Author Topic: can someone explain the "mantra" cry to me?  (Read 2794 times)

Offline piaffe

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
can someone explain the "mantra" cry to me?
« on: July 30, 2005, 20:56:53 pm »
I've read Tracy's third book but I can't figure it out! My lo definitely has the "cough"-like hungry cry.

Offline opp2

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005, 02:50:20 am »
I'll try...

When your little one is crying but you just know their crying because they can. My little ones mantra cry is a weaker, longer hunger cry if you know what I mean. When he's hungry or tired he gets really loud and his eyes turn red. With his mantra cry, it's like he's crying because he thinks he has to, not because he needs anything. He usually does it before falling asleep for about a minute or two.

It's not urgent, more like waahhhaaa waaaahhhhaaa. When he's really crying it's like he's almost saying mmmaaaammaaaa...maaammmaaaa....
kaitlin 06/06/02
thomas 21/03/05

Offline heather10

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 13:13:03 pm »
Wouldn't it be great if someone could take a recording of their mantra cry and we could all download it to listen?  The problem is, it sounds like many of us will have different sounding cries :)

I wondered this too as I have been rushing in too much.  I've also started walking DS to the point of his lids closing and then laying him down.  I really don't want to start this.  I would love to know more about the mantra cry as well.

My son does this little burst of a cry, more of a vocalization than a cry, kinda like the cawww of a crow.  I tried to have him do this yesterday but then I worry that the more time I wait before helping him, the longer it takes and the more likely he is to get more tired, so I rescue him  before that can happen.  I just find that this cry can escalate into the real deal - what to do?
Baby boy - Adam Sean - born June 6, 2005

Offline chell

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 94
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 20:32:23 pm »
Hi, I think it is ok to put your lo down at the point he is closing his lids, as he will still be learning how to get himself from light to deep sleep on his own. Not sure about the walking though. I think it may be better to try to get him to this point by sitting quietly in a chair patting and shhss-ing him instead. I used to rock mine and had to undo this, making the transition to p/s ing. The difference is, is that you can p/s in the cot, gradually reducing your input as time goes on, so eventually you will be able to put him down awake.

hope this helps a little.
Cheryl
An obedient soldier fights a fools war

[img=http://www.images/t4.gif=http://www.images/t4.gif]http://www.babywhis

Offline heather10

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005, 02:00:47 am »
good point Cheryl, I will work to undo this this week.  Last week it just seemed I was always answering the door or talking to someone and low and behold he woudl fall asleep in my arms with me walking about and he got to liking it!
Baby boy - Adam Sean - born June 6, 2005