Author Topic: Baby food jars  (Read 3229 times)

Offline velvet

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Baby food jars
« on: July 30, 2005, 15:08:14 pm »
For storing baby food jars it says to refridgerate for up to 3 days.  Is this all?  I opened up a jar of squash and I took a tablespoon out and fed my baby from a little bowl.  I stored the squash jar in the fridge but there is no way he would be able to finish the squash in 3 days.  Any ideas on how to get a longer food life from baby food jars?

Offline Gareth - Harvey & Theo's Dad

• Mac Daddy
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 218
Baby food jars
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005, 20:41:05 pm »
Personally, I wouldn't attempt it.  Over here we're given 48hrs, and quite often we've had to throw out before then as the food had a habit of seperating and getting watery.  Are you able to puree your own food?  At least that way you can make a batch and freeze them into icecube trays and use the portions at will.
Gareth

Harvey - 18 Nov 2003

Theo - 24 Dec 2005

Offline Stacie:Emma&Josh Mom

• Showing Appreciation 11
  • USA/Texas/Austin
Baby food jars
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 14:30:41 pm »
I suggest making your own as well because then you only defrost one ice cube amount at a time.  Or if you're buying the larger baby food jars, buy the smaller ones.  We too threw away quite a bit of food since dd wasn't a huge eater, but she moved to finger foods fairly quickly so it wasn't a huge issue.  Good luck!

Offline Schae

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Baby food jars
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 16:20:02 pm »
Wouldn't you be able to take out half the contents of the jarred food and freeze it in an ice tray or something? That way you won't be throwing away food.

I make my own and find it easier, but I don't used ice trays, I use silicone muffin trays as my son loves to eat and the muffin trays allow for larger amounts than the ice trays.  :lol:

Just a suggestion. :wink:
Proud mama to
Luka 22 Feb 2010 Textbook/Spirited
Tiisetso 18 Sep 2010 Textbook/Touchy
and three little angels

Offline Hunter & Sithia's mom

• Showing Appreciation 81
Baby food jars
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 03:07:15 am »
Hunter used to do that too.  It goes away quite quickly, and I would suggest freezing the stuff in portion sizes so that you can use it all.  Try using that new stuff that clings to anything, including itself.  I can't remember the names.

Personally, I only just started making my own baby food, and that's only because Hunter refuses to eat the jarred veggies.  The jarred stuff is sooooooooo much easier.  He's almost 10 months now, and will usually eat our supper by himself chunked up, but lunches are still a puree'd stew or spaghetti or something.

HTH
Beth
Beth
Mom to Hunter 10-13-04
Sithia 20-04-07