Author Topic: June/ July 05 Mom's Chat  (Read 121941 times)

Offline mrshamilton24

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #735 on: December 18, 2005, 03:58:30 am »
thanks to you both for the great advice.  I am exhausted but this supposrt/advie has already inspired me to keep going with pu/pd.

Brock just fell asleep about an hour ago, without his paci, but going to sleep at night is never an issue.  like i said earlier, he goes right down at 7:00 with no pu/pd needed.  We will see how he does without the paci being offered to him at all tonight (even when he wakes back up).

I also gave him another serving of solids at lunch.  He didn't have a very good afternoon nap (only 50 minutes).  But, his morning nap was great!!  He woke once about an hour into the nap, i patted and shushed and he fell right back to sleep for another 50 minutes!!!  I had to wake him for his next feeding!!  I was so happy!!  I was thinking that maybe his long morning nap was the reason he didn't take a long afternoon nap.

I am not sure what kind of baby he is.  He is usually VERY happy, playful, and content during the day.  He only tends to get fussy at sleep times.

I will let you know how tonight goes.  cross your fingers that i get more than 3 hours of sleep in a row!

thanks, again for all the suggestions!
-christine

Offline alison toms mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 40
  • my little bundles of trouble
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #736 on: December 18, 2005, 19:17:43 pm »
Quote (selected)
Has anyone tried finger foods? Aren't they a little young? I am worried she will choke. I would love to hear more about this though

Our health visitor said you could try finger foods once your lo can sit up by themselves (i dont think they have to be actually sitting while they have them, they can be on your lap or in a high chair, but they should have enough strength in their back so they dont choke!). Tom has been eating finger foods for 2 weeks now, and he loves them. We only give him rice cakes or rusks, as these desolve well and shouldnt cause choking as long as they are supervised. Because tom has always sat at the table with us he pritty much new what to do with it as soon as we gave it to him. Trouble is now if he sees anyone eating with there hands he trys to steal their food!!! Yesterday he practically mountinered over me (catterpiller style as he cant crawl yet) to get to DH who was eating apple slices!! In the end we let him suck a piece (no teath yet so cant bite off a chunk to choke on!), but he wasnt happy when we took it away!! :cry:

Talking of new food, weve just started tom on baby yogerts, he loves them! :D  As hes such a big eater we were running out of new deserts to give him (he has savory then sweet at lunch and tea) and its also good for calcium now he doesnt have so much formula. BTW apparently once our los reach 6 months my hv said they only need to take about a pint (20oz) of formula a day (more if they want!!) and some of that can be added to food!! I find this encouraging as tom will chose solids over milk anyday and i was worried he was not getting enough (he drinks about26-28oz of milk a day)

Hope you all had a good weekend! :wink:
Alison

Offline ~Jency's*Momma~

• ~Adria
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 33
    • WAHM
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #737 on: December 18, 2005, 21:37:00 pm »
Alison:  What is this Savory that you are talking about?
The only form of Savory that I know of is an herb.
I'm just courious because I've never seen a jar of baby food labled Savory.
~Adria, wife to Paul 9/7/02
Momma to Jency 6/30/05 & Tesher 12/31/08

Offline jordon&dylansmom

• Showing Appreciation 63
  • Toronto, Canada
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #738 on: December 19, 2005, 00:59:48 am »
Adria's 1st- Savoury in the case of the british folks refers more to the flavor of the food as opposed to the herb.  Savoury would be the opposite of sweet, so for example meat dishes would be considered savoury as well as peas or potatoes (not sweet ones of course).   

To the ladies across the pond- Did I get that right?

daisymelan- We started Jordon on his solids this week and he's just not that into the idea of eating from a spoon.  I'm pretty lucky if I can get a teaspoon of food into him in a feeding.  He's had the rice cereal and we started sweet potatoes this week, which I think he liked, the rice cereal is a bit bland, but I think he'll get more into it as time goes on. 

Alison toms mum- our doctor here said not to give the rice husks until 8mos. As they have sugar in them.  She is generally of the opinion not to move onto finger foods until around then anyways, so we will just play it by ear.

For those mums having trouble with their babies waking up a lot in the night, if your babes are still being breastfed, our dr recommended having dad or someone else go into the room as when they smell your milk babies can wake up even more hoping for the feed.  It worked for us in cutting down the amount of times he woke up as well as it gave me a bit of a break.  We set a clock rule, If he woke up before 3am, dh went in, if it was after then I did (he should be hungry by then anyways), of course, we still do a df.

4 more days till we begin the eastern Canada road trip for the holidays...I'm so not ready for Christmas.   Hope everyone had a good weekend.

Cheers

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Critter

• Showing Appreciation 137
    • The Dallas 3 Day
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #739 on: December 19, 2005, 03:06:23 am »
I think I am going to have to add the dream feed back in for a little while.  He's been waking up consistently at 11 or 12 hungry.  I know it's the hungry cry and not just a "hey, come in here and play with me now" cry.  I guess he's just growing.  He did ok for a couple of weeks without the df, but it's not working without it anymore.

Any thoughts?
God will give you exactly what you ask Him for, even if it's not in the package you expected it to be in.

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline mrshamilton24

• Showing Appreciation 6
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #740 on: December 19, 2005, 03:55:38 am »
Brock did OK, last night.  Went down at 7 with no paci.  Woke for a feeding at midnight and went back down at about 12:40.  Woke back up at 3:00, shushed and patted him back to sleep, woke again at 3:45.  When he only sleeps for this short amout of time, I know he is ready tobe out of his crib.  So...I brought him in bed wiht us and he slept until 6:30!

His naps are getting much better!  Today he took a 2 hour UNINTERUPTED morning nap (I actually had ot wake him for his 11:00 feeeding).  Yipee!  This afternoon he took an hour and 15 minute nap with only one interuption that was instantly solved by shushing and patting.

I think I am going to really try and do the pu/pd tongiht when he wakes at around 3:00, instead of just bringing him in with us.  I am sure it is going to be very hard.

He has had NO problems with the extra serving of solids for the past 2 days and gobbles it right up.  My new question revolves around his new schedule:

7-bottle
8-solids
9-nap
11-bottle
12-solids
1-nap
3-bottle
5-solids
6-bottle
7-bedtime

so...when do i get my necessary errands in or even just get to leave the house?  before i started with the noon time solids i would have from about 11:30-1:00 to get things done outside the house.  i could do them from 3:30-5:00, but I thought one of Tracy's recommendations is to stay home and be "mellow" after 2:00 in the afternoon.  do i have to wait an hour after his bottle to give him solids?

sorry, this is so long.  once agin, i really appreciate all the advice!

-christine

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #741 on: December 19, 2005, 04:23:36 am »
hope everyone's weekends have been GREAT - been super busy doing all this great last minute christmas shopping and visiting with family.  don't have too much time but just wanted to say love the new avator amy- so cute and yours too adria!  i may try withholding the paci too.  altho i don't know if i have enough courage until after the holidays...with all the travelling, visiting, etc that is scary enough on its own.  i read a post on one of the other forums about night wakings and they said for formula fed babies to water down or dilute the formula their lo's take at night...for bf lo's to just decrease the amount of time their lo's feed in the middle of the night...to take them off when they stop REALLY gulping the milk.  i have been trying that and she seems to sleep a little bit better - we will see it has only been a few days now - just thought u guys might be interested.
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline alison toms mum

June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #742 on: December 19, 2005, 10:55:07 am »
:lol:  :lol:  sorry! it never occoured to me that it was a british thing to call non sweet food savory... especially as ive never heard of a herb by that name!

Quote (selected)
our doctor here said not to give the rice husks until 8mos. As they have sugar in them. She is generally of the opinion not to move onto finger foods until around then anyways, so we will just play it by ear.
I think as far as finger foods go your probably best doing what you feel comfortable with, and i know recomendations are different on all things baby depending on where you are in the world!!! Im quite happy giving finger food as tom has no problem with it, although i was sceptical at first that he was old enough! BTW the rice cakes i give him have no sugar (i always check the ingredients before i buy) they are cow and gate and made especially for babies (the baby yogert DOES have some sugar in it... but ive noticed many sweet comercial baby foods in the uk...such as pureed apple... does :? , as i mostly make my own food i suppose SOME sugar in yogert wont hurt).

christine you dont have to leave a gap between milk feeds and solid feeds if you dont want to, some mums find their los take their solids better with the bottle some without. We started by giving tom a litle bottle to get rid of the imediate hunger, some food and then filled him up by giving him the rest of the bottle he tended to eat the solids more redily when he was hungry. He now has his bottle seperatly from his solids as we try to give his solids at the same time as we eat...  he also preferes the solids to the bottle so if we give them at the same time he doesnt drink as much milk!we already had a well established routine however, and if your just introducing a routine you may find it easyer to give bottle and food together,itll also give you more time to do housework (although tom constantly wants to be played with so i do very litle housework at the mo! :(  :oops: )
Alison

Offline daisymelan

• Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #743 on: December 19, 2005, 18:11:59 pm »
Oh my goodness, my parents have the slowest pc in the world.  It's high speed but i feel like i have dial up from 1998.  Anyway, it's worth the struggle to get to hear from all of you!!!!!

Amy, I remember your struggle with the paci and i think that's great advice that you've given.  The other thing I noticed jacob's mom is the short naps, but you seem to have been working on that too.

And jordan's mom.... where are you going east?  I went from Saint John, NB to New Liskeard, ON.  just curious.

We have been giving solids here still... only once a day, and he still doesn't like the rice cereal... I think we've tried it three or four times now.  Should I maybe move on to something else?  Another cereal???  Or a veggie??  I left all my info at home (arg) and now I don't konw what I should offer or anything at all.  We tried the sippy cup and he caught on right away.  Wish the food went as smoothly.

On a great note... as some of you may remember, we always have a hard time getting owen down for his night sleep, but never for naps.  Since I've been here we haven't been stressing his bed time and he's been going down at 9:30ish.  Well lo and behold... he's going down so easily.  We just put him in his crib and voila!  He is waking up now around 9 so I think maybe instead of forcing him to go 8-8, we'll just go more on his own schedule.  It's so nice. 

I love being near my parents.   They babysat for dh and I (went to see Walk the Line and loved it)  It's the first time we've had a babysitter!  It was awesome!

Ok, that's my novel for now.  But please let me know what you guys think about the solids.  All you expert BW!!!!!

Hope your holiday seasons are everything you were hoping for lo's first!

Jodie

LOL the savoury discussion!! haha
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)

Offline rebecaq

• Showing Appreciation 153
  • It's Naked Time!
    • Mac Homepage
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #744 on: December 19, 2005, 19:13:25 pm »
Hey guys, sorry I haven't been on in a while.  The Christmas shopping and cookie making has been taking up all of my days!!

Anywhoooo, last Saturday was my first night ever without the baby.  We left him at home with my mom babysitting.  I felt wierd not having anything to worry about.  And I felt good for being able to let loose, and THEN I felt guilty for feeling good!!  It was so much so that I spent all Sunday cuddling ds, like making up for it.  I know, I know I'm a spaz!

How has everyone been?  Ds is still only eating fruits, but I want to start some veggies.  Unfortunately my doc is out of town unil January and I won't do it until she gives me the go-ahead.
Beca - Momma of two Mini Dudes ;D
          Wife to the Big Dude ;D
[img=http://b3.lilypie.com/w5d0m4/.png]http://b3.lilypie.com/w5d0m4/.png[/img][/url][url=http://lilypie.com][img=http://b1.lilypie.com/P8R8m4/.png]http://

Offline Critter

• The Dallas 3 Day
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #745 on: December 19, 2005, 19:47:44 pm »
Daisymelan, I posted this a while back...

For all those mamas out there who have babies that don't like cereal...my nephew would not TOUCH the stuff and he is healthy as a horse. He ate jar food like a champ, so my S-I-L just left it alone. Their primary source of nutrition should be from formula/breast milk anyway, right?
God will give you exactly what you ask Him for, even if it's not in the package you expected it to be in.

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline Critter

• The Dallas 3 Day
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #746 on: December 19, 2005, 22:05:01 pm »
We just got home from the doc.  Luke is 18lbs and 27 1/2 inches long.  He had three immunizations and a flu shot.  I cried this time b/c he cried so hard.  Poor guy was asleep before we were out of the parking lot!

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline Critter

• The Dallas 3 Day
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #747 on: December 20, 2005, 00:27:46 am »
Sorry to do three in a row...but I had to share.  My pedi gave us the green light to start meats.  I had a jar of chicken with broth and after his first bite it was VERY obvious that he did NOT like it.  He puckered his face up and even shook.  It was too funny! I even tried mixing it with a little bit of applesauce and he would have none of it!

Anyone know if the combination stuff is better?  Like Chicken and rice, chicken with applesauce....

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline mrshamilton24

• Showing Appreciation 6
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #748 on: December 20, 2005, 03:42:13 am »
amy- Luke is adorable!!  I keep meaning to write that every time I see the pic. you have of him next to your posts.  how old is he?  how long has he been eating solids?

on another more serious note-

I was giving Brock a bath tonight and noticed lots of little red dots on his belly and the outside of his left thigh.  i saw a few on his thigh early last week but they just looked like little baby acne.  there are none anywhere near his privates or bottom and he is not acting fussy or uncomfotable.  he doesn't itch them and he doesn't have a fever.  i am going to call the doctor tomorrow but i thought I would ask other moms if they have seen anything like this with there lo's.  he doesn't have any signs that it is an allergy but i don't know what else it could be.  :?  any thoughts?????

thanks!
-christine

Offline alison toms mum

June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #749 on: December 20, 2005, 12:47:14 pm »
christine.. tom gets litle spots sometimes, almost like a rash. they are often on his face so i assumed they are a teathing rash. Probably nothing to worry about if not itchy, but to be on the safe side i always push on rashes gently with a glass, if they disapear with the pressure its prob ok but if you dont you should get your lo checked for other symptoms of meningitus to be on the safe side.

amystokertom wasnt keen on meet to start with, as i think its a bit dry (even the jars) and less sweet than veg. I mixed my chicken with pureed potatos and carrots, and he now woolfs it down quite happily, althought i only give it him a couple of times a week... i want to start slow. He has also had the jared variety which was mixed with sweet potato and he liked that aswell

daisymelan if your lo still wont take rice cerial you could try mixing some apple or pear puree with it,its too bland for some babies on its own. Otherwise you could just give apple, pear or carrot puree and see if that goes down better.

Ive got to go to the dr today to see a councilour, i was refered ages ago when i was feel.ing really down, and im dreading it! ive started to feel much better and im worried talking to a councilour will stir up old emotions! it doesnt help that dh has his work do tonight i'll be alone at home with tom until about 9.00 :(
Alison