Author Topic: Nothing will break the 45 or less minute naps!!!  (Read 2766 times)

Offline jennbull

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Nothing will break the 45 or less minute naps!!!
« on: July 28, 2005, 01:11:04 am »
My son has ALWAYS taken a 45 minute nap or less.  I have tried to go in and pat/shhh him to sleep before he fully awakes and that does not work.  He wakes up even more.  I have tried letting him soothe himself and that turns into a screaming fit immediately.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  My son is so tired, overtired most of the time, and I don't know how to fix it.  I also have a hard time with the 4 hour easy bc he can't stay awake that long bc he is always tired.
Thanks!!!
 :shock:

Offline frankiesmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 01:13:45 am »
Uggh, that is the worst.  THere is a lot of info on here b/c a lot of us went through it at that age and it is so frustrating!  Can you give us a sample of his schedule?  That will probably help.  I know with us, it worked to increase his awake time slowly and do a long wind down.  For you, if you think he is overtired, try a very long wind down earlier and see if that helps.

Anyway, give us your schedule and see if we can help you!

Kim

Offline jennbull

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 01:29:49 am »
Well, my schedule is a little crazy and unpredictable but here is what we try to accomplish.

7:00  wake
7:00 bf
8:30 cereal and veggies or fruit
9:00 nap  (45 min or less)
10:30ish bf  (try to go till 11:00 but tough)
12:00 ish nap  (tough depending on when he woke from other nap)
2:00 bf
4:00 catnap  (ideal but never make it till then bc too tired)
4:30 bf (must feed this early or will not be hungry at 6:00)
6:00 cereal and veggies or fruit
7:30 bath, routine etc.
8:00 bedtime

We try to accomplish this, but very tough to do.

Thanks for replying so fast...

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 01:59:41 am »
If this is any consolation, I have never never never been able to break Kelsey from 30 minutes naps.  But just this past week, she magically on her own has begun taking at least one 1.5 hour nap.  The other 2 naps may only still be 30 minutes, but sometimes an hour.  I'm grateful for sure.  I had stopped trying to extend her naps.  She managed to move from 20 to 30 minutes around 3 months.  She moved into 4 hour feeds on her own, even though she ends up with EASAE, she can make it hunger wise till 4 hours.  Maybe your lo could do EASASE?  I don't know if this is any reassurance to you or not, but I held out because I had read many times that her naps could lengthen on her own around 6 months.  I think it's because she's much more active, and, therefore, more tired.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline jennbull

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 16:40:25 pm »
So if he only takes 30-45 minutes naps, what is a good amount of wake time?  He gets tired at like 1.5 hours awake.  Is that too soon to already take another nap?  That means he would take like 4 naps.

Thanks. :?:

Gigismom

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 18:53:17 pm »
i think i just replied to another one of your posts, but here i am again.  my lo took 4-5 naps a day at that age because her naps were so short.  they lengthened all by themselves around 6.5 months.  all i did was lengthen her awake time and that seemed to help.  don't stress!  also, my lo ate every 2.5 hours because that was the length of her cycles.  i couldn't extend it for the life of me.  but it worked itself out.

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005, 19:35:48 pm »
I would let him sleep when he's tired.  When they wake after 30 or 45 minutes, especially if they wake up crying, they are not fully rested.  If you can't get him to resettle, get him up and let him go back to sleep when he shows you tired signs.  But don't miss a feeding time.  This is just my humble opinion.  I'm no expert.  I never feed Kelsey if she wakes early, we simply have more A time.  I keep her feedings on a consistent schedule, give or take a little.  She has just started taking 2 1.5 hour naps on her own now.  Some babies just have to grow into it is what her ped. told me.  It has to do with brain development I believe.  However, if you are willing to try, there are so many great posts with advice on extending naps.  Just keep in mind that all babies are different, and you have to do what works best for yours.  EASY is a guideline, not a hard-fast rule.  Good luck!!
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline Meg's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2005, 21:21:32 pm »
Quote (selected)
So if he only takes 30-45 minutes naps, what is a good amount of wake time? He gets tired at like 1.5 hours awake. Is that too soon to already take another nap? That means he would take like 4 naps.

That darn 45min nap starts a cycle that can be confusing - because they only had 45min of sleep, they can only stay awake 1.5hrs and becasue they have only been up a short time (1.5hrs), they only need 45min of sleep!

If you gradually  increase A time (15min every 3 days - if he can't do that then work up more slowing 5 or 10min every 3 days).  When my LO was this age 2.25 hr of A time - was the magic number for us.

(she is a reformed 45min napper several times over...she does the short nap everytime she wants to drop a nap).