Author Topic: What if they already know how to self-soothe?  (Read 2161 times)

Offline Liam and Shane's Mommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
What if they already know how to self-soothe?
« on: July 25, 2005, 21:06:36 pm »
My 12 week ds has been able to find his fingers for sometime now and self-soothe but he's not satisfied with that during the day.  I keep hearing about using pat/shush until they learn how to self-soothe at 3 mos.  Will they develop other techniques beyond that to self-soothe as they get older?

Also, I know I've asked this already but it wasn't really answered.  If they don't settle with pat/shush(and I'm not sure how long you're suppose to stick with it at any given time) and you end up picking them up, do you not then end up in routine of p/u and p/d which you're not suppose to do until they're like 4 mos.?

Liam 2001/12/22

Shane
2005/05/12

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
What if they already know how to self-soothe?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 02:41:08 am »
Quote (selected)
My 12 week ds has been able to find his fingers for sometime now and self-soothe but he's not satisfied with that during the day
  I am not sure I understand - what do you mean not satisfied with that?

Shh/pat is an alternative form of sleep training.  Instead of using CIO or controlled crying, you are staying with your child, while you are giving them opportunities to self soothe.  If used correctly, then it's a teaching tool.  Yes, they will develop their own special way of falling asleep independently, the self soothing is the tool - independently is the goal.

Tracy recommends you shh/pat until they fall asleep or if waking early from a nap - until the scheduled nap time is over (usually 45min if they are taking short naps).  Some say to do it for 20min.

Quote (selected)
you end up picking them up, do you not then end up in routine of p/u and p/d which you're not suppose to do until they're like 4 mos.?
.  Again I am not clear what you mean, can you please explain and maybe I can clarify.  When are you picking them up?  Are you actually doing Tracy's tech. of pu/pd or do you mean just picking them up because they are very upset.

Tracy does a much better job then I of explaining both of these tech. in great detail - it is in her new book ch. 5 & 6.  Have you read, i highly recommend it.