Author Topic: Cluster Feeding  (Read 3062 times)

Offline Critter

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 137
    • The Dallas 3 Day
Cluster Feeding
« on: July 23, 2005, 01:39:04 am »
My son is six weeks old today and I am trying out the cluster feed for the first time tonight.  We have one problem that seems to persist....he goes down for a nap about 4 (sometimes doesn't go to sleep until 4:30 or 5), wakes up at 6 or 7.  At this point we feed him give him his bath and try HARD to keep him awake.  He wants to go right back to sleep after his bottle.  The book suggests to feed at 6, then again at 8 and then do the dream feed at 10:30 or 11:00.  I am assuming that if Luke doesn't wake until 7, feed him, then we give him his bath at 8:00, feed again at 9:00 and do the dream feed at 11:00.  Is this correct?  Also, how much can I expect him to eat at 8 and then again at the dream feed?  He normally takes five ounces every 4 hours or so.  Do I give him a four ounce bottle at 8 and just let him eat as much as he wants, or keep him awake for a full feeding and then just give approx two ounces at the dream feed?

Help!
Amy
God will give you exactly what you ask Him for, even if it's not in the package you expected it to be in.

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline Mariek

• Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
Cluster Feeding
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 14:58:01 pm »
Hi Amy

7, 9 and 11 should be fine for your cluster feeds. Basically you're trying to tank them up with as much as you can to get them to go longer through the night so if you normally make a 4 ounce bottle I'd do that and see how much he will have as its the first try. If you know after a few days that he'll only take 3 oz then you can make up a smaller bottle.

Hope that makes sense.

love
Marie

Offline Critter

• The Dallas 3 Day
cluster
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 15:03:37 pm »
Well, I have decided not to cluster feed anymore.  We tried it twice and it just made ds mad more than anything else.  He usually has a five ounce bottle around 11, and I think he's just too young to sleep all the way through the night anyway. He usually wakes around 2:30 or 3 for another feeding and then goes right back to sleep. 

Thanks for the advice, though.  I will keep it in mind as he gets a little older.
God will give you exactly what you ask Him for, even if it's not in the package you expected it to be in.

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline kellyhushhh

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Cluster Feeding
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 19:57:16 pm »
Hi my ds is seven week. the cluster feeding never worked for me. He has a feed at 4pm goes to sleep at say 5pm until 6pm then i bath him then give him a feed of about 5/6 ounces and hes in bed no later than 7.15pm then we dream feed at 10.30pm. He then sleeps until 4pm except this morning which was 5.45am.That way you have your evening from 7ish rather than messing about feeding at 8 or 9pm. xx
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/j/judeethan  PASSWORD JUDE

url=http://lilypie.com][/url]

Offline Critter

• The Dallas 3 Day
dream feed
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 02:43:56 am »
Do yours sleep through their dream feed?  Mine's awake at that time anyway, so it's not really a "Dream Feed"

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline kellyhushhh

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Cluster Feeding
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 10:37:44 am »
He starts to murmur at around 10ish, if i left him i think he would probably go back to sleep, im not sure and i dont think i would not give the dreamfeed as i think he would defianely wake around midnight wanting to be fed. Sometimes when i get him from his cot for the dreamfeed he keeps his eyes shut and just drinks his bottle, other times he is wide awake but goes straight back to sleep whilst feeding. x
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/j/judeethan  PASSWORD JUDE

url=http://lilypie.com][/url]