Author Topic: Platex bottle suck!  (Read 2894 times)

Offline Barbara

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
Platex bottle suck!
« on: July 28, 2005, 23:42:18 pm »
What is wrong with me?  Why can't I get Platex bottles to work correctly?  Would someone please explain to me how to get the milk out of the nipple?

Last night I decided to try a different bottle for Lane's 3 am feed.  I pushed on the linner so that the air went out of the bottle and the formula came up into the nipple.  I then placed the bottle in Lane's mouth.  He sucked and sucked and sucked but didn't get any milk.

I had the right nipple.  I tried to manupulate the nipple with my fingers and didn't seem to get any formula out.  I know there is a hole in the nipple and got some out.

So what did I do wrong?  I am getting sick of Avent bottles.  Loved them with Carl but the new batch we bought for Lane leak like crazy!!!!  We are ready to throw them all away but if I can't figure out the other bottles we have I'm stuck.
Barbara
AUTISM ~ See the potential!
DS1  8
DS2  6
DS3  4

Offline Tonya

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 252
Platex bottle suck!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 00:43:40 am »
What flow nipples are you using?  I have used the Playtex nurser's all along, and LOVE them!

How old is your lo?  That might make a big difference in the flow of nipple you are using.

My first suggestion would be to just buy the next flow, and see how that goes.

Also, the liners for the Nurser's now are "self standing" although they still make the old kind - I could never figure those out!  We get the self standing ones (pre-formed) and I LOVE them!!

Let me know what else I can do to help!
Tonya
Mom to Nathan - "Chunky Butternut", 02/18/04
           Madison - "Princess Pea", 11/29/06

Offline Noelle

• Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
Platex bottle suck!
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 03:05:57 am »
Just a thought.....when you pushed the air out...did the liner happen to get pushed up into the nipple?  I use to to push the air out with John, but I didn't bother with zoe after the first couple of weeks and haven't noticed a difference....

Is it all nipples that do this?? Maybe this one has "malfunctioned"...even though never heard of that happening  :lol:  :wink:
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline Xavier and Erica's mommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 13
    • learn about Xavier's Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
Platex bottle suck!
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 04:41:39 am »
Barbara,
I have a huge amount of Dr. Brown's I am Planning on getting rid of.  If you are interested we can meet somewhere between our houses (I am in Shakopee, 20 min SW of the twin cities)  I'll give them to you and you would just have to get some new nipples for some of them.  I recommend them as the best bottles out there!
Jennifer
Xavier  10-20-01
Erica     12-1-04

Offline webfoot

• Showing Appreciation 7
    • Bug n' Belle
Platex bottle suck!
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 06:07:22 am »
I have used the Playtex nurser w/ all three kiddos, LOVE it, esp the fact that I can throw away the liner and not worry about sterilizing the bottle. I've never had an issue like this. Maybe you have a bad nipple? I use the rubber orthodonitc nipple which it doesn't come with, but it is exactly the same as the MAM paci so all my kids took right to the bottle as that's what they were used to. I'd buy a new nipple and try it.

BTW the ones I use leak too... I think they all leak. GRRRR  :cry:
Tanya

Kyle 12/27/01
Amy 3/28/03
Evan 4/12/05
Addy 4/29/10

Visit me on etsy!

Offline christiansmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2005, 03:16:21 am »
I used the Dr. Brown bottles and I loved them.  We had no trouble with leaking or nipples not working.  They were hard to find where I live.  Good Luck!! :)

Offline momtocheyenne&toby

• Showing Appreciation 19
Platex bottle suck!
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2005, 18:59:09 pm »
Is it the formula clumping?  Toby's nipple gets stuck sometimes because a particle of formula has lodged in the hole.  I noticed it got bad when I went from feeding 6 oz to 8 oz and had less shaking room.
Cheyenne Summer 6-18-02
Toby James 12-17-04

Offline jacks mom

• Showing Appreciation 18
  • San Diego, California!!!
Platex bottle suck!
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2005, 19:55:46 pm »
With the playtex bottles you can't just squeeze the liner to get the air / milk out. You have to pinch the nipple while you are doing it. Just like if the baby was drinking from it. Just pinch it with your thumb and pointer finger while you squeeze the liner with the other hand. I guarantee this will work. I forgot to tell my mom one night when she was babysitting charis as a baby, and she almost had an anxiety attack,  :lol: , then she called me and I told her. Very simple solution.  :D
Jennifer

Jack 6/01/01
Charis 5/15/03