Author Topic: Cheerios  (Read 1611 times)

Offline Fiona (Leah & Kians Mom)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
Cheerios
« on: July 30, 2005, 18:24:24 pm »
Hi All,
Well after reading so much about cheerios as a finger food I got a small box today for my dd who will not do lumps or finger food. My gosh, they are tiny!!!! Will be so afraid she will choke on them, plus I found them to be very sweet. I also wanted to ask those of you who use corn and peas as finger food, do you mash them up? Again I have such a fear of the size of them, I realise that if she was taking bites she would probably not bite a whole lot more than that but it would be I dont know more mushed or broken up??

Fiona
Mom to Leah 23/09/04

Offline {{{Angela}}}

• Showing Appreciation 12
    • pillowhead designs - hand embroidered goodies
Cheerios
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005, 00:16:43 am »
What kind of cheerios did you get?  I don't find them sweet at all - actually, a little bit salty.  I don't think there is much sugar in them, if you get the plain kind.  If you're afraid of dd choking, you can wet the cheerios a bit with some water or formula.  I did that with ds when I first gave him cheerios (also paranoid about choking here), but after two days, I just gave them to him dry and he was fine.  They soften in your mouth quite quickly.

As for peas and corn, I've read that you should smush peas slightly so that they're not round anymore, but I've never done that for ds.  He seems to mush them up quite well himself.  Corn, on the other hand, I don't even know if he chews or not because I find kernels in his diaper.  Heh.  But the outer coating can be quite tough so you might want to mash them too.  Oh, and fresh corn is much softer/easier than frozen.
Angela
mommy to Xavier and Zinnia

hand embroidered goodness at http://pillowhead.etsy.com

Offline Stacie:Emma&Josh Mom

• Showing Appreciation 11
  • USA/Texas/Austin
Cheerios
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 14:37:07 pm »
At first I mashed the peas a bit, just so that the skins were broken and I broke Cheerios in half at first.  That only lasted a few weeks though and she was eating them whole.  Good luck!

Offline Fiona (Leah & Kians Mom)

• Showing Appreciation 84
Cheerios
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 18:06:03 pm »
Hi,
Well just checked the cheerios box, It's whole grain cereal by Nestle made with corn oats rice and wheat. Is it the same one? And theyare kind of sweet. Haven't given them yet but will try soon. Thanks for the replies. Dd teething so bit off her food so will try the mashed carrott and corn when she is in better form.

Fiona
Mom to Leah 23/09/04

Offline GabrielleD

• Showing Appreciation 55
  • Maryland, USA
Re: Cheerios
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 11:03:27 am »
I think most of the moms are talking about the brand name Cheerios by General Mills (I think they make it). The plain kind is in a yellow box.

Offline Jusser

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Cheerios
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 13:40:52 pm »
Hi girls, just to say I am living in Ireland and the plain Cheerios are quite sweet, but I recently visited my sister in law in Los Angeles and bought them there and they tasted more like a cereal I used to have as a kid called Puffed Wheat (i.e. salty-ish).  I think there's a difference between the cereals in the different countries !  Your kids are probably older but I would want to avoid giving anything sugary to my DS as the longer he can go without the better I think !
Justine - Mum to my gorgeous Happy Lion.

Offline themarlatts

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 05:14:19 am »
THere are two types of Cheerios - plain ones, and then Honey Nut Cheerios - obviously, the honey ones are sweet and the regular ones aren't. (At least here in America)

Gave Cheerios to DS at 6 months and he had no problems - they get really soft quickly.  He eats then everyday!