Author Topic: June/ July 05 Mom's Chat  (Read 121950 times)

Offline daisymelan

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #390 on: October 28, 2005, 01:01:02 am »
It has been a long 24hrs and counting.  I'm not sure what's going on, but Owen fights going to sleep and he used to be so good at it.  Also, he is on a nursing strike.  He only nurses for 10 minutes or so and then looses interest.  He just starts smiling and won't go back on.  I think maybe I need to get him on a longer routine.  Maybe I will go straight for the 4 hour.  With the way it's going, I think that may be the answer.  If anyone has a suggestion, please let me know.

Seaflower:  Owen used to do the same, but eventually he slept right until he was meant to eat.  But I had to do AEAS at the beginning.

BJ:  I will try that.  Wish me luck, this swaddle thing baffles me.

Well, it's my turn trying to get him down.  Hope you all have a good night.

Jodie
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)

Offline ~Jency's*Momma~

• ~Adria
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 33
    • WAHM
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #391 on: October 30, 2005, 01:41:12 am »
Jency just keeps crying as if in pain off and on all day long. He used to do this once of twice a month but now it's been for 3 days!

IT is usually when he has gas and is trying to pass some gas or trying to have BM, some times he burps with it. The only thing that seems to even sort of calm him is bouncing on the bouncy ball and giving him the paci and pat his back. Even this doesn't stop the crying though, just makes it less intense.

Any ideas on what it might be. We have Dr. App on Monday. WHat should I say to him and what should I be looking for to describe to him so that he will do something about it. My last Ped said it was colic!!
~Adria, wife to Paul 9/7/02
Momma to Jency 6/30/05 & Tesher 12/31/08

Offline ry,cait&alex

• Showing Appreciation 135
  • The Royal court
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #392 on: October 30, 2005, 02:14:24 am »
How long ago did Jency eat?  Could it be reflux?  Do you have any Milicon drops to give?  Could he be overtired?  Cait will sometimes pass her sleep window and just go nuts with the crying until she gets it out of her system.  It's like she is preaching to us not to miss her window or else with all her crying.  I was always under the impression that after 12 weeks, colic is usually gone......so you might want to look into that.  Have you had a day that went of the normal schedule?  Did naps get taken? 

Sadly enough, at this point it is so hard to pinpoint ONE particular thing that can set them off.  Good luck at the appt on Monday.

bj

Brandy-
Super Mommy to Ryan,Cait and Alex!!!!

Offline seaflower

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #393 on: October 30, 2005, 09:41:55 am »
Hi, thought I'll update you on our progress :D

I managed to get DD to feed every 4 hours the first night, had to do sh/p twice.  Last night she took a DF at 10:30 and woke up 2.5 hours later so again, had to do sh/p for 40 mins - she stopped crying after 10 mins btu took another 30 to get her to sleep. I was ready to give up since thought I'm unnecceserilly torchuring her and she is 'due' a feed soon anyway... but she did fall asleep and didn't wake up until 5am :D

Just wanted to say thank you so much for all the tips...

Also wondering - should I aim to feed her every 4 hours tonight or should I aim for 7 hours (since she did it last night)?
My little princess is 2.5 :) Textbook/Angel/Spirited toddler
My little munchkin is few weeks old and doesn't understnd EASY!

Offline CaedensMama

• Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #394 on: October 30, 2005, 20:51:47 pm »
Hi all!
Just a boring Sunday afternoon here - Caeden is napping at the moment and I don't feel like doing anything, although there is plenty that needs done! And DH is working for a friend on his office. It's coudy and rainy this afternoon. What I would really like is a nap, but I know if I do then Caeden will only sleep for 45 minutes and I won't get enough of a nap, for me 20 minutes is worse then no nap. Besides - there are 3 loads of laundry on the bed......

On a good note - Caeden slept a 5 1/2 hour strech last night  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D and then he did a 3 hour strech! Last 3 nights he has only been up 2 times a night! Oh yeah! I am so glad he is getting back into a routine.

Anyone else's LO seem to be an early riser? Caeden seems to wake for the day by 6:30, sometimes closer to 6. Then he wants another nap within a hour and a half. Is this normal or should I be trying to put him back down?
The last week or so I haven't cause DH will get up with him and play with him and let me sleep for another hour or maybe a little more! So - I have been letting him stay up and then nap when I get up. What do you all think?

Seaflower - I would say - let her sleep as long as she can, don't wake to feed. If she wakes and it has been 4 or more hours then feed her, but otherwise let her sleep. That is what I have been doing with Caeden anyway.

Adria - Could Jency be teething? They can sometimes work on teeth for weeks before they actually come thru. Is it fussy all the time or does it come and go? Sometimes teething will cause more pain when they feed too.
Are you breastfeeding? If gas is the issue - have you tried cutting anything out of your diet?

Claire - how are you doing? Haven't seen a post from you in awhile!
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011

Offline rooby-rooby-roo

• Showing Appreciation 108
  • Do what you always do - get what you always got
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #395 on: October 30, 2005, 21:11:13 pm »
Quote from: CaedensMama
Claire - how are you doing? Haven't seen a post from you in awhile!

Ugh, well its all gone a bit wrong here :cry: I am having a  of a time with post-natal depression :cry:  Have been feeling rough for a few weeks, but it got worse this last 2 weeks an i am just not coping. I just feel so sorry for my poor children, they are such happy, lovely children and i am not being the mother that they deserve right now - hence the decision to go on some meds to get it all under control, i hope. But of course the meds make you feel like  for a while until they make you feel better, so i am having to deal with a stonking headache everyday and nausea as well as feeling depressed and anxious and panicky all the time - fun!!!

Red is doing a lot better though, the zantac has kicked in and he is doing well, sleeping through the night again and feeding is going a bit better too. He just cannot cope when we go out of the house, if we are out longer than his still limited awake time then he will not sleep, he hates sleeping outside of the cot - he is too well trained!!!

Hope you are all well x x
Clair - Proud Lesbian Mama to:

*Ruby - spirited angel
*Red - touchy angel
*Rory - all-round angel
*Raphael - blessed with another angel??

Offline ~Jency's*Momma~

• ~Adria
  • BW Devotee
    • WAHM
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #396 on: October 31, 2005, 01:47:31 am »
Jency was up every hour last night and finally this morning he had a BM.  He has been pretty happy since then until about 5:30pm.  Then he had a hard time.  I gave him the paci and he calmed down.  I have no idea whats going on.  When they teeth do they seem to want their pacifier more?  Just wondering.
I have made the mistake of giving him the pacifier when he wakes at night and I think that is part of the reason he wakes up so much.  He doesn't  get it when he goes down at the beginning of the night but he does if he wakes up during the night.  Should I try not to give it to him at once waking and see if he can get pat that waking and then go from there?  It seems like if I don't give it to him he tries to roll himself over and then he really wakes up.
I don't know what to do...but I NEED SLEEP!

Offline CaedensMama

• Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #397 on: October 31, 2005, 02:04:34 am »
Adria - I hear you about needing sleep! I was in the same boat for about 2 weeks while Caeden teethed and was up every 2 hours on average. It made for long nights!

Caeden did seem to like his paci while teething, I think he liked "chewing" on it. I also got him a couple teething rings and he loved those.
Not sure what to tell you about the paci at night cause I still give it to Caeden - don't know if this is good or bad but it is where we are right now. If you feel like you can get him to go back to sleep without it without too much trouble I would try not giving it to him, but at this point some sleep is needed for you so if the paci will give him a couple more hours it may be worth it. Hard to say.
Are you nursing or feeding at all when he wakes at night? Breast or bottle?

As for the fussy and then BM - it sounds like he may be having trouble there - maybe talk to the dr tomorrow and see what they say.
I know I asked you this already but if you are breastfeeding there could be a possibility of some allergic reaction to something you are eating. Dairy would be my first guess, but soy or wheat would be possibilites too. I know several ladies that were on very restricted diets while BF because of reactions their LO had to foods they were eating. Spicy foods? Just a thought of something else that could be causing him digestive issues.

If you are bottle feeding - could it be his formula? Maybe talk to your dr about switching him to something different.

Gee - maybe we should talk during the 2 AM hours when we are both up anyway!  :D  :D  I often get on here while feeding Caeden.
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011

Offline DN

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #398 on: October 31, 2005, 13:11:07 pm »
Good Morning,

Just thought I would let you know what is happening with us regarding the "paci".  For the past two weeks my four month old was waking up every hour or every two hours.  We would go in and give him his paci and he would calm down - but once it came out of his mouth he was back up.  We only gave it to him at nap and bed time and the last week he really didn't want it to go to sleep.

Anyway my husband get's up with our little one on Friday and Saturday nights.  On Friday night at 1:30 our little one started to cry - my husband put it in his mouth and he calmed down for 10 minutes and then it fell out and he started to cry again.  We decided to try to let him figure out how to soothe himself to sleep.  It took one hour - we took turns going him reassuring him telling him he was ok (we didn't do the pu/pd - don't think it would work with him).  At 2:30 he fell asleep and we didn't hear from him until 7:00.

For his naps the next day - same thing we let him figure it out without the paci while going in every few minutes to reassure him.  Morning nap it took 10 minutes (slept for 2 hours) and the afternoon nap it took 20 (slept for 2 hours).  He usually has a hard time with his afternoon nap - but we didn't hear a peep from him.

Saturday night he cried for 10 minutes at 2:00and slept till 7:00 and Sunday he did great with his naps.

Last night he cried for 20 minutes - and soothed himself back to sleep.

So - (sorry for rambling) I think our little one was totally confused about why we were sticking the paci in his mouth - when really he was trying to figure it out on his own.

It's only been a couple days - and I have learned from experience that things can change FAST - but so far so good:)

Have a great day!
DN

Offline ~Jency's*Momma~

• ~Adria
  • BW Devotee
    • WAHM
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #399 on: October 31, 2005, 14:41:59 pm »
DN: You have given me hope!  Hope it keeps up for you!

Caedensmama:  Thanks for the info.

We never give him the paci to go to sleep at the beginning of the night but we do during the night.  The other night we let him cry at 11:30 waking and heslept until 3am!  It was great would work great for our routine as well and the 4 hour feedings we aer going to.  But ever since then we ha ve still been letting him cry at 11/11:30 and he still wakes up at 1/1:30.  I feed him at that point and then he is back down until 3am and then we usually give him the paci.  then he is upa t 4/4:30 and I feed him and then around 6ish he starts to stir so I give him the paci and then he is up at 7am and I feed him at around 7:15. I am trying to go to 4 hour feedings so I would love it if he just went from 8pm-3am and then woke at 7am.  It would be perfect.  Except I'm not sure what to do at night with dinner and stuff since we started solids.  That means he would eat at 3pm then have dinner at 6pm and then nurse at 7pm and then again at 8pm.  What would you do about this?  Nurse at 6:30 after dinner? or hold him off until 8pm since he got solids at 6pm?

Offline daisymelan

• Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #400 on: November 01, 2005, 17:54:44 pm »
Claire:  Big hugs to you!!!  Happy to hear you have found the help that you needed.  Things can only get better.... hang in there.  Your children couldn't have a better mama, you are doing what you need to do to be the best mom.

Things here have been up and down.  The sleep problem kind of corrected itself.  Owen basically put himself on 4hour EASY and since then he has been sleeping much better....  Maybe he was getting too much sleep during the day?..  still not sure. 

It's funny, everyone seems to be trying to ween their baby of their pacis and I'm still trying to get my lo to take one.  LOL.  After reading these posts, forget it.  I don't think I'll use it unless it's to tide him over at night until the next feeding... he just always spits the darn thing out.  I was hoping he'd find his thumb by now, but it's been a long time coming.  He just keeps sticking it so far down his throat he gags.  But I think he's catching on. 

Hope everyone is doing well.  Thanks for keeping us updated on how things are going, reminding us all that we're not alone.

Jodie
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)

Offline Critter

• Showing Appreciation 137
    • The Dallas 3 Day
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #401 on: November 01, 2005, 23:26:29 pm »
Oh my goodness, I have missed you girls!

Things have been crazy over here.  Luke was baptized this weekend and since none of our family lives here, I had to get ready for 20 people.  Thank goodness only two stayed at our house :-)

First, Clair, biiiiiiiiiiiiiig hugs to you.  I understand the struggle with getting on anti-depressants.  I was on them for 4 years and that was my biggest "fear" if you can call it that.  I didn't want to get back on them, but I also knew that if I needed them, I needed them.  It's like heart medicine or blood pressure medicine or insulin for diabetics.  IF you need it, you need it, and it's not necessarily forever.  Tom Cruise can go suck my big toe...depression is a real thing and meds help!!!  Many hugs to you!

I forgot who asked this, but my son wakes up at 6 or 6:30 and has a nap around 8:30.  It's definitely needed too!  I wish he'd sleep later, but we have to leave at 7:30 anyway, so this gives us the chance to get him up, fed and dressed too.

Well, he's crying, so I must go get him up.
God will give you exactly what you ask Him for, even if it's not in the package you expected it to be in.

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline Critter

• Showing Appreciation 137
    • The Dallas 3 Day
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #402 on: November 02, 2005, 01:44:47 am »
So, if they are sucking so hard on their bottle that it is inverting, do ya think it's time to switch to the faster flow nipple?  IT's taking him forever to get his bottle down and he is working so hard!
God will give you exactly what you ask Him for, even if it's not in the package you expected it to be in.

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline alison toms mum

• Showing Appreciation 40
  • my little bundles of trouble
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #403 on: November 02, 2005, 10:20:18 am »
hi ive only just found this thread...have just read the last couple of pages and its usefull to hear what other mums whos babies are toms age are going through.... i guess i thought it woul get easyer by this age, but in many ways its got harder (ive also been suffering mild depression for the past month ...im fighting it ...but thought most people suffered from it early on... i was fine first 3 months!!)

Anyway tom crying ... just 45 mins again ahhhhhhhhhh

bye
Alison

Offline joannec

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #404 on: November 02, 2005, 11:27:50 am »
Hi all, I too just discovered this chat thread tonight and recognise a few of you from the other forum topics. Great to find others with bubs around the same age. I'd like to congratulate Red's mum on recognising PND and sorting it, there's no need to suffer in silence and you are a great mum for overcoming your concerns about meds etc and giving it a go for yourself and your bubs :) Have got DS on pretty much 3 hour EASY but am looking out for the GS I'm sure is lurking - he just started doing the fuss at feeding again. Last time he did this was the 6-8week GS. I might try stretching him to 3.5 if he can tolerate it. He sleeps from 7pm to 3-4am so should be OK.  Will check in again soon
Cheers, Jo
Jo
DS - Noah born 29/7/05