Author Topic: When to start introducing finger foods?  (Read 2417 times)

Offline Jrolph

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
When to start introducing finger foods?
« on: July 28, 2005, 20:26:43 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I don't know when to start introducing finger foods.  My DS is almost 8 months and I have tried giving him cheerios but he doesn't chew them completely and sometimes he starts to choke on them.  I am worried about trying anything else because I know that the cheerios will disolve.  Any help would be appreciated with this since I am terrified that he might choke.

Thanks,
Jen

Offline Andrea K

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Finger foods
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 21:20:51 pm »
Hi Jen,
    My daughter is just 8 months and we started Cheerios 2 weeks ago. She actually threw up the first time we tried them, but she still wanted to play with them. We kept a very close watch and a few days later she had figured out how to mush and chew them. She does have 2 bottom teeth that really help out- does your son have any teeth yet? Just wondering if this could be the reason? Teeth or not, I think that with trial and error, and as long as he is getting other solids, he'll figure out the chewing part soon. You can always give teething biscuits in the meantime- he can't choke on those (although they can be broken into bits so keep a close watch!)
  Good luck!
    Andrea : )
First time Mom to Sofia

Offline Jrolph

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 23:29:42 pm »
Hi Andrea,

Yeah my DS has 8 teeth, but I think because the rest of the food that he eats he can just pretty much swallow when we give him cheerios he thinks he can do the same.  Sometimes he is pretty good with them and then just when we think he has the hang of it he starts choking and gagging.  I guess I'll just have to keep trying and hope that he will soon figure it out.

Thanks,

Offline jubee

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 01:17:19 am »
Hi

It may help to get them a little wet with milk or water so that they mush easier in the mouth.  You are right, just keep at it.  :D  We made the mistake of not keeping at it because the gagging scared us and at the time didn't know that it was normal.  I guess this is a crucial time you are approaching when most kids learn to start chewing food (from what I have read).  Good Luck.  :)
Julie