Author Topic: Which bottle to drop first?  (Read 6383 times)

ainsma

Which bottle to drop first?
« on: July 28, 2005, 17:26:37 pm »
I was wondering when do most people start dropping bottles for their babies that are on solids.  My dd is 7 months and takes 4 bottles, she has 2 solid feedings- lunch and dinner.  She will not take much from first bottle-only 4 oz and I haven't added solids to the morning yet.  I wonder if the first bottle should be the one to drop once I add breakfast because she does good on her other 3 bottles.  Please let me know when you guys went from 4 to 3 bottles and which one first.

Daniel's mummy

Which bottle to drop first.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 15:46:47 pm »
My DS is 6 months old and I have recently started to drop his 2nd feed (around lunch time).  This was the advice given by my health visitor and it seems to have worked well.  Daniel is a big baby (21 lb) and just LOVES food.  He eats a lot at lunch time so doesn't seem to miss the bottle.  I just make sure that he has some water after his food to avoid any constipation etc...

So now he has a 6 oz bottle with his breakfast (around 7am), a 6 oz bottle mid afternoon (about 2pm) and a 4/5oz bottle with his tea (around 6pm).

HTH

Hazel

Offline sa

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 06:10:55 am »
hi hazel,
my DS is 6 month old too. i do 5 feed, 7, 11, 4, 7, DF 11pm.

i am thinking if i should drop his 11am feed as well. as yesterday he would not take a sip from his 11am bottle.
i normally do milk feed at 11am then solid at 12.30pm. he will need a nap at around 2pm (2hours until 4pm).
do you feed your lo solid earlier?
i don't want him to fall asleep on the bottle before his nap. so, if i drop the 11am bottle, shall i wait until 4pm? or move the bottle before his afternoon nap? bit confused here  :?
mum to samuel 25JAN05
textbook/angel baby

ainsma

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 21:39:09 pm »
I'm glad someone has finally replied!  My dd is not taking much from her 11:00 am bottle either but does well around 12:30 with solids.  She is not very big though so I don't know if I should take a bottle away but she's gone from drinking 7-8 ounces at 11 to 4-5 ounces.  I have the same question for hazel if I do drop the 11 bottle do you think I should wait until 4 to give her the next bottle like I usually do.

Daniel's mummy

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 08:39:52 am »
Daniel usually has his solids at about 11.30 now.  Then sleeps from about 12.30 - 2.00.  I then usually give him a 6oz bottle at about 2.30/3.00 I just see this as his mid-afternoon snamck).  He then has his solids at about 5.30 and his last bottle at about 6pm.  He gets very sleepy early evening so we tend to try to get him to bed by 7 at the latest.  This means his last feed has to brought forward a little to around 5.30/6pm.  He is a big baby (21lb) and we have never had any trouble with him not seeming hungry.  I know others might find this routine a bit too 'squashed'!

Offline Samanthas mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 08:56:23 am »
I am just going through the same thing at the moment with my dd.

I have already started to drop the DF (from memory Tracy mentions starting to drop this around 7 months). We are currently down to 4oz at 9:30pm having previously given her 6oz at 11pm.

I have also however decided to start dropping her 11/12am feed as she was taking 6oz but then not wanting much in the way of solids at 12:30/1:30. I know milk is still an important part of their diet up until 1 but at the same time I think she should be eating more solids at lunch.

According to the advice from my health visitor and the back of my formula carton babies of 7-12 months should be taking on average 20oz of milk per day. Including the 11am feed my dd was taking on board (on average) 26oz.

It seems to work out that the 11am feed is the one most babies seem ready to drop first. As she is still having some milk at 11/12, I give her solids at around 12:30/1:30 and then a further bottle at around 3/4pm (when she has woken from her 2nd nap) and then dinner at around 5:30/6pm - so as far as milk is concerned I am generally still following 4 hour EASY. All of her timings of course depending on when she wakes up which can be anything from 6:45 to 7:45 (the latter not occuring very often :lol: )
Sam's Mum

Daniel's mummy

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 12:25:48 pm »
Even starting the day at 6.45am seems like a dream at the moment.  Daniel seems to want to start his day at about 5.30!  Needless to say, I DON'T!

What time does Samantha go to bed at night?  I keep praying that one day soon Daniel will decide he actually wants to sleep in til about 7am.  Not convinced at the moment, but we'll keep hoping.

Offline Samanthas mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2005, 13:12:29 pm »
She generally goes down around 7 - 7:30 at the latest and it normally takes her about 15 minutes to drop off.

How many naps a day does Daniel have?

Sam is on 2 and of course again depending on when she wakes she normally has one from about 9:30/10 until 11/11:30 and then a second one 3 hours from that around 2/2:30 until 3:30-4pm. This means she can then go until 7ish before going to bed.

5:30 would make me feel  :shock: for sure. I often feel like that getting up at 7 but then I am not a morning person at all  :wink:
Sam's Mum

Daniel's mummy

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2005, 09:25:03 am »
Daniel's still on three naps a day.  Usually about 8.00-9.30.  Then again about 12.30 - 2.00 and then another one around 4.00 til about 4.45.  His routine is being messed up a bit recently.  Think it's a mixture of him teething (so he seems quite tired all the time) and also getting ready to change to 2 naps instead of 3.  Some days he can get through on 2 but it all depends on when he gets up.

My husband and I have just celebrated our 3rd wedding anniversary yesterday  :D so we booked into a nice hotel whilst my parents stayed over to look after Daniel.  Every night for the past week Daniel has been waking at least once in the night.  Of course he slept right through last night!!!  :o  He must just know!  Still, it made their job easier I guess.  (I still wlke up at 4.30am and then couldn't get back to sleep.  Typical.