Author Topic: June/ July 05 Mom's Chat  (Read 121925 times)

Offline CaedensMama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #210 on: September 15, 2005, 19:33:17 pm »
Caeden is usually ready after an hour, but he has only been sleeping about45 minutes - if he takes a good nap - 1- 1 1/2 hrs he can go longer, maybe an hour and a half - we have done two hours but he gets grumpy. I too have been trying to push his awake time and get longer naps..... we'll see how it goes! I think he is leaning towards spirited.
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011

Offline rooby-rooby-roo

• Showing Appreciation 108
  • Do what you always do - get what you always got
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #211 on: September 17, 2005, 12:44:48 pm »
Baby Red has slept through for the last THREE nights!!! Yay Red!! :D  :D  :D

We too are working on extending awake time to extend naps. He goes down real well, but always 45 minute naps. I can extend them about 30% of the time, so we'll get there. Of course the one he hardely ever extends is the lunchtime one when Ruby is napping too!! C'est la vie!!
Clair - Proud Lesbian Mama to:

*Ruby - spirited angel
*Red - touchy angel
*Rory - all-round angel
*Raphael - blessed with another angel??

Offline Joey'sMom

• Showing Appreciation 27
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #212 on: September 17, 2005, 17:38:33 pm »
I don't think Joey will EVER sleep through. :(  In fact, I think he's been up MORE at night lately.

It could be because he totally resists cluster/dreamfeeding.  We tried diligently for awhile, but it only made him want to cluster feed all night and through the next day.  I'm sure I'm making some major feeding mistake, but I didn't really mind because his nights weren't SO bad.  Now that things are getting worse, however...

It always seems to work out, though!
Mary Pat

Offline Critter

• Showing Appreciation 137
    • The Dallas 3 Day
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #213 on: September 17, 2005, 17:41:42 pm »
Joey's Mom-
Luke resisted cluster and dream feeds too until just recently.  He would sleep from 7-2 and wake up for a bottle and go till 6am.  I knew that if I could just get him to eat at 10 or 10:30 that he'd make it till morning.  Finally, the day before he turned three months old, I went in there, picked him up, changed his diaper so that he'd wake up just enough to take a bottle and fed him.  He took a full bottle, and slept the whole time.  Then I put him down and he was out until 6.  We've been doing it ever since and it works!
God will give you exactly what you ask Him for, even if it's not in the package you expected it to be in.

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline ry,cait&alex

• Showing Appreciation 135
  • The Royal court
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #214 on: September 17, 2005, 20:21:05 pm »
okay well I am going to go and sit in the corner and cry by myself then.....Cait will NOT sleep through the night.  We used to go from 10-5 and now we are up at 2 and 6.  I dont' know what to do. 

bj

Brandy-
Super Mommy to Ryan,Cait and Alex!!!!

Offline rooby-rooby-roo

• Showing Appreciation 108
  • Do what you always do - get what you always got
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #215 on: September 17, 2005, 22:11:55 pm »
Bj - say to yourself - three month growth spurt. I bet thats what it is, or else it has thrown her off-track and then left her with the bad habit when it left. Is she still feeding more and frequently? How many oz is she taking and how often? Have you increased this recently? Is she swaddled, in a grobag or equivalent, is it too hot or cold, does she wake at the same time exactly each night or is it random? If it is random, she maybe hungrty so you might try putting her on 2.5 hourly feeds during the day, or adding a cluster feed etc. If it is the same time everyday, it may be a habitual waking and you may need to break this habit.

Hugs to you my love x x
Clair - Proud Lesbian Mama to:

*Ruby - spirited angel
*Red - touchy angel
*Rory - all-round angel
*Raphael - blessed with another angel??

Offline CaedensMama

• Hand Full of Blessings
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #216 on: September 18, 2005, 02:43:21 am »
Caeden went to sleep tonight WITHOUT CRYING AT ALL!!!!!!!! Yeah - I hope it lasts and wasn't just a fluke. His cry time has been getting shorter all week, this morning it was just a few whimpers for about 2 minutes. So - hopefully we are getting better at this nap thing!
BTW - I have been doing 1 and 1/2 hours between naps yesterday and today and he is doing really good. I think he is getting tired enough but not overtired. He is taking 20 minutes or slightly less to fall asleep (at least for me to leave the room)

This next week I am going to try slowly leaving the room before he is completly asleep and see how that goes.

Now if we can just conquer short naps......... :D
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)

Offline CaedensMama

• Hand Full of Blessings
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #217 on: September 18, 2005, 02:45:15 am »
Oh and BJ - don't feel bad, Caeden is still waking at 1-2ish and again between 4-5 and up by 7. We don't dream feed at this time though - I just can't get up so soon after going to bed - I would rather get up at 2  :wink:
And I think Cait and Caeden are the same age.......

I may try Amy's suggestion of retrying the dreamfeed and seeing if it works now that he is older, it's been a couple weeks.
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)

Offline Adamsmum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #218 on: September 18, 2005, 04:10:40 am »
Hello everyone! I'm new to this thread and seem to be battling the same things with my ds that all of you are.  I'm a first time mom so of course I'm not sure what to do and end up experimenting too much I think.

Adam is not sleeping through the night and like bj, he used to be a better (longer amount) sleeper but for the past 2-3 weeks has been waking several times a night.  :(  He didn't take to dream feeding as it seemed to only make the night wakings worse. 

We usually swaddle but tonight I'm trying him in a sleeper.  He fell sleep okay with a little pat/shush but I'm expecting a long night. 

Any thoughts?

Offline NicolaL

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #219 on: September 18, 2005, 09:08:37 am »
Ciaran seems to be going through the same thing - he was a great sleeper - going from 8pm to 6.30 the following morning with usually only one wake during the night that was quickly settled with a soother, but last night he was awake for an hour at 2 again at 3 and 5.  My DH is very helpful saying things like "I don't know why you don't just feed him" but the truth is he is not hungry, he is just playing and grouching when he starts to get tired again.  I never swaddled him and am afraid it is a bit too late to start, but will definitely try a gro bag as he is starting to kick off his covers.

I have the same problem with short naps and was wondering if your little ones wake after a very short nap, bringing your EASY routine to for example a 21/2 hour cycle, do you feed again once they wake or do you wait?  i find if I wait until we get to three hours, he is sleepy as soon as he finishes feeding and he is the kind of baby who becomes inconsolable when he is over tired.  He also only takes 10 minutes to feed (breast feed) is that strange?  He has reflux but has never refused a feed and is thriving, so I am not sure?
mommy to Ciaran, 15/06/05

Offline Eden's Mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #220 on: September 18, 2005, 14:14:02 pm »
We just had two nights where noah went from the 10ish sleepy feed until 4am. fab! he has wanted 2 hourly feeds ever since from 6am until 6.30pm but hey ho you can't have it all i suppose. day time sleep is still unpredictable. he can and will do two and a half hours and can even wake half way througha nd put himslef back down without me needing to go in, but today refused point blank! I went in and he was clearly tired still, i eventually tried feeding him and then putting him straight ack down but no luck. he then stayed up for an hour grizzling nd being foul before i tried again and he sremed for a bit but did 45 minutes. I would love to know what makes the difference between them doing the nap and not doing the nap. it is an eternal mystery to me.  I would also love to know what signifies the beginning of the day to them because he hasn't woken up at the same time twice. sometime he sleeps until 10am othertimes he will be up at 6 and impossible to get back down again. and this is even if he has the identical night time feeds and wakings?!?!?! :roll:

Still it is settling down gradually and would be perfectly fine if we could get him happy when awake!! He is very grizzley at the moment whether he has attention or not. :roll:
Clare
Eden:

Noah:

Jude:

Offline ry,cait&alex

• Showing Appreciation 135
  • The Royal court
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #221 on: September 19, 2005, 14:41:46 pm »
Hello....my name is Brandy.....and (gasp, shock, horror) I fed my 14 week old cereal!!!!!   :shock:

And WOOHOO she slept from 9:45 pm to 7:30 am, nonstop.  Do I feel guilty about this???? Heck no!!!!   I figure, I am her mother and if I felt as though it would be detrimental to her well being, I wouldnt' have done it, but she was evidently starving through the night, and last night she didnt'.
Hopefully none of you are cringing when You read this, but to each his own.
bj

Brandy-
Super Mommy to Ryan,Cait and Alex!!!!

Offline sara_derek

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
    • family homepage
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #222 on: September 19, 2005, 17:47:39 pm »
B.J. - you kill me :)  Glad  you got some rest, and yes, to each his own!

Well, we had a success here this morning...Christian put himself to sleep ALL BY HIMSELF for his nap just now!  We did wind down and then I put him in his crib, patted for about 30 seconds and left.  He moaned himself into dreamland...YAY!!!!!!!!!! 

Just wanted to share the good news.

Sara
Canyon 12/27/02
Christian 7/4/05

Angel#1 12/23/01
Angel #2 5/23/06
Angel #3 11/27/06

Offline CaedensMama

• Hand Full of Blessings
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #223 on: September 19, 2005, 18:03:48 pm »
We did it finally.......

Caeden rolled over this morning - back to front - all by himself!!!!

And he has been settling for his naps so good the last few days, very little crying, maybe a minute or so and then quiet till he falls asleep. I have been staying with him till he was asleep, just there or my hand on his chest, but he just went down again, and the phone rang so I left him, it was DH so we talked for a while, I replaced the paci once while we talked but didn't stay in the room and he is now out ALL BY HIMSELF!

Oh yeah - I think this will be a good week!  :D  :D  :D  At least I am feeling encouraged!
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)

Offline Critter

• Showing Appreciation 137
    • The Dallas 3 Day
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #224 on: September 19, 2005, 21:31:56 pm »
BJ you are tooooooooooooooo funny

The full moon screwed us all up last night.  Luke was up every hour crying.....I am ready to snooze!
God will give you exactly what you ask Him for, even if it's not in the package you expected it to be in.

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08