Author Topic: Catnap question in almost 8 week old  (Read 2500 times)

Offline heather10

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Catnap question in almost 8 week old
« on: July 30, 2005, 15:17:37 pm »
My son has been establishing a routine for about 3 weeks now as we've been implementing the BW ideas and the EASY routine for him.  We've been napping really well, about 2-2.5 hours each time and he has Actiivity time of 45-60 minutes of which some of that is 4s time.

We've tried to follow the routine in the book for a typical 4 week old (since we started this at 5 weeks) and it says to have 2 catnaps among the cluster feeds in the evening.  I find that these naps really make bedtime a challenge for me.  It is as though those little mini naps are not enough and what he really wants instead of being picked up and nursed is to be put back to sleep for a longer nap, but then we would have 4-5 naps a day and that is too much.

Tracy mentions that this routine can change at 8 weeks to one cluster feed at 5:30-6 so we can try that, but our current routine is roughly this (we don't always wake at 7, so some days are off my 30-60 mins)

The parts in bold are the sections that are concerning me that I want to change, but how?

7:00 Wake & nurse
7:20 Activity time (diaper change, talking, walking about, pictures)
7:45-8:00 first yawn so start 4s and into bed
8:00 Nap
10:00 Wake and nurse
10:20 Activity time
11:00 Nap
1:00 Wake and nurse
1:20 Activity time
2:00 Nap
4:00 Wake and nurse
4:20 Activity time
5:00 Catnap 1 (45-60 mins)
6:00 Cluster feed 1
7:00 Catnap 2 (45-60 mins)
8:00 Cluster feed 2
8:30 4s wind down and into bed
(This last step can last anywhere from 30 mins to 2 hours with some nights lasting until 9:30 before he is down)

How can I consolidate the two cluster feeds into one, and how will that effect his catnaps? 

Perhaps it would be:

5:00 Catnap
6:00 Cluster feed
        Bath, jammies
7:00-7:30 Wind-down and bedtime

I dream feed at 11:00 but I am going to move it back to 10:30 if possible.

Has anyone else had this problem where catnapping twice seems to make baby irritable?
Baby boy - Adam Sean - born June 6, 2005

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005, 14:06:18 pm »
Hi
I sounds as if you are doing great.

We didn't do catnap/cluster feed, i wish we did.   But we did something like this (I know it is not BW). 

E at 7, 10, 1, 4, 7 & 8ish (cluster feed - after bath), 8.30 bed and dream feed at 10.30-11.00.

I don't see any reason you couldn't do it your new way or try ours above.

Also 4 naps is not too many.

Good Luck.

Offline heather10

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 19:41:04 pm »
Michelle, that sounds like close to what we do some days, but it seems no matter what, he is hard to get to bed - almost like that last stretch is a little too long with a feed and a bath.

Maybe it is also a matter of him getting used to going from two catnaps to one cause he is still waking after 45 mins after going to bed, and some nights this means going back in to check on him and replace a paci 5, 6, or more times and then back to the chair for the 4s routine.
Baby boy - Adam Sean - born June 6, 2005

Offline rooby-rooby-roo

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 108
  • Do what you always do - get what you always got
Re: Catnap question in almost 8 week old
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 21:22:57 pm »
Quote from: heather10
How can I consolidate the two cluster feeds into one, and how will that effect his catnaps? 

Perhaps it would be:

5:00 Catnap
6:00 Cluster feed
        Bath, jammies
7:00-7:30 Wind-down and bedtime

I dream feed at 11:00 but I am going to move it back to 10:30 if possible.

This is what i do, except i do another feed after the bath too. It suprises me sometimes that he takes it as it is so soon after the last one, but he feeds well both times. Today he took 15 mins (a long feed for him!) on the breast at 6pm then almost 3oz in a bottle at 7pm - big fattie!! He then goes down well, and i do a DF between 10.30pm and 11pm. (Depending on what i am doing - TV or computer!!) HTH x
Clair - Proud Lesbian Mama to:

*Ruby - spirited angel
*Red - touchy angel
*Rory - all-round angel
*Raphael - blessed with another angel??