Author Topic: Worried about her weight!!  (Read 2909 times)

Offline Ladybird

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • UK Chick Living in Canada
Worried about her weight!!
« on: July 29, 2005, 17:15:37 pm »
Hi

My dd is 9.5 months and weighs 16lb 9oz which I know is not too bad (25th percentile) however she is teething (none yet but swelling bottom front) and she is refusing mostly everything I try to feed her, including her bottles

I manage to get her to take about 6oz in the morning but then she refuses breakfast, then lunch she screams and pushes my hand away, and so it goes on, in total yesterday she only took about 15oz formula and very little food

i did however (and can often) get her to take ff yoghurt with fruit...how long can she survive on just this without losing weight (oh she will take chunks of cheese too)

I am so worried I think my frustration is being detected by her and she is becoming hysterical at mealtimes
Autumn Mae Brooke born Oct 12 2004
Evie Louise Brooke born Sept 16 2006

Offline jayne

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 19:02:06 pm »
try not to worry and offer her some food more often... i really wouldnt worry about it too much.. just make sure she doesnt get dehydrated if she isnt taking her bottles... when my dd's are/were teething i would give them lots of popsicles...i even made some with fruit...

i have a mold i got at crate and barrel but i bet you can get them at walmart...but i put in watermelon and applejuice, yogurt and peaches, we even did pudding---you can do any fruit and just mix it with applejuice (or any juice) if it is too thick.. this way she can get something cold for her teeth and also get good fruits in...
jayne

dd#1  05-14-2001
dd#2  08-06-2004

Offline Ladybird

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • UK Chick Living in Canada
Thanks
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 20:24:22 pm »
I suppose as a first time mum I worry too much, she will take juice (very diluted, practically water) but I was trying to ensure that her drinks were milk (she would swig her sip cup realise it was milk and put it down again) so she is obviously thirsty I was just trying to force the milk so I will chill out and give her juice and try the popsicle idea,

Thanks so much
Autumn Mae Brooke born Oct 12 2004
Evie Louise Brooke born Sept 16 2006

Offline jubee

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2005, 02:25:12 am »
Hi!

Just to let you know it sounds like lots of babies go through this when they are teething.  Our ds had a horrible time with teething when he was about your dd's age.  He did exactly what you describe...pushing the spoon away, sealing his lips, and crying when offered food.  He did take his bottle, but had a tough time with anything else.  The popsicles mentioned above sound like a good idea.  We gave our ds tylenol to help with the pain a bit.  It was just a rough time altogether.  Hopefully it will pass soon.  She will be fine :D Hang in there and don't get too stressed.  I know my son definitely knew that I was stressed about his eating and at the time I didn't realize what a mistake it was to make an issue of it.  I still feel stressed about his eating but for different reasons now!  If its not one thing its another :!:
Julie

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2005, 02:37:46 am »
Ewan would do this when he was teething as well, but once the teeth were through he usually made up for it.  Try not to worry, she won't starve herself :D .

Offline tomato

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2005, 07:59:27 am »
hello..i am too worried about her weight.. my DD had just a slight gain from a mth and a half ago. and i wasn't worried back then because I thought the only nourishment she needs was just milk and wasn't interested in solids and sometimes the most i can get 2 ice cubes trays to her other time just half or one.  also I thought because of her teething but it just seems like it takes forever.  However, now i am really worried about her not eating enough.  Can someone please assure me that this is alright? 
thanks xx