Author Topic: 7 days for introduction period?  (Read 2330 times)

Offline LukasMom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
7 days for introduction period?
« on: July 27, 2005, 09:44:56 am »
My lo is at risk for allergies (I have food allergies myself, there are allergies of all sorts on both sides of the family).  HOWEVER, I have been introducing one food a week since she was 5 1/2 months old and so far she has not had any allergic reactions. 
I have even introduced wheat and dairy successfully!  ( I started her on yogurt and bagels and we went from there.)
She is now 12 months old and at this rate she is going to be in kindergarten before I've introduced her to all the beans out there and any meat other than chicken and turkey.  And she is a big eater--she's getting tired of the same old thing!
What do you guys think? At this point can we speed it up a little bit? I'm thinking we might try a 3 or 4 day introduction period or maybe stagger it.  If she hasn't had a reaction in 3 days, she's probably not allergic, right?
I just don't want her to miss out on all that nutrition, especially since at this point, I'm starting to suspect she doesn't have any food allergies.

"I don't understand your crazy moon language!" --The Tick

Offline Livvismum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
7 days for introduction period?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 19:45:33 pm »
It's such a hard thing for someone else to advise on but if it were me I would be inclined to speed things up a little and maybe use a 4 day rule. Just my personal experience with my dd's reactions.

hth
Sara

Offline LukasMom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Yeah, I think so too
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2005, 08:14:06 am »
Yes, I'm definately going to speed it up.  I've already started.  I realized she's actually already had corn, grapes and pork, (that last was an accident at a Chinese restaurant).  So I'm just going to give her some more of those for the next 3 days and throw some additional stuff in there that I'm pretty sure just about no one is allergic to, like beef broth. (Are there really people out there allergic to types of meat?)
Also I think once you have done a certain number of dairy products you can pretty much assume dairy is safe.  At that point I think the only concern is strong cheeses. And this only because of stomach upset, not because of allergy.  So I'm introducing her to some mild swiss and cheddar and I don't think we need a long introduction period for those as long as they don't upset her stomach.
A lot of this is just common sense.  I spend too much of my day thinking about these things!
I introduced blueberries the other day and that was pretty exciting!  And now we're on fish! We're cookin' along!

"I don't understand your crazy moon language!" --The Tick