Author Topic: 9 Week Old - Taking only 2.5 to 3 oz every 3 hours  (Read 1839 times)

Offline gamom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
9 Week Old - Taking only 2.5 to 3 oz every 3 hours
« on: August 16, 2005, 01:50:17 am »
Hi!  I'm new to the boards.... We just started Tracy's program for our daughter about a week ago - and its going pretty well.  My biggest question deals with the amount of formula that my daughter eats - she is taking 2 to 3 oz. every 3 hours - except in the late afternoon/early evening, then it seems that she wants to eat 2 oz every hour or so. 

She isn't one that always falls asleep eating  - although she sometimes does - but more often than not, she just stops feeding, and will push the nipple out of her mouth with her tongue - pretty much saying "no more"!

Any ideas on (1) if this seems to be enough formula for her?  (She is 10 lbs, 13 oz) (2) how to get her to eat more at each feeding? 

I think if I can get her to eat more, she might sleep longer at night (now she generally goes to bed around 8, last bottle at 7:30, and then I either dreamfeed her around 10 or she wakes and wants a bottle then.  She then wakes around 2AM and 6AM.

Thanks!! 
Lisa

Offline Mariek

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 11:26:59 am »
Hi Lisa

The usual guidelines given on amounts of formula are 2.5-2.7oz per lb of body weight in a 24hour period.

How old is your little one? Could it be that she's not getting the milk quick enough so is losing interest? You could try a faster flow teat to see if that helps.

Have you tried winding her and then trying her with the bottle again. If she's swallowing a lot of air it could be that its uncomfortable to eat more or that she's feeling full because of it.

HTH. Let us know how you get on.

love
Marie

Offline loliac

• Doing this all over again!
  • New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 10
  • I love my little brother!
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 15:48:20 pm »
We went to a faster flow nipple right around 8-9 weeks. It really helped for us. Good luck!
-Lori

Offline corrina01

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 14:35:41 pm »
I had the same problem, my lo was only taking 3 -4 oz every 3 hours.  When my bf suggested to put her a medium flow teat. She is now taking 4.5 - 6oz every 3.5 to 4 hours and happy with it.
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline gamom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2005, 01:36:27 am »
Thanks for the information!  I have tried a faster flow nipple and she is doing much better!  She is up to 3.5 to 4 oz every 3 hours.. and I think she might be ready to try a 3.5 hour schedule soon...

I appreciate all the replies!!

Lisa

Ainsley Paige 6/13/2005