SLEEP > Night Wakings

13 wks and waking at midnight

(1/3) > >>

Claire Marie's mommy:
This is my first post and I have so many questions!  My lo is 13 wks old and goes down for bed at about 8 pm. We do not dreamfeed.  She used to sleep until around 1 or 2 am.  At this first waking, I would give her the paci and she would fall back to sleep until around 3 or 4 am when she woke for a feed ( I know this a long time).  Then she would usually sleep until 5:30 or 6 am, when I would feed again and put back down until 7 or 8 am.  At this time we would start our day.  About 2-3 wks ago, she began waking between 12 and 1 am and NOT taking the paci.  I figured it was the 3mo growth spurt and fed her the first night (couldn't put her back down hungry) and then tried to get in an extra feed during the day.  We are breastfeedign. Since then, things have been pretty erratic.  She is still waking early, sometimes as early as 11 or not until 1:30.  Could she still be going through the growth spurt?!  Should I feed her if she wakes this early or is that reinforcing the wake?She is pretty difficult to settle.  Any advice would be helpful.  Thanks

Onewoman:
Yes it's confusing!! :roll: I am having the same problem - see my post Everything's Changed - in Breastfeeding Forum. Maybe we can sort this one out together??!!

rachelle:
I think it could very well be a growth spurt.  With both of my girls, at growth spurt time, in order to increase my supply, I had to feed ever 2 hours during the day.  I would try to do that one day and see if it helps.

Also, she could be getting ready to roll over or if she's rolling over already, that could be it.  Even if she's not rolling over in her sleep, it could still keep her awake.  They tend to get this urge just to move.  I found a good, tight swaddle to be VERY important and useful during this time!

HTH

Claire Marie's mommy:
Thanks so much for the quick replies.  She could be getting ready to turn over.  She hasn't yet, even during the day, but last night she was really moving and nearly spun herself around in the crib.  She is swaddled in a Cozy Cocoon.  It's like a sock made out of stretchy cotton.  She can still move, but it keeps her limbs from getting out of control.  I leave one arm out, as she has begun to suck on her fingers and is sometimes able to resettle.  Other times I think it keeps her awake because she can't quite get the thumb. 
I'm going to try feeding every 2 hours  during the day to see if that satisfies her.  If she continues to wake at 12, 3 and 5,  should I try to drop the first feed, making her first stretch 6 to 7 hours? Or should I try to drop the middle, giving her 2 stretches of about 4 hours?

Ruby's mommy:  I'm sorry that you are having the same problems, but it is nice to know that I'm not alone!  Have you moved to a four hour schedule yet?  If so, has it helped.  My DD is a short napper also.  Usually 45 minutes, but sometimes she surprises me with 90 min!

Onewoman:
As feeding more in the day didn't help (she just won't take anything at 2.5 hrs), I am trying to move the feeds further apart - trying for 3 1/4 - 3 1/2. I will let you know how it goes! :lol: LAst night was the same: had her last daytime feed at around 5.30 - 6.15, woke up 10.15, 1.30, 4.00 and 6.15. It's the same pattern she had as a newborn! The last time I tried giving her more at the 10 pm feed she still woke up 3 hours later! SO still not sure what to do. I did read another post on growth spurts at this age and one mum said it lasted 2 weeks, so I think I will just go with it.

I'm sure it's not a sleep issue as Ruby can get to sleep on her own and settle herself, as I often hear her doing about 9 pm. Also, she is crying when she wakes at night (which she doesn't do in the day) and as soon as I pick her up she's rooting like mad - there is no way I can hold her off!

I wondering about cluster feeding in the afternoon/early evening? If she will take it that is  :shock: Had some success yesterday with extending naps using shhh pat & pu/pd. One nap was 2 hrs! So I think what's working best for us is moving towards 4 hr routine as long as I can get her to keep napping longer. Also, I wonder if she will ever take more than one boobful?? :? She just doesn't seem interested in more, although last night I fed her at 5.30 (10 mins = 1 boob) and then at 6.15 she had another 5 mins. It made me wonder whether to try the same thing at her other feeds?? Hmmm, complicated :?

Let me know how things go, and if you find  anything that works - could do with some sleep!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version