Author Topic: Am I the only mum with a 13mth old who eats pureed food?  (Read 7886 times)

Offline katie6579

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Am I the only mum with a 13mth old who eats pureed food?
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2005, 19:11:39 pm »
Hi Ladies,
I'm glad that was somewhat useful to you.

Julie, to watch for chewing, see if his mouth/jaw goes up and down or is he is just swallowing. Usually the swallowing is pretty obvious b/c it's the whole bite as once. My son couldn't eat a chip either, if he lets me put anything hard in his mouth he either dissolves it or swallows it whole.

Catharine, yes it sounds like your dd is doing similar stuff. Yes, she said put food on the brush, or leave it plain, either way, or both even. The Nuk brush we have doesn't have bristles, just little nubs, so it's easier to clean. I think you can buy them at the drug store? Not sure. Anyway she said she thought in a few weeks or so he should be munching more, if we keep up with the brushing/massaging.

I'll let you know if I come up with anything else tonight.

hth! :D
katie, mom to jack michael, 6/19/04

and alexander james, 2/6/06

Offline jubee

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2005, 03:07:17 am »
Thanks for all of the great information Katie!  I gave our little one a toothbrush tonight.  He happily put it in my mouth but did not put it in his own.  I will get a Nuk brush and see if he'll like that better.  He does spend some time chewing on his bottle nipple if I let him, most of the time I take it away because I have heard it is "bad" to let them think they can carry it around all day.  Possibly it would be good to let him chew away, the more chewing the better??? :D I have another appointment with our ped tommorow.  I want her to just let him have a referal so that he can be properly evaluated.  He has only started to finger feed within this last month.  Before that not even a cherrio went into his mouth.  Did the OT say how long babies typically stay in that early stage of learning to eat, sucking till things dissolve, before they learn to chew.  I just don't know if I am jumping the gun and expecting him to learn to chew too quickly or if he should know by now :?: Is a month enough time :? Okay well enough thinking out loud for now :D   Hope your seminar went well.
Julie

Offline katie6579

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2005, 03:46:51 am »
Hey Julie,
I don't think there is a specific time frame as all kids are different. (I can't remember, how old is he?) Sounds like what you are doing is good! I think the bottle thing is more b/c having milk constantly in their mouth causes tooth decay, if it's empty what the heck? :D

Definitely push the referral, some docs are harder to convince than others but if nothing else then you will have another opinion. Keep us posted!!!

One thing from the seminar, kids all follow more or less the same sequence of doing things, but not always at the same times, if that helps. (regarding food and just about everything else!) ;)

Offline jubee

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2005, 19:00:49 pm »
Thanks Katie,

Well we went to the doctor again today and again NO REFERAL! She gave me the phone number of a nurse that supposedly may be able to help.  She said that we need to cut back on formula and that I should be firmer about offering him what I want him to eat.  I get so frustrated because I do offer what I want him to eat, he just doesn't eat it!  I know that he does not know how to chew and oh how I have tried with the spoon feeding to no end.  I refuse to get pushy with him because it does not do any good.  Basically the doctor is suggesting that I let him go hungry for a couple days and then he'll magically eat I suppose!  I have tried that before and his sleep schedule got very messed up along with no weight gain which was very concerning to his previous pediatrician.  I don't know what to do, I am at a loss.  Any advice from you guys would be great.  PS he is 13 months old.
Thanks again.
Julie

Offline katie6579

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2005, 21:09:01 pm »
Julie, based on what they said at the seminar last night, what your dr. suggested is really not a good idea, and it seems like you know that. Frankly I don't understand the hesitation- WHY NOT??? It doesn't seem like he is magically going to chew or he would by now! And making him go hungry b/c he doesn't know how to chew IMHO is NOT respectful or even appropriate! There are a lot of steps involved in eating/chewing, it is not simple. Grrr the more I think about this it's making me mad for you! I wouldn't cut back on formula- although as I say that, how much does he take? And I take it you haven't switched over to whole milk yet- any reason why? What sort of solid schedule is he on btw? Nutrition is the primary concern here, right? esp. if you are concerned about his weight or him losing weight. (been there when mine was younger, scary!!!) So as for advice, I would say either DEMAND a referral in no uncertain terms or find someone else who will give you one. From what I have learned, at this age, if he is not chewing there is a reason. Anyway, let me know what happens!!

Offline Catharine

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2005, 06:54:44 am »
Hi Julie,

Listen to your gut feeling. I believe we're all trying everything we can to help our LOs eat and having someone say that you have to be 'firmer' gets me quite angry.

I agree with cutting back milk if he is drinking a lot more than 500mls a day. This worked for us when my dd was 9mths old plus I started with solids first then milk. I don't agree with being firmer, it doesn't work even they are hungry, its just causes lots of tears for the LO and stress for mum, and I say this from experience. It will effect their sleep and you really don't want create more problems.

My dd could be teething today and is rejecting all her favourite pureed food, so I've been feeding her baby rice cereal & yoghurt, the only things she'll eat without complaints. At least we're not stressed, there's no tears and I know its not because she's hungry if she gets cranky later on.
Cheers,

Catharine

Offline jubee

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2005, 21:34:23 pm »
Hi Katie and Catherine!

Thanks for your support and advice.  I know for a fact that being "firm" with him does not help it only hinders our feeding relationship. He actually refused to eat anything besides the bottle around 11 months old.  He did not want to be fed and did not have any interest in finger food. He is 13 months now and looking for some independence.  Everything I have ever read says not to insist that your child eat anything.  Right now he is getting about 24 oz of milk a day, sometimes less /sometimes more.  I also give him pediasure at night before he goes to sleep.  My previous pediatrician recomended this while he wasn't eating much solid food.  She said that if he drinks it before bed it shouldn't really affect his eating during the day as their tummies empty out over that 10-12 hours they are asleep.  Right now his schedule looks like this:

7 am 8 oz milk

10:30  solids (usually eats very little, couple bites cereal, couple bites of what ever I am eating if its something he likes and can handle today he tried pancake but did not seem to be impressed enough to take another bite, sometimes a little toast if I break off small pieces)  He also has little snack bites after this of those gerber animal cookies.  I would love for him to eat eggs, but he doesn't seem to be able to deal with the texture or amount of chewing required.

12:30 8 oz milk

1pm nap (usually 2 hours)

4:30 solids (today he ate 5 or 6 small pieces of graham craker spread with peanut butter and 5 or 6 bites of yogurt and some milk about 5-6 oz in his sippy)

7pm solids (I try to get him to eat some of what we are having for dinner but he usually doesn't really touch it much, he ate a bite of cooked carrot yesterday but wouldn't try anymore)

7:30 snack a little more cookie/cracker with a little milk

bath and bedtime with pediasure 8 oz

He doesn't in general seem to have the appetite of some kids his age or maybe I am wrong???? His weight is good, 75th percentile and height off the charts.  He is by no means a chunky baby though. My husband and I were noticing today that when he eats something he puts it in his mouth, closes his lips, and it looks like he flexes his jaw muscles and moves them up and down a bit.  But it looks nothing like the very obvious open mouth chewing I see most lo's do.  He is obviously behind in this department.  He did not start finger foods of ANY kind, not even cherrios till 12 months old. Only recently has he stopped gagging.  Of course I only give him things that require a little mushing in his mouth, no meat here! Hopefully he'll improve with time, but I would really like a professionals opinion!!!!!! 

Let me know what you guys think/ any thoughts suggestions would be appreciated.
Julie

Offline katie6579

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2005, 02:39:29 am »
Hey Julie,
I totally agree with you, of course you don't want to turn this into a battle. No  forcing food!!! :)

Just a few thoughts on his schedule- ours was similar not too long ago but the suggestion was made to offer him smaller meals more frequently, so that if he doesn't eat much at one there's not as much pressure, the next meal is only 2 hours away. This also makes meal times shorter (ours used to be about 30 min, or more!! now more like 10) and not such a big deal. Here is what our schedule roughly looks like now:
630- 8 oz bottle of milk
830- breakfast
1030- snack
1230- lunch
230- snack
430- dinner
600- 8 oz bottle of milk
The meals/snacks are all about the same size. So far it's working out well for us. Even though it's mostly soft food, I still offer him finger food to play with while I feed him.

As far as quantity, it really varies from child to child, but as long as his weight is steady, however much he eats should be fine. My son is 50-75% weight and 75-90% height, but isn't "chunky" either.

What about purees, will he still eat those? Does he still let you spoon feed him, or try to do it himself at all? I'm thinking for the time being maybe he could still do purees, for the sake of nutrition and variety? I also got some tips on making balanced meals at that seminar, if you want I will post.

Julie, I'm also curious, how is he doing with everything else, such as communication/speech, motor, etc.? Sometimes these things occur alone, sometimes with other issues. Just wondering.

Quite the discussion this is turning out to be!!! :D

Offline jubee

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2005, 03:23:42 am »
Thanks Katie I will try the shorter/smaller meals more often.  That way no one has to feel like "you better eat :D "  As far as motor skills goes I think hes right on track, walking up a storm and crawling/climbing up on everything he can.  The other day he put his little keyboard/piano infront of the couch and used it as a step stool to climb up, too funny.  He throws the ball for the dog and is in to just about everything, the house is definitely child proofed now.  He is very good with his hands too.  As far as talking, no first words yet, expcept for what sounds like "dog", when he is refering to our dog.  He sounds like he is talking, but you know its just baby talk. The only thing I was concerned about for a while was that he didn't crawl until he was 10.5 months, but that concern has passed. He just never even attempted to crawl until he was sure he could.  He never did that commando crawl I hear Moms talking about. Walking he took to very quickly after crawling.  Maybe he'll be late with chewing too?(wishful thinking)  The two are probably not connected in anyway. Let me know about any information you have.  Talk to you soon.  You help is much appreciated.
Julie

Offline jubee

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2005, 00:24:59 am »
Hey Katie and Catherine,

The shorter smaller meals are working out pretty well for the time being! :D  Ds actually fed himself today with those "little dippers" that gerber makes - like a spoon but easier to manipulate. He was so surprised and proud of himself.  I have not seen him that happy at a meal time ever! He also tried and liked mac n cheese.  Suprisingly he ate the noodles just fine.  I also bought those nutrigrain bars filled with yogurt that another mom recommended on a different previous post and they were easy for him to chew and swallow.  No such luck with a piece of string cheese though, gagging :!: Gagging :!: At least he is trying.  I figure the more things he eats the better he'll get at it :?:   Talk to you guys soon.
Julie

Offline katie6579

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2005, 01:10:34 am »
Hey Julie,
That is awesome!!! Good for you guys. Sounds like he is doing really well overall, maybe that is why your dr was hesitant about the referral. Anyway I'm glad you guys are having success! Keep us posted! :D :D :D

PS- what a cutie he is!!!

Catharine, how are things going for you guys???

Offline Catharine

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2005, 06:05:40 am »
Hi,

Sorry for the late reply.

My dd's had a fever for the past 2-3days hence she has lost all appetite for food, even has no interest her favourite comfort food, rice cereal & yoghurt.

She's better today but still not eating much, so I had to resort to giving her stage 1 baby jar food which she seems to tolerate, I guess we'll have to stick with that in the meantime.

I've noticed more that she really doesn't chew her food down enough because with food like pineapple, toast, raisins, and cake all she does is chew for a while then spit it out. I can see the "remains" have been chewed or squashed to a plup but she just won't swallow it.

Good work Julie! Unfortunately I can't get gerber products here but I'll give the nutrigrain & mac n cheese a try. Is it those instant ones that come in a box?

My dd's walking & talking a lot as well and she was a late crawler, only did it for a short while then started walking. Hopefully the chewing will just click  one day soon.
Cheers,

Catharine

Offline jubee

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2005, 00:20:56 am »
Hi Catherine,

Sounds like the teething is a bit rough for dd.  Our ds had a heck of a time when he went through a big teething spell at around 10 months.  It seemed to last a very very long time.  It was like one new tooth after another, it was around that time that he started refusing to eat from a spoon I think because his mouth was pretty sore. Anyways the macaroni was the instant kind, I had made it for myself and dh.  I know its not the best for a lo, lots of sodium, but I let him eat it because he wanted to.  These days I figure if he wants to try something I'll let him.  Beggers can't be choosers right :!: Ok, talk soon!
Julie

Offline jubee

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2005, 21:53:33 pm »
Just wanted to see how you guys are doing and if you have had any success with the nuk brushes?
Julie

Offline Catharine

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2005, 07:00:48 am »
Hey,

My dd's recovered from her fever and it wasn't teething, probably a slight infection. She still insist on stage 1 jar food but now that her appetite is back, I'll give her home cooked food first then the jar if she kicks up a fuss.

There has been a slight improvement with real food. She's beginning to want to eat my food; yesterday she had some rice, egg & mince. She didn't spit it out and kept coming back for more. :D So now I know she can chew but maybe just not very well.

We tried giving her a spoon to feed herself and she understands the concept, gave it a few tries then lost interest. Will keep offering the spoon. I figured that I'll let her go wild & get dirty with her food at dinner times since bathtime will be soon after.

She's beginning to eat bits of toast with peanut butter, cornflakes, grapes (spits out the skin) and museli bars (thanks Jubee for the recommendation, she likes it a lot).

I noticed that I have better luck with finger food when she's not in the high chair. She must get bored just sitting there and starts tossing the food to the ground. If she's walking around and I leave a bit of food close to her or offer it to her then she'll keep eating & even comes to me for more. Is that a bad habit in the making?

How's everyone else doing? Keep the ideas coming.
Cheers,

Catharine