Author Topic: 5 1/2 month old switching to 4 hr EASY & now night wakin  (Read 2171 times)

Offline mlindsey

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
5 1/2 month old switching to 4 hr EASY & now night wakin
« on: July 30, 2005, 09:15:50 am »
i am trying to switch my 5 1/2 month old to a 4 hour EASY (she has been on 3 hr EASY since week 1).  She has been a little behind because of reflux.  She can only eat 3-4 oz at a time.  i have made sure that she is getting the same amt of formula (about 30 oz total)...w/ a cluster feed in the evening & dream feed.   She has been teething (but since 3 months..so i don't think it's that).  She has also been rolling over...but has been doing that since 4 months & has learned to sleep on her tummy...so i don't think it's that either.  She sometimes wakes before her dreamfeed, which is usually 11pm.  But it's not from hunger b/c she won't take much at that time.  i have fed her a few times early...but i don't want to continue this habit.  After the dream feed she wakes about every 2 hours.  I will pick her up & put in her paci & she usually goes back to sleep pretty quickly.  However, i am just wondering why she waking.  & if i am doing the right thing by switching her schedule.  She seems to be doing fine with staying awake for 2 hrs (she has been a little fussy.  so sometimes i let her play quietly or let her wind down for a longer period of time) & she usually sleeps the full 2 hour nap (2 x day)...with 2 other short naps...1 in the evening & 1 in the morning.  i do end up feeding her at 5:30am or 6am...but she really does seem to be starving at this point.  & she usually goes back to sleep until 7am.  However, this throws off the EASY schedule...i let her stay up for a little bit & then try to get her to sleep for 45 min...in order to go back to EASY for the rest of the day.  Eventually i hope that she will sleep until 7am.  :)  Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?  Am i doing the right thing?

Offline mlindsey

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2005, 09:19:26 am »
i forgot to mention that i have also tried the wake-to-sleep method.  it has worked in the past...& this time it worked while we were waking her...but didn't last when we stopped.  we started trying it again last night...but it must have been too close to the time when she was about to wake up.  15 min later she woke & was difficult to get back to sleep.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!!

Diego's Mama

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 12:00:28 pm »
How do you normally help her fall back to sleep?  pat/shhh?  pu/pd?  Does she use a pacifier or suck thumb/fingers?

Does she feed during the nightwakings?

Any switches in your household?  Visitors? A parent travelling?

Have you started solids?

Think she might be cutting a tooth?

Offline mlindsey

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 15:01:53 pm »
In response to your questions...

If she is on her tummy...i will just pat her bottom & shhh.  (i'm not sure if this is the pat/sh method Tracy talks about).  If she is on her back, i will pick her up & put in her paci.  i will hold her for a few minutes & then put her back down.  (She usually sucks her fingers to goto sleep...& rarely takes a paci).  & sometimes i just wait to see if she will go back to sleep on her own. 

A few months ago during some night wakings she would take a full bottle...but now she goes back to sleep quickly...so i haven't had to feed her.  We are trying wake to sleep again...but since she is waking several times in the night she still wakes around 4am.  but then goes back to sleep pretty quickly. 

nothing has really changed in our household.  we always have lots of visitors.  But we did take a trip about 2 weeks ago (for 3 days in the mountains).  She was all messed up then (crying through all her naps)...& maybe she hasn't really returned back to normal.  Do you know if the altitude can affect babies??  Maybe this is why she has started waking often!!?!?

i haven't started solids (probably will do this in 2 weeks after we return from vacation).  She will be alittle over 6mths..but i don't want to change anything else in her schedule while on vacation.  Now i'm a little scared to go!  ...worried she won't sleep & have problems getting back on track. 

She has had teething symptoms since 3 mths...but she still hasn't cut a tooth.  Maybe her pain is getting worse though.  She gets so frustrated when playing sometimes...i don't know if this is her personality, b/c she is overstimulated or maybe just in some pain. 

i would love any suggestions or insight you might have.  Thanks!!
misty