Author Topic: Systematic awakening  (Read 4154 times)

Offline celina

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 27, 2005, 07:57:40 am »
My son is now 13 months, full breast feeding. Breast feed is still his main food intake. 22.5lbs.
I am softhearted and weaknerved parent, I just can't or won't listen to my baby crying it out. A program called "Systematic awakening" may work as well as crying it out, though perhaps a bit more slowly.
HOW:
keep a diary of my son's nighttime awakenings for a week so I will have an idea of the usual times.
Then, set my alarm clock for about half an hour before I expect the first howl. At the alarm, get up, wake the baby, and proceed with what I usually do when the ealing is spontaneous ( diaper, feed, rock, or whatever). Anticipate each usual waking in the same way. Gradually expand the time between these systematic wakings and then begin to eliminate them.

My Question is:
1.What if my baby wakes between my awakenings? Shall I respond him, or I shall ignore him?
2. My usually do when he wakes is breast feeding, but he does not suck when he is sleepy.....
3. I have kept three nights record, my son's wakings change everyday, how do I set my alarm?

Thank you.

Offline rachelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 8
  • Oregon/USA
    • my blog
Systematic awakening
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 02:34:10 am »
If he wakes at different times each nite, wake to sleep might not work.  Wake to sleep is for a waking that occurs at the same time each nite.

My suggestion would be to get him started on some more solid foods...he may be waking up hungry.  Can you give me his daily schedule--what/what he eats, when he naps and for how long?  Thanks.
Rachelle
Mommy to
Kiandra Diane 6-11-03
Kalli Louise 9-20-04
And Kiersten Angeline 4-25-06

Offline celina

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 03:36:41 am »
Thank you very much Rachelle.
He wakes at around 8:00 am,
8:30 am breast feed 2-3 mins then play , and get back to breast feed agian, for several times. (I want him to finish in a lump, but he just runs away.)
10:30 am , take some fruit, (but only eats about 1 table spoon only.)
11:30-12:00 breast feed and have a nap. (He sleeps one hour each time, but he only slept 10 mins in the past three days)
1:30 Lunch, porridge 2 table spoon ( I want him to take more, I try to encourage after every bite, but he seems has limitation about it)
3:30 some fruit again, or breast feed
4:30-5:00 breast feed and have a nap
7:30 porridge 1-2 table spoon
9:30-11:00 keep breast feeding until sleep

Mid night
last night for example, wakes at 1:00 am suck+sleep, put down>cry, suck+sleep, and put down again and agin, until 2:30 am.
ANd then get up again 4am, suck and then sleep.
7:13am suck for a while
wakes up at 8:30 am

rachelle, you are so nice to answer me, I haven't slept well for more than one years, I am exhausted, I really don't know how long I can stand.
Thank you very very much!

Offline celina

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 02:45:07 am »
I used to feed him before he takes nap, shall I stop it?
I have delayed his feeding time these few days.
He has breast feed about every three hours, but somethings he cheats to have few sucks, if I don't let him suck, he'll cry, shall I stop this too?
And, still he does not like solid much, I have tried everything , even sweet bread.

Offline rachelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 8
  • Oregon/USA
    • my blog
Systematic awakening
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 03:02:41 am »
sorry it took me so long to get back to you--I missed your second post!

Have you tried giving table foods rather than pureed, runny foods?  At this age he may want to feed himself.  Try cheerios, chunks of banana, peaches, pears, apples, peas, green beans, carrots, etc.  Toast, waffles, sausage, eggs even at this age.  Lunchmeat, cheese, yogurt, and more.  you might try some of these things and see if he will eat.

Also, yes you might want to break the association of feeding with sleep.  I would suggest feeding right after sleeps rather than right before.

HTH
Rachelle
Mommy to
Kiandra Diane 6-11-03
Kalli Louise 9-20-04
And Kiersten Angeline 4-25-06

Offline celina

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 03:45:57 am »
Thank you very very much rachelle.
Actually, I let him try everything on the table, but he just takes few bites , and escape (he can slip from the seat belt.)
 Sorry rachelle, I am Chinese. My English is poor, do you mean that I shall breast feed him after he falls in slepp?

Offline celina

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 04:21:35 am »
oh, I understand now, you mean feed him wgen he wakes up.

well, he needs to suck so so that he can sleep unless I am not home.