Author Topic: June/ July 05 Mom's Chat  (Read 121857 times)

Offline CaedensMama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2005, 15:44:54 pm »
Oh yeah!
Caeden went to bed last night at 9 and slept till 3, was back in bed at 3:30 and slept till 6:30. Got up and played with daddy and nursed and played some more and then went back to sleep at 8:30. I put him in his cradle and he is still asleep at 9:45! This is a record for napping in the cradle - we usually only get 30 minutes at best!
I know - it may not last, but I am happy for a little progress!
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011

Offline lins

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Hello
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2005, 17:06:32 pm »
Just wanted to join in here - little Jem was born June 23rd - I bought the Baby Whisperer book on Wednesday from Amazon - read it on Thursday (whilst doing all the wrong things - I let him sleep on my knee just so he would be quiet long enough for me to read it!) and started on Thursday night.  Was demented as he never slept through the day without being rocked / cuddled / pushed in his pram - I suddenly realised that when the help dried up I would never be able to get washed again!  Results not too bad - he slept in his cot during the day for the first time yesterday and after trying the dream feeds last night he slept from 22.30 when he finished feeding to 5am - not bad for 5 weeks old - although he is a big baby - about 12lbs+.  Really glad I found this site - made me realise I am normal first time mum and not evil torturer which I had started to believe with all the crying.
Have to go and feed / bath now.  Speak soon.

Offline Critter

• Showing Appreciation 137
    • The Dallas 3 Day
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2005, 17:50:28 pm »
I am just trying to figure out when I get less tired....
God will give you exactly what you ask Him for, even if it's not in the package you expected it to be in.

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline CaedensMama

• Hand Full of Blessings
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2005, 18:13:18 pm »
let me know when you figure that out! :)
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)

Offline rooby-rooby-roo

• Showing Appreciation 108
  • Do what you always do - get what you always got
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2005, 19:23:20 pm »
Quote from: amystoker
I am just trying to figure out when I get less tired....

Tee hee! I remember feeling human again with Ruby at about the 12 week mark, that is when i felt i was more in control, we only had one night waking and i was beginning to get a life again!!
Clair - Proud Lesbian Mama to:

*Ruby - spirited angel
*Red - touchy angel
*Rory - all-round angel
*Raphael - blessed with another angel??

Offline DeannaB

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
    • My Blog
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2005, 01:56:27 am »
Hello everyone!  I just now found this thread.  Don't really have time to read all the previous posts so I'll just jump in now.  :)

So far with us 3 is the charm.  Micah is the biggest sweetheart (God knew what he was doing to give us an easy 3rd baby.....He certainly knows we went through enough with our first to last us a lifetime!)

Yesterday Micah was 1 month old.  He's starting to smile some and make sweet lil baby coos.  He especially does for his big brother.  He is nursing well and we just switched over to single side feedings.  We are working on a lil sleep training and he gives me 5-6 hours at night which is a blessing when the other 2 get up at the crack of dawn and my day starts so early!

But I'm definately worn out at the end of every day feeding, cleaning, taking care of 3 small children!  But I wouldn't have it any other way.  :)
Zachary 9/22/01  Kalla 7/21/03
Micah 6/29/05   Maressa 2/13/07

Visit my BLOG

Offline Kayna

• Showing Appreciation 14
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2005, 01:10:41 am »
Question: What do you all do when your lo gets overtired and won't go down for naps/bedtime? Avery will not sleep and quickly gets overtired (and then overstimulated) if she is not at home and sticking with a very strict schedule. I feel trapped and honestly don't have a lifestyle that lets me stay home every single day. Am I just being selfish? I see other parents out and about with their babies all the time. What gives??????????
Kayna
Eric DH Married 5/1/99
Daikon Neil 8/14/01
Avery Rose 6/13/05

Offline Critter

• Showing Appreciation 137
    • The Dallas 3 Day
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2005, 02:36:09 am »
Well, I don't know.  I am trying to figure that out myself and this is my first one.   What I have found with my seven week old is that he can stay up for about an hour and a half tops and then he needs to go down.  I try to get him down by the fourth yawn...the first two are too soon.  If I have an errand to run or something to do and I want to take him, I try to time it so that it's right after he wakes up and eats, or I put him in his car seat after the third yawn and drive around for a little bit until he's good and asleep before I get out to run my errand.  I have left an hour early to get some places, but it seems to work out. 

It will all change in a few days though because school starts soon and I am a teacher.  The day care will (I'm sure) do things differently than I would, but I am reminding myself daily that those ladies love babies and have my baby's best interest at heart.

So, why have I cried my eyeballs out for three days straight?
God will give you exactly what you ask Him for, even if it's not in the package you expected it to be in.

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline rooby-rooby-roo

June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2005, 21:23:59 pm »
Quote from: Kayna
Question: What do you all do when your lo gets overtired and won't go down for naps/bedtime? Avery will not sleep and quickly gets overtired (and then overstimulated) if she is not at home and sticking with a very strict schedule. I feel trapped and honestly don't have a lifestyle that lets me stay home every single day. Am I just being selfish? I see other parents out and about with their babies all the time. What gives??????????

Oh Kayna, we are going through the very same thing here :cry:  :cry:  Some days i feel so bad for Ruby cos we don't leave the house and she is parked up in front of the Tv all day, and other days i feel bad for Red as we get out and about and do fun stuff for Ruby which completely messes up his day. I think we have to find a balance of the two, what i have been doing is staying in the house in the morning and getting Red two good naps, then Ruby has her nap (12-2) and we most often go out from 2.30pm-5.30pm. Red feeds at 4pm ish and after this feed i pop him in the sling to ensure he has at least a short nap before bath and bed.

As for what i do when he is overtired, the answer is i have no idea!! We had a nightmare today, he would not sleep and was awake for about 3 hours :shock: before he went to sleep, and this is the kid who cannot stay up for more than 45 mins usually! Is was because he wouldn't nap without his binky and of course as soon as he dropped it he woke right up :x  So i got him up and fed him and then put him back down, well he would just not settle, and i patted and shushed for all i was worth, but he just screamed. In the end i felt i had to leave for a while just to regain my composure, i hope no one will persecute me for admitting this, but sometimes i find myself patting just that bit too hard and then i know it is time to leave the room for a minute. He relaxes no problem in my arms, and will go off in his crib, but he jolts awake so many times and comes completely back to awake that i have to start again, it winds me up no end. Poor little man cried himself to sleep today and i cried with him, sometimes i just don't know how to help him. I am torn between what is the right thing to do (ie, patting and shushing, putting him down awake, no binky etc) but often putting him down asleep or with the binky is so much easier, even if it is a quick fix.

We are definitly on the 45 minute naps though, so annoying. Even when he is not tired and gone down well he will wake after 45 mins, It is just so annoying. He will go back down but it requires another 15-20 mins locked in a dark room with an upset baby and when he starts to stir i just *sigh* :oops:  :(

Kayna, does Avery sleep in the stroller/ car seat?? Red hates them and that makes me hate going out even more! He is happy (after a while) in the sling, so when we are out he spends a lot of time in that. Its not a great idea for teaching sleep, but what can you do??!!

Amy, i'm sorry you are feeling down, this stage stinks, but just remember that this will pass, and before long you will be going for #2!!

*Ruby - spirited angel
*Red - touchy angel
*Rory - all-round angel

Offline EllieLock

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
New to this
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2005, 21:30:38 pm »
Hi there,  I've just found this forum after ordering the Baby whisperer book and not being able to wait til it arrived :)

I have a baby daughter called Nyah who was 2 weeks old yesterday.  Have been having serious troubles with excessive crying and was recommended this site.

Hope to talk to you all some more soon - must go feed her now.

Cheers,
Ellie

Offline CaedensMama

• Hand Full of Blessings
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2005, 22:25:40 pm »
Clair - I know what you mean about the sling.... Caeden loves his and usually goes right to sleep or sits happy in it. I wish there was a safe way to keep him in and drive :) I hate having to get him in and out a bunch of times as aI go around doing errands, but he tends to just cry if I leave him in the carseat! Thanks God for Wal-Mart - I often can get all the shopping done at one place!
Not sure what to say about an overtired baby... I am still figuring it out myself! Sometimes when we are out Caeden will sleep well, other times not! Yesterday was hard, it was our anniversary and so we were out most of the day - it was also one of the first times daddy was out with us for that long so it was quite and eye-opener for him too :)
I am finding sometimes it just takes longer to do stuff and to just relax and go with the flow. Not getting upset that it now takes me twice as long to get to the bank and post office cause I stop to calm Caeden down, or nurse him or put him back to sleep - it has helped me to just relax and enjoy him as a baby. I know before I know it I will be chasing a toddler!
So - hang in there!
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)

Offline Kayna

June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2005, 01:09:59 am »
Clair, I do believe we are living such similar lives right now. I feel like I could have written your post verbatim only exchanging Ruby and Red's name for Daikon and Avery.

Avery also hates the car seat/stroller on most days. Unless I catch her right when she would normally go down for a nap. I too have been just using my Baby Bjorn when out and about and that doesn't even always guarantee a nap. I have to put a blankie over top of her to block out stimulation. She is so touchy.

We too will suffer days of the 45 minute nap. I wonder though today if I stumbled onto something. Noelle (JohnandZoesmom) loaned me her swaddler blankets and one of them is made out of fleece and does not stretch at all. When Avery starts waking at the 45 minute mark she was getting herself out of her swaddle (my others are stretchy fabric) and not able to resettle herself (arms and legs just flopping around).  After I got the fleece blanket washed today I started using it again and she was able to calm herself back to sleep (since she was still snug as a bug). Not sure if that's exactly the key but will be keeping a close eye on that..... :wink:

Last night Avery was so overtired from being out and about all day (therefore not napping for crap) that she slept from 7:30pm (dh gave a dreamfeed at 10pm) until 6am and then straight back down until 8am. It's so nice to get those long nights of sleep but I wish it wasn't because she was exhausted  :cry:.
Kayna
Eric DH Married 5/1/99
Daikon Neil 8/14/01
Avery Rose 6/13/05

Offline Kayna

June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2005, 21:21:10 pm »
Clair, your avatar is adorable. Ruby is sooooooooo cute!!!!!!! :lol:  8)  :lol:
Kayna
Eric DH Married 5/1/99
Daikon Neil 8/14/01
Avery Rose 6/13/05

Offline rooby-rooby-roo

June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2005, 21:44:00 pm »
Kayna, it is so great to know that someone else is right there with me!! Obviously i wish you weren't struggling too, but it is somewhat reassuring :wink:  :wink:

I agree that Ruby is just too cute, unfortunatley she has the attitude of a hormonal 13 year old at the moment!! Is it teeth, new-baby or just being 22 months? Who knows? but it certainly is a case of tantrums and plently of tears in this house right now. Not to mention that she favours the word NO! over any other!!

I swaddle using a flat crib sheet (a standard size one) it is big and wraps around him several times, but i swear he is a magician at wriggling out if i use a smaller sheet. Have you seen/ considered the miracle blanket? I have heard fantastic things about it. One thing i do, if it is not too hot and i want him to sleep when we are in the car, is i swaddle, but with the legs out and then pop him in the car seat (legs out so you can do it up) this seems to help him sleep in it, but it has been too hot for that here recently.

We have had some stinking nights here. He has gone from waking once at 5am, to waking at 3.30am, then again at 5.30am then again at 7am. this is not good, and i am exhausted, especially as at the 5,30am waking he is not hungry and just fussy. This morning he would just not go back to sleep. He wouldn't feed, wouldn't co-sleep, wouldn't take his paci, just cried.  I was so tired and upset that i walked away from him and to my shame punched the door!! I was just so mad, like why won't he sleep?? And i am so not a morning/ night person that i cannot think straight and act very irrationally until i have had a shower and woken up fully. I was now very upset and dh was with Red. He eventually settled him (i don't know how - paci i think!) and came and consoled me.

I feel terrible for reacting this way, it is just because i am tired and not good at night. I also feel like we have regressed. It is not like he is hungrier during the day, he is not having a growth spurt so why have we moved backwards?

Napping is going ok, as long as we are in the house!! He gets swaddled and will settle by himself if i get him down in the window, otherwise forget it. We have had to resort to the paci, and still do when he 45 minute naps as there is no other way to get him back off to sleep! He has his last nap of the day (4.30pm-6pm ish) in the sling so i can a) guarantee a nap and b) get Ruby her tea and get sorted.

My napping problems occur when he 45 min naps and gets overtired. I cannot get him to sleep then and yesterday he cried himself to sleep (with me there) because i just couldn't help him. He did not want to be held, he couldn't keep his dummy in and he was a mess. What should i do in this situation? Give up on sleep? But then he is getting even more overtired for when i try to put him down later.

Blech, heres hoping for a good night tonight!

In other news (!) he is very constipated :cry: He is on Gaviscon (an infant food thickener) for reflux. It is working but it is bunging him up so much. His poop went from a normal BF baby poop to slightly thick and formed and now it is pellets :shock:  :cry: He is really struggling with it, so i halved the dose of gaviscon for one feed and almost immediatley the reflux symptons came back. He was miserable again, in fact i had forgotton how miserable he was before he was on it. This means we will go back to the GP again and get a referal to the paed at the hospital to be prescribed some zantac, as my GP can't do so.

Gosh i have got to go and achieve something else other than typing out my life story!! :lol:  :lol:

*Ruby - spirited angel
*Red - touchy angel
*Rory - all-round angel

Offline ry,cait&alex

• Showing Appreciation 135
  • The Royal court
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2005, 21:48:41 pm »
so....my dreamfeed isn't going so great, I think.

Cait will eat between 7-8pm and then goes to sleep and then about 10:30 I try to do a dream feed, but she only goes to 2-3 am.....does this sound right?  Last night, I feed her about 10:45ish and she went to 4:19 am.  Am I expecting too much of an almost 8 week old?  I know I shouldn't compare Ry and Cait, but Ry WAS sleeping at 8 weeks...and I dont' see Cait following that same pattern.  Any ideas?  She doesn't wake up at the Df.

bj

Brandy-
Super Mommy to Ryan,Cait and Alex!!!!