Author Topic: Are 45 minute naps okay?  (Read 2811 times)

Offline megbrunskill

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 30, 2005, 15:21:07 pm »
My DD (7 weeks) only takes 45 minute naps - she jolts herself awake as she transitions to the next sleep cycle. I can extend her nap if I stay in her room and wait for the jolt (or sneak back in) and stick her paci in her mouth and shh her for about 10 minutes.
My question is this...can I just wake her up after 45 minutes and have more naps throughout the day instead of 3 1.5 hour naps? She is a little cranky when she first gets up but seems okay with the 45 mintues.
Thanks,
Megen and Selah

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
Are 45 minute naps okay?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005, 14:12:53 pm »
What usually happens w/ that darn 45min nap is because they only had 45min of sleep, they can only stay awake 1.5hrs (or a short time) and because they have only been up a short time, they only need 45min of sleep!

But if you lo is happy and you are happy, then do what works for your family.

That being said...If it were me, I would keep extending the nap.  It will get better, I promise.  It is very normal for infants to jolt from one sleep cycle to another.  Extending now will save you from having to break a well ingrained habit later on.  As 45min will not hold her over and still have her be happy when she is older and can stay awake 2.5-3.0 hrs.

Good luck!  Hope that helps

Offline megbrunskill

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 15:25:03 pm »
Thanks for your reply Michelle. I will try to keep extending the naps. The hard thing is that I am now pretty much housebound if I am going to do this. You mentioned that it will get better... any idea on how long this phase usually lasts.
I tried the 45 minute thing for the weekend and she was really cranky and tired so I think extending is in both our best interests.
I was also wondering for the times that I can't extend her nap is it better to stay in her darkened room and keep trying until nap time is over or should I give up at a certain point? Thanks again.
Megen and Selah

Offline kellyhushhh

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Are 45 minute naps okay?
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 16:22:49 pm »
Hi i have been havin this problem with my eight week son. Have you read the sleep interview with tracy? I have just downloaded it today and it has some really good advice about extending the naps. kelly xx
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/j/judeethan  PASSWORD JUDE

url=http://lilypie.com][/url]

Offline CaedensMama

• Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
Are 45 minute naps okay?
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 16:32:39 pm »
I was just having this same question. Caeden wakes himself up after 45 minutes. If I go right in and give him his paci he tends to wake up even more and really start fussing. I have tried leaving him alone and see if he will go back to sleep, he has been trying to get his fingers to suck on and boy is he getting close! But that doesn't seem to work either.
I go in as soon as I hear or see him start, is that too late? Should I wait in there and try and catch him sooner?
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011

Offline megbrunskill

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 18:16:20 pm »
My daughter is exactly the same as Caeden. I thought she would be okay with the 45 minute naps but she really isn't. My happy, smiling, never crying little girl seems to fade by 3-4pm.
I haven't found any sure fire way of extending her naps...in fact I fail miserably at it on most attempts. I am afraid that going in to early will diminish her ability to learn how to self-soothe.
What have you decided to do?
Right now I am trying to go in at her first noise - I tried waiting in the room but I found that when she started to stir at 45 minutes I was already frustrated by wasting so much time sitting in a dark room that if she didn't settle right away I didn't have the patience to keep trying.
Let me know how things are going!
Megen and Selah

Offline CaedensMama

• Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
Are 45 minute naps okay?
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 19:10:14 pm »
Lately I have been going in after a whimper or two, trying not to go in at the first sound in case he puts himself back to sleep, but if I wait too long he wkes up too much. I have been using a paci and shushing and trying for no more then 30 minutes to get him back to sleep. If it works great, otherwise we call it done and try again next time. Sometimes if he seems really awake or keeps crying we stop sooner and he has gone back to sleep a couple times.
Any other hints would be great!
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011