Author Topic: pureed veggies vs. veggie chunks  (Read 2121 times)

Offline carasmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« on: July 27, 2005, 18:56:22 pm »
DD does a good job of mashing soft foods and swallowing.  She will eat all types of pureed veggies.  However, when I cook them and just give her small chunks, she balks.  She will definitely put them in her mouth and taste them, but as soon as she mashes them against the roof of her mouth- she does a slight gag and then spits them out. (Maybe she should be chewing them with her gums instead???) I keep trying white potatoes, sweet potatoes, shredded carrots, squash (all types), and can't even remember what else.  I even put gravy on the white potatoes- they are still a no go.  Even fruit juices on the others.  She does love fruit and will eat tons of that. 
But I don't know how to get her to eat the small bits of veggies that she will eat pureed... I have  tried frying, baking, and boiling... I have foregone the pureed stuff for a couple months now, but that still hasn't gotten her interested in some of the veggies that used to be her favorite!  Please give me any suggestions that you have...
Trish

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
pureed veggies vs. veggie chunks
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 19:01:45 pm »
I would just keep offering.  My ds has/had to see something a few times before he will actually eat it :roll: .

Offline carasmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 19:05:39 pm »
Yes, we have been trying for months now... maybe I should go back to the pureed just to get the veggies in?

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 19:07:14 pm »
Have you tried pureed but with small chunks in.  When ds was having baby food it got progressively chunkier as you went from baby to toddler food.

Offline carasmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 18:20:18 pm »
I will try that... she never went for the mashed food... I guess it was too dry.  She was at the point where she wanted to do it all herself, so we moved to finger foods very quickly.  But what you are suggesting is a really good idea; I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes!
Trish

Offline carasmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2005, 02:21:59 am »
Bummer... that didn't work, she still spits the chunks out!  And she eats finger foods really well.  I guess it's just a texture thing...

Offline carasmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 19:18:58 pm »
An update for anyone who may be having an similar issue...
She will the veggie chunks if I mix them in with a fruit puree. :roll: I guess she is over the "won't let Mommy feed me" phase.

Offline Meg's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2005, 16:19:59 pm »
We have had exactly the same issue...spoon....from mom...no way!  So we too have been on all finger food but won't eat veg that way.  Can you please give a bit more info on what you did - which combos and if it is still working?

Thanks a bunch.

Offline carasmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2005, 18:35:06 pm »
She will now let me feed her from a spoon for part of the meal... in fact really likes the fruit purees, so we still do those for breakfast mixed with toddler cereal and milk.  And for dinner, I can put little chunks of veggies, like green beans and sweet potato in with a fruit puree and she will eat them!  But she won't eat those veggies as just finger food... I will keep up the fruit purees as long as she lets  me!  She eats lots of other chunky finger food, so I don't know why the aversion to veggies.  Oh, and she won't eat the veggie purees anymore... I guess I waited too long to retry and now she doesn't like them. :roll:
good luck
Trish