up, I feed her she is fine.  Dh got up for a night feed and I woke up 45 minutes later to Cait screaming her head off.  I went into the living room, took her from him and I am not exaggerating, in less than 15 minutes I had her calmed, asleep, in the crib and back in bed myself.  I can only guess that the ones who do most of the caretaking are what the kids are adapting themselves to and a "different" way is just too upsetting to their routine?  For instance, I sing "you are my sunshine" and it is only my tone and cadence that is soothing to her since I have been singing it since before she was born.  If dh starts to sing it, she literally boos him and gets a hook to take him off the stage.  Really sucks for us moms, this means we don't get many breaks.  :roll:

Havent' noticed too much of a spurt with Cait, but she has slept all day long.  We left the house at 10:15 am and got home at 8:30 pm.  And I have had success in putting her in her crib while very drowsy, not quite asleep.  I think my mistake was waiting till she was fully asleep and once her "position" changed, it startled her and woke her up.

Amy, are you about to go back to work or are you a SAHM?  If going back to work , maybe the impending return is causing you to be clingy?  What can we say, our kids come by it naturally.
bj

Brandy-

Offline Critter

• The Dallas 3 Day
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2005, 03:30:54 am »
Hm, well, I wish I knew what the problem was.  during the day he's a great eater...drains a 5 oz bottle every 4 hrs, but at night seems to only want 3ozin the same time period

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline Critter

• The Dallas 3 Day
work
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2005, 03:34:02 am »
I am about to go back.  I am a teacher, so hours are good...I just know I will miss him so much

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline Critter

• The Dallas 3 Day
sleep!!!
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2005, 07:49:15 am »
Yes, I know this is three posts in a row for me....but I had to share.

A friend of mine gave me a tip and it worked...I swaddled ds and put him in his crib so that his head was touching the bumper pad.  I guess it makes him feel a little more closed in and secure b/c he slept almost five hours that way!

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline CaedensMama

• Hand Full of Blessings
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2005, 09:02:28 am »
That's interesting.... I was concerned cause Caeden keeps waking up with his head all the way up there. I guess maybe he likes it!
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)