Author Topic: In the name of all that's (un)holy, what IS this?!?  (Read 3895 times)

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
In the name of all that's (un)holy, what IS this?!?
« on: July 29, 2005, 00:56:44 am »
The last two days, Natalie has been an absolute NIGHTMARE to get down for any naps after her first one and for bedtime. This in contrast to two days ago, when she woke at 6AM (and would NOT go back down, so up we got), took 4 90-minute naps and took maybe 3-5 minutes to go down for each of them (the last one and bedtime took longer, but still not bad. :)). My diet hasn't been markedly different, my caffeine intake was less yesterday than today but yesterday was worse napwise, I can't really work out any other things it might be.

We're going to visit the IL's tomorrow till Sunday (yes, that's TWO nights in the dust palace w/only one window air conditioner in the place, and it's not gonna be in the room Nat and I are sleeping in :?), and I shall surely go mad if I'm not able to put Natalie down at least once or twice a day.

And don't even ask me about the ever-earlier wakings which she won't go back down from, no matter how hard I try to convince her that it's still nighttime and treat it as a night waking.

HEEEEEEELLLLP!!!!!!!

Offline GG

• Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2005, 05:24:12 am »
Could it be a growth spurt?  Can you think of ANY change in your routine at all?  Also, it sounds like you're anticipating a stressful weekend. Maybe Natalie is picking up on that?

(Boy, it sounds as if you and I can exchange some stories about experiences at the IL's homes. Thankfully DH acknowledges it and wants to stay at a hotel next time we head out there. ) :wink:
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Gigismom

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2005, 20:50:50 pm »
i'm not sure about the trouble with naps, but as for the early wakings, my lo started to do that around 4 months of age.  sometimes she woke as early as 4:30 am.  usually it was around 5:30 though.  i could not extend this no matter what, so we just rolled with it. now we are putting her to bed later, about 8pm and she is sleeping til 6:30 or 7am.  maybe your lo is ready for longer wake times and to drop a nap.  this may be why she is harder to put down, she is not tired enough.  also, if she is getting too much day sleep, this may cause the early am wakings.

Offline GG

• Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2005, 02:09:29 am »
Quote from: Gigismom
also, if she is getting too much day sleep, this may cause the early am wakings.

I'm going to contradict you and say that it's possible that too little sleep during the day is causing the early morning wake ups.  For some reason my DS decided between 3 and 4 months old to start waking up at 5:30 AM.  Like you, I rolled with it (and looked forward to the first nap so that I could get some sleep!!).  I've noticed, however, that when he has good naps during the day and isn't kept up too long during the day, he will sleep until 7ish AM (albeit with 2-3 quick feedings during the night).  Yesterday he didn't sleep enough and this morning, sure enough, he woke up at 5 AM.

My experiences have been opposite of yours but it's possible that both could cause early morning wake-ups.  It's stuff like this that make motherhood so much FUN isn't it?!   :?
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna