Author Topic: baby won't eat homemade veg  (Read 3276 times)

Offline Mia's Mum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
baby won't eat homemade veg
« on: July 18, 2005, 09:44:54 am »
I started weaning my daughter while we were on vacation using store bought jars of baby food and now I cannot get her to eat any veg puree that I make. She will eat fruit no problem but refuses to eat veg other than store bought no matter what I offer. I really want to be able to make my daughters food myself, as I know it is more healthy. I really hope that someone can suggest a solution. Help!?!

Offline Samanthas mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 11:10:26 am »
Hi,

By the look of our lilypie tickers our dd's were born only 1 day apart!

It does seem strange that your dd will eat fruit but not homemade veg but that aside I suppose in some ways trying to get her to eat homemade veggies instead of jars is like trying to introduce a new food as the tastes are so different.

Have you got Annabel Karmels Superfoods for Babies and Children? I have found it invaluable. It gives some great combinations for foods - some most people would probably never even think of but based on my daughter babies seem to love. The flavours of some of the veg purees in the 6-9 month section are so nice that I have had to stop myself from stealing her food! :lol:

Tried her on a fish puree last night and she loved it. I thought she might hate it as I don't like fish and it is quite common for babies to reject fish. The way Annabel does her recipes however means that new flavours aren't too overpowering and it gives the baby a gentle introduction to them.

Might be worth a go. If you want to try a few of her recipes before buying the book let me know and I will PM you a couple of her recipes that I thought were really good.

If you've got the book already I haven't been much help!! My only other suggestion would be to keep trying to introduce homemade stuff slowly and hopefully she will eventually get a taste for it and prefer it.

Good Luck   :)
Sam's Mum

Offline hollyandchloesmom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 11:27:47 am »
I've got a spare copy of her book the one with the menu planner in if you want me to post to you let me know as we are in the uk as well - no charge of course would like it to go to a good home.
jane
dd1 - chloe 24.4.2
dd2 - holly 18.3.5

Offline hollyandchloesmom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 12:06:14 pm »
Hope you don't mind me posting again, had a few ideas.

1.  She may be taking the fruit as it is smoother, if that is the case then add a small amount of the cooking water as this will make it a better consistency.

2.  Try some of the sweeter vegetables i.e. carrot, butternut squash, parsnip, swede and turnip.  Carrot and swede makes a good comination.

3.  Also why don't you try add a bit of baby rice to the veg and make a creamy veg.
jane
dd1 - chloe 24.4.2
dd2 - holly 18.3.5

Offline evanskimberley

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 118
  • Kent, GB
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 13:38:10 pm »
What about adding some of your home cooked veg to the jar stuff, then gradually increase yours, to wean her off the jars.

Another good book is the M&S version of Annabel Karmel. Excellent recipes, colourful, great advice, only a fiver!!!

BTW, my DD is the other way, won't touch a jar!!!
Kimberley

Offline Dina

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 14:25:50 pm »
Try making pureed carrots, my baby boy loved this.  The only thing he would eat was sweet stuff because I weaned on on cereal (fruit flavoured), then I tried carrots as they are quite sweet.

He loved them, if your baby doesn't like it, try again the next day until she gets used to it.

Then add another vegetable to the carrots, like potato, or cauliflower or peas.
A Very Spirited Aries Boy
Born: 24th March 2005