Author Topic: How do I get him to go to sleep?  (Read 2282 times)

Offline CaedensMama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
How do I get him to go to sleep?
« on: July 28, 2005, 03:03:04 am »
I have a 6 week old and I am finding it difficult to get him to go to sleep on his own - in his cradle and not in my arms.
I have tried holding him until he gets drowsy and then laying him down and staying there and patting his back and shushing but he keeps either waking up and won't go back to sleep or screaming.
How long should I keep trying before I pick him up? Once he is calm and I go to lay him down he usually will start screaming again (and it is almost always a scream not just a cry!)
I am finding that if I miss his teeny tiny window, he tends to get upset and often cries before falling asleep - even in my arms. He falls asleep best upright by my shoulder with his paci and a slight jiggle or bounce and sometimes shushing.
Any advice would be wonderful - I would really like to get him on the road to going to sleep on his own.
Thanks so much - Jen
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011

Offline CaedensMama

• Hand Full of Blessings
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 18:16:46 pm »
Any advice or help?
It's noon here and Caeden just spent 20 minutes crying in my arms and he is now almost asleep in them. I am not really a fan of CIO, but it seems that is what he keeps doing. I feel so bad, nothing makes him happy, but I feel better at least holding him. Should I try letting him CIO in the cradle?
I have been trying really hard not to miss his window.... but he teb=nds to put himself to sleep crying more often then not.... help!
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)

Offline sa

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 19:20:18 pm »
i think 6 weeks is a difficult age. my DS was exactly the same when he was that age, and he would cry and not sleep for over 6-7 hours ! i really understand how you feel.

do you swaddle? baby needs around 20mins to fall asleep. so you will need to do PAT/SHH for 20mins. initially you PAT/SHH until he is in deep sleep and put him in the cot. then, you can try PAT/SHH until he is drowsy and later you can put him down when he is awake.

oh, and check this thread "what do you do with an overtired baby" at the general sleep forum, there are lots of tips of how to handle overtired baby at your DS age.

http://www.babywhisperer.com/forum/help-what-do-you-do-with-an-overtired-baby-vt37606.html?sid=148e4d7cf64c0791ce7767d9138fdce1

HTH.
mum to samuel 25JAN05
textbook/angel baby

Offline CaedensMama

• Hand Full of Blessings
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 20:07:37 pm »
I do swaddle, he does like it and I think he knows it means time to sleep. Often though when he gets tired his arms come out and then he gets frustrated!
Thanks for the suggestions though - i will try them!
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)